• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

LotusHD

Banned
If I finished something like One Piece, I'd take the loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooongest break ever, just tell my friends, family, and co-workers to not @ me, this is my "me time" right now

EDIT:

And that is how you start the next page.

If I finished something like One Piece, I'd take the loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooongest break ever, just tell my friends, family, and co-workers to not @ me, this is my "me time" right now

EDIT:

And that is how you start the next page.
I can't see a scenario where he doesn't retire after this shit lol

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
OP has been going for 20 years now i don't blame him if he retires he probably has enough money now to do so

At this point Oda could probably buy a small country.
Not to mention residuals from merch long after it ends. All those video games that will be made.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I imagine Oda lives a hard, stressful, and very fulfilling life. If I were him, I'd be relieved to finish One Piece, but also a bit sad.

I'm writing a set of novels now, and have been for the past two years. The story has been on my mind near constantly, and I only work on it about an hour or two a day on average. I can only imagine spending 20 years of your life, with nearly every waking moment of your day, devoted to creating a world that you love and want others to love too. Oda probably lives as much in the One Piece world as he does in the real world. Coming down from that will be bittersweet as hell. Seeing the finished product will probably give him a sense of pride I can only begin to imagine. Setting out to fulfill your dream, and succeeding. I'm a little envious.

Veelk

Banned
ShJiiDb.png

Goddammit. God. Damn. It. It's actually going there. Pudding's final degradation and humiliation. Actually falling for Sanji.

This is beyond sad.

Mendrox

I don't even know how someone who works like Oda is supposed to turn it off when One Piece ends.

He won't be able to. One Piece is everywhere in Japan. It's really crazy to see, but if Dragonball even gets revived nowadays...One Piece won't die forever.

ShJiiDb.png

Goddammit. God. Damn. It. It's actually going there. Pudding's final degradation and humiliation. Actually falling for Sanji.

This is beyond sad.

I loved Puddings suffering there. Also Namis tits in this chapter were 10/10

LotusHD

Banned
Also the Vinsmokes admittedly looked really cool here btw, don't @ me.

Also it seems that Reiju can secrete poison. Yonji wind? Niji electricity. Ichiji fire?

caliph95

Veeik (maybe Ray):
Code:
[IMG]http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/790/309/9f5.png[/IMG]

Also the poison is useless since Smoothie just squuezed the poison out of herself

and they keep getting more and more fucked and didn't expect Pespero to have some combat prowess

LotusHD

Banned
Veelk at the end of WCI:

giphy.gif

Veeik (maybe Ray):
Code:
[IMG]http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/790/309/9f5.png[/IMG]

tumblr_nihreonyV61tig7qho1_500.gif

---

Also jesus, can Smoothie can be anymore useless? People keep making jokes about her, and I'm starting to agree. Katakuri has been doing basically all the work on his own, while Smoothie hasn't done anything, and now just got kicked away by Reiju.

Also add Reiju to the very small list of close-combat female fighters.

Veelk

Banned
If Punji ends up happening Veelk will suffer a stroke.

I was going to wait to until the arc is over so that I could be secure in my feelings toward the arc, but I think with this confirmation, they're pretty solidly in place.

This arc, One PIece did something I didn't think was possible for it to do. It....disappointed me. And that caused me to realize something.

You see, I just didn't see that coming because I was sure, at this point, that I had One Piece's number down. Not that I can predict every twist and turn or anything, but the way in which it does what it does.

Still, with how things were set up this arc, it presented a chance for something new. And I tried to keep my expectations in check to not exceed One Piece's habits. I knew Pudding was going to lose. I knew Pudding wasn't this actual evil genius who had all the Straw Hats dancing at her finger tips. I knew that the strawhats will, eventually, win. But....I don't know, I just expected atleast some of what I wanted to come out of this arc, with how things were looking up. Just a little.

So when Pudding broke down over Sanji complimenting her, I was legitimately, truly disappointed. And ever since then, I've been re-examining how I feel about the series as a whole, and I had a realization: This Pudding expectation and let down is a large example of a consistent problem. I thought back and thought of all the things that One Piece hyped up and what it actually delivered on. Fishman Island, only for it to be a shooting gallery for the strawhats. Doflamingo, potentially the strongest Shichibukai after Mihawk, whose intelligent enough not to underestimate the Strawhats, who ends up underestimating the strawhats. Ace's death, ruined by Luffy's stupid face. There's TONS of stuff that One Piece hypes up to hell and back as being awesome, only for it to have the execution be off in some significant way. It's usually not a complete disaster. Doflamingo is still one of the best villains imo, and Ace's death is still mostly well done other than that. But every moment I can praise has some giant wart smack dab in the middle that I can't ignore. Or sometimes it fails completely. Like Zou, the idea that there isn't a single mink that would turn the ninja (whose design I hate, so yet another let down) isn't cool or heartwarming to me, it's just hokey and artificial feeling. If I had to pick one thing that Oda actually hyped up and then delivered on, it's the marineford war as a whole. He promised a grand battle, he delivered it.

So that made me think: If Oda has a track record of 99% disappointment, what exactly am I hyped up for now? All the plot points foreshadowed are intriguing conceptually. Reverie, Kaido, finding Raftel, Blackbeard's shenanigans with the Revolutionaries, etc. Political intrigue and turmoil, the world turning itself over, the void century being uncovered, all these are general ideas that I find awesome. And I was excited for all of them, even if I know ahead of time that Oda's execution won't be what I want it to be.

Until this arc. Pudding and Big Mom being intellectual, manipulative opponents was a fantastic idea that I got excited for and maybe some of that's on me, but seeing it go down in utter flames like this...well, now I'm rethinking whether it's worth getting excited for those promised future hype moments. And if that's gone, I'm left asking myself what many on this board have asked me many times already: Why am I reading it at all? I thought I enjoyed it enough to keep reading, just because it did other things in interesting ways. Now I'm not as sure.

Also jesus, can Smoothie can be anymore useless? People keep making jokes about her, and I'm starting to agree. Katakuri has been doing basically all the work on his own, while Smoothie hasn't done anything, and now just got kicked away by Reiju.

Yeah, that's another disappointment I've been meaning to bring up.

"Wow, Oda, Big Mom's crew is awesome. It's cool to finally see another top female fighter. Smoothie must be pretty badass. I can't wait to see her fight."
*pages and pages and pages of Katakuri fighting*

LotusHD

Banned
Hmm, well, make an decision after the arc is over I guess. It'd be a shame to drop it now, even if you are that disappointed.

----

Anyways, here's the sneak peek of the Germa 66 transforming (Briefly NSFW? Lol):

07db19be7702ba1a75aafe98a89578dd43e53bdb_hq.gif

EDIT:

This is disorienting to look at for too long lol

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, I'm still waiting to see if they'll give me the final battle with Big mom vs Luffy that I want. That's one thing that haven't played down yet, Big Mom's physical strength. She deserves a final showdown with Luffy like all the villains get. If that doesn't happen, that's when I know that One Piece is runs counter to every storytelling value I hold.

God of War is going to be coming out soon, Oda. I only have enough unbridled hatred for one series at a time.

Dandte

Yeah, I'm still waiting to see if they'll give me the final battle with Big mom vs Luffy that I want. That's one thing that haven't played down yet, Big Mom's physical strength. She deserves a final showdown with Luffy like all the villains get. If that doesn't happen, that's when I know that One Piece is runs counter to every storytelling value I hold.

them box will open at the ground, explode, the tower will crumble, all participants will be put in different spots and then will the grand final happen

Chase17

Chapter was on the weaker side for me. Germa 66 meh

At least we got some nice Sanji panels and I liked the bege/castle bege side by side.

Shout out to the Chopper/Nami/Carrot power trio.

Majukun

ShJiiDb.png

This is beyond sad.

if anything i would be mad because pudding's heel turn it's what started the downfall of the arc into a plothole festival....if she was going to be "redeemed" why didn't she just stayed good in the first place?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Vinsmokes looked cool. But what are Ichiji and Yonji's powers? I couldn't tell if they were using elements or not

SolVanderlyn

I guess Niji is confirmed the coolest one then

Of the bros anyway

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Also the Vinsmokes admittedly looked really cool here btw, don't @ me.

Also it seems that Reiju can secrete poison. Yonji wind? Niji electricity. Ichiji fire?

Vinsmokes looked cool. But what are Ichiji and Yonji's powers? I couldn't tell if they were using elements or not
Reiju = Poison
Yonji = Winch (aka his body is malleable)
Niji = Electricity
Ichiji = Fire/Explosive Fire ("Sparking")

They're saving Ichiji's power for his inevitable duel with Sanji.

marmoka

Banned
Half of the chapter was no dialogues, only sounds. Awesome.

I really feel sad for Pudding. She doesn't deserve to end like this.

Great chapter. Too bad there is a break next week. I'm hyped!

dan2026

One Piece really does go on a lot of breaks these days.
If Oda is struggling maybe it might make sense for him to go monthly or something.

Interesting that the Tamatebako has been removed from the current happenings.
Oda a must have a plan to use it later.

Great chapter though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Go Go Germa Rangers. I knew a Sentai theme was coming when they all had color-coded names.

There goes the box. Oda trolled us hard with that one. Then again it could show up again somehow.

I'm not reading /a/ after this. The shitposters are going to be out in full force over those two panels some of you are having fits over.

It feels like the Big Mom pirates specialize in "trapping" people. Perospero and Katakuri having powers that are "sticky".

Also, plotholes? What?

all hell's gonna break loose.

I have a feeling that we will see echoes back to marine ford this chapter.

I predict that BIg Daddy will die to save his children, and it will be an awakening moment for sanji, even though he tried to not care for his family he still does. I bet Big Daddy puts Sanji as the head of the Germa family, and sanji steps away from the crew for a bit, and maybe nami and chopper goes with sanji.

go go kill la kill rangers.

Top Bottom