• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OT | Dutch General Election 2017 | Exit Poll: Major underperformance for Wilders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
W4grJxR.gif

W4grJxR.gif

Stuff of nightmares.

Theorry

Keep in mind in these polls, conservative voters are rarely as open as liberal ones. No this isn't Brexit or Trump but even if you look at elections in Israel and India. Hardliners and conservatives were underrepresented in polls and came out stronger when the polls actually happened. I think people just don't want to say they'll vote for Geert or his party as much as Rutte. But interesting to see that the polls have shown him dropping. I guess people want stablity and actual policy instead of bluster.

Jup alot of people dont want to say they will vote for Wilders. Because of the comments they probably get etc. Same happened with Trump indeed.

Arjen

Jup alot of people dont want to say they will vote for Wilders. Because of the comments they probably get etc. Same happened with Trump indeed.

Meh, I think those days are gone. People are pretty easy to admit voting Wilders nowadays.

So that was supposed to be the big clash. More stupid time limits. Please just clear the schedule for the evening and make a 3 hour program giving them room to debate instead of this.

Every election the debates are getting shorter and shorter. If I want to hear one liners, I'd follow politicians on Twitter or watch their campaign commercials. Debates are supposed to give additional depth so they can actually explain their policies.

The debate was indeed not long enough. They needed twice the time.

Hrothgar

Keep in mind in these polls, conservative voters are rarely as open as liberal ones. No this isn't Brexit or Trump but even if you look at elections in Israel and India. Hardliners and conservatives were underrepresented in polls and came out stronger when the polls actually happened. I think people just don't want to say they'll vote for Geert or his party as much as Rutte. But interesting to see that the polls have shown him dropping. I guess people want stablity and actual policy instead of bluster.

Wilders voters usually don't hide the fact that they vote for him, looking at the last 12+ years. There is no real shame in voting for him, after all he is an established figure.

So far he has always got less votes on election day than the polls predicted, and every election his numbers drop in the months running up to the election. The first is due to the fact that PVV voters seem to have a consistently lower turnout compared to other voters, the second seems to be due to people realising it might not be such a good idea to vote for him in the end, changing their mind as the choice becomes real and not just a potentiality. This election seems to be no different in that, but maybe PVV turnout will be better this time and he will get the amount of seats that the latest polls show.

Theorry

Very weird the Piratenpartij is not at the debate or even at some talkshows. Hope it party gets a seat. We need a party with know how about internet.

JDB

Banned
Very weird the Piratenpartij is not at the debate or even at some talkshows. Hope it party gets a seat. We need a party with know how about internet.
There's a bunch of parties at around 1 seat so it's no surprise they're not getting invited much.

mo60

Wilders won't benefit much from that shy voter effect. He's a well known politician and has been on the politcal scene for over a decade. His party also seems to drop in polls the closer it gets to an election usually.The one I think that will benefit from a small shy voter effect is Rutte since his party is gaining momentum at the moment.

Well Roos, Simons are getting invited at Pauw and Jinek and Piratenpartij not for some reason.

it's simple, despite having less seats in the polls, i think they're more known or people are more interested to hear them. like denk. 2 or 3 seats in polls, but they get a lot of tv coverage, primarily because they're so controversial. and simons, well, she's as controversial as it can get

Soph

Shameful display, guess we should be happy we won't get nailed at Pauw and Jinek. Outlook for a seat is looking at least positive, more than we could say 4 years ago. I rather have more.. but we need to start somewhere.

it's simple, despite having less seats in the polls, i think they're more known or people are more interested to hear them. like denk. 2 or 3 seats in polls, but they get a lot of tv coverage, primarily because they're so controversial. and simons, well, she's as controversial as it can get

Yes. We are not a populist party.. not a controversial one and not with a lot of racist backlash like Artikel 1. We're just a boring party with good ideas. Such a sad state of affairs.

How many votes did Piratenpartij get 4 years ago? 30.000 right?

Yes 30k.

CrunchyB

Well Roos, Simons are getting invited at Pauw and Jinek and Piratenpartij not for some reason.

It's because Roos and Simons have been on TV for years already and nobody in Hilversum is interested in the program of the Piratenpartij. They're being lazy, basically.

roytheone

Shameful display, guess we should be happy we won't get nailed at Pauw and Jinek. Outlook for a seat is looking at least positive, more than we could say 4 years ago. I rather have more.. but we need to start somewhere.

Yes. We are not a populist party.. not a controversial one and not with a lot of racist backlash like Artikel 1. We're just a boring party with good ideas. Such a sad state of affairs.

Yes 30k.

I wish you guys the best of luck today. While I am not voting on you guys, I wouldn't mind seeing you get a seat!

There's a bunch of parties at around 1 seat so it's no surprise they're not getting invited much.

It's strange. The Pirates have seats in the EU and Iceland, have a known platform by now, but just seem to get ignored everywhere. I get they can't invite everyone, but you'd think they would at least get a seat at the small debate table from RTL and NOS sometime. Only time it was really in the news was when Ancilla missed a interview in the morning at 3FM or something due to a planning oversight.

Also there was talk about there being almost no female politicians as party leaders. Well, maybe invite the ones there are then.

Guys quick question.

I'll be voting for 3 people and I am not well educated or informed on the matter and just to ask on the more experienced and informed Dutch people in here. Who should I vote for ? I don't wanna skip voting like some US people did which gave Trump the edge in the end. I'm thinking D66 from the little I gathered but unsure if that's the smart thing to do as I absolutely want to be sure to vote for the party that will benefit mostly vs PVV while at the same time voting for the right one.

This is also the reason why I usually don't vote for the smaller parties sadly :(.
If you see a dangerous party that gets a lot of tracking you wanna make sure you vote for the ones that can keep up with them the best. If my vote was the decisive factor for any party to lead, piratenpartij would be a great pick for me.
Due to the Dutch system, there is little worry that Wilders can get in power. Even if he becomes the largest, it would be with a maximum of 30 seats or so, which is 20% of the votes. You need a coalition of 50% to do something, and most parties won't work with him. So if you want to do a strategic vote, there is less reason for it here then for example in the US or UK. I'd just go with the one you want to vote for, so if you think the Pirates are a great pick, just do that.

If you really want to vote for the largest parties against Wilders, you got D66 and VVD. D66 is a bit more progressive, VVD more conservative. They are probably both needed for a coalition.

YourMaster

But no plan on how to actually get votes. And people notice this and from this can defer you're not a serious contender. And people don't like to vote on parties that won't get any seats.
I believe public broadcasting should spend more time on all parties out of principle, but beyond this the pirate party has given no reason to be invited. You're not even a new party deserving the benefit of the doubt. You're just one of several parties getting zero seats.

If in 4 years you want to change that you need to get somebody competent to run/organize your campaign, and even that will be an uphill battle after the way you've messed up the previous times. You need to come out kicking a campaign plan that will not only make you visible, but convince people that you'll convince lots of people to vote for you. You'll either need to hook somebody that will be able to get plenty of media time, or pull lots of stunts.

Rutte III: VVD - CDA - D66 - GroenLinks
A nice balance of left and right.

Voting GroenLinks myself.

Rutte II was a balance of left and right, but they seem to somehow pick the most unpopular points from either party. Your hypothetical Rutte III could have potential but these are also all parties with some strong opinions on their dumbest points so a coalition between these could also result in a program hated even by the people voting for these parties.

This will be my first time voting, and i'm really not sure who to vote for. I was pretty set on going for D66, but the Piratenpartij seems a pretty decent choice too. Guess i'll just see what i feel like when i get to the place tomorrow..

Antagon

I really enjoyed some of the election programming, like Pauw & Jinek.
Will there be live on-air results, and any way to stream it online?

Bth RTL and the NOS have live coverage I think. The NOS coverage will be streamed through NPO.nl, but this is blocked outside of the Netherlands so you will need to use some VPN.

norinrad

It's because Roos and Simons have been on TV for years already and nobody in Hilversum is interested in the program of the Piratenpartij. They're being lazy, basically.

Pretty much this and it pisses me off. I hope they get a seat or two, but in reality I think this is not happening. I just hope I'm wrong.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Pechtold came off really well last night. Just calm and collected.

I've still decided to go with GroenLinks myself this year seeing as they prioritize certain issues more than the other parties, but I think D66 is still a good choice for the country.

Ashes

Banned

Sounds like what happened in Brexit and the US. Polls on the day were plain just wrong.

hertog

I'm going to vote in about an hour on the PvdD. I was doubting between them and the d66, but climate is really my number one issue right now and the d66 it's focus lies too much on subjects I don't care about. So number 3 on the list of the pvdd it is, Lammert van Raan. But still wishing d66 all the best

Aiii

So not worth it
Come on good guys.*
* Please fill in good guys at your own personal discretion.

DICK ROSS is the best choice, and everyone knows it.

I mean, look at this guy:
Dick-Ross-298x234.jpg

Doesn't that look like the Prime Minister to you? Imagine Erdogan getting a call from PRIME MINISTER DICK ROSS OF THE NETHERLANDS. He'd back down in a second, "Roete? Who's Roete? What a goof!"

Not DICK ROSS, DICK ROSS is the only choice. I mean, he pre-tapes feet for the Nijmeegse Wandelvierdaagse, this psychical therapist is a man of the people. A man we deserve.

But what's most important is that he is immortal. Look at this photographic evidence from nearly two decades ago:
Flyer-20001-210x300.jpg

He DOES NOT age. He DOES NOT change. He tries to distract us by changing his glasses, but it's pretty clear, he is immortal.

You can find DICK ROSS at the last position (#50) of the D66 list, a vote for DICK ROSS is a vote for the future.

DICK ROSS' name is always capitalized. Also, his name is never spoken, always shouted out for emphasis.

It would be so cool if PVV underperformed and a party like Groen links or D66 overperformed.

Just because it would tamper the "RISE OF RIGHT NATIONALIST POPULISM" narrative and momentum that will be focused on by all western media. I want a little light of hope after the UK en US elections.

I expect the opposite however.

Dutch gaf, do your thing!

spekkeh

Banned
I have to say I've never seen so much flyering ever. Maybe the new Utrecht central station proves to be a popular new venue, but I've been pelted with the things for the past week. All the major parties have shoved them in my face, especially the left leaning and liberal ones. It's home base for them I guess, but I also think Brexit and Trump did a real number on the more apathetic centrists. Well all except PVV that is, I think they'd get curbstomped in the center of Utrecht.

I think flyers are kind of insulting, what are we communists that can be swayed with propaganda brochures? But I guess you need to have a presence more than expound your party points.

Antagon

It would be so cool if PVV underperformed and a party like Groen links or D66 overperformed.

Just because it would tamper the "RISE OF RIGHT NATIONALIST POPULISM" narrative and momentum that will be focused on by all western media. I want a little light of hope after the UK en US elections.

Believe me, we're doing our thing. And GL and D66 together should easily beat the PVV in votes. Plus I don't think anyone can imagine a cabinet without at least one of these parties right now.

Decided to cast an IT related vote; number 7 of D66, Kees Verhoeven. Climate, education and healthcare are important and also very well represented, so a bit of an extra boost to the IT sector wouldn't be too bad.

mo60

Yep. I agree. Also, technically this will likely end up as the second european election since trump's victory that tampered that narrative but the mainstream media didn't care about the first election that tampered that narrative.

Is it well known by Wilders voters that he is being bankrolled almost entirely or entirely by the USA hard right ? David Horowitz (trump / punched Spencer) etc?

Theorry

I probably gonna to vote VVD as a strategy vote against the PVV. Even i dont agree on everything with VVD. Never done that before.

Kabouter

Is it well known by Wilders voters that he is being bankrolled almost entirely or entirely by the USA hard right ? David Horowitz (trump / punched Spencer) etc?

They care about as much about that as people in other European countries care about their far right parties being bankrolled by the Kremlin.

spekkeh

Banned
I probably gonna to vote VVD as a strategy vote against the PVV. Even i dont agree on everything with VVD. Never done that before.
That doesn't really make sense, PVV can only get into a coalition with the VVD, all other options are ideologically not possible. Making either big just heightens the chance of a PVV coalition. Yeah if VVD becomes the biggest they might choose another direction than PVV, but you'd have to rely on people like Halbe Zijlstra to keep their promise pinky swear. And actually only Rutte ever said that he wouldn't be in a coalition with Wilders, so if he steps down it's free game for the VVD.

I think the only strategic vote would be to vote neither. Or better, D66, they're similar to VVD and would never get into a coalition with PVV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom