• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orcs Must Die! |OT| Traps have never been so fun!

2th

Banned
Time to Update the OT!!!

SalsaShark said:
game's great, but yet another victim of:

v-sync off = awful tearing

v-sync on = mouse input lag

:(

any workarounds?

dont tell me this. i want this game to be flawless. the demos i was playing at E3 were fucking amazing.

Blizzard

Banned
SalsaShark said:
game's great, but yet another victim of:

v-sync off = awful tearing

v-sync on = mouse input lag

:(

any workarounds?
I'm assuming the time-honored method of D3DOverrider to force vsync and triple buffering doesn't help?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
FPS caps tend to introduce less mouse lag than vsync. Many titles have the feature in engine. Nvidia is getting it with the next batch of drivers.

Just tried out the demo on PC. This may be just another TD style game, but it is incredibly well done. It's a simple game in a lot of ways, but there is some smoothness to it that makes it a lot of fun to play. *Edit*: It also looks insanely sharp on high resolutions with AA. Or is that just me?

markot

Banned
What sucks about this game.

Is that the pre order bonus for the game, doesnt say 'IN TF2!' >.>! Every steamworks game should have a mandatory TF2 item attached.

hitoshi

I don't think anyone is interested but I've posted my review 8 hours ago. It's in Hungarian, so, yeah, not a fun read for you guys :)

http://bit.ly/pECh9L

+Great levels, awesome weapons
-Lifeless, dull presentation, just one game mode

7/10

AEREC

hitoshi said:
I don't think anyone is interested but I've posted my review 8 hours ago. It's in Hungarian, so, yeah, not a fun read for you guys :)

http://bit.ly/pECh9L

+Great levels, awesome weapons
-Lifeless, dull presentation, just one game mode

7/10

Really, I thought the demo had great presentation and the intro and the one liners the guy was saying kinda cracked me up.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Played the XBLA trial and bought it immediately.

It's solid, well designed, and special note goes to the Ash-like hero's attitude, VA, and the soundtrack. Gothic cheese-rock with just the right satirical schwing to it. Hero makes constant snarky comments, plus actually says things that are useful to gameplay such as "they're under the bridge" and "they've made it around the corner". This stuff matters.

FYI, deeper in the game than the trial goes, you actually get skill trees to level up during a map and make decisions on what elements of your hero abilities, and trap mechanics, you'd like to buff. These are not permanent upgrades - the skill tree resets every time you play a map. You can also replay earlier maps in the campaign with all of your new traps, upgraded traps, and expanded skill bar in order to get superior scores and times on the leaderboards, so this is not one of those games were the early maps are basically wasted on tutorials and never seen again.

I actually am looking forward to trying Nightmare Mode with an upgraded hero and such, because you get f**king deadly as the game progresses, and can set up serious meat grinder trap combinations. Total slaughter.

Folks should really not sleep on this game. Nicest little package I've seen on XBLA in some time.

ElRenoRaven

theMrCravens said:
Demo was fun, but really wish it was 800 points.
Last week's XBLA deals kinda drained me.

Yup. Just tried demo on Steam and dear god it's fun. Without a doubt when I get a couple bucks this is bought.

Bought without playing the demo. It's very fun. I think it's going to be overshadowed by dungeon defenders in a few weeks, but it's a nice bridge until then.

JesseZao

Just played through the demo on steam and enjoyed it. Not sure I want to bite at $15 for no co-op and limited modes. I'll probably wait for a sale on either steam or xbla. Compared to trenched and rock of ages, I'm not sold yet.

Gaspode_T

Exceeded my expectations, I think I like it more than Trenched. Trenched has a strange limitation on your movement that this one doesn't have. This game is more about pure fun and setting the traps is very logical and the results are very visually rewarding. The game also has a lot of character and humor. I think it would have fit in Summer of Arcade fine. Not many people have it on my friends list yet, hopefully it's not the Gears of War 3 effect I was worrying about. At least check it out folks, especially if you like fantasy and watching orcs walk into spikes.

ElRenoRaven

Danne-Danger said:
I caved and tried the demo anyway. Great stuff!

Headshot
Headshot
Headshot
Headshot
Headshot
Headshot
Headshot
Headshot

Ha you caved and played demo while I caved and preordered on Steam. I just can't stop playing that demo. Spent all afternoon playing it. Luckily I have a couple of old PS3 games I'm trading in on Saturday anyway which will cover it. I always go with my gut and for the price and the amount of fun I'm getting out of just the demo I have to support them and buy it new for full price.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Very enjoyable game, great personality! It's simple, straightfoward, and refined. In some ways, I like it more than Trenc- Iron Brigade.

One thing the game REALLY could have used though, is an elegant way to restart stages, after clearing them. The only way you seem to be able to do this, is by going back to the stage select, and selecting the stage over again. A bit annoying when trying to rush leaderboards, but not a huge deal.

And I really wish some of the text was a bit bigger, in consideration of SDTVs, lol. But I guess thats a shrinking concern, sooo...

Gaspode_T

SAB CA said:
Very enjoyable game, great personality! It's simple, straightfoward, and refined. In some ways, I like it more than Trenc- Iron Brigade.

One thing the game REALLY could have used though, is an elegant way to restart stages, after clearing them. The only way you seem to be able to do this, is by going back to the stage select, and selecting the stage over again. A bit annoying when trying to rush leaderboards, but not a huge deal.

And I really wish some of the text was a bit bigger, in consideration of SDTVs, lol. But I guess thats a shrinking concern, sooo...

Wow you are gaming on an SDTV? GAF XBLA league needs to have a "let's buy a HDTV for SAB CA fundraiser"

The only stage I got a bad score on so far was the first one with barricades, because I thought I would have to lay down a bunch of them to block the orcs from going the "long way around" but I probably bought too many, I had to fight them off at the footsteps of the altar thing with most of the waves. I also noticed the archer dudes don't do very well if the orcs can get to them, they pretty much go down even if I put an arrow wall or spike next to them

I like the arrow walls a lot, that's what I upgraded first I guess so I'm trying to use them a lot. I also like wind blasting orcs into acid.

Just won a free code for this from the @PlayXBLA twitter feed. I haven't followed this game at all so I'll be playing it completely fresh this weekend.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
tjohn86 said:
Preordered this on Steam, the demo really sold me.

Shame about coop though.
I think they would need some type of randomness to pull of a long lasting co-op mode. Otherwise, it's kind of one and done. I'd rather see a versus mode where you purchase and send waves of Orcs at each other.

Mrbob

Tried the demo out on Steam this morning, very cool. Putting in my pre order this weekend for next Tuesday release.

This should be another case to launch a demo ahead of release. Orcs Must Die is currently sitting at number 3 in the top 20 steam sellers list.

ElRenoRaven

Mrbob said:
Tried the demo out on Steam this morning, very cool. Putting in my pre order this weekend for next Tuesday release.

This should be another case to launch a demo ahead of release. Orcs Must Die is currently sitting at number 3 in the top 20 steam sellers list.

WOW. It's up to number 3 now? Just shows what a damn good demo can do for you.

Oh that piece of shit Fable 3 is at number 2. That's criminal.

Ken

Downloading the demo now on Steam. Shame about no co-op. Would also be cool to see some character customization/alternate characters with different skills; customization was my favorite part in Trenched.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I haven't played it much, but so far I'm enjoying it.

I dig the vibe the art style has. It is pretty distinct with a bit of gouache color saturation. The main character has the Ash thing going on. He sort of reminds of the Northern Paladin from Magic the Gathering drawn by Douglas Schuler.

213.jpg

The orcs and elven archers give me a a little hint of Quinton Hoover (Wrath of God)/ Alphonse Mucha Art Nouveau vibe.

The music/sound works as well. One of the songs reminded be of Pussy Liquor by Rob Zombie.

ElRenoRaven

Brimstone said:
I haven't played it much, but so far I'm enjoying it.

I dig the vibe the art style has. It is pretty distinct with a bit of gouache color saturation. The main character has the Ash thing going on. He sort of reminds of the Northern Paladin from Magic the Gathering drawn by Douglas Schuler.

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/al/213.jpg[IMG]

The orcs and elven archers give me a a little hint of Quinton Hoover (Wrath of God)/ Alphonse Mucha Art Nouveau vibe.

The music/sound works as well. One of the songs reminded be of Pussy Liquor by Rob Zombie.[/QUOTE]

Yea. The apprentice totally has the Ash thing mixed with a little Charlie Sheen going on. Hell I even heard him say Winning at one point.

Ceebs

SapientWolf said:
I think they would need some type of randomness to pull of a long lasting co-op mode. Otherwise, it's kind of one and done. I'd rather see a versus mode where you purchase and send waves of Orcs at each other.
I think a Tetris like versus mode would be awesome for this game. Both players are on their own map and the higher combos you pull off sends more orcs against the other player. Add in the ability to purchase orc waves with your trap money and you have a pretty cool multiplayer mode.

cj_iwakura said:
Tecmo gon' sue somebody.

But seriously, looks fun, ESPECIALLY for Deception fans.
well the whole thing, even the trailer, is so kagero-deceptionish that it was a given..
pointless but tecmo can as well give a try, maybe something good will come out of it, like some renewed interest in the kagero deception ip..
with all its laggish and all, with all the cranky animations... I still loved my kagero deception 2&3 :p

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Japanese game design can't hold a candle to Orcs Must Die.

Graphically Japanese art (aesthetic) style can't hold a candle to Orcs Must Die.

Just kidding.

Amagon

Was really surprise that this game was actually fun when I tried the demo. Looked like crap at first but damn, shits addicting. Needs more love!

ElRenoRaven

Brimstone said:
Japanese game design can't hold a candle to Orcs Must Die.

Graphically Japanese art (aesthetic) style can't hold a candle to Orcs Must Die.

Just kidding.

Hell you actually understood what the hell he said? I couldn't understand a bit.

On another note I was reading on Robot's forums and interesting info. Retail will continue where demo leaves off. Your save carries over to the retail. Thought that damn interesting. Also it uses Steam Cloud for saving.

Oh also if you link your Steam account on thier site, when it's released it will import your stats to the site.

Duallusion

Only two pages? Six "dungeons" in and I'm loving this! I hope it doesn't go unnoticed because of all those AAA games being released in this time frame. :/

I still don't understand how scoring works. Where are the prerequisites to get five skulls in each level? Or do you just have to give it your best (score as much as possible and not let any orc through the rift) and hope it'll be enough? Sucks, if true.

Top Bottom