• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

bjork

This is where Capone calls on his buddies from the alien ship thing they got lifted into like 500 chapters ago. Aliens I tell you.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Wouldn't that undermine the whole character arc though?

Why do people keep trying to tie the diable jambe to his genetics when the whole point is that Sanji is normal.
Oda already gave an explanation anyway friction and heart

Yeah I don't care about that explanation, it's fuckin stupid and you know it. Sure, I'll allow gag abilities like Nami's happiness punch crap since it never actually affects things, but Sanji's fire is a fundamental component of how he fights, and "heart" is a BS explanation in a manga full of superpowers with Real Explanations.

Now, I will allow something like "Sanji's passion allowed him to pull the potential out of his latent superhuman genetics," a bit of both worlds. Still keeps his character arc, provides an actual reason for it. Perhaps even says that his brothers could be even more powerful if they had emotions, that Sanji is actually the perfect weapon because of it, take that Daddy Germa.

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah I don't care about that explanation, it's fuckin stupid and you know it.

This is shonen dude, we are literally talking about a series where a 17 year old kid has a stretchy dick due to magical fruits.

Also a series where a sword can transform into an elephant.

jokkir

This is where Capone calls on his buddies from the alien ship thing they got lifted into like 500 chapters ago. Aliens I tell you.

I skipped that entire part where that happened and just searched it up.

What the hell is that anyway lol

Put some respect on power rangers name
It gave me Sailor Moon vibes more than Power Rangers because the energy swirling around them. That is classic SM.

1497519524658.gif
lol

Sanji ain't got shit... probably.
I would like that, actually. Give Sanji the spotlight.

Kyuur

pudding isn't jealous, she probably realized Sanji was genuine when she witnessed him helping Nami

Or maybe she realized that he's a fuck boy who loves all women unconditionally and will become evil again after realizing she was nothing special to him.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This is shonen dude, we are literally talking about a series where a 17 year old kid has a stretchy dick due to magical fruits.

Also a series where a sword can transform into an elephant.

They have explanations rooted in the core mythology of the series, the devil fruit and its mysterious but obviously-getting-explained-eventually power. Let's not be intellectually dishonest here, these are apples and (swirly) oranges.

I assume the sword was used to cut the fruit and the sword just gained the power to transform....but the Sword isn't a living being, unless OP has that idea of all matter has a soul sort of deal.

"Feeding" a fruit to an inanimate object has been a well-established thing since Alabasta and that stupid dog gun, it's something Vegapunk invented and we're sure to learn more about it whenever he finally shows up.

Ogodei

Close combat women, as far as i can remember:

Alvida
Tashigi
Miss Doublefinger
Hina
Laki (Shandra warrior)
Kalifa
Lola (zombie and normal form)
Boa Hancock and basically all the Amazons
Sadi-chan
Baby 5
Rebecca (to a point)
A few of the Dwarves
Wanda and Carrot
Reiju

pudding "redeemes" herself by mass brainwashing everyone and allowing everyone a window to flee so that big mom doesn't take revenge on the strawhats' families

Maybe pudding's awakening is manipulating the memories of people around her in a huge radius? That'd give them a chance, lol.

Maybe fodder is going too far, but so far she isn't doing all the badassery I expect from a commander. She is just standing there while Katakuri does stuff.

People thought that Perospero wasn't a fighter? I was awaiting for him to fight since is introduction, he's the first son and has a cool design.

Well Katakuri is a logia and Smoothie looks like like close combat fighter .
So it make sense for now since everyone running away
Most high tier logia characters just able to do so much it hard for other people to get a chance lol.

LotusHD

Banned
They have explanations rooted in the core mythology of the series, the devil fruit and its mysterious but obviously-getting-explained-eventually power. Let's not be intellectually dishonest here, these are apples and (swirly) oranges.

This. Yes it's a shounen, but most stuff in OP you can ultimately connect the dots for, whether it be Luffy's Gears or even Law's powers, they can be explained or reasoned away just enough to leave you more or less satisfied imo

I don't really have that for Sanji outside of him being a cook means he's used to hot temperatures, which is kinda meh.

Close combat women, as far as i can remember:

Alvida
Tashigi
Miss Doublefinger
Hina
Laki (Shandra warrior)
Kalifa
Lola (zombie and normal form)
Boa Hancock and basically all the Amazons
Sadi-chan
Baby 5
Rebecca (to a point)
A few of the Dwarves
Wanda and Carrot
Reiju

Nice.

Well Katakuri is a logia s and Smoothie looks like like close combat fighter .
So it make sense for now since everyone running away
Most high tier logia characters just able to do so much hard for other people to get a chance lol.

This is true, but even then, the lower ranked crew members are doing more than her, like the Genie guy.

Lol wtf @ the Sentai Transformation

That shit was marvelous.

They lost Brulee, they lost the tamatebako box, and Capone is getting his ass beat by Big Mom now.

They are extremely fucked.

This is true, but even then, the lower ranked crew members are doing more than her, like the Genie guy.

Genie guy got 2 or 3 hits on a no name character so he not doing much . ( just having some fun blackleg lol)
Plus don't forget that is not his real body lol .

Side note i think people forget Smoothie power .
Nami was dead if Reiju did not save her.

LotusHD

Banned
Genie guy got 2 or 3 hits on a no name character so he not doing much . ( just having some fun blackleg lol)
Plus don't forget that is not his real body lol .

Side note i think people forget Smoothie power .
Nami was dead if Reiju did not save her.

Does it matter? It's still his power at the end of the day. Not that much different from Cracker, who is strong as hell but has a fragile body. If his genie does all the work, so be it.

Regardless, the point is that I believe this is the first notable thing she's done in this arc as an antagonist. Other than that, it's just been her showing off her power.

And then as soon as she does it, it gets immediately diminished by Reiju. Girl just can't catch a break. No one saying she ain't strong, but you'd think a commander would be more proactive, even if they don't have Logia powers. That said, I did like how she used her DF to get rid of the poison.

Ogodei

Miss Merrychristmas and Miss Monday were other close-range fighters from Baroque Works, now that i think of it.

Miss Monday was a legit body builder woman.

The fact that nobody is trying to 1v1 anybody should lay those claims to rest.

Big Mom is now back and action, so I don't even know if escape is possible anymore.

Does it matter? It's still his power at the end of the day. Not that much different from Cracker, who is strong as hell but has a fragile body. If his genie does all the work, so be it.

Regardless, the point is that I believe this is the first notable thing she's done in this arc as an antagonist. Other than that, it's just been her showing off her power.

And then as soon as she does it, it gets immediately diminished by Reiju. Girl just can't catch a break. No one saying she ain't strong, but you'd think a commander would be more proactive, even if they don't have Logia powers. That said, I did like how she used her DF to get rid of the poison.

I think it's that she wasn't with the Cracker revenge force so she didn't get that big victory moment, and instead has been more prominent during the Brook comeback section so she didn't get to look strong. Plus Oven, Daifuku and Katakuri were all introduced during the wedding so they've gotten some prominence, especially Katakuri since Oda has some fun with his powers in a way he can't with Smoothie's and his future vision is an easy way to set up some suspense.

Right now the Big Mom Pirates are presented as a singular force with the exception of Katakuri because Katakuri is so versatile. She's certainly a more pressing concern than say, Mont'dor or Galette.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Oh shit, I just had a thought. Where is Pez Capone? He's not in Big Father, right?

.... you think Oda will go there?

LotusHD

Banned
I think it's that she wasn't with the Cracker revenge force so she didn't get that big victory moment, and instead has been more prominent during the Brook comeback section so she didn't get to look strong. Plus Oven, Daifuku and Katakuri were all introduced during the wedding so they've gotten some prominence, especially Katakuri since Oda has some fun with his powers in a way he can't with Smoothie's and his future vision is an easy way to set up some suspense.

Right now the Big Mom Pirates are presented as a singular force with the exception of Katakuri because Katakuri is so versatile. She's certainly a more pressing concern than say, Mont'dor or Galette.

Well let's hope she has more of a impressive presence moving forward then.

So this is pretty much the worst possible situation the Strawhats could be in right now huh? I honestly don't know how they plan on escaping this.

I thought it was strange the Tamatebako fell over the edge but maybe it'll play into their escape later.

LotusHD

Banned
So this is pretty much the worst possible situation the Strawhats could be in right now huh? I honestly don't know how they plan on escaping this.

I thought it was strange the Tamatebako fell over the edge but maybe it'll play into their escape later.

Maybe the explosion it can provide is bigger than we think it'll be.

Yeah, I don't see how Luffy can punch his way out. He barely could beat Cracker and now he's faced up against the entire Big Mom Pirates+a seriously pissed off Big Mom. BigMom just 1 shot Big Papa life it was nothing.

Red Fire

Yeah I don't care about that explanation, it's fuckin stupid and you know it. Sure, I'll allow gag abilities like Nami's happiness punch crap since it never actually affects things, but Sanji's fire is a fundamental component of how he fights, and "heart" is a BS explanation in a manga full of superpowers with Real Explanations.

Now, I will allow something like "Sanji's passion allowed him to pull the potential out of his latent superhuman genetics," a bit of both worlds. Still keeps his character arc, provides an actual reason for it. Perhaps even says that his brothers could be even more powerful if they had emotions, that Sanji is actually the perfect weapon because of it, take that Daddy Germa.

Sanji is not the only one though. Kinemon uses fire (remember the fire & ice attack with brook against the dragon), luffy uses red hawk, brook uses ice, minks use electro. That one ugly mofo from the whitebeard pirates used electro on his sword too. Law uses thunder attacks. Vista summons rose petals outta nowhere. There are many cases with elements or unexplained powers in one piece. Maybe oda might explain that there is a way to manipulate elements or some shit in the future.

aBarreras

i think that oda's intention was to make us think, ooh yes, he is gonna open it, and it will explode and since the straw hats are inside the castle they will be able to escape.. and then... NOPE

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i think that oda's intention was to make us think, ooh yes, he is gonna open it, and it will explode and since the straw hats are inside the castle they will be able to escape.. and then... NOPE

I thought Big Mom was going to eat it for a hot minute. Man, they're all really screwed at this point.

LotusHD

Banned
Sanji is not the only one though. Kinemon uses fire (remember the fire & ice attack with brook against the dragon), luffy uses red hawk, brook uses ice, minks use electro. That one ugly mofo from the whitebeard pirates used electro on his sword too. Law uses thunder attacks. Vista summons rose petals outta nowhere. There are many cases with elements or unexplained powers in one piece. Maybe oda might explain that there is a way to manipulate elements or some shit in the future.

Kinemon - Sword style we've never seen before, sure why not

Red Hawk - Mix of Gear Second heating up his body + Haki hardening = An ignited fist. Sure why not.

Brook - Said he's able to control his soul's aura, uses the "cold of the underworld" Unlike Sanji he at least gave an explanation, so sure why not.

Electro - Exaggerated demonstration of how hair/fur collects static electricity. Sure why not.

Law's Counter Shock - Reminiscent of a defibrillator, the theme of a surgeon in an operating room is still being adhered to, so sure why not.

Vista - Could be a DF user, who knows

Whitebeard member - Who knows, we've seen very little of him

So yea, those are my BS explanations.

That said, obviously Sanji isn't literally the only one I have an issue with. Sugar's DF abilities for instance will forever perplex me. Zoro's Asura probably also counts. I only pick on him more because he's one of the main characters and we saw him develop this ability out of nowhere, and he's evolved it to the point where he can set his entire body on fire. With his background, it'd be interesting to see if that's part of why he can do it, but if not, then no biggie. Just a humorous nitpick.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Kinemon's Fox-Fire Style is an actual learned technique, presumably one of many harnessed by the denizens of Wano, I can accept some wacky Samurai powers. Especially considering all the Ninja stuff Raizo can do. Brook's ice is an extension of his Devil Fruit, the "chill of the afterlife" or some whatnot, harnessed over those 2 years. Electro seems to just be a genetic ability shared by all Minks, not sure why it works but it's just something their species can do. Law's thunder stuff is all devil-fruit-related, his "operation" powers include defibrillation.

Red Hawk is gibberish, sure. The rose petals too, though those are probably just more of a gag thing. Sanji's fire is just his primary attack venue and he's a main character, I expect the same level of reasoning applied to it as with other big main things.

Diable Jambe had a pretty straightforward explanation with "Sanji spins on his legs and the friction heats them up." Post-timeskip it got combined with Sanji's gag visual, which is wonky logistically.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Diable Jambe had a pretty straightforward explanation with "Sanji spins on his legs and the friction heats them up." Post-timeskip it got combined with Sanji's gag visual, which is wonky logistically.

It had an "explanation" but it was obviously gibberish, he heated his shin by spinning in place? What was he creating friction against, the air? Shouldn't it have just caught his pants on fire? Shouldn't his whole BODY have caught on fire? How in the shit was he isolating it to his leg?

It had an "explanation" but it was obviously gibberish, he heated his shin by spinning in place? What was he creating friction against, the air? Shouldn't it have just caught his pants on fire? Shouldn't his whole BODY have caught on fire? How in the shit was he isolating it to his leg?

His foot and the ground? It's supposed to evoke spinning a twig to start a fire.

bjork

Chakra

he's secretly from Konoha village

I've never seen someone stress out over Sanji igniting his leg on fire.
Especially when it's low on the list of ridiculous abilities that aren't related to devil fruit abilities.

Top Bottom