• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black - Season 1 on Netflix - Every sentence is a story

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck guys. I'm ALMOST done and these vague spoilers are making my butt ache.

Holy shit this is very good. It takes a lot to keep me on a show.

The Harry Potter reference in one of the earlier episodes was great
how someone has a copy of Goblet of Fire early in the episode, then later they're in the cafeteria awaiting the voting results, and Chapman gets picked even though she didn't enter

ivysaur12

Banned

how someone has a copy of Goblet of Fire early in the episode, then later they're in the cafeteria awaiting the voting results, and Chapman gets picked even though she didn't enter

Oh wow.

Merlin's pants! I missed that one.

On another note, sometimes I feel like Piper is channeling Beatrix Kiddo. What a damn fine actress.

Merlin's pants! I missed that one.

On another note, sometimes I feel like Piper is channeling Beatrix Kiddo. What a damn fine actress.

Taylor is killing this shit. She has more charm than many actresses I've seen. Her performance is honestly a big part why I've stuck with it. I like the story and everything but I'm genuinely invested in the character.

lunchtoast

Started watching this last night, and on episode 6 now. Really enjoying it. Damn at those torpedo tits in the first scene.

GQman2121

Banned
Is it just me or did Healy have a very sudden and dramatic change in attitude towards Chapman beginning at the
flu
episode?

Up until that point he seemed fairly reasonable when dealing with her and other inmates. It wasn't until she was
sent to the shoe
during Thanksgiving that she
blew up on him for his overreaction
which would have justified his feelings toward her.

I don't know, it was something that really stood out to me because the writing and supporting characters up to that point were all very consistent. Ms. Claudette's early Haitian voodoo allure was dropped fairly quickly, but this Healy thing really took me and the person I've been watching with by surprise. We both were somewhat shocked at how big of a dick he became.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Amazing cast! Also Crazy Eyes in a dress!

v7g2Kbf.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Is it just me or did Healy have a very sudden and dramatic change in attitude towards Chapman beginning at the
flu
episode?

Up until that point he seemed fairly reasonable when dealing with her and other inmates. It wasn't until she was
sent to the shoe

I don't know, it was something that really stood out to me because the writing and supporting characters up to that point were all very consistent. Ms. Claudette's early Haitian voodoo allure was dropped fairly quickly, but this Healy thing really took me and the person I've been watching with by surprise. We both were somewhat shocked at how big of a dick he became.
It was always there, just concealed. I mean read between the lines with all the stuff about lesbians and what not that he spouts out right from the get go.

anaron

flu
episode?

sent to the shoe

Really? It felt completely natural to me. Comparatively, he doesn't seem that bad, but his homophobia is clearly established in the pilot and he goes above and beyond in living up to it when his precious Chapman proves to be like "them."

oni_saru

Just finished this. This show is great!! I'm invested in the story of all the prisoners!! I want more on them.

Piper was interesting at first but started to get really annoying as the episodes went on. I couldn't stand her selfishness. Really started to hate her by the end.

Red's
downfall was really disappointing. I really wanted Mendez to go down but it didn't work out perfectly. :( I hope Red can fix her relationship with Silent Bob & the other chick. :(

Also glad Taystee came back. Prison wasn't the same without her. Really sucks it didn't work out for her when she got out. :(

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Finally finished this, great ending.

The downfall of the Netflix model: a longer wait for the next season.
No kidding. :(

Only episode I wasn't crazy about was the chicken episode. Even though the show is a dramedy, it was too silly. Besides that, everything was superb. I can't advocate for this show enough.
Just finished this. This show is great!! I'm invested in the story of all the prisoners!! I want more on them.

Piper was interesting at first but started to get really annoying as the episodes went on. I couldn't stand her selfishness. Really started to hate her by the end.

Red's
downfall was really disappointing. I really wanted Mendez to go down but it didn't work out perfectly. :( I hope Red can fix her relationship with Silent Bob & the other chick. :(

Also glad Taystee came back. Prison wasn't the same without her. Really sucks it didn't work out for her when she got out. :(
Your feelings are very well reflected in the show. It's difficult for me to dislike a main character, like Walter White and Don Draper, even when they're clearly in the wrong.

We don't have to spoiler tag but I will:
Red got what she deserved; Medoza did nothing wrong IMO. She simply took advantage of an opportunity given to her.

While I was glad she returned, Taystee's situation is common for people released from prison. They are expected to get their act together without an assistance, a hard order for a convict. The prison industrial complex focuses too much on punishment over rehabilitation.

Ashok

Banned
But, isn't that what Orange did? I thought it had an abundance of cliffhangers, which makes that particular criticism odd.
I think what the person meant was that "OITNB" isn't a STORY driven serial with sweeping cliffhangers like "24", where an episode ends with Jack Bauer preparing to cut a wire on a time-bomb, and in the intro of the next episode he snips the wire.

ivysaur12

Banned
Really? It felt completely natural to me. Comparatively, he doesn't seem that bad, but his homophobia is clearly established in the pilot and he goes above and beyond in living up to it when his precious Chapman proves to be like "them."

Also, remember Nicky's initial reaction to hearing her counselor was Healy? There was a pause of contemplation, but that was before she knew Piper was bi.

I think what the person meant was that "OITNB" isn't a STORY driven serial with sweeping cliffhangers like "24", where an episode ends with Jack Bauer preparing to cut a wire on a time-bomb, and in the intro of the next episode he snips the wire.

Maybe? I still don't see the criticism. And not all good TV needs to be hyper serialized. Some episodic engines are fine.

flu
episode?

sent to the shoe
Actually I really like the Healy arc and it made sense to me. He saw Piper as his pet project-- a nice, educated, straight white woman-- who could be on his side, be his mole and reinforce his backwards ideas about the world. So when she turns out not to be what he thought, it's not just his homophobia, it's that he's been "betrayed" by her and he lashes out accordingly.

Also? Those instagram shots of the cast are frickin adorable. I love them!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Count me in the group of people who felt the Healy change came out of nowhere. I never saw it as
anything even REMOTELY romantic (which Piper accused him of as well) in any way. Really felt out of left field.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny how the show started out with all these nude scenes, but after that they taper off considerably.

The first episode is really really different. It's pretty apparent they really wanted to provide a strong understanding of the main character before really getting into it, which is extremely important to the story. But it's also incredibly boring and so they just try to keep viewers engaged with sex.

It's a pretty terrible first episode all things considered, but at least the overall show turned out great.

Count me in the group of people who felt the Healy change came out of nowhere. I never saw it as
anything even REMOTELY romantic (which Piper accused him of as well) in any way. Really felt out of left field.

I thought he was acting fairly flirty at the start, and its a pretty common progressive theory that a lot of social conservative philosophies of homophobia, abortion, and slut shaming is just men worried that their wife or imaginary wife is going to leave them for someone better than they are.

So if you're involved in progressive circles that talk about things like that, it becomes pretty easy to see it coming, but I could see how I'd miss it if I didn't have others teach me that psychological theory beforehand.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I thought he was acting fairly flirty at the start, and its a pretty common progressive theory that a lot of social conservative philosophies of homophobia, abortion, and slut shaming is just men worried that their wife or imaginary wife is going to leave them for someone better than they are.

So if you're involved in progressive circles that talk about things like that, it becomes pretty easy to see it coming, but I could see how I'd miss it if I didn't have others teach me that psychological theory beforehand.

Man I didn't catch anything flirty at all at the start. Not even close.

Thanks though for that backhanded shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What backhanded shit? I'm sorry I didn't mean to be like that.

Oh good, I thought you were being shitty. Right on then. :)

I just didn't catch anything of what Healy was doing in any way felt romantic or flirtatious. It felt (which you did detail) that it was more fatherly like a teacher's pet - I was genuinely blindsided when Piper
spit that venom at him when she was in solitary
- thinking "where did THAT come from?"

Arment

I can't believe there are people that don't like the opening credits. The imagery + "remember all their faces, remember all their voices" is hauntingly affecting..

Loved the opening credits and I bought the song off Amazon.

Just finished the show myself and I like it way more than I ever liked Weeds. Also, fuck Healy. Can't wait to see that dude burn.

Oh good, I thought you were being shitty. Right on then. :)

I just didn't catch anything of what Healy was doing in any way felt romantic or flirtatious. It felt (which you did detail) that it was more fatherly like a teacher's pet - I was genuinely blindsided when Piper
spit that venom at him when she was in solitary
- thinking "where did THAT come from?"

Really? He unfairly put her in the SHU-- which is basically torture. Not surprising that she'd be furious and ready to call him out on his shit.

royalan

I haven't read much of this thread since the show started, and I'm only on episode 5 so I won't be reading more of it until I'm done so as not to spoil myself...

But this show has some real charm. One of the most endearing cast of characters of any recent series. Still got a ways to go, but so far I'm in love.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Uh she's... better. Never found her particularly attractive but there is something about her maybe. I guess. I dunno, I'm drunk.
See, I'm with you about never finding her particularly attractive, but on this show... yeah, she does it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom