• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philippo

lol a friend of mine who's really into the show wants to cut his hair to look like Saitama, and he also has the same attitude. If he does that, i'm gonna award him with the Oppai hoodie.

Fuzzery

Anyone else think the scene at the end where Saitama is yelling at the people was perfect? Really gives a lot of insight into his character and how depressed he is, and then Genos getting him out of that build up their relationship a lot imo.

squall23

Anyone else think the scene at the end where Saitama is yelling at the people is great? Really gives a lot of insight into his character and how depressed he is, and then Genos getting him out of that was perfect.
How did you interpret depression from that? If anything, it shows how much he really doesn't give a crap about being a hero in the public's eyes. He's nonchalant about everything else except being the hero that he wants to be (and when he wants to be).

NEO0MJ

How did you interpret depression from that? If anything, it shows how much he really doesn't give a crap about being a hero in the public's eyes.

I don't know about that. I mean I feel it's silly to say that Saitama doesn't want public appreciation. Him being bothered when someone else gets credit for his work is a running gag at this point. It's just that he doesn't feel desperate for it or drives him to heroism like others.

Qvoth

i'm gonna assume the final scene of episode 8 will be
saitama holding a knocked out licenceless rider saying "nice fight"
it's gonna be hypeeeeeeeeeee

Fuzzery

How did you interpret depression from that? If anything, it shows how much he really doesn't give a crap about being a hero in the public's eyes. He's nonchalant about everything else except being the hero that he wants to be (and when he wants to be).

Because they're calling into question the only hobby he has.

He doesn't get any enjoyment out of fighting because he's too strong, and the only thing left is his ideal of being of hero, and helping people. If that's called into question, then he has nothing left. If he really was that nonchalant about it he wouldn't have started yelling at them.

Genos has to basically drag him away from that argument and validate his way of life and hero philosophy.

My interpretation anyways

Skrams

This JoJo Part 4 stuff has made me learn that Metal Bat's VA will be Josukes VA from the JoJo games/ads. Metal Bat is gonna be aight.

I don't know about that. I mean I feel it's silly to say that Saitama doesn't want public appreciation. Him being bothered when someone else gets credit for his work is a running gag at this point. It's just that he doesn't feel desperate for it or drives him to heroism like others.
I sort of had a response for this a few pages ago. I thought of it as a self defense thing because he already felt isolated as a person due to his immense strength. The people isolating him for realsies made it a lot more real, so I can see it as him isolating himself as a self defense thing. He's been alright doing hero stuff up until now because it's what made him the closest thing to being happy or alive even if it doesn't make him feel as good as it use to. He'd like recognition, but if the people turn on him like they did then I think it's easy for him to shut himself away as he's use to that state of being at this point. Genos will continue to follow him though and this particular scene was a really great building block for them. I liked that scene a lot and I somehow didn't even remember that Genos wasn't even there in the regular Murata version. I guess it might be more similar to ONE's version or ONE/Murata might of consulted to add it? It seems like a thing they would do as that seemed like a super cool and important thing to add. I was super happy with it. Dat lil smile.
A combination of wanting to be recognized for his actions, but when he's recognized poorly I think his self defense mechanisms kick in telling him to ignore the public opinion. He's never been known until recently, so it's easy to go back to that state of trying to not care or isolation. It's nice that Genos is there for him to make sure he isn't completely alone. His little smile at the end is him sincerely happy about Genos being there for him I think.

Genos gets upgrades left and right, damn near every time we see him hes sporting some new arms. Its just that the threats get exponentially bigger every time shit goes down.

Whats the point of giving powerups if he will still lose. Thats the huge problem I have. I love when characters get powerups to win as it makes them really good stories but this goes against everything good.
tumblr_mvan7zp2PK1slh2poo2_1280.jpg
Its why the only thing that anime has going for it are the great home life scenes of Genos and Saitama [and also Speed o Sound Sonic, when hes drawn correctly]

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Genos never winning while being the attractive/cool character who keeps getting power-ups is the entire point of his character. The show is all about playing with those tropes.

Parshias7

Genos never winning while being the attractive/cool character who keeps getting power-ups is the entire point of his character. The show is all about playing with those tropes.

In case people are generally unaware of DTL's schtick: he believes that Fairy Tail, a manga/anime that plays shonen tropes completely straight in the most boring bog-standard way is legitimately good.

NEO0MJ

In case people are generally unaware of DTL's schtick: he believes that Fairy Tail, a manga/anime that plays shonen tropes completely straight in the most boring bog-standard way is legitimately good.

I sometimes wonder if it's a schtick because no one can be this dedicated.

It's a joke

That's the joke :D

I find Saitama sexier than Genos anyway, so what do I know lol.

Something must be wrong with you if you can't appreciate those plates and gears.

zeemumu

Anyone else think the scene at the end where Saitama is yelling at the people was perfect? Really gives a lot of insight into his character and how depressed he is, and then Genos getting him out of that build up their relationship a lot imo.

I think his depression was fleshed out the best in the first episode with the Subterranean King. This episode helps to support the point that the public are dumb as bricks and everyone is blinded by the ranking system, as well as why Saitama does what he does.

Chariot

A shift to what?
Bald men.
Away from ridiculous, moe and loli designs and over-the-top fan service.

A shift toward more mature (in mood, theme, plot, tone, and character) creations, toward being more creative.
It's this discussion again. There are and were always bad and good series and of course mostly mediocre ones. You just don't remember the majority of shitty stuff from the past because it was of course forgettable. Modern anime has some amazing and mature series if you care to look.

There are wayyyyy smarter and more mature series than one punch man. I'm a fan of but you can't honestly look over the most revered anime through the years and think One Punch Man is somehow thematically richer to the point of "shifting" the anime industry.

Squalor

It's this discussion again. There are and were always bad and good series and of course mostly mediocre ones. You just don't remember the majority of shitty stuff from the past because it was of course forgettable. Modern anime has some amazing and mature series if you care to look.
No, it's not "this discussion again."

I have been watching anime for twenty years. I have watched anime older than I am.

You aren't telling me anything new. However, to claim that moe and loli style anime aren't in abundance right now is just wrong.
There are wayyyyy smarter and more mature series than one punch man. I'm a fan of but you can't honestly look over the most revered anime through the years and think One Punch Man is somehow thematically richer to the point of "shifting" the anime industry.
I never said it was the pinnacle of mature anime, did I?

Nope. Never said. Never implied it. Try again.

Russ T

Banned

I mean, listen I get what you're saying, there's good stuff everywhere and everywhen, but...

To be fair, Squalor said nothing about old anime versus modern anime. (EDIT: Well, I guess he has now...!) He just lamented the moe/loli/fanservice bullshit, which is ever-present and ever-shitty. Even One Punch Man has some of that, and it's bleh.

Squalor

I mean, listen I get what you're saying, there's good stuff everywhere and everywhen, but...

To be fair, Squalor said nothing about old anime versus modern anime. (EDIT: Well, I guess he has now...!) He just lamented the moe/loli/fanservice bullshit, which is ever-present and ever-shitty. Even One Punch Man has some of that, and it's bleh.
It's shitty no matter where and when it pops up.

This Tornado girl or whatever looks as though she'll be incredibly annoying.

Russ T

Banned
It's shitty no matter where and when it pops up.

This Tornado girl or whatever looks as though she'll be incredibly annoying.

Yeah, I agree, it is shitty!

(Though those characters are at least interesting on their own, if you're capable of ignoring the blatant fanservice. Not the most interesting, but at least not one-note women.)

I would love for One-Punch Man's success to lead to a shift in anime as a whole.

If we're talking about financial trends in anime, the most prevalent one right now, which One Punch Man is a part of, is the increasing dominance of fujoshi in the Japanese anime purchasing market. UtaPri is the biggest selling show of the year, and this season it looks like the series that will sell the most, probably barring the latest Monogatari entry, is Osomatsu-san.

Russ T

Banned
I'm just wondering why One Punch Man's success in particular would act as some sort of catalyst.

It's subtly layered with more than just stereotypical shounen tropes and/or trope parodies. It's got some actual real emotional depth to it (with Saitama's obvious depression, and Genos' presence helping him open up and seem happier).

That, coupled with its extremely strong animation, both technically and artistically speaking, makes for a much more unique anime than most.

It'd sure be nice if we sacrificed some of the trash for more stuff of this caliber.

Not that I expect it to happen, either, of course.

Squalor

I'm just wondering why One Punch Man's success in particular would act as some sort of catalyst.
Above laid things out rather well before I could say anything.

Besides, what was the last manga-to-anime crossover success like this, Attack on Titan?

That played into tropes all the time and had much worse writing.

The quality and success of One-Punch Man are what I wished would lead a change. I didn't say they would.

Besides, what was the last manga-to-anime crossover success like this, Attack on Titan?

The quality and success of One-Punch Man are what I wished would lead a change. I didn't say they would.

Be careful not to conflate popularity in Western anime fandom with financial success in the Japanese anime market. The former is not something that matters much when considering factors that would change the industry.

Heroman

Banned

One punch isn't that successful to warrant change.

Maedhros

Really great episode. Murata's version was fantastic and there were some little details that weren't animated here, but it was good enough, IMO.

Next chapter should be amazing.

Be careful not to conflate popularity in Western anime fandom with financial success in the Japanese anime market. The former is not something that matters much when considering factors that would change the industry.

yeah if western popularity decided which anime get new seasons, Baccano and Black Lagoon would be fairly successful. Though the latter depends on a manga I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom