• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OT | Dutch General Election 2017 | Exit Poll: Major underperformance for Wilders

Status
Not open for further replies.

SodaBeam

Neo Member
So this happened.

ZH8vjQQ.png

World record, here we come...! Hey, at least it'll stay in the Low Countries, right?

Trickster

Out of general curiosity I've been checking the polling data listed here on and off recently - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_Dutch_general_election,_2017

The main thing I noticed is that PVV has been dropping pretty significantly in a pretty short timespan. And I'm wondering what the reason for that is? I don't understand what would make so many people support Wilder one month, only for pretty much a third of them dropping their support in just over a month.

Alanae

Out of general curiosity I've been checking the polling data listed here on and off recently - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_Dutch_general_election,_2017

The main thing I noticed is that PVV has been dropping pretty significantly in a pretty short timespan. And I'm wondering what the reason for that is? I don't understand what would make so many people support Wilder one month, only for pretty much a third of them dropping their support in just over a month.
Because as the election nears closer they realize that actually electing him might not be much of a good idea.

Aiii

So not worth it
Very useful, thanks. Seems D66 aligns with my own ideas about tech security, with concrete policy examples. I guess I underestimated them there.

One of the main reasons I'm voting for D66 is their stances on this kind of stuff. They are one of the last, if not the last, true liberal party in The Netherlands, and their online privacy stances reflect that.

I am glad Tweakers did this article, this is one of the most important issues in both NL and the world right now, and it is often overlooked by the masses. Unfortunately Tweakers is preaching to the choir, but still good to share with friends and family.

Furoba

Best not to overestimate polls, results can go either way.

YourMaster

There are several reasons, but I think one of the main ones is that a significant part of the people considering voting for Wilders do so not because they think Wilder is so great, but that the traditional parties have been making a mess of things and they want 'not them'. Now during campaign season people are still effected by the messaging of the traditional parties that they aren't so bad, or realize that Wilders is not so hot himself either.

Loona

Maybe the news that Wilders' party is getting considerable foreign funding is making some people rethink the extent to which he may be a net benefit for the country?...

Scotch

It seems the drop started right around the time Trump was elected. But that may just be a coincidence.

Can we place bets on how many elections there will be before a coalition is formed? I'm gonna put my money on 3. (that includes this week)

So that was supposed to be the big clash. More stupid time limits. Please just clear the schedule for the evening and make a 3 hour program giving them room to debate instead of this.

Every election the debates are getting shorter and shorter. If I want to hear one liners, I'd follow politicians on Twitter or watch their campaign commercials. Debates are supposed to give additional depth so they can actually explain their policies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Debates are useless anyways, I stick with what I said earlier, I judge what the party's have done over the past years and base my choice on that. If they did half the stuff they claimed they would in debates, I would be happy, but alas. It is just a show for the sake of having a show.

It seems the drop started right around the time Trump was elected. But that may just be a coincidence.

It actually seems to have started in December, but yeah, my guess is that Trump isn't really the best brand for right-wing populism in Europe.

CrunchyB

So according to the latest poll...

NOS_Zetels.png

VVD is pulling away. Fine with me, better than the PVV of course. I'm a bit annoyed at the popularity of the CDA through, VVD+CDA is a terribly conservative combination.

VVD + CDA + D66 + GL should add up to 75+. A center-right government with two conservative parties, and two moderately progressive parties. It could be worse.

roytheone

VVD + CDA + D66 + GL should add up to 75+. A center-right government with two conservative parties, and two moderately progressive parties. It could be worse.

I wonder if this combination wouldn't be a bit too much right For GL to feel comfortable with. I guess they will have D66 as a potential ally in this coalition, but even them are way more towards the middle Then GL.

Antagon

I wonder if this combination wouldn't be a bit too much right For GL to feel comfortable with. I guess they will have D66 as a potential ally in this coalition, but even them are way more towards the middle Then GL.

D66 and GL have pretty similar ideas regarding things like climate, education and the EU. Hopefully that's enough to get GL in the coalition and a good start to a real green energy revolution.

Though that abysmal performance from Rutte regarding climate does not give me a lot of hope. I also expect that the combination of D66 and GL is too much for the VVD.

roytheone

D66 and GL have pretty similar ideas regarding things like climate, education and the EU. Hopefully that's enough to get GL in the coalition and a good start to a real green energy revolution.

Though that abysmal performance from Rutte regarding climate does not give me a lot of hope. I also expect that the combination of D66 and GL is too much for the VVD.

Well, VVD will need at least one left wing party if they keep their promise to not work with the PVV (and if they break that, D66 will certainly drop out and VVD has a different problem).

Some strange moments. Rutte, give in some with climate change and agree to act more. Buma, what the hell was that ending against Pechtold? Wilders, maybe go check some facts before saying Jesus doesn't exist in Islam.

Wouldn't be surprised if Segers with ChristenUnie was the best appearance tonight. Good guy to combat Wilders, I expect most others to just go in hard, while he just stayed calm.

Because as the election nears closer they realize that actually electing him might not be much of a good idea.

I hope so but i don't trust polls anymore. Maybe people just don't say they'll vote for him. Let us not make the same mistake as in the UK and in the USA. Let's vote!!! (you probably will anyway)

roytheone

Some strange moments. Rutte, give in some with climate change and agree to act more. Buma, what the hell was that ending against Pechtold? Wilders, maybe go check some facts before saying Jesus doesn't exist in Islam.

Wouldn't be surprised if Segers with ChristenUnie was the best appearance tonight. Good guy to combat Wilders, I expect most others to just go in hard, while he just stayed calm.

I disliked the format a lot. There were a lot of subjects where I wanted to hear other parties opinions about, but nope, it was 1 vs 1.

spekkeh

Banned

If this is what comes out of it then they don't have much of a choice. The only workable coalition to get PVV in is VVD, PVV, 50+ and SGP, and that's not enough. Unless CDA wants to do a massive heelturn, which I seriously doubt. I don't think VVD will get further left, nor can I see a ten party left wing coalition.

I hate CDA with a passion, but VVD-D66-GL (actually D66-GL-VVD) as a true liberal outfit is pretty much my dream coalition, so I'd be pretty much okay with this outcome.

I disliked the format a lot. There were a lot of subjects where I wanted to hear other parties opinions about, but nope, it was 1 vs 1.
I've given up on actual useful debates. I rather just have them take an hour for a subject and get some actual debates in. But at least it was better then the previous debates, which has even less time and more "say everything in 30 seconds please, we need to move on."

Aiii

So not worth it
I hate CDA with a passion, but VVD-D66-GL (actually D66-GL-VVD) as a true liberal outfit is pretty much my dream coalition, so I'd be pretty much okay with this outcome.

The only true option here, ideally many people will vote for D66 tomorrow and make them bigger than the VVD, but with the lack of options on the right that seems unlikely, I would prefer Pechtold to lead the cabinet, but I am fine with this combination as a whole. Maybe add the PvdD if they need another seat or two to break a tie.

Jesse Klaver annoys me though, but his party along with D66 should push some proper climate change in NL and the sooner we close those coal factories, the better.

Segers did surprisingly well against Wilders, something i couldn't say about Asscher.

Aiii

So not worth it
As bad as Asscher looked, the loser of te night was Buma.

For one he was scary as fuck with his full on "we will hand over all your privacy so you can be safe, kind people, we are doing this for you!" but to top it off he pulled that dumb shit in the final minute against Pechtold which made him look like a little kid in a playground argument.

Also his act of pretending to be proud that they literally got nothing done for four years was a dumb move, as well.

Just an awful performance all around.

CrunchyB

Buma, what the hell was that ending against Pechtold?

W4grJxR.gif

As bad as Asscher looked, the loser of te night was Buma.

For one he was scary as fuck with his full on "we will hand over all your privacy so you can be safe, kind people, we are doing this for you!" but to top it off he pulled that dumb shit in the final minute against Pechtold which made him look like a little kid in a playground argument.

Also his act of pretending to be proud that they literally got nothing done for four years was a dumb move, as well.

Just an awful performance all around.

W4grJxR.gif

mo60

It will be interesting to see if the PVV ends up in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th tommorrow in terms of seat counts.I think the VVD will win the most seats in the end.

Madness

Keep in mind in these polls, conservative voters are rarely as open as liberal ones. No this isn't Brexit or Trump but even if you look at elections in Israel and India. Hardliners and conservatives were underrepresented in polls and came out stronger when the polls actually happened. I think people just don't want to say they'll vote for Geert or his party as much as Rutte. But interesting to see that the polls have shown him dropping. I guess people want stablity and actual policy instead of bluster.

Keep in mind in these polls, conservative voters are rarely as open as liberal ones. No this isn't Brexit or Trump but even if you look at elections in Israel and India. Hardliners and conservatives were underrepresented in polls and came out stronger when the polls actually happened. I think people just don't want to say they'll vote for Geert or his party as much as Rutte. But interesting to see that the polls have shown him dropping. I guess people want stablity and actual policy instead of bluster.
I think this will be a lesser issue in Holland, where Wilders has been active for years already like this. And he drops every election compared to the polls. We'll see tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom