• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orcs Must Die! |OT| Traps have never been so fun!

Ruprit

cj_iwakura said:
Have they played the Deception games? Were they inspired by it?

I'm genuinely curious.

I asked one of the devs that question when I played it at PAXEast. They said they first heard of the Deception series when they first started showing the game publicly, not during initial design and development.

ElRenoRaven

Duallusion said:
Only two pages? Six "dungeons" in and I'm loving this! I hope it doesn't go unnoticed because of all those AAA games being released in this time frame. :/

I still don't understand how scoring works. Where are the prerequisites to get five skulls in each level? Or do you just have to give it your best (score as much as possible and not let any orc through the rift) and hope it'll be enough? Sucks, if true.

I think the lack of activity is because it's still not out on Steam yet. All we have is the demo.

Also the skulls are based on a couple of factors. Your time on the level, damage taken, amount of enemies allowed into Rift.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Duallusion said:
I still don't understand how scoring works. Where are the prerequisites to get five skulls in each level? Or do you just have to give it your best (score as much as possible and not let any orc through the rift) and hope it'll be enough? Sucks, if true.

From what I've gathered from playing, The 4 main skulls are awarded depending on if you kept the rift secure/didn't die. You lose some rift points when revived, which will instantly drop 1 of the skulls from "Rift points lost".

1 Skull is determined by if you beat the stage under par. (Which, from what I know, is never staged what "par" time is.)

Your score is then modified individually by things like combo count. I believe you get a higher chain multiplier if you kill or hit an enemy that was / is hit by a trap. Larger combo numbers are better, or course.

This is where the real beauty of trap design comes in; if you stagger your traps, you'll give time for various combos to occur, along with your own fighitng. The way to "perfect" this game would be to find out how to fastest kill the enemies, while maintaining a constant chain for the entire wave. 2nd most effective method, would just making the biggest combos you could, one after the other.

----------
A personal note:

I never expected the "Weaver" aspects that came in later, personally. And it was nice to see a mini-boss type monster turn up. I have to say the games scale grows SO much bigger than the demo hinted towards, that I actually think it'd be nice if the demo included a preview of some of the later stages... some of this stuff is incredibly overwhelming-looking at first glance, and I wouldn't have expected it, if not for having seen videos before release.

ElRenoRaven

SAB CA said:
From what I've gathered from playing, The 4 main skulls are awarded depending on if you kept the rift secure/didn't die. You lose some rift points when revived, which will instantly drop 1 of the skulls from "Rift points lost".

1 Skull is determined by if you beat the stage under par. (Which, from what I know, is never staged what "par" time is.)

Your score is then modified individually by things like combo count. I believe you get a higher chain multiplier if you kill or hit an enemy that was / is hit by a trap. Larger combo numbers are better, or course.

This is where the real beauty of trap design comes in; if you stagger your traps, you'll give time for various combos to occur, along with your own fighitng. The way to "perfect" this game would be to find out how to fastest kill the enemies, while maintaining a constant chain for the entire wave. 2nd most effective method, would just making the biggest combos you could, one after the other.

----------
A personal note:

I never expected the "Weaver" aspects that came in later, personally. And it was nice to see a mini-boss type monster turn up. I have to say the games scale grows SO much bigger than the demo hinted towards, that I actually think it'd be nice if the demo included a preview of some of the later stages... some of this stuff is incredibly overwhelming-looking at first glance, and I wouldn't have expected it, if not for having seen videos before release.

Yea. The demo really doesn't show how awesome the game is. To really see that you have to watch all the videos etc. That would be my only real fault for the demo. Course now knowing that your progress from the demo carries over it makes some sense.

Duallusion

Yeah, when I went back to it I figured the skull system by choosing "stats" at the end of the level. 4 skulls are for rewarded for not letting any(?) orcs through the rift/no revival, while the fifth one's rewarded if you've beaten the stage below par time (which is listed - but only after you've completed/failed the level, it seems).

I've also found out on official forums that nightmare difficulty - which unlocks when you beat the game on "normal" difficulty - doesn't allow to place traps in those "paused" moments before and mid-waves. Which I don't like the sound of, since those are my favorite moments in the game. Not to mention it's hectic enough as it is; I dread to think how stressed I'll be when those hardcore waves will start to roll in from all sides and I'll have no time at all to lay traps in peace.

Pre-ordered (with some help from wilflare :D). Can't wait 'til Wednesday! This along with Football Manager 2012 should be enough to keep me satisfied until Skyrim comes out.

Duallusion said:
I've also found out on official forums that nightmare difficulty - which unlocks when you beat the game on "normal" difficulty - doesn't allow to place traps in those "paused" moments before and mid-waves. Which I don't like the sound of, since those are my favorite moments in the game. Not to mention it's hectic enough as it is; I dread to think how stressed I'll be when those hardcore waves will start to roll in from all sides and I'll have no time at all to lay traps in peace.
Oooh, I like that. In say, PixelJunk Monsters, a lot of the time you knew which setup would do the trick, but how you got there was the tough part to figure out. Timing turrets and balancing your economy to keep orcs out while still keeping a combo going should be fun as hell.

2th

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
I think the lack of activity is because it's still not out on Steam yet. All we have is the demo.

Also the skulls are based on a couple of factors. Your time on the level, damage taken, amount of enemies allowed into Rift.

yeah i decided to wait and get it on steam even though i will more than likely break down and get it on XBLA too at some point... but come wednesday ill be updating the OP with stuff.. though dont expect me to make avatars and what not. I suck at that shit :(

ElRenoRaven

2th said:
yeah i decided to wait and get it on steam even though i will more than likely break down and get it on XBLA too at some point... but come wednesday ill be updating the OP with stuff.. though dont expect me to make avatars and what not. I suck at that shit :(

LOL. There are some OP's with avatars? That's a bit odd. And yea. I will probably someday when I've built up enough spare points pick up the live version too. I just decided though since it ran so good on the PC and I can redownload it anytime I want on another PC that this would be the version for me to get first.

wowzors

Im having a weird problem I think. On pc here, when i hit rb and lb on the xbox controller (playing with a xbox controller). It only switches between the 1 and 2 slots or the 3 and 4 slots.
So if i have weapon in slot 1 and traps in the rest, lb and rb will not switch anything. thye only switch if i hit keyboard 2, then the controllers rb and lb will select the slots (2-4 all traps).

Gaspode_T

Robot Entertainment is founded by founders of Ensemble Studios, and yet thread only gets 3 or 4 pages of replies...something is wrong here...maybe the Steam thread will bring the love, but at this point even Rock of Ages had more action here I think

Keio

For a Finer World
Xbox Live Arcade games really need more promotion. Hopefully the Metro UI will present them better, I was about to miss this until I opened this thread.

ElRenoRaven

wowzors said:
Im having a weird problem I think. On pc here, when i hit rb and lb on the xbox controller (playing with a xbox controller). It only switches between the 1 and 2 slots or the 3 and 4 slots.
So if i have weapon in slot 1 and traps in the rest, lb and rb will not switch anything. thye only switch if i hit keyboard 2, then the controllers rb and lb will select the slots (2-4 all traps).

Hit the y button. That switches between weapons and traps.

Then you can use LB and RB to pick the trap you want to set. Then you hit Y again and it goes back to your weapons. It's done like that so you don't accidentally set traps in the middle of switching weapons.

Gaspode_T said:
Robot Entertainment is founded by founders of Ensemble Studios, and yet thread only gets 3 or 4 pages of replies...something is wrong here...maybe the Steam thread will bring the love, but at this point even Rock of Ages had more action here I think

I think there are several reasons for this. First it's a small game. It's very much the equal of a good XBLA game hence the cheap price. Second it doesn't have any sort of multiplayer currently and that's what usually keeps an OT going. Third it's not out on PC yet till tomorrow so there really isn't much to talk about yet for us.

Keio said:
Xbox Live Arcade games really need more promotion. Hopefully the Metro UI will present them better, I was about to miss this until I opened this thread.

Yea MS tends to treat XBLA and Indie games like shit unless they're from a big developer and it's something big. It's really sad too because there are some great smaller games that get overlooked because nobody knows about them.

PsychoRaven said:
Nope. Tomrrow at noon Pacific time. Can't wait either. I wish they'd preload it.
They're messing with my mind. :(
It's on New Releases instead of Coming Soon and says "Released 11 October 2011".

ElRenoRaven

Marsipolami said:
They're messing with my mind. :(
It's on New Releases instead of Coming Soon and says "Released 11 October 2011".

Well Um wtf. It's now showing out and the preorder tag is now gone from my library and I can download.

Maybe they screwed up and are releasing it early. Downloading now will update and tell if it actually loads and plays.

So yea maybe it is releasing a day early.

ElRenoRaven

wilflare said:
was there any preorder specials?

Yup a costume. You can still get it if you hurry.

Receive the “Knight of the Order” costume when you purchase Orcs Must Die! Offer ends at 8am Pacific Time on October 12th.

*UPDATE* Odd. My download just restarted. I was almost done. Maybe they caught their mistake.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oh cool the full game picked up my progress from the demo so I don't need to redo those stages if I don't want to.

BiggNife

Has anyone had any problems with the Steam version? It refuses to launch for me and I have no idea why, the demo worked just fine.

Guess I'm going to redownload it and see if that works.

garath

No co-op :(

Pass for now. Need more tower defense co-op games. Dungeon defenders will be my next purchase in this genre.

Looks like fun when I hit a gaming dry spell in the future though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The quick look looks fantastic to me. Can already see places to make everything more efficient.

$15 is too high for me though, I'll be waiting for it to drop :)

BiggNife

Open Source said:
Compare and contrast with Sanctum and Dungeon Defenders, please.
I haven't played Dungeon Defenders, but I find OMD to be pretty substantially different than Sanctum. OMD has a considerably faster pace, and the weapons feel a lot more satisfying to me. OMD also has a better difficulty curve, starting off simple before getting into the more complex stuff.

Whereas Sanctum seemed designed for experienced TD players who wanted something a little different, OMD feels like a TD game designed for people who normally don't like TD. I usually find the TD genre pretty boring, but I find OMD to be really enjoyable due to the super fast pace.

Ceebs

BiggNife said:
Has anyone had any problems with the Steam version? It refuses to launch for me and I have no idea why, the demo worked just fine.

Guess I'm going to redownload it and see if that works.
Just tried this myself and it just never opens. Validating the files now to see if that works.

Edit: Validating solved it.

ElRenoRaven

So after a nice length of time with the Retail now I can say without a doubt this is surprise of the year for me. It's addictive as hell and just so fun. I like how it's simple too. It's arcadey and just fun for those of us who prefer something simple. Without a doubt I'd love to see some dlc or sequels to this gem.

2th

Banned
So just got to play a level on PC. First off i am hating how shitty the start up runs. Second the lack of keyboard customization really pisses me off. I dont use the standard WASD and i would like to be able to change my bindings. Please Robot fix this!

iumogg

Neo Member
I've had this since it's been out on xbla. It's excellent but man does it get hard. I'm in the last third of the game and it's kicking my ass. I think you need to get good at headshots to get the best scores.

Also I haven't really used the sword. Is it worth it?

ElRenoRaven

The Lamonster said:
I downloaded the demo a long time ago but haven't had the urge to ever try it until now. You guys are getting me pumped!

You should try it. I honestly saw the demo and had faintly heard about it. So the demo wins me over. Then the retail sealed it. Just don't go in expecting an epic storyline adventure.

It's a simple story that's kind of goofy. It's fun and the further you get the more hectic it gets. The demo's levels are the first 3 so they're very very easy and straight forward. As you go along the levels get more varied and the types of mobs start differing. Also you unlock more traps and can upgrade them. This then allows you to really change how you play earlier levels if you go back and play them.

For 15 bucks I got my money from the demo and already just from what I've played of retail I've gotten double.

Oh and your progress from the demo does carry over to retail. So that's a bonus.

Is this game more like Defense Grid or Monday Night Combat?

I like straight-up TD games and wasn't much a fan of Monday Night Combat.

The Lamonster said:
Is this game more like Defense Grid or Monday Night Combat?

I like straight-up TD games and wasn't much a fan of Monday Night Combat.
Neither. But, if I had to pick, it would be closer to MNC.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
iumogg said:
I've had this since it's been out on xbla. It's excellent but man does it get hard. I'm in the last third of the game and it's kicking my ass. I think you need to get good at headshots to get the best scores.

Also I haven't really used the sword. Is it worth it?

A good use for the sword is to hit the enemey with the element of choice / Bow Dizzy, and then whail away at them with the sword.

Or on some early waves, to stand near the front of the gate, and just swing away.

For me, it's very useful to alternate between magic uses and sword swings, to keep the magic up, and to kill things like the runners or anything that arrives in clumps.

It'd be very interesting to see what kind of trap layout the highest on the leaderboards have...

Top Bottom