• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Ray Down

Banned
Covers for the Ace novel and things related to it along with promotions for Vol 86 are out on AP.

In that Promo Pudding and Sanji take the stage, guess they will be on the cover.

Ogodei

Could've been a better conclusion. Kind of wanted the Tamatebako to blow up directly in Big Mom's face.

Of course, they're not out of the woods yet, unless the Tamatebako blew up Perospero's candy wall.

Jay RaR

So I saw a panel on Reddit where Oda drew an alternative take to Akainu's confrontation with Ace and Luffy. Instead Sabo saves both of them from Akainu's magma punch.

I have some mixed feelings about this. One I feel happy that Sabo at least had the decency to show up and save his brother(s). Two I feel sad this isn't what happened in the end. Third I feel annoyed that Sabo showing up still feels like a deus ex machina on the same level as Sabo showing up in Luffy's flashback.

LotusHD

Banned
So I saw a panel on Reddit where Oda drew an alternative take to Akainu's confrontation with Ace and Luffy. Instead Sabo saves both of them from Akainu's magma punch.

I have some mixed feelings about this. One I feel happy that Sabo at least had the decency to show up and save his brother(s). Two I feel sad this isn't what happened in the end. Third I feel annoyed that Sabo showing up still feels like a deus ex machina on the same level as Sabo showing up in Luffy's flashback.

How is it a deus ex machina to appear in a flashback lol

Jay RaR

Just not gonna link this huh.

Gomen! I thought I couldnt post scans, so I'll just post this instead.

How is it a deus ex machina to appear in a flashback lol

Just how Sabo is suddenly Luffy's other "brother" from nowhere. I know about Ace's tattoo and maybe those sake cups but still Luffy did not mention this once in like several hundred chapters. There were flashbacks before with Luffy and Ace as kids but I guess Sabo was conveniently absent those times.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just how Sabo is suddenly Luffy's other "brother" from nowhere. I know about Ace's tattoo and maybe those sake cups but still Luffy did not mention this once in like several hundred chapters. There were flashbacks before with Luffy and Ace as kids but I guess Sabo was conveniently absent those times.

Luffy doesn't talk about that stuff. It's not in any way hard to believe that he had a brother he never mentioned to the crew.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Gomen! I thought I couldnt post scans, so I'll just post this instead.

Holy shit! This would have been a megaton!!

I guess Oda decided it was too left field.

Jay RaR

Luffy doesn't talk about that stuff. It's not in any way hard to believe that he had a brother he never mentioned to the crew.

True, but at least when Ace died Luffy could've given a hint. Like lamenting that he's all alone or how he couldn't save his brothers or something.

LotusHD

Banned

That's not a deus ex machina though. And it actually has been foreshadowed, there's a cover page where there's a newspaper and bottle of sake left at the tombstones.

True, but at least when Ace died Luffy could've given a hint. Like lamenting that he's all alone or how he couldn't save his brothers or something.

What's the point when you get to see a flashback with Sabo in it not too long after Ace dies?

Jay RaR

That's not a deus ex machina though. And it actually has been foreshadowed, there's a cover page where there's a newspaper and bottle of sake left at the tombstones.

What's the point when you get to see a flashback with Sabo in it not too long after Ace dies?

It would make sense in retrospect in regards to the sake cups. The anime makes it obvious whereas in the manga it was vague (it was hard to say the third cup could've meant anything and there was no person visible afaik).

And i forgot the flashback took place after Marineford, but I'm somewhat mystified Luffy and Ace didnt mention Sabo at all the way up to Ace's death. No one questions why Ace has a crossed out S in the middle of his tatoo name. It's subtle but someone must've thought it was odd.

Metal B

So we just ignore, that Luffy never mentions Ace and everybody was surprised as he just appeared out of nowhere? Or how Luffy never mentions, that his grand father was the biggest rival of Gold D. Roger and a legendary marine? And those people were alive as far as Luffy knows. He just never talks about this stuff.

LotusHD

Banned
So we just ignore, that Luffy never mentions Ace and everybody was surprised as he just appeared out of nowhere? Or how Luffy never mentions, that his grand father was the biggest rival of Gold D. Roger and a legendary marine? And those people were alive as far as Luffy knows.
Luffy never talks about this stuff.

Dude didn't even know what his dad looked like until recently lol

---

As for Ace, who exactly would he tell about Sabo? Seems like a random thing to suddenly bring up, especially considering he's dead.

ckohler

As for Ace, who exactly would he tell about Sabo? Seems like a random thing to suddenly bring up, especially considering he's dead.
I get what you're saying but Luffy's flashbacks aren't stories being told by him. They are views into his past being told by Oda.

So we just ignore, that Luffy never mentions Ace and everybody was surprised as he just appeared out of nowhere? Or how Luffy never mentions, that his grand father was the biggest rival of Gold D. Roger and a legendary marine? And those people were alive as far as Luffy knows. He just never talks about this stuff.
None of the strawhats talk about their past willingly lol.

Jay RaR

[When Ace temporarily boards the Merry Go]

Usopp: Ace, I can't help but notice that crossed out S in your tattoo. Mind if I ask why you tatoo'd it like that?

Ace could drop a hint there about Sabo maybe. Remembering him might be painful for both of them yes but I feel Sabo is someone not worth forgetting lol.

As for Garp, well Luffy hates his guts and doesnt want to talk about him so Im not surprised about that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
DD_jEugXYAQM_UC.png:large

LotusHD

Banned
[When Ace temporarily boards the Merry Go]

Usopp: Ace, I can't help but notice that crossed out S in your tattoo. Mind if I ask why you tatoo'd it like that?

Ace could drop a hint there about Sabo maybe. Remembering him might be painful for both of them yes but I feel Sabo is someone not worth forgetting lol.

As for Garp, well Luffy hates his guts and doesnt want to talk about him so Im not surprised about that.

Usopp needs to mind his business.

Same with Carrot.

Gonna get a stew going.
Ray accept your new savior carrot.
Jinbe will jump in front of an attack meant for carrot and die in the process carrot will than vow to get stronger and take on the challenge of jinbe ma dream as a mink and unite all the humans,minks and fishman
#believe

LotusHD

Banned
Ok, in this alternate timeline Shanks accidentally shipwrecks on his way to Marineford, leaving Buggy to become the new Yonko in his place.

Oh my.

Do ppl seriously think he can win is that what's going on?

Some do, that if he can't, then what's the point of the whole 2 years training, etc.

Ignoring the writing on the wall with how Luffy struggled to beat Doffy, and needed to use G4 to beat Cracker, or how the whole crew isn't here, etc. I mean, anything's possible if Oda randomly wanted to ruin everything, but yea, obviously am glad that the Yonko everyone presumed to be weak or would be taken out first is strong af

It does of course call into question how exactly Luffy will beat them in a way that doesn't make it come off as BS, but guess we'll see.

It's funny and sad.

Glad this problem doesn't exist here or on AP.

All we have here is Jinbe and Carrot hate, not that bad all things considered.

Ogodei

It's funny seeing other communities get really pressed over whether Luffy is gonna beat Big Mom this arc.

I was in on the "Straw Hats win here" idea until she got tied more strongly into Elbaf's history, now we have a good idea that it'll get settled there.

Frankly they'd need the Giant Pirates to help them take on a yonkou anyway.

So the Wano Senshi help them fight Kaidou's army and the Giant Pirates help them fight Big Mom.

Maybe Dorry and Brogy will come back.

Oh my.

Some do, that if he can't, then what's the point of the whole 2 years training, etc.

Ignoring the writing on the wall with how Luffy struggled to beat Doffy, and needed to use G4 to beat Cracker, or how the whole crew isn't here, etc. I mean, anything's possible if Oda randomly wanted to ruin everything, but yea, obviously am glad that the Yonko everyone presumed to be weak or would be taken out first is strong af

It does of course call into question how exactly Luffy will beat them in a way that doesn't make it come off as BS, but guess we'll see.

All we have here is Jinbe and Carrot hate, not that bad all things considered.
Like what manga would you have to been reading to think for a second luffy can beat big mom? A timeskip(only two years at that) should not be enough to close the gap between a rookie and and what 40+ year old veterans. It'll happen obviously but I'm glad oda not on some hiro shit

LotusHD

Banned
I was in on the "Straw Hats win here" idea until she got tied more strongly into Elbaf's history, now we have a good idea that it'll get settled there.

Frankly they'd need the Giant Pirates to help them take on a yonkou anyway.

So the Wano Senshi help them fight Kaidou's army and the Giant Pirates help them fight Big Mom.

Maybe Dorry and Brogy will come back.

Yea, if it wasn't obvious before, it was obvious after we saw her as a 5 year old kill a giant....

Like I get it, he got a makeshift alliance with Capone and Germa, and Jinbe's also here, so people think "Why not?" But it just wouldn't be cool if he actually beat her when he didn't even plan on fighting her, just trivializes it all. I admittedly had doubts (I assume most of us did) that she'd be that strong in comparison to the other Yonkou (Although Shanks gets by on unearned hype :p), but she surpassed my expectations, that's for sure.

Also Oda's comment about currently not knowing how he'd have Luffy beat Kaido has stuck with me, gave the impression in general that he does not intend for any of the Yonko to beaten by Luffy in some cliche way. And hell, he may not even take them down on his own, tons of players out there in the New World.

Like what manga would you have to been reading to think for a second luffy can beat big mom? A timeskip(only two years at that) should not be enough to close the gap between a rookie and and what 40+ year old veterans. It'll happen obviously but I'm glad oda not on some hiro shit

How did Luffy beat Big Mom?

"Because he's Luffy!"

^^^ugh!! I shouldn't have brought it up now I'm thinking about it such a lame conclusion to a fight

You think Ezra vs Minerva would be the worst Ezra moment than he tops it

Top Bottom