• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSN

Banned
Great episode, but then again I dont wank to gifs, im liking how Genos is taking traits from Saitama like ignoring the old dude and stopping him mid rant, Saitama's smile with that new song was really sweet and showing him how much has he advanced as a character since the depressed state he was in.

ZarKryn7

Got damn, I really felt for saitama when
tanktop tiger and black hole got people to hate on him while he just stand there taking it all in. I really wanted Saitama to bust their asses even more. And I also love the fact Saitama wanted to everyone to come at him with complaints while he shot them down.

So ready for Pri-Pri-Prisoner next week
4Otk5nR.gif

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Episode was AWESOME. My favorite part was when Genos had that moment of reverence for Saitama in the apartment. He's like the only person that realizes that Saitama is a selfless hero, and probably the single most powerful person in the world, yet nobody knows or cares, not even Saitama. That moment of deep contemplation, serious music, and Saitama's derpy profile was perfect.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I didnt expect this series to have a real relatable nigh emotional moment.
Plus the episode just flew fucking by

Not

Banned
OK, what's up with fan artists putting the female characters in the "oppai" sweatshirt

Like, does anybody understand jokes or subtlety or anything or are they just cool with letting their genitals do their thinking for them

Skrams

Also man, I know some people were skeptical about the music I think beforehand since the guy hadn't worked on much, but mannnnn. It's some good shit so far. The reuse of certain themes and expanding upon them bit by bit is really doing it for me good.

So you all took Saitama snapping at the crowd as him being genuinely annoyed? I have always assumed the causal force behind Saitama's transformation into one punch man was because of some spiritual buddhist awakening that he underwent whilst he was training and him sort of becoming one with the universe. He does have the hairdo to reinforce the idea of him being the reincarnated buddha. All various emotions he displays at times is him just putting a farce. Farce for people around him and farce even for the audience. In reality he is at peace with anything and everything.

When Genos expresses admiration for Saitama I took that to mean Genos realizing that Saitama is willing to undertake emotional burden of crowd hating him and not that he is trying to emotionally support Saitama. His admiration was out of realization that Saitama's psychical being is just as vast and gargantuan as his physical prowess.

This opinion of mine is purely based on the 7 episodes I have watched by the way. The source material may have loads of info on how Saitama's pyche is really like and it's not what I have detailed herein.

I've not read ONE's version, but I assume that version taps into it more considering how much farther along it is than Murata's version. I don't exactly see it as a literal buddha thing. I still think Saitama has some breadth of emotion and it not being completely a farce as well. Emotions to him kind of don't mean anything though when he's a godlike being though. He stated as much in his bathtub in episode 1 as far as I remember. I do agree that he is physically super strong and also emotionally strong to an extent. I think he can also be in a state of depression while still being emotionally strong though. His life is lived for heroism, but he also wishes to seek the thrill of early heroism again. With him reaching a plateau with nothing coming close to him power-wise means he feels empty inside. I do think he'll stand by his beliefs of being a hero no matter what. Even if people ridicule him or don't realize who he is he'll keep pursuing heroism because it's the closest thing to making him feel more alive and like a person again. Genos first tagged along with Saitama because of his overwhelming power, but as times goes he realizes Saitama has even more to offer as a teacher. I think Saitama could be stable without Genos if he had to be, but life is more enjoyable when you have a friend there to share your pain or triumph or simply understand who you are.

I might be rambling and going off base a lot too when trying to put this into words, but eh dunno.

Also this kind of talk might be why Deep Sea King stuff is my favorite arc in Murata's version so far.

Nocebo

They really did Silver Fang justice with the design, his voice actor sounds as expected too, which is good. Unfortunately they skimped on animation with him. In the manga he smashes the fragments of meteor that fly at Genos, instead of having basically a still picture of him jumping away holding Genos. If they had him deflect/destroy fragments of meteor it would have made him look cooler and stronger in my opinion. Too bad the animation budget is apparently so small.

Having said all that I can't wait until next episode. The start of my favorite chapters.

Tripon

Also man, I know some people were skeptical about the music I think beforehand since the guy hadn't worked on much, but mannnnn. It's some good shit so far. The reuse of certain themes and expanding upon them bit by bit is really doing it for me good.

I've not read ONE's version, but I assume that version taps into it more considering how much farther along it is than Murata's version. I don't exactly see it as a literal buddha thing. I still think Saitama has some breadth of emotion and it not being completely a farce as well. Emotions to him kind of don't mean anything though when he's a godlike being though. He stated as much in his bathtub in episode 1 as far as I remember. I do agree that he is physically super strong and also emotionally strong to an extent. I think he can also be in a state of depression while still being emotionally strong though. His life is lived for heroism, but he also wishes to seek the thrill of early heroism again. With him reaching a plateau with nothing coming close to him power-wise means he feels empty inside. I do think he'll stand by his beliefs of being a hero no matter what. Even if people ridicule him or don't realize who he is he'll keep pursuing heroism because it's the closest thing to making him feel more alive and like a person again. Genos first tagged along with Saitama because of his overwhelming power, but as times goes he realizes Saitama has even more to offer as a teacher. I think Saitama could be stable without Genos if he had to be, but life is more enjoyable when you have a friend there to share your pain or triumph or simply understand who you are.

I might be rambling and going off base a lot too when trying to put this into words, but eh dunno.

Also this kind of talk might be why Deep Sea King stuff is my favorite arc in Murata's version so far.
The end scene was closer to how ONE ended.

NEO0MJ

I rather liked this episode. Genos was so great supporting his boss.

I wonder if
This Sea King fellow will be what Saitama wanted the Underground King to be.

My favorite part was when Genos had that moment of reverence for Saitama in the apartment. He's like the only person that realizes that Saitama is a selfless hero, and probably the single most powerful person in the world, yet nobody knows or cares, not even Saitama. That moment of deep contemplation, serious music, and Saitama's derpy profile was perfect.

Bang seems to have warmed up to him, though maybe I understood that scene wrong. Speaking of, I'm curious about his power. He's rank 3(?) and seems like a decent guy but didn't try to take out the meteor.

Episode was AWESOME. My favorite part was when Genos had that moment of reverence for Saitama in the apartment. He's like the only person that realizes that Saitama is a selfless hero, and probably the single most powerful person in the world, yet nobody knows or cares, not even Saitama. That moment of deep contemplation, serious music, and Saitama's derpy profile was perfect.
This was my favorite part of the episode as well. That personalization of Saitama's character was done very well.

Man, I'm glad I decided to give this show a shot. I blew through all 7 episodes this evening, and was saddened to learn that there weren't more yet.

I rather liked this episode. Genos was so great supporting his boss.

I wonder if
This Sea King fellow will be what Saitama wanted the Underground King to be.

Bang seems to have warmed up to him, though maybe I understood that scene wrong. Speaking of, I'm curious about his power. He's rank 3(?) and seems like a decent guy but didn't try to take out the meteor.
Not many S class Heroes can one-man Dragon class threats, and the meteor didn't exactly play well to Bang's particular skillset to begin with.

Now my boy Metal Bat
would have FLCL'd that meteor right back into space
. I can not wait till he debuts in the anime.

Dahbomb

Me too. This episode was fucking awesome. Don't know where the whole "worse episode" came from.
Worst episode for OPM is still better than most other anime out there so it doesn't really mean much. It was still highly entertaining and well animated.

Meffer

OK, what's up with fan artists putting the female characters in the "oppai" sweatshirt

Like, does anybody understand jokes or subtlety or anything or are they just cool with letting their genitals do their thinking for them
I think it's funny. It's just a shirt.

Parshias7

Remember that Hero Rank has to do with activity as well as strength, so Bang being the Rank 3 Hero doesn't necessarily mean he's the third strongest Hero, just that he's possibly more active than many of the other S Rank Heroes. Although he is very strong, as you'll see later.

You saw a flash of this with Metal Knight and Bang's words about "coldhearted Heroes", but one thing in this series is that the people in the Hero Association aren't necessarily heroic. You saw in this episode that essentially 16/18 of the S Rank Heroes didn't give a shit about a city being destroyed by a meteor. Now, that's partly because many of them wouldn't be able to do anything to a meteor, but it kind of gives you the idea that some of these heroes might have motivations for fighting outside of justice. Although this gets explored more in an arc we won't see this season, which Murata is covering at the moment.

duckroll

Production values felt a little weak this week, but it was still pretty damn funny. I think the Metal Knight and Genos stuff could have been handled better. By better I mean, with flashier animation of course. :p

Looking forward to the Sea King two-parter (?)!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
To put things in perspective (pages are from right to left):

Web version:
OyPFuu7.gif

Tankobon:
V9g170R.jpg

Web version:
Robot_ch21.gif

Tankobon:
sjWdbMR.jpg

Web version:
punch_by_eheroflarene79j2m.gif

Tankobon:
qWdCPAC.jpg

Web version:
YwzkSBo.gif

Tankobon:
XvbRhDi.jpg

near

Gold Member
Finally caught up to the latest episode, and I'm loving the series so far. I tend to be oblivious to anime humour but I'm finding this series to be hilarious in the right kind of way.

Skrams

To put things in perspective (pages are from right to left):
Yeah, Murata definitely had to cut it down if he didn't want stuff like the Meteor arc to take up half the book.
Do you think we'll ever get a S2 when more material enters the picture?
I'd love to see it. The only hitch with that is that the current arc seems like it would take way more than 12 episodes. Not sure if 24 would properly suit it or not. People keep tossing around 2+ year counts for Murata to finish the current arc. I'm tempted to read ONE's version soon because of how compelling the current stuff is. So pretty much I think it could happen if OPM maintains popularity, but I'm worried about how well the current material suits the current anime format.

Fuu

Just 3 more while I'm at it, of how the other "gif sequences" look in the print version (right to left):

Web version:
T2FTtHF.gif

Tankobon:
b6nAil5.jpg

Web version:
c6twdWS.gif

Tankobon:
NRHIz3U.jpg

Web version:
U5T19so.gif

Tankobon:
CsMEoTx.jpg

Squalor

One-Punch Man is fucking hilarious, and it's one-punching so many anime tropes in the process. I love it.

So glad there's still room for funny, but mature (in mood, tone, and action) anime given the landscape of the medium right now.

This is a manga thread? So many manga panels to scroll through..

The anime makes me dislike the series more and more screw the writer for continuing to power down genos for reasons no one understands just to make saitama with his dull punching more powerful. Genos should be the star!!!

I did laugh when he rushed to write down that standard line from Saitama.

Heroman

Banned

The anime makes me dislike the series more and more screw the writer for continuing to power down genos for reasons no one understands just to make saitama with his dull punching more powerful. Genos should be the star!!!

Genos hasn't been power down at all really, he is just a shrub.

Fuu

Decided to post these because people keep going back to these sequences from the manga and feeling disappointed, while the anime is based mostly on how it turned out in the print versions (for budgetary reasons too).

The latest episode had a handful of those, so I felt it was apt to throw in some comparisons. Sorry if it bothered you!

tumblr_nxvh40T1C21tmp8rdo1_r1_540.gif

Skrams

Please do not fuck the cyborg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom