• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OT | Dutch General Election 2017 | Exit Poll: Major underperformance for Wilders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is NPO not having any live feeds? They were re-airing Sundays with Lubach an hour ago.. maybe I'm missing something.

Yes, reports from voting centers, predictions, discussions,... not re-airing three day old shows.

I'll hang tight!

Ik hang spannend!
Nothing to report on. They can't talk about results or polls yet, so it would just be some people standing around saying: "well, people vote".

FeD.nL

One positive thing: Dionne Stax is getting some major screentime tonight -raises eyebrow-

Merel Westrik > Dionne Stax.

Just voted, going into this election I was certain I would vote VVD partly because of the way Rutte handled the difficult situations during the past years. But the past two weeks I found myself losing interest in the VVD and just go with D66 who align more with my personal views.

Aiii

So not worth it
What's the relevance of voting for a specific person within a party?

With enough votes even someone that is outside of the elected number of seats can get in. So the number 40 on a list of a party that gets 17 seats would then get a seat in the Tweede Kamer over the person that is at number 17 on the list.

Also, it's a way of supporting that specific person in general, because you like them individually.

What's the relevance of voting for a specific person within a party?
In Holland we vote for people. So if a specific person gets enough votes for a seat, they will get that, even if they are placed number 20 on the list and the party only got 5 seats or so.

This also explains why when someone leaves a party, they still get to stay in parliament, because we have chosen that person as a representative and not just the party they were part of.

And you can vote to show support for someone, so next time the party might place them higher on the list.

Seems a lot of people are voting. Too many ballots, so time to make some room for more ballots:

C6-BO0UW0AAkUdJ.jpg

Is Wilders the only member of the PVV? I'm fairly ignorant towards Dutch politics, but if it's similar to Ireland in that you vote people into a house of representatives, how can PVV gain multiple seats?

Kabouter

Is Wilders the only member of the PVV? I'm fairly ignorant towards Dutch politics, but if it's similar to Ireland in that you vote people into a house of representatives, how can PVV gain multiple seats?

He is the only member of his 'movement', and therefore the only one to have control over its platform and such. (it also makes him ineligible for public financing, which is why he needs American ultra-conservative movements to bankroll him). That said, he can have people represent his party in parliament, even if they aren't actually members of the party.

To make a political party, you need to be an organisation with at least 2 members. Well, the PVV gets around this by having Wilders as a member, and another organisation as the second member, which is also Wilders, but as another legal entity.

But... for voting people make a list. This one is separate from the organisation or party, so it can also include people who are not members of the party. Basically, it is an agreement between these people that if Wilders get more votes then needed to get him into parliament, the remaining votes will pass down the list until they run out.

Those people can actually do whatever they want when in parliament. They can split off, vote differently, etc. But if they do, of course Wilders won't want them on the list (which he decides) the next time.

He is the only member of his 'movement', and therefore the only one to have control over its platform and such. (it also makes him ineligible for public financing, which is why he needs American ultra-conservative movements to bankroll him). That said, he can have people represent his party in parliament, even if they aren't actually members of the party.

Ah ok. I had the Irish system in my head, once I looked up the ballot paper along with your explanation I understand. Thanks.

To make a political party, you need to be an organisation with at least 2 members. Well, the PVV gets around this by having Wilders as a member, and another organisation as the second member, which is also Wilders, but as another legal entity.

But... for voting people make a list. This one is separate from the organisation or party, so it can also include people who are not members of the party. Basically, it is an agreement between these people that if Wilders get more votes then needed to get him into parliament, the remaining votes will pass down the list until they run out.

Those people can actually do whatever they want when in parliament. They can split off, vote differently, etc. But if they do, of course Wilders won't want them on the list (which he decides) the next time.

Crazy. Thanks!

YourMaster

Crazy. Thanks!

The interesting thing is, that when he decides to retire in 4 years or gets killed the party disappears overnight, but with a clear desire still for there to be a populist party.

Not sure how reliable these are, but it would be nice to see new parties. Big win for PvdA since the latest polls.

The interesting thing is, that when he decides to retire in 4 years or gets killed the party disappears overnight, but with a clear desire still for there to be a populist party.

Not sure how reliable these are, but it would be nice to see new parties. Big win for PvdA since the latest polls.
Weird that people would actually vote for such a volatile "party".

Pakoe

Voted FvD, seeing allot of VVD voters around me. Parents went for VVD as well.
Hoping on a good result.

YourMaster

Weird that people would actually vote for such a volatile "party".

Not really. Having parties in the first place is already a necessary evil, and for this term he is there and you can vote for him.
And like I said, there's a massive desire for such a party and no other party comes close at the moment, so even if you dislike the party structure, it's not that you've got an alternative.

And finally is is the big 'fuck you' to the current parties. Personally, I want to say fuck you to the current parties as well, I'd hate it for Rutte fuck up so many times and become the biggest party again. I would like to see him decimated, but see no alternative who could then be a mayor party. I would love to see the PVV win this election with 70 seats, as a message to the current parties, then have Wilders not form a coalition, and have reelections were Wilder decides not to run. Because I would rather not see him actually in power. I will never actually vote for him.
For many other the message they want to sent is more important than the actual consequences of him having many seats.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Hello Dutch peoples, when are polls closing, how are things looking, when will results be out?

(I accidentally posted this over in "Deutsch-GAF" )

DoubleYou

Hello Dutch peoples, when are polls closing, how are things looking, when will results be out?

(I accidentally posted this over in "Deutsch-GAF" )

lol, you're not the first to make that mistake ;)

Polls close at 21:00. Which is around 2 hours and 15 minutes from now. I think final results at midnight-ish?

Not really. Having parties in the first place is already a necessary evil, and for this term he is there and you can vote for him.
And like I said, there's a massive desire for such a party and no other party comes close at the moment, so even if you dislike the party structure, it's not that you've got an alternative.

And finally is is the big 'fuck you' to the current parties. Personally, I want to say fuck you to the current parties as well, I'd hate it for Rutte fuck up so many times and become the biggest party again. I would like to see him decimated, but see no alternative who could then be a mayor party. I would love to see the PVV win this election with 70 seats, as a message to the current parties, then have Wilders not form a coalition, and have reelections were Wilder decides not to run. Because I would rather not see him actually in power. I will never actually vote for him.
For many other the message they want to sent is more important than the actual consequences of him having many seats.
I mean the thought of voting for a party with little to no security blanket doesn't sit with me and my personal politics. Obviously it would be different for me as a protest vote from myself would go left. I mean all parties could go bust in a day but voting for a one man party doesn't make sense to me. I see your standpoint though. Shame he seems like the popular protest vote considering he could be quite dangerous.

Yayate

Went and voted. It was my first time!

Since I'm moving to America soon, I wasn't as well informed as I should be, but the stemwijzer I took had me equal on both PvdA and SP, so I just voted for one of them.

As long as Wilders doesn't gain the lead, I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom