• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Gintama's comedic styling heavy on japanese culture? I think that's only self-imposed barrier stopping me from trying it out.

Somewhat. It heavily used the straight man gimmick but it's not full on kabuki/japanese theater or deeply rooted in mythology like Joshiraku or Hoozuki no Reitetsu. Some jokes may go over your head and quite a few actually do require a translators note since they are very Japan specific (like a joke about a politician) but other then that its fine.

What are the odds we get a full version of the ending song? I really like it.

I'd take a full version of the intro song too.

ED will prob get a full version

Full OP

Is Gintama's comedic styling heavy on japanese culture? I think that's only self-imposed barrier stopping me from trying it out.

Early on a lot of the humor is derived from japanese media references that nobody in the west got (Crunchyroll adds some authors notes so you aren't lost). But it gets better as it goes on and it eventually relies on callbacks, new humor and references from the universe/established character jokes. A good point it starts to change is episode 25.

Evilisk

Yeah that dub is honestly terrible.

Gintama will likely never be dubbed fully anyway. But why would you want anyone but Sugita as Gintoki?

Fully agreed on that. This moment (don't click if you've never watched up to episode 153) would not have been as perfect without Sugita's voice

Early on. It starts to make fun of basically everything though (from general anime stuff, to video games, to even parodying itself)

zulux21

Yeah that dub is honestly terrible.

Gintama will likely never be dubbed fully anyway. But why would you want anyone but Sugita as Gintoki?

I'd take a bad dub on most shows that don't catch my interest but I kind of want to watch any day.

I can play video games while watching stuff when it is dubbed, not so much subbed.

plus for shows I like I enjoy watching them as they air and watching again when they are dubbed as very few dubs anymore are actually bad. I look forward to one punch man being dubbed just so I can justify watching it again.

I used to trash hulu, but trying the one month trial
and able to watch One Punch on 1080.

impressed.

Also, episode is building up for a huge show down.

12191043_1020323808023141_72577346920002388_n.jpg

ZoddGutts

One Punch Man 01-06

Finally got some time to binge the series of what it currently aired (thanks college and friends throwing parties left and right) and oh my gawd is this anime godlike, I CAN'T HANDLE IT!!!!! Over the top action and hilarious derp faces.

Wow I thought I was the only person in the world who actually watched that. (And liked it?)

one punch maaaaan

It's very popular with Fujoshi in Japan. I watched one episode and plan to go back to it, it's just the easiest example of something so steeped in mythology that it would be hard to "get."

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
i think the anime did it's best and it came out alright

abf.png

Wow at the subtleties in those two faces and how its just different enough that the manga version conveys "glee" which you expect given the situation like he's thinking "lucky!" while the anime version goes for it and loses it. I have to go back and rewatch the scene to confirm whether or not the animation arrives at the same expression at its apex because that would truly be a god-like attention to detail. Still, its great to see they tried.

Wow at the subtleties in those two faces and how its just different enough that the manga version conveys "glee" which you expect given the situation like he's thinking "lucky!" while the anime version goes for it and loses it. I have to go back and rewatch the scene to confirm whether or not the animation arrives at the same expression at its apex because that would truly be a god-like attention to detail. Still, its great to see they tried.

You're reading too much into it. The scene itself was after he had started attacking the people and he was just stopping him. This was way past any reaction of him being happy he found something. I think right after he says "I wonder if they'll give me anything for catching him". The face is close enough, any nuance seems minimal and can be hyper analyzed because the manga is a frame while in here it's for a small second.

Jintor

i'm really curious if they'll wait for murata to build more officially published backlog or go off ONE's webcomic with Murata designs supervising. Probably wait if I had to guess since this stuff is meant to push the manga, I suppose

Manga readers, can you IMAGINE
Saitama vs Garou
in season 2. Fuuuuuck.

that fight is more thematically epic than
Saitam v Boros
, but I think in terms of pure action, the latter is more exciting.

But yes, regardless, I would be hype as fuck for that fight. I would be hype as fuck for that whole arc.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Manga readers, can you IMAGINE
Saitama vs Garou
in season 2. Fuuuuuck.

WARNING: Contains webtoon spoilers. You've been warned.

I was honestly trying to imagine this very idea that today. I just can't imagine how they're going to pull it off but if they can have the talent that did the sparing fight last week have at it, it'll be epic and Madhouse will go bankrupt but it would be worth it. There's so many thing about the
final bout between Garou and Saitama
that were lost in the chaos and I felt like One's art style failed a little in that sense.

I mean like, I gleamed that
Saitama flipped the destroyed city into the air but it felt like it went into the stratosphere giving them enough time to fight while the city fell back to earth. Then there's the actual aspect of the fight which was abstract as fuck. I know the beat to beat moments and that Garou was changing and failing repeatedly but how he was being broken wasn't always clear.
It could be my memories but its the feelings I internalized at the time.

You're reading too much into it. The scene itself was after he had started attacking the people and he was just stopping him. This was way past any reaction of him being happy he found something. I think right after he says "I wonder if they'll give me anything for catching him". The face is close enough, any nuance seems minimal and can be hyper analyzed because the manga is a frame while in here it's for a small second.

You're probably right but those two images next to each other in a vacuum do have two different expressions for sure but I do think its a little navel gazing on my part being that one is an animation.

janoDX

In retrospective, is OPM first episode one of the best first episodes of anime ever? It just introduces everything to perfection, the dream sequence was madness and the soundtrack was amazing, it had everything going on and the series is delivering.

In retrospective, is OPM first episode one of the best first episodes of anime ever? It just introduces everything to perfection, the dream sequence was madness and the soundtrack was amazing, it had everything going on and the series is delivering.

Yep, it's a really good first episode.

janoDX

And thanks to this series and if Madhouse doesn't screw it up, my top 3 anime of this year will go to...

1- One Punch Man
2- Assassination Classroom (hate me for that)
3- Dragon Ball Super (saved by the last episodes)

6 episodes are still remaining for OPM, but I don't think it will drop in quality.

Edit: Forgot one series was made on 2014

And thanks to this series and if Madhouse doesn't screw it up, my top 3 anime of this year will go to...

1- One Punch Man
2- Assassination Classroom (hate me for that)
3- Space Dandy

6 episodes are still remaining for OPM, but I don't think it will drop in quality.

You sure about that third one bro? That was 2014

Hypron

If anything, I expect to really go all out for the final episode. Gotta leave a good lasting impression to make people more excited for the manga and a potential second season.

ant1532

Banned
what the heck. how did i just find out the manga originally came from a web comic that was roughly (but still well done) comic? i haven't seen much mention of it, i love how it looks my god that is motivating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom