• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black - Season 1 on Netflix - Every sentence is a story

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

^ so much that Tastyee does cracks me the fuck up.

"Animal planet 24/7 bitches!"

"this ain't the fuckin help, BITCH. But you will eat my shit."

royalan

Just finished and absolutely loved it. Such a large cast and I fell in love with pretty much all of the characters (especially Taystee and Poussey).

I lost my shit at Taystee dancing when she got out.

tumblr_mqmd7qLVZs1qm7q1uo1_r1_250.gif
tumblr_mqmd7qLVZs1qm7q1uo2_r1_250.gif

As funny as the dance was, I actually teared up during this scene.

Really great work with the characters.

Zigzz14

Just finished the last episode and I don't really have anything different to add. It was a terrific first season of a show I had no expectations for going in. Can't wait for season two. One question what was with Boo and the dog? Did I miss something? It seems like randomly in one episode she gets a dog.

Valhelm

contribute something
I really loved how pretty much every character had a developed backstory, and even the most horrible characters had their sympathetic moments.

Suzanne (Crazy Eyes) probably had the most tragic background. We never explicitly learned about her past, but she is an isolated, mentally disturbed young woman who suffers abuse from all angles. She doesn't fit in with anybody, and everything she tries to do is hindered by poor social skills or her illness. Her uptight adoptive parents seem to treat her like a child, and the only person who she sees as a friend loses her trust in one of the most hurtful ways imaginable.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Ivy's mom's review after 3 episodes: "Well. There are many lesbians."
This was the conversation I had with my father a few days ago:

"I've been watching Orange is the New Black on Netflix. It's really good; Ma and I both like it."
"Does it have lesbians?"
"Yes, it has lesbians."
"Oh yeaaaaaaah."

Hey watched it for five minutes before deciding he didn't like it.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked this show, been taking my time going through and just finished the thanksgiving episode.

I've been wondering where I saw Healy before and it finally clicked when he was yelling at Piper, it's Steve the drunk from Deadwood! Damn he looks so different.

Shahadan

You're thinking of Patti Mayonnaise Yoga Jones.

I think Pennsatucky got shortened time and minimum security prison thanks to the conservative zealots who paid for her lawyer.
Yeah that's what it seems.
Miss Claudette also killed in cold blood, even if she had reasons. Still ended up in minimum sec.

royalan

Yeah that's what it seems.
Miss Claudette also killed in cold blood, even if she had reasons. Still ended up in minimum sec.

Yeah. Speculation is that she's not actually in prison for murdering that guy. Reopening her case was based off of there being some new development in immigration law. If she were in prison for murder I don't think immigration reform would matter for her. She's likely in prison for the human trafficking part of her back story, with the murder being shown just to show that the rumors about her were coincidentally right.

Social

Loved the show, only disliked the chicken episode. It was boring. Also found a few things VERY predictable but overall... Bring on the next Season!

royalan

He knows.

I noticed today that Netflix is no longer streaming a few adult drama shows such as Weeds and Damages. I wonder if it is at all a reflection of their move to more original programming?

I fucking hope so. I really want OitNB to blow the fuck up, because I am obsessed with the Netflix model of programming, and they seem pretty dedicated to making quality shows.

- Casting news from Deadline: ‘Orange Is The New Black’ Adds Lorraine Toussaint, Promotes Danielle Brooks
Heading into second season, Netflix’s comedic prison drama Orange Is The New Black has added Lorraine Toussaint in a heavily recurring role. Additionally, Danielle Brooks, who recurred on Season 1 as Taystee, has been promoted to regular.

Toussaint, repped by Innovative and manager Craig Dorfman, will play Vee
, a long-time street tough who ran her own drug business, recruiting children to serve as runners.
She recurs on ABC Family’s The Fosters and starred in Ava Duvernay’s Middle Of Nowhere. Brooks, repped by Innovative, landed the role of carefree Tasha Jefferson aka Taystee fresh out of Julliard.

UrokeJoe

Started watching this the other day and we are up to episode 8, very watchable and enjoyable. I found myself thinking- wow Netflix you are really doing things..

f0rk

Just finished the series.

Enjoyed it but still have the same complaint, these women aren't convincing as convicted criminals except for maybe the hillbilly white ones. They went too far in making them misunderstood, and when the fiance talked on the radio about them and Piper got mad at him with the whole "YOU DON'T KNOW THESE PEOPLE" I found myself not believing that the majority of inmates are actually like that. I guess the point was to make me challenge any prejudices against people in prison but I personally wasn't convinced. As I said before, mustache guard and the boss dude were more convincing as criminals
the last scene made him out like he was a boss in the Sopranos or something which came out of nowhere

Interested what happens next, maybe
she goes to high security and it feels like actual prison rather than a summer camp that no one really wants to be at.

royalan

Just finished the series.

Enjoyed it but still have the same complaint, these women aren't convincing as convicted criminals except for maybe the hillbilly white ones. They went too far in making them misunderstood, and when the fiance talked on the radio about them and Piper got mad at him with the whole "YOU DON'T KNOW THESE PEOPLE" I found myself not believing that the majority of inmates are actually like that. I guess the point was to make me challenge any prejudices against people in prison but I personally wasn't convinced. As I said before, mustache guard and the boss dude were more convincing as criminals
the last scene made him out like he was a boss in the Sopranos or something which came out of nowhere

Interested what happens next, maybe
she goes to high security and it feels like actual prison rather than a summer camp that no one really wants to be at.

...but that's kind of what minimum security prison is. This isn't OZ with a bunch dangerous nutjobs glaring daggers at you 24/7. Most of the women in there are there for minor crimes (or manage to get damn good lawyers). At the end of the day, it's just a bunch of real women who made some bad choices having to share a space and make the best of their time.

My older step-sister did 2 years in a minimum security prison (coincidentally, for trying to move a shit ton of marijuana from Canada with her then-boyfriend), and based on the stories she's told me, the show's kinda nailed it. I chuckle whenever a character likens it to high school, because that's exactly how my sister described it.

If anything, minimum security prison is probably a lot less eventful irl.

royalan

HOLY F U C K...

I JUST realized that Taryn Manning was the white chick in Hustle & Flow.

She kicked ass in that. I already thought she was great as Pennsatucky, have a whole new respect for her now.

Just finished and absolutely loved it. Such a large cast and I fell in love with pretty much all of the characters (especially Taystee and Poussey).

I lost my shit at Taystee dancing when she got out.

tumblr_mqmd7qLVZs1qm7q1uo1_r1_250.gif
tumblr_mqmd7qLVZs1qm7q1uo2_r1_250.gif

best scene in the series. best character too. i was grinning like a kid when she did this....and then the following scenes with her character was such a bummer :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom