• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I feel like there's a reason the Immortality Operation was foreshadowed, but yeah, it could easily be an explanation for Kaidou. Plus if Law doesn't die that's pretty ok in my books.

On the subject of bread, I like it, but I also like Law. Where should my allegiances lie?

LotusHD

Banned
I feel like there's a reason the Immortality Operation was foreshadowed, but yeah, it could easily be an explanation for Kaidou. Plus if Law doesn't die that's pretty ok in my books.

On the subject of bread, I like it, but I also like Law. Where should my allegiances lie?

I too like Law, he's my favorite character. I have learned to accept him for his laws.

caliph95

LAwful Neutral

You're a traitor hang up that avatar. Do you like cotton candy like chopper as well Xp

YAWN

I think Law is in the wrong here, he's a doctor so he must know how good bread is for the human body.

Thats why he couldn't take Mingo solo, he lacked the energy the carbs would have given him. He can do all the planning he wants to bring down a Shichibukai, but if he doesn't have a balanced diet its not gonna do him any good. I take the side of bread.

As for cotton candy, it's oddly been years since I've had it. I do have a sweet tooth, so I reckon it'd go down pretty nice. I always thought it was random Choppers love for cotton candy came out of nowhere, but then I realised it resembles a Sakura tree so thought it was pretty nice touch.

Ray Down

Banned
Spoiler Time from Den_Den_Mushi on Oro:

Caesar cries as he holds Bege and flies through the sky. Perospero created a candy wall to stop him getting away.

Ichiji, Niji and Yonji come to Caesar's aid. They break the candy with a combination Attack 'multicoloured bomb'.

Du Feld is sneaking through the castle to find the Tamatebako. He sees Stussy behind him. She shoots him dead with a finger gun.

Stussy was from CPO. Morgans appears and Stussy panics. She tries to open the box but it falls down the castle.

BM and Luffy in G4 face off. BM hardens her palm so that it is hard as steel. They both say 'I'm gonna be the Pk!' But take no damage.

Judge arrives to back up Luffy. But BM breaks his lance in one attack and takes him down.

The Vinsmoke boys turn away from Caesar and head towards Judge. Katakuri appears in front of Caesar. Ichiji holds off Katakuri but Brûlée joins in.

Caesar turns around. Luffy, Sanji and Germa have collapsed. However the fallen Tamatebako explodes just before BM can execute them.

End of chapter.

Veelk

Banned
So Luffy and Big Mom's fight basically happens and ends offscreen after one attack?

I guess Oda wanted to top off this disappointment of an arc by taking the last thing I wanted to see, dangling it in front of me, then throwing it in the trash. Thanks Oda.

Dartastic

I'm drunk and I have a theory. What if Roger had nothing really special about him at all? What if what allowed him to succee were the people around him and the crewmembers he had around him on the way? What if he was able to get to Raftel based on the content of his character? I mean he has to have some obvious fighting skill but...

IHaveIce

Banned
So Luffy and Big Mom's fight basically happens and ends offscreen after one attack?

I guess Oda wanted to top off this disappointment of an arc by taking the last thing I wanted to see, dangling it in front of me, then throwing it in the trash. Thanks Oda.
or... like most of us expected.. the real fight happens later.

Stussy being from CP0 is interesting, I guess she would be a most wanted then, knowing some government secrets and then turning to run the whore business.

I still wonder which explosion is strong enough to knock down a yonkou in one piece?? It has to be on the level of a nuclear blast

LotusHD

Banned

Stussy being from CP0 is interesting, I guess she would be a most wanted then, knowing some government secrets and then turning to run the whore business.

I still wonder which explosion is strong enough to knock down a yonkou in one piece?? It has to be on the level of a nuclear blast

I'm still sad we never had that King Punch land against a Yonko.

For now...

Veelk

Banned

I'll bet you that Big Mom is taken out by Kaidou, not just so she can job to show off his power level, but to show how eeeeeeeeeeeeevil he is because he'd dare hit a woman.

Veelk

Banned
Why would that be evil?

Because she's a woman and if you hit women, you're a scumbag in this series. Their actual characters are irrelevant in this regard. There are exceptions, like the Vivi thing, but that's the tendency.

Veelk is so strange.
Who expected a Big Mom fight here?lol

I don't know who expected it, but I wanted it. I wanted Big Mom to have a good fight with the Luffy, like pretty much every major villain gets to do. I expected her to beat Luffy or at best have Luffy get in a good hit or two before GTFOing, but I wanted to see the fight in it's fully glory. It would have been awesome to see Luffy fight against an opponent that he legitimately in no way can handle for once.

And don't act like I'm asking for some unrealistic, pie in the sky thing here. Because the fight I'm describing happened. It just happened offscreen, so we didn't get to see it.

caliph95

I think Oda just had more important stuff to cover and offscreen and likely easily it is to show how the Straw stood no chance and weren't any reasonable challenge.

LotusHD

Banned
Because she's a woman and if you hit women, you're a scumbag in this series. Their actual characters are irrelevant in this regard. There are exceptions, like the Vivi thing, but that's the tendency.

But the first antagonist we saw Luffy beat was a woman.

Veelk

Banned
But the first antagonist we saw Luffy beat was a woman.

As I said, there are exceptions. Also, that was 20 years ago. 20 years ago, Nami's still had internal organs and breasts smaller than her head. Things have changed.

What you wanted is unimportant to the story compared to everything else going on in the chapter

Pfft, oh yeah, because One Piece is all about brisk pace and minimalist, barebones plot necessities, right? OP is very directed about it's plot, but it's also indulgent as hell. This is one aspect I wanted to be indulged in.

Look, the bottomline is this: I'm not happy with One Piece because everything that was set up about this arc concluded in the most dissatisfying way it possibly could for me.
Pudding turned out to be pathetic beyond words. The Vinsmokes, after being the most obnoxious, stupidly evil assholes since Bellamy, get handed a moral defeat after Judge starts crying because he couldn't believe the pirate he kept insulting behind her back would dare betray him. Big Mom turns out to be as stupid as any other OP character. And now she doesn't even get a proper fight, when she's literally the only female that had a chance of doing so.

It's all just so disappointing to me and I'm venting my frustration as a result of it. But at the same time, I know that this board generally enjoys the manga mroe than me, so I don't expect you guys to share my frustration. And that's okay. But I'm still allowed to bitch about it.

Veelk

Banned
And only Sanji and Zeff think that and from Nami's speech likely Oda, though it's weird Zolo has apprehension about it

I don't want to go over the whole thing yet again, but it's not a character thing, it's a manga thing. There is a reason why Robin, despite being theoretically one of the crews best fighters, hasn't had an opponent since Skypiea (which I remind you was mostly offscreen too). The manga can have diegetic reasons, but it's written to have those reasons. It's pervasive in every arc. For example, there is a reason why it was Reiju, and not Judge, Yonji, Niji, or Ichiji that got caught off guard in Big Mom's attack and needed protection from Luffy and Sanji.

If you keep inviting a friend over for a beer every weekend, and literally every weekend of the entire year he has some unfortunate and untimely emergency he has to go to at the time he was supposed to visit you, at some point, you realize he just doesn't want to have a beer with you.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I don't know who expected it, but I wanted it. I wanted Big Mom to have a good fight with the Luffy, like pretty much every major villain gets to do. I expected her to beat Luffy or at best have Luffy get in a good hit or two before GTFOing, but I wanted to see the fight in it's fully glory. It would have been awesome to see Luffy fight against an opponent that he legitimately in no way can handle for once.

And don't act like I'm asking for some unrealistic, pie in the sky thing here. Because the fight I'm describing happened. It just happened offscreen, so we didn't get to see it.
Didn't Sanji literally kick Big Mom last chapter?

Veelk

Banned
Didn't Sanji literally kick Big Mom last chapter?

He just deflected her attack, so no. I mean, technically he threw at an attack on her and it connected to her attack, which is arguably connected to her, but it's the same way he 'kicked' Kalifa when he blocked her attacks.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Blackleg's hatred of bread is honestly OP GAF's greatest mystery. Like dude aren't you a chef irl lol

Principate

Saint Titanfall
He just deflected her attack, so no. I mean, technically he threw at an attack on her and it connected to her attack, which is arguably connected to her, but it's the same way he 'kicked' Kalifa when he blocked her attacks.
I mean they both fought this chapter even if it was just defensive back up and San hi hasn't stated anything about his "morals" in regards to big mom pirates nor has it been a thing so the mistakes seem a bit misguided just they both fought and lost a tag team against her.

Veelk

Banned
Regardless, I want to nip this thing in the bud right now.

There are minor exceptions to the rule here and there throughout the manga. But the fact that they are exceptions firmly establishes that it is the rule.

Hitting women, even nonchivalrous characters are concerned, is depicted as particularly villainous and the story goes out of it's way to resolve conflicts with female character in such a way so as to not harm them from the heroes' perspective. "Oh, don't worry, Zoro didn't REALLY hurt Monet, he just scared her. But he totally would hurt her guys, trust me, he gives no shits. He just....y'know, didn't. Cuz he didn't feel like it" Or how none of Doflamingo's female minions are dealt with violently. Or how Smoothie hasn't gotten a fight scene yet even though she was introduced WAAAAAAAAAAAAY before Katakuri. And so on.

Trying to point to some scrap of the story like it somehow refutes the pervasive rule that is constantly reinforced means nothing.

It's why I wanted
Big Mom to have a honest, fullblown fight with Luffy. Because if she, the Yonko and strongest woman in the world, can't have that, then who the fuck can?

YAWN

Really cool twist that Stussy is from CP0. Do you think it implies she left the group or is still a member? I liked her design so her having potential prominence in the future is awesome.

I'm not too fussed if the crew leave without defeating Big Mom, the clues have been littered all over the arc that that's how it was supposed to go. Oda's just wanting to do justice to a Yonkou's crew. Taking down someone that powerful and influential can't be a one and done deal in 50 chapters like back in Paradise. They need build up, and having Luffy lose this one is a nice gradual power development for him. Lose to a Yonkou, defeat a Yonkou (Kaidou) with massive help, take Big Mom on one on one conveying he's now Yonkou level.

It'd be a bit naff if he took her out in her own territory, with her own crew, with just a ragtag bunch pirates, only one of which is a Supernova. Sanji, Capone, Carrot, Jinbe, and likely Ichiji are strong, but if the strongest there, Luffy, is struggling to take out the presumably weakest Sweet Commander, it just ain't happening.

I'm assuming Big Mom will play a role come Elbaf. It was a bit suspicious Oda chose such a hyped up country in her flashback. If my prediction is true, and it was Pudding who was originally intended to marry Loki but changed Big Moms memory to place the blame on Lola, I could see that as a big Elbaf plot point.

Then again, it's Oda. For all we know Morganz could be part of Roger's old crew and having seen the look of determination in Luffy decides to help and take on Big Mom solo.

LotusHD

Banned
Really cool twist that Stussy is from CP0. Do you think it implies she left the group or is still a member? I liked her design so her having potential prominence in the future is awesome.

I'm not too fussed if the crew leave without defeating Big Mom, the clues have been littered all over the arc that that's how it was supposed to go. Oda's just wanting to do justice to a Yonkou's crew. Taking down someone that powerful and influential can't be a one and done deal in 50 chapters like back in Paradise. They need build up, and having Luffy lose this one is a nice gradual power development for him. Lose to a Yonkou, defeat a Yonkou (Kaidou) with massive help, take Big Mom on one on one conveying he's now Yonkou level.

It'd be a bit naff if he took her out in her own territory, with her own crew, with just a ragtag bunch pirates, only one of which is a Supernova. Sanji, Capone, Carrot, Jinbe, and likely Ichiji are strong, but if the strongest there, Luffy, is struggling to take out the presumably weakest Sweet Commander, it just ain't happening.

I'm assuming Big Mom will play a role come Elbaf. It was a bit suspicious Oda chose such a hyped up country in her flashback. If my prediction is true, and it was Pudding who was originally intended to marry Loki but changed Big Moms memory to place the blame on Lola, I could see that as a big Elbaf plot point.

Then again, it's Oda. For all we know Morganz could be part of Roger's old crew and having seen the look of determination in Luffy decides to help and take on Big Mom solo.

I wanna say still a member. Doesn't seem like the type of organization one just leaves. We just need to drop the assumption that the CP0 can't be a part of some other shady shit for whatever reason.

YAWN

I wanna say still a member. Doesn't seem like the type of organization one just leaves. We just need to drop the assumption that the CP0 can't be a part of some other shady shit for whatever reason.

I hope that's the case. We're eventually going to have a run in with CP0, so it'd be cool to see what Stussy is capable of.

I remember the chapter the Underworld Brokers appeared for the tea party. I was expecting the likes of Crocodile so I was a bit disappointed when Oda showcased all these cool new designs for what seemed like one off characters. Now I'm thinking there's a lot more to them.

I think the most exciting thing that happened this chapter is the Tamatebako exploding. It was the most obvious thing about the arc, but now that thats out of the way, I truly have no idea what'll happen next. I firmly believe they'll escape, but how, I have no idea.

Mendrox

1. The chapter hasn't even been released yet so you don't know how much is shown
2. There was never any reason to believe that they would fight her now for real. Nami even said "Yo Zoro and co are still missing let's do this later"

It will still happen and will still be awesome. Just chill a bit.

SO big mom off screens luffy, sanji, and geram big daddy. My guess she used soul scream and it was effective.

Brook, brook fought her and damaged the prometheus soul.

I have a feeling we are now in the phase of not of who is more powerful but rock paper scissors .

Brook + ghost girl that follows zoro + ***** will be used to defeat big mom, I think luffy will be holding off either zeus or her commanders.

and finally that damned box

Top Bottom