• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| of Lips

Portalbox

Bad news and good news for the Lips crowd :p

Bad news:

It looks like the franchise is going the SingStar way. Looks like North America is starting to get the shaft as well: I Love The 80s will not be released in NA.

Good news:

All of April's DLC has been revealed, it features mostly (if not all) 80s songs. However, none of these songs appear in I Love The 80s.

Apr. 9

* Tears for Fears - "Mad World"
* Men Without Hats - "The Safety Dance"
* Tracey Ullman - "Breakaway"
* Cher - "I Found Someone"

Apr. 16

* Animotion - "Obsession"
* Dan Hartman - "I Can Dream About You"
* Modern English - "I Melt With You"
* Blondie - "Rapture"

Apr. 23

* Talking Heads - "Road To Nowhere"
* Donna Summer - "She Works Hard For The Money"
* Depeche Mode - "Strangelove"
* Peter Schilling - "Major Tom (Coming Home)"

Apr. 30

* LL Cool J - "Going Back To Cali"
* The Go-Go's - "Head Over Heels"
* The Go-Go's - "Our Lips Are Sealed"
* The Go-Go's - "We Got The Beat"
* The Go-Go's 3-pack

PopfulMail

Shit!!!

The good news is good.. there are some great tracks in that listing for sure... but shit man... the bad news can suck my ass.

It has been confirmed that the versions released will work on US systems though right?

Portalbox

PopfulMail said:
Shit!!!

The good news is good.. there are some great tracks in that listing for sure... but shit man... the bad news can suck my ass.

It has been confirmed that the versions released will work on US systems though right?

Yes, it it possible to import with no issues at all. All Lips games are region free. I have Canta en Español in its european package and it works with no issues at all.

Portalbox

Wait, wait, I didn't read the update notes at the official site carefully.

April is totally ‘80s for Lips fans.

Lips: I Love the ‘80s is available now throughout Europe and it is coming to Australia and New Zealand in May. Fans in the United States and Canada will have an expanded choice of ‘80s music Game Add-ons.

Hmm? Does this mean they will release some songs from the I Love The 80s tracklist? One can only hope.

Portalbox

Four additional songs were released today in Canada and the US only.
Video Killed The Radio Star
Whip It
Bette Davis Eyes
Super Freak

These are all songs from the I Love The 80s soundtrack.

Yup, that pretty much confirms it. It's going to be a DLC expansion in NA... for twice the price.

PopfulMail

Total pricing for the 80's as DLC is pretty boot... but I can dig that I won't have to buy the tracks I don't care for.... and I won't have to worry about disc swapping.

Still contemplating importing just for the Hell of it though.... because it would save some $ in the end.

komarkaze

I would not have bought the 80s disc if it came out in US, so picking the songs a la carte works out better for me.

I think it's a bit overkill to have all the April DLC be devoted to 80s music only. Where's mah 90s songs?

EvyLou

Neo Member
Just imported from Game as well. I think the total with shipping came to around $38. That's less than $1 per song - great deal, and probably cheaper than it would have retailed for in the US anyway. It's pretty cheap there now if anyone else is interested.

Portalbox

Additional DLC was released today as well (April 16 - Canada and US only)

* Tainted Love
* Celebration
* Mickey
* Centerfold

PopfulMail

Ordered my copy from Game as well. Not hip to paying double in points to get all the tracks I want. Will still buy all the extra 80's jams they release though.

Portalbox

PopfulMail said:
Ordered my copy from Game as well. Not hip to paying double in points to get all the tracks I want. Will still buy all the extra 80's jams they release though.

Eh, I'm just downloading it track by track, even though I had to create a foreign gamertag to download the additional DLC released this month (I'm from Mexico) ... I don't like to swap discs anyways.

Portalbox

May DLC!

May 7

* Miley Cyrus - 7 Things
* Miley Cyrus - Fly On The Wall
* Miley Cyrus - See You Again
* Miley Cyrus - The Climb
* Miley Cyrus - Bonus Pack [4 songs]
* Barrett Strong - Money (That's What I Want)
* Dazz Band - Let It Whip
* Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted

May 14

* Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody (Remix)
* Kenny Rogers - The Gambler
* Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't It Be Good
* LMFAO - La La La

May 21

* Keri Hilson - Energy
* Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait
* Third Eye Blind - How's It Going To Be
* Flight Of The Conchords - Ladies Of The World

May 28

* Elton John - Crocodile Rock
* Elton John - Your Song
* Elton John feat. Kiki Dee - Don't Go Breaking My Heart
* Elton John - 3-pack: Elton John
* Paramore - Misery Business (YES!)

PopfulMail

There's a few cuts in that new list that I'll be getting for sure. Hopefully they keep up on the release lists as it's nice to know whats coming down the pipes.

I wonder if they are still going to continue releasing the I <3 the 80's tracks for the regions that didn't get the disc though?

komarkaze

I'm down for Your Song and 3EB (assuming it won't be in Rock Band). It's Miley! but surprised there's no Party in the USA. Maybe they're holding on to that for the next disc release.

Portalbox

Additional DLC from the 80s disc was also released today (April 30):
-Let's Dance
-Come on Eileen
-Bad Reputation
-Don't You Want Me

woodypop

Portalbox said:
Additional DLC from the 80s disc was also released today (April 30):
-Let's Dance
-Come on Eileen
-Bad Reputation
-Don't You Want Me
What a pleasant surprise. Human League and Go-Go's on the same day make me a very happy camper!

Portalbox

June DLC (in no particular order)

Confirmed
Jr. Walker & the All-Stars - Shotgun
Mary Wells - My Guy
Martha and the Vandellas - Dancing in the Streets
Owl City - Fireflies
Coldplay - Lost!

Rumored
Boyzone - Picture of you
Charlene - I've Never Been to Me
Three Doors Down 3 pack - Here Without You / It's Not My Time / When I'm Gone

More TBA

Source

woodypop

Portalbox said:
Rumored
Boyzone - Picture of you
Charlene - I've Never Been to Me
Three Doors Down 3 pack - Here Without You / It's Not My Time / When I'm Gone
I hope that one's true. (guilty pleasure)

tmarques

I imported I Love The 80s - which strangely contains a couple of 70s songs - and every time I run it I have to wait an eternity while the game is "processing something or other". I don't remember what the exact message is, except it's followed by "Please Wait" and must take at least 3 minutes. Is anyone having a similar issue?

tmarques

BTW, I'm out of live points. Anyone knows a better/cheaper place than maximuscards.com that emails US codes? Amazon.com won't ship codes to my country.

Portalbox

tmarques said:
BTW, I'm out of live points. Anyone knows a better/cheaper place than maximuscards.com that emails US codes? Amazon.com won't ship codes to my country.

Why do you need US codes? The only US-exclusive DLC are the 80s songs.

tmarques said:
I imported I Love The 80s - which strangely contains a couple of 70s songs - and every time I run it I have to wait an eternity while the game is "processing something or other". I don't remember what the exact message is, except it's followed by "Please Wait" and must take at least 3 minutes. Is anyone having a similar issue?

You should try having all 4 discs and 2 players signed in... it's fucking torture! I can start up the gaem, select my saving device, put the kettle on, nip outside for a smoke, come back in and finish making a coffee and still have a min or 2 to wait while it's "Accessing Profile... Please Wait".

Other niggles include:

• Having all content from all discs showing. At least you can hide the music store, but it doesn't save your preference so you have to change the sorting every damn time you play the game. Also, does anyone know what "All + 08" means in the filtering options? Seems to be the same as "All" as far as I can see, and every disc has that option.
  • Auto Calibrate only seems to work on the first lips game. All the other discs just sits at the "Calibrating, please wait" and never produces any calibration tones. Stupid!
  • Disc swapping is still my biggest annoyance though. Seriously, I have the games installed. Why can't it ask me to insert each disc at startup to verify I have them and then just access the installed discs instead of having to swap out at the begining and end of each song... ARGH!!!

Despite all that, it's still fun. We just play what we want from one disc until we get fed up and stick another one in. Annoying to go through the profile processing/saving data thing every time, but dems da breaks.

Portalbox

June DLC is now up at the new official site!

Shotgun Jr. Walker & The All-Stars 6/4/2010
Dancing In The Street Martha and The Vandellas 6/4/2010
My Guy Mary Wells 6/4/2010
Fireflies Owl City 6/4/2010

Stuck With You Huey Lewis and The News 6/11/2010
Picture of You Boyzone 6/11/2010
Some Guys Have All The Luck Rod Stewart 6/11/2010
1, 2, 3, 4 The Plain White T's 6/11/2010

I've Never Been to Me Charlene 6/18/2010
Dirty Little Secret The All-American Rejects 6/18/2010
Meet Me on the Equinox Death Cab For Cutie 6/18/2010

Here Without You 3 Doors Down 6/25/2010
It's Not My Time 3 Doors Down 6/25/2010
When I'm Gone 3 Doors Down 6/25/2010
Song Pack: 3 Doors Down 3 Doors Down 6/25/2010
Lost! Coldplay 6/25/2010

Dirty Little Secret! Meet Me On The Equinox! It's Not My Time! Fireflies! Yay! At least one song that I want per week :)

toff74

I picked up the 80's disc on Saturday for £12 from CEX.. then got home only for the missus had call an impromptu party. YIPPEE!!!

Come 9 and the place was rocking.. All you haters, keep on hating. Lips really does bring the house down. We were playing for hours. The original Lips, No 1's and the 80 disc as well as the DLC?! Brilliant!

(please work on the loading times and disc swapping)

Came across an annoying problem this weekend, and thought I'd warn you guys.

Basicall, my GF and I have all 4 Lips discs, and have them installed. We tried to play "No.1 Hits" this weekend, and after the HUUUGE profile load time we found that we couldn't play. Everytime we pressed "A" on "Sing" it just made our avatars jump.

Ended up deleting all our saves, and we could finally go into "Sing" again. Thought that musta been it, one of our saves was corrupted, so we loaded up the other games again to get all the songs re-added, and as soon as we were done BAM, same problem again.

Apparently, the problem is "I <3 The 80's". Somehow it's broken the other games. The gist of the problem is, if you have more than one gamertag signed in, the games won't let you do squat.

The solution? Only sign one profile in. Once you're done, access "Sing" and once you have the songlist up THEN sign in the other profiles (cos you're already in the menu). It'll screw up by removing ALL your songs (DLC, Shop, everything) but a quick press of "X" to change the sorting from "All +08" to "My Music" fixes it and you're set to rock.

Hope this helps anyone who runs into this pretty major glitch - I say major as it ended up with me deleting me AND my GF's profiles so we're basically starting from scratch again. Leaderboard ratings are unaffected, but any medals, stars or trophies gained have been lost now and we're basically starting from scratch again :(

FIX THIS SHIT, IniS!... and also fix the disc swapping (I feel obligated to say this every time).

Portalbox

I don't think the problem is the 80s game.. I also have that glitch in my game but I don't even have that game... I only have the original, NOH and PC.

I think it was broken at the exact time the external drive update was made available in XBL... Maybe it has to do with it?

I don't think so, because as I said, I ended up deleting both our gamesaves (thinking they may be corrupted) and it worked again. Once I'd put all the discs back in and recreated the game save (so all the songs show up on any of the discs menus) that's when it all screwed up again.

Something's messing with the gamesave.

lolmark

I haven't bought any Lips DLC in awhile. Right now, I'm feeling a bit envious over the new Singstar Chart Hits. I need more Lady Gaga and La Roux!

woodypop

Portalbox said:
June DLC is now up at the new official site!
I've Never Been to Me Charlene 6/18/2010
Dirty Little Secret The All-American Rejects 6/18/2010
Meet Me on the Equinox Death Cab For Cutie 6/18/2010
Someone on the Xbox forum said that there aren't any videos for this week's DLC. Can anyone verify?

(I've Never Been to Me may never have had an official video, and Meet Me on the Equinox might have licensing issues since it's on the Twilight soundtrack, so those two kinda make sense.)

Portalbox

woodypop said:
Someone on the Xbox forum said that there aren't any videos for this week's DLC. Can anyone verify?

(I've Never Been to Me may never have had an official video, and Meet Me on the Equinox might have licensing issues since it's on the Twilight soundtrack, so those two kinda make sense.)

That would've been me :p. Yup, no music video for either of those songs.

Portalbox

July DLC:

Do You Love Me - The Contours 7/2/2010
Please Mr. Postman - The Marvelettes 7/2/2010
The Way You Do The Things You Do - The Temptations 7/2/2010
Photograph - Nickelback 7/2/2010

Blue Jean - David Bowie 7/9/2010
Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations 7/9/2010
Heat Wave - Martha & The Vandellas 7/9/2010
The Reason - Hoobastank 7/9/2010

Get Down on It - Kool & the Gang 7/16/2010
Locomotion - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark 7/16/2010
Back On The Chain Gang - The Pretenders 7/16/2010
One Week - Barenaked Ladies 7/16/2010

If I Could Turn Back Time - Cher 7/23/2010
Respectable - Mel & Kim 7/23/2010
Kingston Town - UB40 7/23/2010
If You're Not the One - Daniel Bedingfield 7/23/2010

Fire & Ice - Pat Benatar 7/30/2010
Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar 7/30/2010
We Belong - Pat Benatar 7/30/2010
3-pack: Pat Benatar
Whatcha Say - Jason Derülo 7/30/2010

PopfulMail

Thanks for the listing Portal.

Handful of jams in there I'll be picking up. Wish there was some more Bowie in the mix... but I'm just glad they are still releasing a variety of stuff.

Portalbox

PopfulMail said:
Thanks for the listing Portal.

Handful of jams in there I'll be picking up. Wish there was some more Bowie in the mix... but I'm just glad they are still releasing a variety of stuff.

I'm just a little mad at the fact that they think they're releasing "modern" songs by offering The Reason, Photograph and If You're Not The One but these have been available for a loooong while as part of the NOH Song Packs. :(

Edit: By the way, this month Lips will get its 600th song overall, kind of a milestone considering the slow rate of DLC.

PopfulMail

July 6th - 12th there's going to be a handful of Lips songs on sale for Live-a-palooza

Also.. a Lips avatar marketplace went up yesterday.

600 songs is pretty impressive. I'm actually surprised that they've supported the series this long... I just hope they continue to do so.

I'd actually be interested to see Lips work in some Kinect features down the road for the gestures and poses... but after no stateside release of 80's... I'm thinking the series may be done for.

SuperPac

PopfulMail said:
July 6th - 12th there's going to be a handful of Lips songs on sale for Live-a-palooza

600 songs is pretty impressive. I'm actually surprised that they've supported the series this long... I just hope they continue to do so.

I'd actually be interested to see Lips work in some Kinect features down the road for the gestures and poses... but after no stateside release of 80's... I'm thinking the series may be done for.

Hopefully they'll bring '80s out later. It was like a month between the release of #1 Hits and '80s in other countries right?

The thing I really don't like about the XBL interface is that scrolling through the store or looking at lists like this Live-apalooza thing is I don't remember which songs I've bought and which I haven't, or which content packs I've bought a few things from already. There's no like half-bought icon to tell me I've bought content from this or that pack, and that is friggin' annoying as hell - especially for music games which have more of these "packs." The in-game store interface is a pain to navigate, too.

PopfulMail

SuperPac said:
Hopefully they'll bring '80s out later. It was like a month between the release of #1 Hits and '80s in other countries right?

I don't see 80's releasing at this point since a handful of the tracks that were on the disc were released as DLC in the states already.

Portalbox

PopfulMail said:

I think it's just cause Lips has fared better in the UK. I don't have hard data to back up my claim, but I guess the market there is bigger for karaoke games.

I've noticed also that a lot songs sell at a faster rate now... look how fast the Miley Cyrus songs and Misery Business went up to more than 1000 rankings in the Leaderboards... that did not happen a lot in the past.

woodypop

Thanks for the update, Portal! Yeah, I bought a couple of those songs and saw them sans videos. How lame.

Portalbox said:
July DLC:

Blue Jean - David Bowie 7/9/2010

Back On The Chain Gang - The Pretenders 7/16/2010
One Week - Barenaked Ladies 7/16/2010

We Belong - Pat Benatar 7/30/2010
Looking forward to those this month. Locomotion from OMD? I wish they'd chosen a more popular song (Secret/So In Love/If You Leave/Dreaming/Forever Live and Die). I guess it's a start though.

Portalbox

Well, August's DLC list is up:

Available August 6, random singles:
Hard to Say I'm Sorry - Chicago
Replay - Iyaz

Available August 13, Andrew Lloyd Webber week:
Memory - Elaine Paige (from Cats)
All I Ask of You - Cliff Richard & Sarah Brightman (from The Phantom of the Opera)
Love Changes Everything - Michael Ball (from Aspects of Love)
Song Pack Andrew Lloyd Webber songs Vol. 1

Available August 20, random singles part 2:
Kiss From A Rose - Seal
Hold On - Wilson Phillips

Availble August 27, Huey Lewis super pack:
Working for a Living - Huey Lewis and the News
Hip to be Square - Huey Lewis and the News
If This Is It - Huey Lewis and the News
(The) Heart of Rock & Roll - Huey Lewis and the News
Song Pack Huey Lewis and the News Vol. 1 (Probably includes Do You Believe In Love and Stuck With You, as well as one of these new DLC songs)
Song Pack Huey Lewis and the News Vol. 2 (Probably includes the other 3 new songs)
Down - Jay Sean feat. Lil Wayne

Hmm... not sure what to think. I guess it's a nice approach, at least it's better than August 2009 (we had LESS than 2 songs per week on average).

EYEL1NER

Portalbox said:
Well, August's DLC list is up:

Available August 6, random singles:
Hard to Say I'm Sorry - Chicago
Replay - Iyaz

Available August 13, Andrew Lloyd Webber week:
Memory - Elaine Paige (from Cats)
All I Ask of You - Cliff Richard & Sarah Brightman (from The Phantom of the Opera)
Love Changes Everything - Michael Ball (from Aspects of Love)
Song Pack Andrew Lloyd Webber songs Vol. 1

Available August 20, random singles part 2:
Kiss From A Rose - Seal
Hold On - Wilson Phillips

Availble August 27, Huey Lewis super pack:
Working for a Living - Huey Lewis and the News
Hip to be Square - Huey Lewis and the News
If This Is It - Huey Lewis and the News
(The) Heart of Rock & Roll - Huey Lewis and the News
Song Pack Huey Lewis and the News Vol. 1 (Probably includes Do You Believe In Love and Stuck With You, as well as one of these new DLC songs)
Song Pack Huey Lewis and the News Vol. 2 (Probably includes the other 3 new songs)
Down - Jay Sean feat. Lil Wayne

Hmm... not sure what to think. I guess it's a nice approach, at least it's better than August 2009 (we had LESS than 2 songs per week on average).
The wife will probably want the Chicago song and maybe I'll get the Seal song, but what I want to know is what happened to the Jason Derulo song at the end of July? On Saturday I updated the Lips, PC, N1H, & IHt80s discs and didn't see that song in the list.

tirant

Bought Lips a couple of months ago: it's my first singing game ever. Me and my girlfriend like it a lot but there's still a lot of room for improvement:

- Lips Store is SLOW as hell.
- There's not enough songs in spanish and other languages (italian, french...)
- Lady Gaga songs are quite old, we need some new songs like Alejandro and Telephone!!

Top Bottom