• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

didn't realize seven deadly sins was that popular. I kind of lost interest while watching the anime.

and great to know.

The yearly combined manga chart should not be used by itself as a popularity marker because those are the combined sales throughout a year for that series. The reason why Seven Deadly Sins is so high is because the TV anime started in October last year, which started boosting the manga sales significantly, including back issues. Whenever this happens for a manga, the more volumes available at that point, the higher the sales jump will be for that year. Actual popularity of a series should be judged by the total sales a new volume can attain over time, because that would be an indication of how many active readers there are still buying the series as it is released.

The trick is to also look at individual volume sales for the year: http://www.oricon.co.jp/special/48458/5/

As you can see there, One Piece can still easily sell over 3 million per volume, while Attack on Titan has hit the 2 million per volume range. Naruto is >1 million, while Tokyo Ghoul, Haikyu, and Assassination Classroom are ~1 million series. Ao Haru Ride and Silver Spoon are >900k series, and Seven Deadly Sin is behind those at ~900k. One Punch Man is a >700k series, but it's still growing in popularity, so if the anime gives it a good boost, it could climb to a ~1 million series. We'll see.

The yearly combined manga chart should not be used by itself as a popularity marker because those are the combined sales throughout a year for that series. The reason why Seven Deadly Sins is so high is because the TV anime started in October last year, which started boosting the manga sales significantly, including back issues. Whenever this happens for a manga, the more volumes available at that point, the higher the sales jump will be for that year. Actual popularity of a series should be judged by the total sales a new volume can attain over time, because that would be an indication of how many active readers there are still buying the series as it is released.

The trick is to also look at individual volume sales for the year: http://www.oricon.co.jp/special/48458/5/

As you can see there, One Piece can still easily sell over 3 million per volume, while Attack on Titan has hit the 2 million per volume range. Naruto is >1 million, while Tokyo Ghoul, Haikyu, and Assassination Classroom are ~1 million series. Ao Haru Ride and Silver Spoon are >900k series, and Seven Deadly Sin is behind those at ~900k. One Punch Man is a >700k series, but it's still growing in popularity, so if the anime gives it a good boost, it could climb to a ~1 million series. We'll see.

Marvel needs to slap its name over One Punch Man and add the series to the universe. That'll make it sell a buttload.

duckroll

Episode 11

For all the nice fight animation this week, the most hype scene was in fact the one where Boros simply survived after getting punched by Saitama straight on. Saitama's reaction was amazing too. Totally setting the stage for an EPIC finale next week. :)

Puruzi

Banned
Boros and Thanos team up.

Hulk and Saitama team up.

KywabZz.png

Shai-Tan

Banned
the OK line and the delivery was too funny. Even more so knowing how the hero usually reacts to the villain unveiling their true power level in shounen animes

Animation in this episode and the joke delivery was just off the charts perfect. I can't wait for next week's finale - that Boros showdown is going to be NUTS.

The world needs more One Punch Man anime in short order, things like this remind me why sometimes I feel this medium is so damn frustrating.

I just want everything to be a consistently released series that actually finishes its story. The bane of being a good anime based on an ongoing manga/light novel/webcomic, seriously every time I see a potentially good anime and find out its essentially an ad based on something ongoing it hurts my soul.

Great example for me of anime being done too early is Fullmetal Alchemist.

We had the first series with the anime last arc, ending and movie.

And then the second series that followed the manga to the tee. And done by BONES. Which I'm sure Duckroll loves.

Man, this episode was so freaking good. My brother and I were dying at "I guess I'll go left.". That smile just killed me!

It's going to be so sad to see it end next week. I'm going to be able to read ahead in the Manga and webcomic though, which I've been holding back on. One Punch Man will continue for me!

Mariolee

So I just read some of the webcomic for the first time.

The art is impressive in that it's not the most well drawn but is still able to tell such an amazing action story with competence. The crudeness of it makes the comedy all the more hilarious but brings down the fight scenes a bit.

Puruzi

Banned
That post reads like some monkey's paw type shit

You want OPM to sell more? Granted, but now it's part of Marvel's lineup.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Yo hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype this episode was amazing.

No mention of Mumen Rider and the A class heroes from the Deep Sea King battle being awesome? For shame GAF.

Liamario

Banned
So this is was the penultimate episode ;-(

How much story is left in the comic? Is it ongoing? Also, what's the likelihood of getting another tv series and even an ongoing to series?

duckroll

So this is was the penultimate episode ;-(

How much story is left in the comic? Is it ongoing? Also, what's the likelihood of getting another tv series and even an ongoing to series?

Another season is pretty likely, but probably not for another year or so. Ongoing TV series is impossible, unless you want it to look like a Toei show I guess.

Draxal

The webcomic is going really really really slow atm as well, it's at chapter 104 iircish, and only had like 5 chapters in the last year.

lol. These S class pips are so weak. The loli might be the only one good among them.

lmao. I knew it I will get hilarious replies.

LOL. I'm very well aware what I said and I do find them "weak".

If I was the author of one punch man. I would kill off mumen rider in the most brutal way. I hate him, his stupid bike, and everything that he stands for.

kSrR0Ev.png

Amazing little extras added in the episode too, and I loved that they included the maze.
Well, I am ready for the long, long wait for a second season.

Kieli

Even if they could go ahead and adapt ONE, I'd rather wait for the Murata version because it seems to flesh out the arcs and give more character development to the sides.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Seems like this isn't going to become the phenomenon Attack on Titan was if Google Trends is anything to go by :(

I was at a Hot Topic store the other day (don't ask), and there was AoT merch up the wazoo there. AoT commands the attention of the kiddos and the masses. You can cosplay the characters, and look cool. It has angst and friends and stuff. Until something like OPM can do those things it'll never be the titan that AoT is. Not that it ever needs to be, or should be.

Jintor

i really should read/watch more AoT so I can form a better opinion of it. I stopped watching like 10 episodes in because I was bored...

on the other hand, I was bored, so maybe it's not worth watching. Maybe reading? I can burn through manga pretty quick.

I was at a Hot Topic store the other day (don't ask), and there was AoT merch up the wazoo there. AoT commands the attention of the kiddos and the masses. You can cosplay the characters, and look cool. It has angst and friends and stuff. Until something like OPM can do those things it'll never be the titan that AoT is. Not that it ever needs to be, or should be.

My mom had surgery a few weeks ago and while I was sitting in the hospital waiting room I overheard some 10-ish year old girl a few chairs away say something like "I wish I was at home watching Attack on Titan" to her older sister, just out of nowhere. Shit is far reaching.

i really should read/watch more AoT so I can form a better opinion of it. I stopped watching like 10 episodes in because I was bored...

on the other hand, I was bored, so maybe it's not worth watching. Maybe reading? I can burn through manga pretty quick.

And I'm probably the major odd one out but I loved the manga but the anime killed my love of the series. I haven't read any new chapters since the anime finished airing, even though right before it started I had blown through them and was in love. I just felt really, really disappointed.

i think it's cos the concept is straightforward and direct but hasn't been done before

It's a combination of plenty of factors, the most obvious are:

1. It isn't very anime outside of the core concept of steampunk spiderman. It wouldn't have this mass appeal if it had more cliched anime situations and characters.

2. Its grim dark atmosphere.

3. It's action filled.

It's a great gateway anime. Usually i hit people with the 1-2 punch of watching this and then making them watch a much better dark fantasy anime. Aka Berserk.

Crocodile

i think it's cos the concept is straightforward and direct but hasn't been done before

Attack on Titan is basically a zombie anime. Zombie shows (regardless of where in the world you are) are a dime a dozen (though they tend to be popular). Also if you got up to episode 10 and were bored, don't bother because you've already seen the best the show has to offer. There a few peaks later on but overall meh.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

Don't give AoT that much credit. It's popular in a similar vein of something like the Hunger Games. It's that wayward "nobody-understands-my-struggle" coming of age tale of the attractive, but gloomy adolescent.

Jintor

Attack on Titan is basically a zombie anime. Zombie shows (regardless of where in the world you are) are a dime a dozen (though they tend to be popular). Also if you got up to episode 10 and were bored, don't bother because you've already seen the best the show has to offer. There a few peaks later on but overall meh.

of course, but it's not a zombie "we are all in a mall and have to survive" show, it's a zombie "we have a fully functioning nation dedicated to fighting the zombie menace" show and also the zombies are, like, singular killing machines instead of hordes (even when they are hordes of singular killing machines). I think that's a significant differentor.

Don't give AoT that much credit. It's popular in a similar vein of something like the Hunger Games. It's that wayward "nobody-understands-my-struggle" coming of age tale of the attractive, but gloomy adolescent.

Of course, but anything that breaks the anime-fan barrier to attract more attention should be looked at, if only for managing that achievement.

Moaradin

AoT is BORING. Those spider-man scenes are sick as fuck, but the cool sequences everyone talks about is like less than 5% of the actual show. The pacing is so bad for a big chunk of it. Episodes of nothing happening. Also has some of the most noticeable production issues for a show that popular.

Can't deny that it's a great gateway anime though. Combination of the opening, occasional sweet action scene, and grim tone really appealed to people. Season 2 probably won't blow up as much as the first season though.

Another season is pretty likely, but probably not for another year or so. Ongoing TV series is impossible, unless you want it to look like a Toei show I guess.

Madhouse has kept things consistent before in long-running stuff. Hunter x Hunter 2011 is definitely way above Toei for nearly the entire run, though it's no OPM.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Season 2 is gonna get everyone mad because of the direction they take instead lol.

I could never get mad at this glorious, glorious creation. I wouldn't mind an entire season of DIL adventures of Saitama and co. No city/planet-level threats needed. The concept and characters are that good.

Saitama goes shopping for groceries while Genos goes through the electronics district. Mumen Rider helps a lost girl find her family.
Etc.

duckroll

I don't agree at all that AoT is just a "zombie anime". That wouldn't explain the popularity it has over lots of anime and manga which are actually more traditional zombie stuff. AoT's success comes from the author's ability to create an original product with a really strong hook - it's a mix of Godzilla's disaster tone, Spider-man's mobility in the squad action, Ultraman's scale in the titan vs titan action, Mad Max's setting, Sengoku influences in the political intrigue, and modern western television's influences in the narrative design which uses teases, lots of foreshadowing, cliffhangers, and plot twists to get people hooked on the long form story.

Taxman

Back at Thanksgiving, my family had a huge gathering. My mother just recently started taking care of my grandmother since she isn't mentally capable of living alone anymore, so about 27 other family members from around the country showed up to see her. This included like 7 cousins from different families that I haven't seen in like 12 years, back when they were all toddlers, so it was like we were meeting for the first time. It was a pretty varied group. There was the MTG playing nerdy twins, the soon-to-be-cheerleader, the baseball jock, the guitar playing future rock star... it was a very eclectic group of teens. So we're all sitting around looking at our phones and being anti-social and awkward, especially with me, somebody around 13 years their senior hanging around. I was reading reddit and saw something about OPM and I mumbled something like "Man, One Punch Man, why do you make me have to wait a week every time?" and suddenly I'm like their best friend. Somehow, independently, they ALL watched the show. I want to repeat this wasn't a group of just nerds or something, it was as wide an interest group of teenagers as any you would probably find. I was shocked. And almost none of them knew about the manga or webcomic. I went from balding creepy cousin to the cool older cousin in like 2 seconds flat. It was amazing. So who knows? When this hits Adult Swim, it might take off more than some of you think.

I could never get mad at this glorious, glorious creation. I wouldn't mind an entire season of DIL adventures of Saitama and co. No city/planet-level threats needed. The concept and characters are that good.

Saitama goes shopping for groceries while Genos goes through the electronics district. Mumen Rider helps a lost girl find her family.
Etc.

I meant Attack on Titan.

I don't agree at all that AoT is just a "zombie anime". That wouldn't explain the popularity it has over lots of anime and manga which are actually more traditional zombie stuff. AoT's success comes from the author's ability to create an original product with a really strong hook - it's a mix of Godzilla's disaster tone, Spider-man's mobility in the squad action, Ultraman's scale in the titan vs titan action, Mad Max's setting, Sengoku influences in the political intrigue, and modern western television's influences in the narrative design which uses teases, lots of foreshadowing, cliffhangers, and plot twists to get people hooked on the long form story.

What traditional zombie anime are there? High School of the Dead ain't one, nor is School Live. I Am a Hero is one, but that's manga and isn't available in America yet.

Jintor

I meant Attack on Titan.

OPM x AoT would be pretty fucking great. Just a one shot of Saitama completely wrecking everything, including the angst.

OPM I think has a very similar hook - "Superhero who defeats everything in one punch and is suffering from depression because he's got no challenge in his life", or to simplify further, "Hero who defeats everything in one punch". That's something you can take to any friggin bank

highschool of the dead would have been the perfect zombie anime if they had like skipped all of the perverted shit really. It was basically the same setting and idea as every zombie movie, only starring high school students. It would have been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom