• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Your CoO is weak!

It's even weirder than some are suggesting he the father of the early kids...
219150622d7799268ce7ea8c77bafd15f03516cc_hq.jpg

Perospero is her oldest son, Compote is her oldest daughter. Neither of them has been given ages so no clue who came first.

According to the last SBS, Big Mom started having children 42 years ago, meaning she was 26 when she had her first child.

caliph95

Watching a video and thinking not sure or remember if it was discussed but would the Yonko even have a bounty considering the only people who can take them are other Yonko and Admirals

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Watching a video and thinking not sure or remember if it was discussed but would the Yonko even have a bounty considering the only people who can take them are other Yonko and Admirals

Yes. Unlike the Warlords the Emperors aren't working for the WG. You could turn in any of them for the money if you really wanted to. Blackbeard could have turned in Whitebeard if it wasn't for his recent break in of Impel Down.

Veelk

Banned
I have to say, I'm not happy with this characterization of Big Mom. She now feels like she lacked agency for any of her decisions. She's just this big dumb ravenous idiot who is only acting on the suggestions of others. The only real thing she seems to want for herself is to eat a shit ton. And I'm not sure why. I mean, did we really need Streusan to be the guy who set BM on her path, and not BM herself?

Nothing can be worse than what Oda did with Pudding, but after her, it was Big Mom that I was hoping to come through as someone who was a strong female character. And this just...kinda sucks. She's basically just a nearly mindless monster. And while that can work as a characterization, I didn't want that to be Big Mom's characterization.

The only real mystery to her now is just how she gets her intelligence on others, but it's clear that whatever it is, it's not something she orchestrated herself.

aBarreras

seeing how fucking power big mom is, and how "old" the yonkos are, do you think that the series will have another time jump? i mean, how is that neither of the yonkos has reached raftel? maybe they dont care about it?

whatever the case Luffy is way way way out of his league

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I have to say, I'm not happy with this characterization of Big Mom. She now feels like she lacked agency for any of her decisions. She's just this big dumb ravenous idiot who is only acting on the suggestions of others. The only real thing she seems to want for herself is to eat a shit ton. And I'm not sure why. I mean, did we really need Streusan to be the guy who set BM on her path, and not BM herself?

Nothing can be worse than what Oda did with Pudding, but after her, it was Big Mom that I was hoping to come through as someone who was a strong female character. And this just...kinda sucks. She's basically just a nearly mindless monster. And while that can work as a characterization, I didn't want that to be Big Mom's characterization.

The only real mystery to her now is just how she gets her intelligence on others, but it's clear that whatever it is, it's not something she orchestrated herself.

Nah. She was 5. She wasn't guided her whole life by others, just corrupted at an early age by a pirate. The rest is all of her own volition.

I have to say, I'm not happy with this characterization of Big Mom. She now feels like she lacked agency for any of her decisions. She's just this big dumb ravenous idiot who is only acting on the suggestions of others. The only real thing she seems to want for herself is to eat a shit ton. And I'm not sure why. I mean, did we really need Streusan to be the guy who set BM on her path, and not BM herself?[/B]

She was inspired by Mother Carmel's house to create a country where everyone was equal and Streusan pointed her in a particular direction to achieve her goal. Just because she had some dubious influences at a young age doesn't invalidate everything we've seen her do since her introduction.

seeing how fucking power big mom is, and how "old" the yonkos are, do you think that the series will have another time jump? i mean, how is that neither of the yonkos has reached raftel? maybe they dont care about it?

whatever the case Luffy is way way way out of his league

Whitebeard, who was the closest, never cared about Raftel. Shanks was part of Roger's crew, so he already knows where it is. He's also probably following Roger's orders in letting other pirates find the One Piece. I believe Kado and Big Mom are trying to find Raftel. No one knows where the 4th poneglyph is and two of them are with the Yonkos. I think the one in Zou is hidden as well. I believe the Yonkos tried, but it's probably hard trying to piece together all four poneglyphs. I don't think Kaido or Big Mom would willingly let other Yonkos see their poneglyph. As for BlackBeard, it's too early to tell. He may be trying to find it too.

aBarreras

Whitebeard, who was the closest, never cared about Raftel. Shanks was part of Roger's crew, so he already knows where it is. He's also probably following Roger's orders in letting other pirates find the One Piece. I believe Kado and Big Mom are trying to find Raftel. No one knows where the 4th poneglyph is and two of them are with the Yonkos. I think the one in Zou is hidden as well. I believe the Yonkos tried, but it's probably hard trying to piece together all four poneglyphs. I don't think Kaido or Big Mom would willing let other Yonkos see their poneglyph. As for BlackBeard, it's too early to tell. He may be trying to find it too.

well then i kinda gonna hate that luffy at his 17 years makes something the yonkos have been trying for like 30 years or something.

but yeah big mom and kaidou seem more interested on other things too

well then i kinda gonna hate that luffy at his 17 years makes something the yonkos have been trying for like 30 years or something.

but yeah big mom and kaidou seem more interested on other things too

Pretty sure Luffy is 19 now and not all of the yonko have been looking for One Piece. You forget Luffy has gotten incredibly lucky, happening on Nico Robin, a person who can read ponyglyphs, and finding Skypeia.

Veelk

Banned
Nah. She was 5. She wasn't guided her whole life by others, just corrupted at an early age by a pirate. The rest is all of her own volition.

It's about presentation. The same way we know because we are told that Hancock is a badass that can fight, but don't actually get to see it ourselves unless it's against weak mooks that basically can't touch her.

This entire exploration has amounted to "things that happened to Linlin". She goes into frenzies that she can't control, she's manipulated by a mother figure that is lying, she undertakes a pirate career at the behest of someone else. Everything about how we actually see her life choices getting made is outside her control, and the alleged stuff she does of her own volition is offscreen. Even her own choice of undertaking Carmel's dream is iffy since she's so stupid that she barely processes reality on meaningful level, so her capability of even making such decisions is put into question.

She was inspired by Mother Carmel's house to create a country where everyone was equal and Streusan pointed her in a particular direction to achieve her goal. Just because she had some dubious influences at a young age doesn't invalidate everything we've seen her do since her introduction.

Yep. No one's going to argue that Sanji, Chopper, and Robin don't have any agency in their dreams because they inherited the ambitions of the parental figures that they looked up to.

Veelk

Banned
Yep. No one's going to argue that Sanji, Chopper, and Robin don't have any agency in their dreams because they inherited the ambitions of the parental figures that they looked up to.

The difference I'm getting at is that they themselves choose their dreams.

Big Mom was told what her dream should be by Stuessen. He specifically went to her knowing he could manipulate her into doing his will. And even arguing that it was nevertheless her choice to accept that dream, she's so dumb that it's hard to argue that it was really her choice. She basically just goes along with whatever anyone she likes at the moment says.

Big Mom was told what her dream should be by Stuessen. He specifically went to her knowing he could manipulate her into doing his will. And even arguing that it was nevertheless her choice to accept that dream, she's so dumb that it's hard to argue that it was really her choice. She basically just goes along with whatever anyone she likes at the moment says.

I get what you're saying. It would have been more interesting if Big Mom, attempting to live out Mother Caramel's dreams, inadvertently became a threat to the world. The Marines would basically make things worst by trying to kill her and would be the reason she acts the way she does now.

That's not what happened at all. Streusen only teamed up with her for his own gain, but building a country of peace was her own decision. He asked what her dream was and she told him.
In the quick glimpses of her rise to infamy, we don't even see Streusen after Linlin uses the Soul Soul fruit for the first time.

And all this mentioning of her being dumb. Let's not forgot that she was a 6 year old girl who was oblivious to the affairs of the world.

What the flashback for Big Mom did this arc was reiterate the fact that Big Mom, despite her many decades of piracy, has not matured from being a kid. Yes, she's certainly more aware of her evil deeds now and more conscious of some of those actions but the flashback essentially reinforced the concept that she's really just someone who's perspective of the world was warped by having the wrong people around her.

Mother Caramel, in an effort to keep the children and Giants ignorant of her shady ways, doted on Big Mom for the purpose of keeping her close. What she didn't realize is that Linlin was not an introspective person and only saw the face value of all the good things being told to her. Because Linlin never faced any consequences, she ultimately was raised thinking everything she did was good and dandy and that the world should revolve around her since Mother was so proud.

Streussen came along and basically did what Trebol did to Doflamingo. He planted an idea in her head and all of a sudden Big Mom became a big deal in piracy. She never grew up because she never realized how horrible her actions in the past were and as such simply bullied and forced others into getting her what she wanted with the false pretense of "a peaceful world" that even she doesn't fully understand.

I agree that's a bit upsetting on how you go from this idea of a Yonko with hands and connections all over the underworld manipulating everyone but I think her past gives a better sense of understanding to her and Totland as a whole. It's a child's dream created through an adult's warped mind. Everything is fake. From the sweet facade Pudding put on to the ruse Big Mom pulled over the Vinsmokes and Capone pulled over Big Mom. The smiling homies, wonderful sweets, and colorful environments are all a cover for something far more sinister.

Seeing how Oda didn't do a bounty for Whitebeard I doubt other Yonko do.

I think that's more because Whitebeard would naturally have had one of the highest bounties in the world, and that revealing it that "early" in the story would force Oda to set a cap on bounties. I don't think it's impossible that the Emperors don't have bounties but I don't really believe that's why we didn't see Whitebeard's.

Streussen came along and basically did what Trebol did to Doflamingo.

I think you're giving Streusen too much credit. Trebol was probably the biggest influence on Doflamingo's outlook on the world and held the highest position in his crew.
We can only speculate because there are gaps in Linlin's backstory, but I think we were shown all we needed to know on the origins of "Big Mom".

I think you're giving Streusen too much credit. Trebol was probably the biggest influence on Doflamingo's outlook on the world and held the highest position in his crew.
We can only speculate because there are gaps in Linlin's backstory, but I think we were shown all we needed to know on the origins of "Big Mom".

Doflamingo's view on the world was already shaped heavily before he met Trebol though. He already hated everyone around him for treating him like shit out of Mareijois when he was of noble birth. I'd say his mother's death pretty much solidified that and his hatred of his father.

Chase17

Caved and read today.

-"plan failed" was hilarious. The way vito or whatever his name is was running made me chuckle.
-Jimbei hardly reacting was also great.
-Mirror escape so close
-The different design styles of linlin are all good.
-Could all of this been averted if Gangster Gastino succeeded in making giants. (not that this would be a great scenario or anything lol)

Doflamingo's view on the world was already shaped heavily before he met Trebol though. He already hated everyone around him for treating him like shit out of Mareijois when he was of noble birth. I'd say his mother's death pretty much solidified that and his hatred of his father.

Even before his mother death Don was set in his ways because he was born Celestial Dragon .

Nah, if that were the case, Corazon would've ended up ended up the same way.

Both Trebol and Streussen influenced two deeply traumatized people into acting out their dark fantasies that they had imagined.

I am not talking about birth but from years growing up there .
Don already thought people were nothing even before his mother died .

I won't say Streusen put any ideas in her head .
He just user her cause he saw she was a monster and does what she wants because of Mother Caramel .

I am not talking about birth but from years growing up there .
Don already thought people were nothing even before his mother died .

True, but he went from not caring about them to actively hating them. He turned from a spoiled brat who thought he was entitled everything(much like Big Mom) into a sadistic monster who still thinks they're entitled stuff but is willing to actively destroy others lives for it(again like Big Mom).

True, but he went from not caring about them to actively hating them. He turned from a spoiled brat who thought he was entitled everything(much like Big Mom) into a sadistic monster who still thinks they're entitled stuff but is willing to actively destroy others lives for it(again like Big Mom).

True but the way i see it is that Don crew had a much bigger influence and control over him growing up.
For Big Mom she was such a monster that Streusen just attach him self to her more than having influence or control .

EDIT i guess this also means Big Mom is the youngest person we see to get a DF at 5 years old ?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think Doffy and Big Mom share some similarities, but in essence are very different.

Doffy is just a rotten seed to his core. Even if Trebol never entered his life he would have likely ended up just as terrible and probably just as dangerous. The parallel with his brother Rocinante proves this - they went through the exact same experiences and turned out totally different people.

Big Mom is not well in the head. She's a simpleton with simple goals who had the idea of piracy implanted by Streussen, but nothing else. Let's be fair, the two seemed to work as a pair. Streussen is a fun-seeker with no clear goals other than wanting to find things that entertain him in his own sick way. Big Mom actively wants something and is willing to do anything to acquire it. If anything, Big Mom gives Streussen agency as much as he does to her.

At some point she also acquired her selfish mobster personality. This happens mostly off screen, but it's not a stretch to assume she became this way because she was hell bent on achieving her warped childhood dream. She very likely could have turned out this way without Streussen, as it's been shown that she doesn't think the way sane people do and is also prone to emotional outbursts that dictate her behavior. Nothing says that hypothetical older Linlin-sans-Streussen wouldn't kill someone who disagreed with Caramel's dream just because. In fact, everything about her flashback seems to lead to a person who would eventually become like this.

I think her personality was set up rather well. We don't need the gaps spelled out for us. We saw the beginnings of her mental illness and we've seen where she's ended up, and the dots in between aren't hard to connect.

LotusHD

Banned
Just how effective can Luffy make that with his fighting style against the top tier opponents in the series.

Not like we thought a DF that makes one a rubber man could do all that it has, I'm sure Oda will surprise us, assuming Luffy's Awakening would make the area around him rubbery.

Top Bottom