• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alx

Is there a good rundown somewhere? I'd be interested in seeing his platform. I don't mind French links

Well there's the official flyer on his site, but it's in French : https://storage.googleapis.com/en-marche-fr/COMMUNICATION/Programme-Emmanuel-Macron.pdf
I haven't found any detailed article in English.
Several of his propositions aren't really new, there's some rehash of older ideas (even some that didn't work when they were tried), others that don't seem very important, but as I said nothing really ground-breaking.
The main elements to me would be :
- reduction of civil servants (-120000) but increase in education (specifically for poorer areas and primary school) and police (specifically counter-terrorism)
- simplification of unemployment and retirement rights (same rights for everybody, whatever the job)
- better morals for elected representatives (no multiple titles, no nepotism,...)
- focus on gender equality
- more Europe : have a European finance minister, European defense, less fiscal shenanigans among EU countries, no soft Brexit

Coffinhal

It's soft neoliberalism. Nothing really new, most of his ideas are or were in think thanks from center left and center right...Where he picked his "experts". He also takes a lot of ideas from centrist across Europe, most recently the Spanish center right party.

Too bad he didn't propose anything big on democracy, besides things that were necessary on ethics in politics.

I could have voted for him on the second round if he was proposing substantial changes in our democratic system. It reminds us that only real left candidates are in favor of a true democracy, not a soft reformed parliamentary democracy.

He truly is the last hope of neoliberals to save their ass and get even more of their policies set up.

He's going to have to face big problems if he's elected : first have a true and solid majority in the National Assembly, and then be a legitimate President that won because he was the best and not the worst of all (that's why he needs to be ahead of Le Pen, if possible by a large margin in the first round ; then win 65/35 in the secound round and not 57/43).

Cabaratier

Neo Member
It's soft neoliberalism. Nothing really new, most of his ideas are or were in think thanks from center left and center right...Where he picked his "experts".

Too bad he didn't propose anything big on democracy, besides things that were necessary on ethics in politics.

I would have voted for him on the second round if he was proposing substantial changes in our democratic system. It reminds us that only real left candidates are in favor of a true democracy, not a soft reformed parliamentary democracy.

He truly is the last hope of neoliberals to save their ass and get even more of their policies in place.

Does this mean that you will not vote for him, if he were to face Le Pen in the second round? Is preventing a 'neoliberal' from winning more important than preventing Le Pen from winning? (no)

Ac30

Thanks guys, all looks decent except that drive for more prison spaces and more cops - we don't need another police state :/ Then again with the recent spate of attacks it's probably popular.

Love the pro-EU stuff doe.

Coffinhal

Does this mean that you will not vote for him, if he were to face Le Pen in the second round? Is preventing a 'neoliberal' from winning more important than preventing Le Pen from winning? (no)

I was expecting this question haha.

I believe I'll vote but won't pick any of them. I'm still undecided, even though I've known him and his ideas for five years now (when he was just an adviser of Hollande) and I've followed him and his supporters a few times in February for reports.

Don't worry, he'll have plenty of people to vote for him. The fear of Le Pen doesn't scare me. If it happens, it was meant to happen and then I'll campaign and vote against her in the législatives. You need more than soft neoliberalism to break the ethno-nationalist worldwild trend. If this doesn't happen today, it'll happen in 2022 because his platform is an account manager platform, and it makes sense because that's his ideology. I understand why he isn't that radical on democracy for example, his supporters wouldn't approve it.

Diamond

He will choose someone for PM if he becomes president but it won't be Sarkozy.Choosing sarkozy for french PM wouldn't fit the message he is trying to sell on nepotism and corruption.

Sure but I guess the idea is that Sarkozy would come back before the legislative election, win with LR and then Macron would be forced to pick the LR leader as prime minister. That's how it works.

Honestly I often say that FN would have a hard time winning the legislative election if Le Pen wins, but Macron will probably have the same kind of problem, because his party is very young. Alliances could happen, but it's a real possibility that we'll have a cohabitation, whoever wins the presidential.

Alx

There are worse things than cohabitation anyway, we've been there before and sometimes it actually worked well enough.
Anyway with a free particle like Macron and both PS and LR in disarray, plus a potential return of partial "proportionnelle", it will be time to have a new conception of the législatives.

Coffinhal

Sure but I guess the idea is that Sarkozy would come back before the legislative election, win with LR and then Macron would be forced to pick the LR leader as prime minister. That's how it works.

Honestly I often say that FN would have a hard time winning the legislative election if Le Pen wins, but Macron will probably have the same kind of problem, because his party is very young. Alliances could happen, but it's a real possibility that we'll have a cohabitation, whoever wins the presidential.

LR is going to be a mess after the first round, no matter what happens in the next couple of weeks. No way they can win anything and have a true campaign. Sarkozy is dead, only Juppé or someone younger could try to lead the way, but they are going to suffer and my guess is that LR is going to die and someone will try to build a new party to say that this era has ended.

About a coahabitation, he said he wanted to build alliances, but he'll want to have a majority of MEPs from En Marche! so he doesn't always make compromises.
My guess is that he won't have a majority and will have to make alliances with former PS, UDI and LR members that are going to be elected (so it's going to be mess), but not one of these groups will have enough members to outnumber En Marche! and have a majority. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a majority though, don't forget that the législatives are always in favour of the party that won thanks to the 1 month 1/2 gap between the two élections and the the fact that the fait majoritaire was strenghtened by this.

His PM could very well be Gérard Collomb (mayor of Lyon, Senator etc.) since he's experienced, has supported that agenda for years and has been one of his first true supporters. The PM needs to come from the majority and represents it, its Platform and identity.

G.O.O.

If he's elected I expect an unknown prime minister, quite possibly female. Or maybe Jean Pisani-Ferry, who wrote his program, was close to DSK and is an expert on EU politics.

Also Laurence Haim as minister of culture.
Not really, but damn

BKK

That doesn't mean anything really. It's kind of the cliché that you hear everyday or on BFMTV, or from right-wing/free-marketeers who find an easy argument here.

Also about polls, on the same page I posted that :

There's a good chunk of Mélenchon-Hamon 1st round voters that'd vote for Fillon in the 2nd, and even more from Macron. Pollsters are already getting Le Pen higher than what comes out of the poll first because of bias from "shy" voters as you say, although these bias are less and less present.

There's Nothing that shows that Le Pen could win over Fillon in the 2nd round.

C5cG7DLWQAI2INN.jpg:small

My concern was more that people who might say that they will vote against a candidate in the second round are less likely to actually bother when it means voting for someone that they really don't want to. It's difficult to accurately poll beyond binary choices.

Anyway, I think it's all moot as I don't see Fillon making the second round, so now I see Macron winning easily. If Juppé took his place it might have been interesting, I think he would have a better chance than Fillon.

Surely France must be the country with the biggest corruption scandals out of the G7? That's the impression that I always get at least. I guess maybe Italy might disagree.

mo60

Funniest thing is that that no mainstream politician can appeal to French working class voters. None can beat Le Pen .... what's going on?

These voters are not as important for most french politicians to attract on the presidential level since they don't make up a huge portion of the french electorate. Le Pen is not going to win the second round of the french presidential election by getting way more working class people to vote for her then her opponent.

When even Nadine Morano tells you to quit you know you've been too far.

It has to be a matter of time now, at least I hope so. Maybe we will be able to hear platform from all of the candidate....

mo60

AFP: #BREAKING French candidate Fillon's spokesman says quitting campaign

Yeah, Fillon is done.
Anyone that replaces him would probably be to tainted to actually get past the first round.He should have dropped out a few weeks ago.

Simplet

How funny would it be if the "political judges" ended up saving the right by moving so quickly?

I actually always thought it was the reason they did it, so Fillon could get the fuck out and be replaced in time for the election.

Alx

Kicking Le Pen out on the first round would be the ultimate twist of this crazy election. Please make it happen.

CCS

Banned
AFP: #BREAKING French candidate Fillon's spokesman says quitting campaign

Yeah, Fillon is done.

Just to clarify, the tweet is badly worded. The spokesman is quitting, not Fillon.

Just in case anyone reading is as confused as I was :p

Alx

Makes sense. But the Sunday rally can still give an illusion of support, some believe it will be the "manif pour tous part deux", since those are the last to stand behind Fillon (IE the small but very vocal group that opposed gay marriage and managed to organize large rallies of protestation)

Seeing all these guys from his inner circle getting out, I realize it's basically over for Fillon. I mean, how do you run a campaign when there's no one to even work on it? What's he going to do? Get Penelope to finally work and replace all these people?

So if Juppé jumps in... it might be Juppé/Macron.

@Taniel
French pollster just tested Juppé instead of Fillon. Result? The right goes from 19% to 27%—& *Le Pen no longer makes runoff,* falls to 3rd!

C6AxtGBXQAA4izm.jpg

What.

@Taniel
French campaign growing wild. Today: Le Pen (like Fillon) summoned by judges to face indictment—and on charges similar to Fillon's no less.

@Taniel
Le Pen faces allegations 23 parliamentary assistants had fictitious jobs. (Fillon faces same allegation about wife.) http://www.lefigaro.fr/elections/pr...s-l-affaire-des-assistants-parlementaires.php

lol, she doesn't want to show up until the election is over!

L'étau se resserre autour de Marine Le Pen. La candidate du Front national à l'élection présidentielle a été convoquée par les juges d'instruction, en vue d'une possible mise en examen, dans l'enquête sur les soupçons d'emplois fictifs d'assistants du FN au Parlement européen, mais elle a fait savoir qu'elle ne s'y rendrait pas. Selon l'une des sources, la candidate du Front national à la présidentielle a affirmé dans un courrier envoyé aux juges qu'elle ne répondrait pas à cette convocation avant la fin de la campagne, une information confirmée par son avocat Rodolphe Bosselut.

The ultimate craziness would be Juppé winning the election -- that is, someone who was actually convicted of fake jobs beating two people who are facing indictment for alleged fake jobs.

Ac30

The ultimate craziness would be Juppé winning the election -- that is, someone who was actually convicted of fake jobs beating two people who are facing indictment for alleged fake jobs.

If it's a Macron/Juppe run off I see Macron winning, if only because he's untainted (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom