• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really don't know how luffys gonna win this unless he finds a mirror somewhere, gear 4 to buy some time and jump through the mirror. Or he does something like Gear 2nd Max and hits katakuri so fast he can't turn to gum fast enough.

He's definitely going to have to go Gear 4 to win this. Katakuri is able to match everything else he can do, Gear 4 is unique in that his Mochi powers can't mimic it at all given how it works.

IHaveIce

Banned
Just to be clear; Luffy put the shard of glass in his mouth and was crunching on the shards through that whole beat down.
Really? I didn't get that all.

So I don't see how Luffy can win, I forgot that Katakuri is able to see the future.. even a powerup feels not enough, I think outside help is needed

Katakuri launching an Elephant Kick while readying his Yanagi Mochi at the same time is secretly the best thing about this chapter.
Jinbe is finally officially the helmsman. And the only one to see through Luffy's bullshit. Jinbe will keep their heads on straight.
Katakuri bringing out the trident and his awakening powers(?). Looks like he's finally getting serious.

I don't really have much to say about the wave, other than it was a complete non-threat. Wonder if Big Mom is going to finish off Perospero now that the "cake" is gone.

Jimbe is the boss.

I think Luffy needs an ally here, like someone coming from a mirror and helping him beat the other soldiers and brothers so he can focus on Katakuri.

Kain

Luffy is done, the question is who will save him. That or he'll eat the mochi, but that would be creepy as fuck because Katakuri is a paramecia like him.

Cool chapter. As some one that lives near the beach, hearing Jinbe talk about the Green Room was super weird. From now on he will have a surfer bro accent in my eyes.
"Wahh, gonna hit that tasty curve and set up picnic in the green room Luffy-kun"

StarVigil

I wonder if we get another time skip maybe sometime later down the line before we enter the final arc for finding One Piece. Because right now even with some new power up, Luffy is still just a boy compared to the big 4. And then there's also the admirals.
As for the chapter: that's some scary shit right there at the end.

Nice chapter .
Looking forward to seeing what Luffy going to do and also nice of him to make it seem like he okay to the crew.
Jinbei was awesome this chapter , going to be long 2 weeks .

I do like Oda's found the sort of helmsman angle to Jinbe to make sure he has a role on the ship beyond 'yet another strong guy'. Paired off with Nami, who knows the weather so well, someone who knows the seas themselves will be a valuable asset.

Lakuza

the trident is out, hopefully with the ship chase over it can focus on the fight now.
Love the role that Jinbe has now, fits perfectly. :)

LotusHD

Banned
Jinbei is such a goddamned boss. Holy shit.

Even after reading the spoilers, I wasn't ready for how much of a badass Jinbe looked there. Chapter was technically a little much dull, but Jinbe proving he'd be their one and only helmsman made up for it in spades. Was also cool seeing that quick teamwork from everyone.

How dare you. Best admiral.

I have a thing for people who rarely get injured, or talk a lot of shit, finally getting their asses kicked. Just to see the expression on their face, when things finally don't go their way. Kizaru is probably at the top of the list now that Doffy's ass has been beat.

*Roundabout playing in the background*

I need this now.

---

Anyone notice that Chopper shade? Between these ppl last two chapters, he called out everyone's name, even Carrot this chapter surprisingly, but not Chopper's. Only said his name when Chopper wanted to speak to him. I guess we now know who's Luffy's least favorite Straw Hat. Tragic.

Also am I the only one who's actually glad the break didn't end on some tantalizing cliffhanger? I hate when that happens, like imagine if last chapter had the break...

Also guess we know what Carrot's last words would be, as far as this arc is concerned. Same for Chopper in general.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's interesting tart Oda basing the crew and ally formation of the SH on the Yonkou's rather than the jolly Roger's. With the addition of Jimbei that'd be the 3rd commander level member of the crew (with the commander's and captains being the main concentration of the fighting capability of the crew). Combined with the grand fleet it allows for direct like for like confrontation between such crews outside of blackberd for which most his members have direct SH counterparts.

LotusHD

Banned
Also finally Perospero addresses how dumb Big Mom is being with creating a tidal wave when she wants the cake lmfao

He is so fucked

LotusHD

Banned
He should be happy

"Well damn mama looks like you destroyed your own cake looks like you can't eat it, oh well"

Somehow I feel like she won't take it very well. Perospero probably has to lie again.

Also with then needing 10 hours to get there, what happens with Big Mom anyways? Is she going to eat the cake early, or are they going to have her chill for 10 hours lmao

Majukun

He should be happy

"Well damn mama looks like you destroyed your own cake looks like you can't eat it, oh well"

he was probbaly thinking about his well being first..i mean he is a devil fruit user riding a tsunami..if something goes wrong on the way down he and moma are dead..that's probably why he was tryint to persuade her not to do that with the excuse of the cake..then when evertything well he was all like "oh,whatever.."

Kreed

One Piece 881:

It wasn't until this chapter that I realized what's been "bothering" me about Jinbei joining the Straw Hats until now. This chapter with Jinbei showing his Helmsman abilities to the Straw Hats is the first time Jinbei has done something significant for the crew that didn't require his strength/status/being a Fishman, and firmly established what role he needs to play in the crew that they are in need of. Unlike the other Straw Hats, Jinbei didn't have an arc or two where the Straw Hats firmly establish the need for a Helmsman only for Jinbei to show up and display his incredible Helmsman abilities (ex: Sanji, Chopper, Franky, etc...). I think I would have preferred that story telling method for Jinbei too, but this works.

LotusHD

Banned
One Piece 881:

It wasn't until this chapter that I realized what's been "bothering" me about Jinbei joining the Straw Hats until now. This chapter with Jinbei showing his Helmsman abilities to the Straw Hats is the first time Jinbei has done something significant for the crew that didn't require his strength/status/being a Fishman, and firmly established what role he needs to play in the crew that they are in need of. Unlike the other Straw Hats, Jinbei didn't have an arc or two where the Straw Hats firmly establish the need for a Helmsman only for Jinbei to show up and display his incredible Helmsman abilities (ex: Sanji, Chopper, Franky, etc...). I think I would have preferred that story telling method for Jinbei too, but this works.

Meh, nobody got time for that. He's a veteran, he's been slowly dripped to us, so to speak, it's very fitting.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
One Piece 881:

I thought it was implied by him being a fishman and master of fishman karate, and how fishman karate seems to be basically applied fluid dynamics to read and manipulate the air/water currents.

"This guy is all about maneuverability."

Oxn

His real expertise was on display, cowardly running away.

image.php

Red Fire

A big YESSSS for jimbei the helmsman!

The ending confused me though with luffy holding his mouth and the face and what he said and jimbeis reaction

Some say he chewed on the mirror? I don't think so

Some say he was controlled by katakuris attack or brulee? I don't think so

Or he just acted weird so the other strawhats think he is alright and jimbei saw through it, which is what i think happened but why did he hold his mouth?

Ohhhhh wait right now while typing this it dawned on me, i think he didn't want nami and co to hear that he gets beaten so he held his mouth to make no AHHH UHHH sounds

Kornflayx

The stuff with Luffy was so unlike Oda. Reading the reactions and everyone has a different theory on what we're supposed to take away from this.

Usually Oda is really good about conveying stuff like this.

Red Fire

Yeah after reading it a few more times it is pretty clear to me

Luffy doesn't want his crew to see that he gets wrecked by katakuri so they don't have to worry (and don't risk something trying to save him) and pretends he's alright
When talking with them katakuri attacks him. To hide the noises he covers his mouth. To hide his serious face he gives that creepy fake smile. Everyone except for jimbei buys it and they roll with it. That's why he says hurry up I'm waiting, pretending nothing is happening in the mirror world

Anteater

interesting that it'll take another 10hours to get to Sanji, I'm not sure how the fight will go, best outcome is to defeat Katakuri and use the mirror world, but his gear 4 has a cool down, and there's still Brulee. If it ends well it would mean he will have time to take some rest at least, but I still have doubts he could beat them all by himself.

Yeah after reading it a few more times it is pretty clear to me

Luffy doesn't want his crew to see that he gets wrecked by katakuri so they don't have to worry (and don't risk something trying to save him) and pretends he's alright
When talking with them katakuri attacks him. To hide the noises he covers his mouth. To hide his serious face he gives that creepy fake smile. Everyone except for jimbei buys it and they roll with it. That's why he says hurry up I'm waiting, pretending nothing is happening in the mirror world
Is that what that creepy smile was

Big One

Banned
I do wonder if Luffy getting beat down by Katakuri will cause him to go in some type of coma state on their way to Wano. Like maybe this'll cause Luffy to awaken something once he returns to normal DBZ style. Maybe Wano could be like Namek and we're gonna be waiting forever for Luffy to come back, lol.

Chase17

JIMBEIIIIII

Luffy lying to the crew was good. Chopper backstory mention was present.

Didn't realize it would take them 10 hours to get over there. For some reason I thought the 3 hours needed to bake the cake would be cutting it close. Or maybe it's just that they will be going slow since they are presumed dead.

LotusHD

Banned
Carrot's the one who needs to get Perospero. Though probably in the inevitable rematch arc (at Elbaf?)

Who knows what will happen with her, or when it will to be more accurate, but they got 10 hours to kill, with them meeting up at 1 am. Maybe there'll be a full moon tonight lol

The stuff with Luffy was so unlike Oda. Reading the reactions and everyone has a different theory on what we're supposed to take away from this.

Usually Oda is really good about conveying stuff like this.

Seemed pretty clear after a re-read tbh

It's crazy to think that Jinbe has been an important character since... 2009? And he's now finally joining the crew.

Yup, the promised knight is finally here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
JIMBEIIIIII

Luffy lying to the crew was good. Chopper backstory mention was present.

Didn't realize it would take them 10 hours to get over there. For some reason I thought the 3 hours needed to bake the cake would be cutting it close. Or maybe it's just that they will be going slow since they are presumed dead.
It took them all day to go from there to WCI following Pudding's route.

FFS, I know she is saying 'weeeeedddiiiinnnnggg cake' but the panel with her just yelling WEEEEEED and the face on that wave. I am now broken

Something interesting to note with Jinbei.

He was a former Shichibukai who fought Firefist Ace to a draw so we know he is very strong. Does this mean he knocks Sanji out of the monster Trio?

Also...if he was as powerful as Ace was during the Execution arc, does that mean that Luffy, Zoro and Sanji are more powerful than Jinbei and therefore more powerful than Ace who was one of Whitebeard's commanders?

Or are Zoro/Jinbei/Sanji all roughly the same strength give or take a little here and there?

Top Bottom