• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

LotusHD

Banned
Them having
gear 4th
was the only thing I didn't like about the film. It's just my personal feelings that I don't want the latest and greatest thing to get spammed everywhere. Gold was also the only OP film I could really stomach since it felt like it was a REALLY good filler arc almost, with tesaros past being really well done without ever actually having a flashback. Also basically having Doflamingo 2.0 worked out in the end.

Same way I watched all of OP years ago, think Amazon Lily was just happening in the anime when I fully caught up

Regarding your spoiler, I get where you're coming from, but imo, would've been weirder if they didn't use it. Gotta go out with a bang as they say.

I was sitting in my moms living room and a wave of nostalgia hit me because I remember so vividly watching one piece fansubs that I ripped to my PS3 on her big screen. I'm so glad that one piece is still running.

I'm glad we're passed the days of Kaizoku Fansubs

Cwarrior

tumblr_nws9xmfrXo1tp5yuio2_540.gif

tumblr_nixymrxmZV1qa37b3o1_1280.png

The feels franky won me over during the timeskip he was great on punk hazard and dressrosa

As much I love godssop, franky was the real mvp of dressrossa boy put it work, it was his idea to team up with dwarves to take down daffy

By the way the senior pink vs franky fight was 100 times better in the anime then the manga.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There was never a good group doing One Piece fan subbing, let alone a great one.

Trying to find all of One Piece before the simulsubs by Funimation was a painful process. Thank the maker I caught up pretty much exactly as that came into being.

Ray Down

Banned
Novel Ace's author turns out to be Shou Hinata (ひなたしょう), known for Naruto novels and such.

A short novel about Straw Hats will also be included in ONE PIECE Magazine volume 1.

Ray Down

Banned
I know double post, but here's all the info about the OP magazines from Sandman:

- "Novel Ace" volume 1 will focus on how Ace established Spade Pirates.

- "Novel Ace" volume 2 and 3 will handle the story until Ace dies which has not been revealed in manga before.

- Novel Ace's author is Shou Hinata (ひなたしょう), known for Naruto novels and such.

- Oda's long interview

- Special poster drawn by Oda

- "Novel Straw Hat Crew" is a short novel which focuses on each member of Straw Hats. The author is Tomohito Osaki (大崎知仁).

- "Picture Book Light and Darkness -a story of Luffy, Ace and Sabo-" will focus on their childhood.
The author is a picture book artist Shinsaku Nagata (長田真作). We can see his drawings on his website.
http://www.nagata-shinsaku.com/#/

- Katsuya Terada(寺田克也) is responsible for the cover page drawing of Ace novel volume 1.
Katsuya Terada official website
http://cacazan.com/

- Special manga drawn by Oda

- Special manga (Oda from the perspective of his assistants) *unknown author

- Special manga (the daily life of ONE PIECE audience) * unknown author

- Super-realistic bounty poster of Luffy. The poster is covered with wax.

- Article about Straw Hats based on their characteristics

- "Super SBS" includes
- Usopp Gallery Extra
- Question and Answer section in which successive editors (not Oda) will answer questions from audience.
- Many photos section sent from audience
- OP Senryu

- ONE PIECE Magazine is said to be a "gorgeous" mook.

- Release date
Volume 1 (July 7th)
Volume 2 (August 4th)
Volume 3 (September 1st)

turmoil

Banned
Basically I'm interested in all the non-Ace stuff

- Special manga (the daily life of ONE PIECE audience) * unknown author

lol
Arcs:
Seasonal Nakama speculation
Shipping ALL the characters!
Internet rage outburst during breaks
Power levels and feats discussion

Ray Down

Banned
Oda says that when he was a kid reading Shonen Jump, most of the stories tended to be inconsistent. He liked Kinnikuman around that time.
During that period of Jump, they'd introduce a new character(s) in a big fashion one week and the next week, those characters would quietly be phased out.

Mangaka prioritized writing a fun and interesting story above all else and thus consistency took a backseat.
Kids also didn't really care about just issues and would read it regardless so when Oda decided to become a mangaka, he decided he would make everything consistent.
The past and future and all characters would be connected and wouldn't be phased out like in the past. One Piece represents this objective.

However, currently he says that people have become rather nagging about manga. They will look through the various inconsistencies or contradictions with a more fine tooth comb.
He said that in the past Shonen Jump was read almost exclusively by kids but now adult also read jump so that may be one of the reasons for this "new" nagging.
Now, Mangaka, in order to satisfy these older readers, have to make sure everything is correct and doesn't become inconsistent.

Oda himself feels slightly responsible for this. However, when creating a story, making sure everything is connected or all the events have been properly foreshadowed of hinted; "rules" like these do not exist.
He says that, as a challenge, he created a story where everything is consistent but normally you can freely create stories without having to do all of these.
Stories like "the nutcracker and the mouse king", which were created to entertain people are born through this "free" writing.

http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=42229&page=42&p=3791544&viewfull=1#post3791544

Veelk

Banned
Oda's consistency (in the things he wants to be consistent about anyway) has always been the one thing I can respect about OP. He's not wrong that it's possible to enjoy a story without consistency, but it's almost universally better to have it except in a few selective circumstances.

It's a good thing that he raised the standard of storytelling in Shonen in that regard for other mangaka, and he's going "Naw, guys, you don't need to do all that"?

LotusHD

Banned
Maybe it's reverse psychology. "I know most of you other mangaka out there can't consistent for as long as I have been, so don't even bother trying."

Except they do try. We get better manga. Everybody wins.

Calling him the "Brook of Dressrosa" is a stretch, but whatever. And I thought it was Hakuba that took down Dellinger...

Honestly, the main reason I don't fuck with Franky as much (Well, aside from me just liking everyone more atm) is because I dislike characters that need stuff like General Franky in order to be at their strongest. It's just disappointing to look at that character fight, and then I'm like "Wait, why do I care, Franky's not in his mecha suit, so this just got a lot more boring." It'd be one thing if he could access it whenever he wanted, but he can't... So yea.

Just wait, Franky will eventually get some Oda-twisted version of Tony Stark's extremis except it'll be horrifying

The end of the chapter isn't implying what I think it is, right?

If so...that's by far the most fucked up thing in One Piece.

(Also, I think Viz misspelled John Giant as "Jun Giant")

Pein

Banned
I'm glad we're passed the days of Kaizoku Fansubs
Yeah but I can still have a fondness for old sub groups lol. They did their best when we had no official channels. Torrenting batches of anime seems so distant now.
Anyway I was more nostalgic about one piece itself and the not process of how I was watching it.

Them having
gear 4th
was the only thing I didn't like about the film. It's just my personal feelings that I don't want the latest and greatest thing to get spammed everywhere. Gold was also the only OP film I could really stomach since it felt like it was a REALLY good filler arc almost, with tesaros past being really well done without ever actually having a flashback. Also basically having Doflamingo 2.0 worked out in the end.

Same way I watched all of OP years ago, think Amazon Lily was just happening in the anime when I fully caught up
Oh man, I caught up when I saw Luffy vs Lucci in HD, Because HD broadcast anime was still a really new thing that shit blew me away and made me really want to get into it.

Ray Down

Banned

If so...that's by far the most fucked up in One Piece.

Not like we haven't seen people eat humans and OP.

Zeff ate his foot and technically Wapol ate himself.

Ogodei

Oda says that when he was a kid reading Shonen Jump, most of the stories tended to be inconsistent. He liked Kinnikuman around that time.
During that period of Jump, they'd introduce a new character(s) in a big fashion one week and the next week, those characters would quietly be phased out.

Mangaka prioritized writing a fun and interesting story above all else and thus consistency took a backseat.
Kids also didn't really care about just issues and would read it regardless so when Oda decided to become a mangaka, he decided he would make everything consistent.
The past and future and all characters would be connected and wouldn't be phased out like in the past. One Piece represents this objective.

However, currently he says that people have become rather nagging about manga. They will look through the various inconsistencies or contradictions with a more fine tooth comb.
He said that in the past Shonen Jump was read almost exclusively by kids but now adult also read jump so that may be one of the reasons for this "new" nagging.
Now, Mangaka, in order to satisfy these older readers, have to make sure everything is correct and doesn't become inconsistent.

Oda himself feels slightly responsible for this. However, when creating a story, making sure everything is connected or all the events have been properly foreshadowed of hinted; "rules" like these do not exist.
He says that, as a challenge, he created a story where everything is consistent but normally you can freely create stories without having to do all of these.
Stories like "the nutcracker and the mouse king", which were created to entertain people are born through this "free" writing.

http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=42229&page=42&p=3791544&viewfull=1#post3791544

So next someone will go write an absurdist manga where there's some loose canon but mostly random shit just happening however, like if Regular Show were a manga.

Not like we haven't seen people eat humans and OP.

Zeff ate his foot and technically Wapol ate himself.

Well, yeah, but...they're kids!

I figured Law's flashback would be the darkest example of dead kids in OP but...Jesus Christ.

Has Oda been reading Promised Neverlamd?

LotusHD

Banned
Well, yeah, but...they're kids!

I figured Law's flashback would be the darkest example of dead kids in OP but...Jesus Christ.

Has Oda been reading Promised Neverlamd?

I'll say it as many times as I need to: Attack on Neverland
w/ a touch of Game of Thrones for this arc in general

http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread...=1#post3791544

I read this the other day. It's an old interview from 2014.
Consistency has always been one of Oda's strong suits and it's been even more apparent post-time skip.
Every New World arc has bled into each other with characters appearing as far back as 200 chapters ago (Caesar, Momonosuke, Kinemon, Aladdin, Pekoms, Koala) re-appearing and becoming more important to the story.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

If so...that's by far the most fucked up thing in One Piece.

No they didn't. One of the fan translations made it clear that it's not John Giant.

Taborcarn

Great,thanks to you guys I read through all of Promised Neverland and I have another manga to impatiently anticipate the next chapter of.

caliph95

Oda's consistency (in the things he wants to be consistent about anyway) has always been the one thing I can respect about OP. He's not wrong that it's possible to enjoy a story without consistency, but it's almost universally better to have it except in a few selective circumstances.

It's a good thing that he raised the standard of storytelling in Shonen in that regard for other mangaka, and he's going "Naw, guys, you don't need to do all that"?
To be fair something like Mushi shi and Kino journey or what i seen of them doesn't need to be "consistent"

Chase17

Flashback was great, although it got really dark quick.

The 3 things I'd most like to see the rest of the arc:
-Sanji getting some wins (probably going to happen)
-Germa 66 not feeling like a waste of time (not as likely)
-Something good happening to Pekoms (who knows)

Top Bottom