• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OT | Dutch General Election 2017 | Exit Poll: Major underperformance for Wilders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

Not really that weird. If your white and social security and healthcare are important to you, they have more in common than you would think.

In terms of campaign promises, yes. In terms of parliamentary voting record, no. PVV may talk left as the VVD loves to point out, but they vote even more right than the VVD. All you can count on the PVV for to do to your social safety net is to eviscerate it.

Regginator

I think I'm one of the few (or even the only one?) here on GAF that voted DENK. I hope they can get 4 seats, despite having polled 2/3 for months now.

As for the rest, hoping the best for GroenLinks, SP and D66. And the worst for PVV, jeej!

Kabouter

I think I'm one of the few (or even the only one?) here on GAF that voted DENK. I hope they can get 4 seats, they've been polled at 2/3 for months now.

As for the rest, hoping the best for GroenLinks, SP and D66. And the worst for PVV, jeej!

That seems like a pretty safe bet, yes.

HaloRose

Banned
where do i get result from or where can i get them when result start coming in? Anyway Come on green party :) oh i mean GroenLinks

Sioen

I think I'm one of the few (or even the only one?) here on GAF that voted DENK. I hope they can get 4 seats, despite having polled 2/3 for months now.

Let's hope you're one of few people who actually vote for a party like that.

Regginator

DENK is basically the opposite of PVV.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing?

But in all seriousness, I know what you're referring to. And I understand it's kinda populism as well, even though it's left wing. But I admire their fire and drive. For a small party like theirs (two seats), they seem to be on the forefront as much as the mid-size parties. A little bit of controversy to spark debate doesn't hurt anybody in my opinion.

Kabouter

Any particular reason? (besides the Erdogan stuff, I'm not Turkish so I couldn't care less) Seeing as it's a left-wing party and all.

I mean, the way they try to destroy the legitimacy of parliament, of the media, their putting pressure on mosques etc. etc.

Regginator

I mean, the way they try to destroy the legitimacy of parliament, of the media, their putting pressure on mosques etc. etc.

I agree with the second point, not a fan of their "trap er niet in" stuff, kinda awkward to be honest. But I don't think I understand your first point, how are they destroying the legitimacy of the parliament?

Also, as for your last point, that has been largely refuted. The Council of Moroccan Mosques in the Netherlands (have I translated that well?) already commented on the backlash DENK received and nuanced their comments, stating it was put out of context etc.

Het RMMN heeft vastgesteld dat in de media ten onrechte de indruk is gewekt dat leden en politici van Denk moskeebesturen en moskeebezoekers onder druk hebben gezet om voor Denk te kiezen.

...aren't they anti LGBT?
No, they aren't anti LGBT.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Heavy breathing.

‘YOUNG VOTERS GO FOR POPULISTS’: STUDY

It’s young voters who tend to vote for populist movements, writes POLITICO’s Florian Müller.

An above-average number of voters under the age of 35 declare support the Netherlands’ Geert Wilders, France’s Marine Le Pen or Germany’s Alternative for Germany, data by research institute Kantar suggests.

“The center parties do not promote the narratives and the sounds that are attractive for young voters”, Dutch pollster Tim de Beer told POLITICO. “So they move toward the extreme parties.”

The migration crisis is dominating election campaigns, which benefits those that campaign about questions of identity and the perceived migrant threat, such as Wilders. “Such topics are more salient among young people than among older people”, says De Beer.

But this doesn’t necessarily translate into more votes. Electoral participation among youngsters is generally much lower than among older people.

Watching this very closely from the US, quite curious how it all turns out. Had a chat with a developer from the Netherlands at a dinner at GDC and he was very casually dismissive of Wilders' chances, will be interesting to see how all the chips fall.

Regginator

I wonder why. When I think "PVV voter" I, maybe ignorantly, think of older people living in places that don't even have a lot of these immigrants/Muslims/etc. people to begin with, and that all they hear about these subgroups is on the news/media, which they disapprove or even irrationally fear.

But young people...

Yayate

No, they aren't anti LGBT.

Okay; so I can't say I'm the most informed about this, because I kinda expected myself to already be out of the country at this point. I genuinely haven't been able to keep up with Dutch news because I'm moving very soon.

I've heard accusations of DENK not being too supportive of LGBT rights, and that Kuzu apparently made some rather negative statements, along with not wanting to denounce homophobia properly.

I'm guessing these are false, then?

Sorry for the accusation, I should've probably done more research myself. (not that I would vote for them either way, since they don't appeal to me in general, but)

Watching this very closely from the US, quite curious how it all turns out. Had a chat with a developer from the Netherlands at a dinner at GDC and he was very casually dismissive of Wilders' chances, will be interesting to see how all the chips fall.

It's impossible for a single party to get the simple majority you need to rule alone. Wilders could very well become the biggest party, but no one wants to work with him, so he can't get the coalition he needs to rule.

Boem

Any particular reason? (besides the Erdogan stuff, I'm not Turkish so I couldn't care less) Seeing as it's a left-wing party and all.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing?

But in all seriousness, I know what you're referring to. And I understand it's kinda populism as well, even though it's left wing. But I admire their fire and drive. For a small party like theirs (two seats), they seem to be on the forefront as much as the mid-size parties. A little bit of controversy to spark debate doesn't hurt anybody in my opinion.

Well for one thing they have the gall to deny the Armenian genocide. That should make it a non-starter for pretty much everyone. I wouldn't call it 'a little bit of controversy', I'd call it absolutely idiotic, hurtful, dangerous and shameful.

They're not 'kinda' populist, they're just as populist as the PVV, and just as thoughtless. Preying on fear, hatred and division.

If you wanted to vote against the retoric and ideals of the PVV, Denk really was the wrong choice honestly.

It's impossible for a single party to get the simple majority you need to rule alone. Wilders could very well become the biggest party, but no one wants to work with him, so he can't get the coalition he needs to rule.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply some 'first past the post' system, just whether he would in any way feature in the required coalition for a government to form.

norinrad

I know someone who voted for FVD, I just shook my head. He was probably better off voting for the PVV, but then again what do I know, I voted for the pirate party after all. :p

Regginator

Okay; so I can't say I'm the most informed about this, because I kinda expected myself to already be out of the country at this point. I genuinely haven't been able to keep up with Dutch news because I'm moving very soon.

I've heard accusations of DENK not being too supportive of LGBT rights, and that Kuzu apparently made some rather negative statements, along with not wanting to denounce homophobia properly.

I'm guessing these are false, then?

Sorry for the accusation, I should've probably done more research myself. (not that I would vote for them either way, since they don't appeal to me in general, but).

I mean, DENK's raison d'être is that everyone in the Netherlands has to be treated equally, regardless of ethnicity, gender, religion, etc., so I'm sure that also includes LGBT.

Also, Kuzu (despite not really liking the guy) cancelled the NOS debate while calling Jan Roos a xenophobe and homophobe. So... yeah.

NewDust

In terms of campaign promises, yes. In terms of parliamentary voting record, no. PVV may talk left as the VVD loves to point out, but they vote even more right than the VVD. All you can count on the PVV for to do to your social safety net is to eviscerate it.

He at least I didn't vote for them. GL, myself. My father will disown me if he finds out. Though in his eyes it isn't as bad as my last vote (D66).

Steeven

I know someone who voted for FVD, I just shook my head. He was probably better off voting for the PVV, but then again what do I know, I voted for the pirate party after all. :p

Why? FvD has a better program because the PVV doesn't have one. Moreover voting for new parties is a risk but with that mindset things will never change. I voted PP in the past but to no avail. No regrets though.

Regginator

Well for one thing they have the gall to deny the Armenian genocide. That should make it a non-starter for pretty much everyone. I wouldn't call it 'a little bit of controversy', I'd call it absolutely idiotic, hurtful, dangerous and shameful.

They're not 'kinda' populist, they're just as populist as the PVV, and just as thoughtless. Preying on fear, hatred and division.

If you wanted to vote against the retoric and ideals of the PVV, Denk really was the wrong choice honestly.

I didn't vote DENK because I agree with all their points, not by a long shot. Some call it the "Turkenpartij/Turkish party" and coincidentally those are mostly points I disagree with, maybe because I'm not Turkish, like the pro-Erdogan stance and the denial of the Armenian genocide.

The main reason I voted for them was basically everything else, the idea that everyone is equal in this country. That someone who was born here, who went to school here, who works here and gets married here, can be seen as Dutch, despite not having a traditional Dutch sounding name or a pale skin.

spekkeh

Banned
Some observations. There was still a small line at 19:30. This makes me happy because I live in an urban hipster neighborhood that's ridiculously slanted towards D66/Groenlinks.

That humongous voting ballot was ludicrous. I wrestled to get it open and had to force it down the letterbox opening.

Harmen

I mean, DENK's raison d'être is that everyone in the Netherlands has to be treated equally, regardless of ethnicity, gender, religion, etc., so I'm sure that also includes LGBT.

Also, Kuzu (despite not really liking the guy) cancelled the NOS debate while calling Jan Roos a xenophobe and homophobe. So... yeah.

So how is Uzu supposed to defend the minorities in our nation if he does not even want to debate/counter with a racist politician? With the PVV, our tweede kamer will have plenty of those. He will have to prove he is capable of doing his job.

Furthermore, I think DENK has said some pretty questionable things and alternative facts is never, ever a good thing given these people have to steer our country.

Hrothgar

Some observations. There was still a small line at 19:30. This makes me happy because I live in an urban hipster neighborhood that's ridiculously slanted towards D66/Groenlinks.

That humongous voting ballot was ludicrous. I wrestled to get it open and had to force it down the letterbox opening.

Yeah, my god. When I thought I had folded it open, I had to fold it once more...

Boem

I didn't vote DENK because I agree with all their points, not by a long shot. Some call it the "Turkenpartij/Turkish party" and coincidentally those are mostly points I disagree with, maybe because I'm not Turkish, like the pro-Erdogan stance and the denial of the Armenian genocide.

The main reason I voted for them was basically everything else, the idea that everyone is equal in this country. That someone who was born here, who went to school here, who works here and gets married here, can be seen as Dutch, despite not having a traditional Dutch sounding name or a pale skin.

Sure, and most of the other parties also promote that, without any genocide denial involved. I'm not following your argument at all. Even as far as just equal rights go, Denk is far from the ideal party.

spekkeh

Banned

Think you should've gone with Art1kel if that's your angle, at least that way you don't import Erdogan, but okay.

Vote cast! The volunteers at polling station are having a good day because of the high turn-out.

I hope the results won't disappoint the rest of the world.

norinrad

Why? FvD has a better program because the PVV doesn't have one. Moreover voting for new parties is a risk but with that mindset things will never change. I voted PP in the past but to no avail. No regrets though.

It was a huge surprise as I was certain he'd vote PVV. Nothing wrong with voting for new or small parties.

Hrothgar

Think you should've gone with Art1kel if that's your angle, at least that way you don't import Erdogan, but okay.

Yeah. I mean it's the entire reason Sylvana quit DENK, because it was just the long arm of Erdogan. Still confused why she didn't figure that out from the start, but oh well.

Also, party programs are nice and all, but it's better to listen what the partymembers themselves actually say in public.

So around when in euro time do we start to get the results? Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.

It's interesting that people seem to worry about 4 party coalitions, such things have been normal in Finland for long ass time. Actually we currently have our own populist party in government and it's the smallest coalition in a while (3). Guess Netherlands just need to adapt.

Regginator

So how is Uzu supposed to defend the minorities in our nation if he does not even want to debate/counter with a racist politician? With the PVV, our tweede kamer will have plenty of those. He will have to prove he is capable of doing his job.

Furthermore, I think DENK has said some pretty questionable things and alternative facts is never, ever a good thing given these people have to steer our country.

The timing wasn't right. We've had the whole diplomatic crisis between our country and Turkey, the Turkish demonstrations in Rotterdam, rioting here and there, debates about "Dutch identity", etc. etc. You'd be pretty naive if you think Roos wouldn't have nagged Kuzu's head off by continuously hammer him on this off-topic subject, instead of what's more important, like education, healthcare, etc.

Politically, he could have lost more than what he could win if he went to debate Roos.

I'm pretty happy with the way people around me votes. After some doubts between Groenlinks and D66 I ended up with Kees Verhoeven from D66.

I tried to fold it open as little as I needed to cast my vote as I didn't want to fold it back in.

So around when in euro time do we start to get the results? Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.

Around 11 AM some indications and I think around 2 AM the definitive results.

Sounds more like the point Asscher was trying to make yesterday against Wilders.

JDB

Banned

The ballot was almost bigger than the booth itself. Really silly.

Hrothgar

The timing wasn't right. We've had the whole diplomatic crisis between our country and Turkey, the Turkish demonstrations in Rotterdam, rioting here and there, debates about "Dutch identity", etc. etc. You'd be pretty naive if you think Roos wouldn't have nagged Kuzu's head off by continuously hammer him on this off-topic subject, instead of what's more important, like education, healthcare, etc.

Politically, he could have lost more than what he could win if he went to debate Roos.

It's not off-topic. I would think it's very important if a Dutch representative is sympathetic to a foreign dictator.

YourMaster

I wonder why. When I think "PVV voter" I, maybe ignorantly, think of older people living in places that don't even have a lot of these immigrants/Muslims/etc. people to begin with, and that all they hear about these subgroups is on the news/media, which they disapprove or even irrationally fear.

But young people...

It is easy to dismiss him, but he addresses legitimate concerns that many people agree with. Many more than actually vote for him, because he is lacking solutions. This is not the US, where issues with migrants are mostly made up.
Large quantities of Muslims have entered the country, and there have been no successful attempts to integrate them. Many have kept horrible attitudes against women, gay people, jews and mostly non-muslims in general, have poor chances in the job market so they stay poor, flock to the same areas and are very heavily over represented in all the violent-crime statistics. They are on average also a lot younger than native Dutch people, so young people run into them much more often to experience this clash of cultures. The immigrant population is large enough, and the problems serious enough that there are probably hardly any dutch people who don't know anybody who's had some negative personal experiences.
Unfortunately a long time to not 'feed into racism' the traditional parties decided to simply ignore any issues and do nothing to try to integrate newcomers into society, prepare them for regular employment and stop ghetto-forming. Even during this election cycle on of the party leaders expressed that people are just convincing each other of problems where there are none.

This is not the way to go forward, ignoring problems does not make them go away. People should be offered a choice of either 'integrating the immigrants into society' or 'forcing the immigrants to comply'. Right now they have the choice between 'pretending nothing is wrong' or 'forcing the immigrants to comply', which to many people simply isn't a choice.
Old people are generally more pragmatic, will see that Wilders' option doesn't really help and decide to stick to their old parties. Young people are more idealistic and willing to give something a go.

norinrad

He should have showed up, that's what leaders do, nothing to do with strategy nor timing. The fact that he refused to criticize Erdogan nor his flag waving fans, shows his true colors. Was he afraid his house in Turkey would be sized?

At least I would have understood if you voted for Sylvana.

Regginator

Sure, and most of the other parties also promote that, without any genocide denial involved. I'm not following your argument at all. Even as far as just equal rights go, Denk is far from the ideal party.

True, which is why I had a selection of four parties with GroenLinks, DENK, SP and D66 being my top 4, but in the end I think the other three parties didn't have the "fire" that DENK has. Their Chamber Questions (Kamervragen?) have had much more spark and a little bit of controversy that I'm looking for.

CTLance

I just learned that you guys have drive through voting booths.
imagef5une.jpg
That's.... awesome?

Best of luck to all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom