• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| of Lips

parasight

Wow they weren't kidding when they said "Party Classics". The soundtrack lives up to the billing for sure. Number One Hits was a taste of more modern music, and Party Classics gives us the big karaoke tunes. I just wish they would adopt the Rock Band methodology for exportable songs, as opposed to disc-swapping.

scently

OldJadedGamer said:
I never knew there was an official thread for this. I bought my original copy of Lips for $40 bucks cause it came with the two wireless microphones and I needed them for Beatles Rock Band but I had a party a while back and decided to hook up lips and have people just try out Karaoke out.

This game was a huge... HUGE hit. People were getting drunk, all singing together and actually fighting over who got to sing next. I was really surprised... I actually had to kick people out at the end of the night and had one drunk girl keep screaming at me "ONE MORE SONG!!!". But, while I was in the other room, they drained my point accounts buying new songs :(

I'm looking for a cheap version of the #1 hits.
:lol :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
OldJadedGamer said:
I never knew there was an official thread for this. I bought my original copy of Lips for $40 bucks cause it came with the two wireless microphones and I needed them for Beatles Rock Band but I had a party a while back and decided to hook up lips and have people just try out Karaoke out.

This game was a huge... HUGE hit. People were getting drunk, all singing together and actually fighting over who got to sing next. I was really surprised... I actually had to kick people out at the end of the night and had one drunk girl keep screaming at me "ONE MORE SONG!!!". But, while I was in the other room, they drained my point accounts buying new songs :(

I'm looking for a cheap version of the #1 hits.
#1 Hits also has a refined Shuffle Mode from the original, which you may find useful.

You just hit Start on the song select screen, then you never need to use the controller again. The game will pick random song, after random song, and each time you can just shake the mic to get to the next screen. :D

Portalbox

By the way, for those of you who bought # 1 Hits: you can redeem additional coupon codes for the other 2 song packs available, just found out by buying one at Ebay :D

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Portalbox said:
By the way, for those of you who bought # 1 Hits: you can redeem additional coupon codes for the other 2 song packs available, just found out by buying one at Ebay :D
I've seem them on there and have been tempted.

Some guy is selling them for £10 each. I reckon it'd be cheaper to just buy 2 copies of the game, use the codes, then sell the games on.

Portalbox

Also, I was wondering if anyone here got Deutsche Partyknaller? Does it have a coupon code like the others? If so, what are the songs available from it?

I'm asking because Lips: Canta en Español features a unique coupon code for 5 additional songs in spanish, so maybe they could be similar in that sense.

Portalbox

Sorry for the double post. It appears some of february's DLC has been leaked:

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Song Pack (Available Feb. 5):
  • *Ain't No Mountain High Enough
  • *Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing
  • *You're All I Need To Get By

parasight

Portalbox said:
Sorry for the double post. It appears some of february's DLC has been leaked:

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Song Pack (Available Feb. 5):
  • *Ain't No Mountain High Enough
  • *Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing
  • *You're All I Need To Get By

I really love how Lips is consistent in its delivery of Motown. It's definitely my favorite genre to sing.

Portalbox

Again, I'm playing it safe here, take this with a grain of salt but here's the complete list of february & march DLC for Lips:

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - 05/02/2010
Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - 05/02/2010
You're All I Need To Get By - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - 05/02/2010
3-pack - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - 05/02/2010

Cherish - The Association - 12/02/2010
Love Stinks - J. Geils Band - 12/02/2010
Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground - 12/02/2010

High - James Blunt - 19/02/2010
Papparazzi - Lady Gaga - 19/02/2010
Spitting Games - Snow Patrol - 19/02/2010
Lips: Party Classics Song Medley - Various - 19/02/2010

Mr. Vain - Culture Beat - 26/02/2010
Free Bird - Lyrnyrd Skynryd - 26/02/2010
Hip Hop Hooray - Naughty By Nature - 26/02/2010

Brick House - Commodores - 05/03/2010
Easy - Commodores - 05/03/2010
Three times a lady - Commodores - 05/03/2010
3-pack: Commodores - Commodores - 05/03/2010

Breathless - The Corrs - 12/03/2010
Happy Hour - The Housemartins - 12/03/2010
(Only two songs this week?)

Sugar Sugar - The Archies - 19/03/2010
Do You Believe In Love - Huey Lewis & The News - 19/03/2010
If You Don't Know Me by Now - Simply Red - 19/03/2010

Come Away With Me - Norah Jones - 26/03/2010
Don't Know Why - Norah Jones - 26/03/2010
Sunrise - Norah Jones - 26/03/2010
3-pac: Norah Jones - Norah Jones - 26/03/2010

Uh, except for Paparazzi and Breathless, I'm kind of... surprised. I don't know most of the songs :(

woodypop

There's a few gems in there.
Portalbox said:
Cherish - The Association - 12/02/2010
Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground - 12/02/2010
Happy Hour - The Housemartins - 12/03/2010
The Housemartins! YAYYY! :)

Portalbox

Necrobump for the two people that care.

Some songs from Lips: I Love The 80s have been confirmed via Xbox Front.

The look of love - ABC (YT)
Shout - Tears for Fears (YT)
Come on Eileen - Dexys Midnight Runners (YT)
Relax - Frankie goes to Hollywood (YT)
Video killed the radio star - The Buggles (YT)
Blue Monday 88 - New Order (YT)

The game will include 40 songs as usual.

Portalbox said:
Necrobump for the two people that care.

Some songs from Lips: I Love The 80s have been confirmed via Xbox Front.

The look of love - ABC (YT)
Shout - Tears for Fears (YT)
Come on Eileen - Dexys Midnight Runners (YT)
Relax - Frankie goes to Hollywood (YT)
Video killed the radio star - The Buggles (YT)
Blue Monday 88 - New Order (YT)

The game will include 40 songs as usual.
Interesting. I'm not so hot on the rumored April release though.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
My Party Classics got sent. I should have it either tomorrow or Friday.

I'll see if there are any new features in there, like the Lips>No.1 Hits transition.

Portalbox

Anyone find it funny that most, if not all, info that we get in advance seems to come from random German sites, rather than the official site? They haven't even listed this month's DLC.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So Party Classics turned up today, I'll just copy and paste what I put on the Xbox.com forums for those interested in impressions:

Hi everyone, I got Party Classics today (out tomorrow here in the UK), so thought I'd let you know what it's like, and ask any questions if you want.

The UI/menu system is the exact same as No.1 Hits. There are no changes that I can see.

Unlike the move from Lips to No.1 Hits, all your Challenge history from No.1 Hits remains in Party Classics. Eg, if you got 10 challenge wins in No.1 Hits, you will have 10 challenge wins in Party Classics. Good if you still need the achievement and would like to mix it up a bit with songs from both discs.

There are 2 new Avatar Awards: What I assume is a biker jacket, which you obtain for getting a Big Bang and hitting all cymbals in YMCA. There's another item for getting a Big Bang and hitting all cymbals in I Think We're Alone Now. Not sure what that one is. :p

If you have already qualified for some of the new achievements, they will unlock once you sing one song.

I think that's basically it, anyway. Like I say, it is basically No.1 Hits with new songs.

Any questions, feel free. (Yes, it is still disc swap).

komarkaze

The free Party Classics medley was actually pretty fun. I wish Lips had medleys as that's the only thing I miss from the Karaoke Revolution series.

Looking through the achievement list, what is the performance recording mode? I have #1 Hits but never noticed that option before.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
komarkaze said:
The free Party Classics medley was actually pretty fun. I wish Lips had medleys as that's the only thing I miss from the Karaoke Revolution series.

Looking through the achievement list, what is the performance recording mode? I have #1 Hits but never noticed that option before.
When you have sung a song and it gives you your rating, if you hit Start, you can save your performance and then watch it back.

komarkaze

cjelly said:
When you have sung a song and it gives you your rating, if you hit Start, you can save your performance and then watch it back.

Ok thanks! Will have to try it out tonight.

On a sidenote, PC is coming out around the same time as Sonic/Sega/ASRacing and was wondering which one is worth buying first, based on your impressions since it appears you own both.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
komarkaze said:
Ok thanks! Will have to try it out tonight.

On a sidenote, PC is coming out around the same time as Sonic/Sega/ASRacing and was wondering which one is worth buying first, based on your impressions since it appears you own both.
It depends if you have any other Lips games and how desperate you are for new songs, since this is really just a track pack.

Portalbox

It seems the achievement list has been expanded yet again. Now there are 70 tasks worth 1750 points:

• Thrashin' '80s ('80s disc) 30
    Score points in all 40 Lips I the '80s songs
  • Rockin' '80s ('80s disc) 20
    Score points in 20 or more Lips I the '80s songs
  • Poppin' '80s ('80s disc) 20
    Score points in 10 or more Lips I the '80s songs
  • A Little Respect ('80s disc) 20
    Earn a Pitch medal in the song "A Little Respect"
  • Rhythm in The House! ('80s disc) 20
    Earn a Rhythm medal in the song "Our House"
  • You're Gold ('80s disc) 20
    Earn a Stability medal in the song "Gold"
  • Tech & Shout ('80s disc) 20
    Earn a Technique medal in the song "Shout"
  • Too Bold ('80s disc) 20
    Earn a Performance medal in the song "Too Shy"
  • It's a Celebration ('80s disc) 20
    Earn a Party medal in the song "Celebration"
  • Make Me Cry ('80s disc) 20
    Win in Vocal Fighters with a 4-point difference on the song "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me"
  • Relax Explosion ('80s disc) 20
    Earn a Big Bang rating in the song "Relax"
  • Power Of Love ('80s disc) 20
    Rank "Match Made in Heaven" in the Kiss minigame on the song "The Power of Love"

---

I guess this also confirms some more songs :p

So, now that I have it. Anyone have any clue why it takes so god damn long to "process profile data"? I swear I've been on this screen for more than 5 minutes.

Portalbox

The full songlist of Lips: I Love The 80s has been revealed today:

The Look Of Love - ABC
Forever Young - Alphaville
Cruel Summer - Bananarama
Dreaming - Blondie
Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles
You’re The Inspiration - Chicago
Don’t Leave Me This Way - Communards
Do You Really Want To Hurt Me? - Culture Club
Let’s Dance - David Bowie
Come On Eileen - Dexy’s Midnight Runners
Rio - Duran Duran
Whip It - Devo
Mirror In The Bathroom - English Beat
A Little Respect - Erasure
A Good Heart - Feargal Sharkey
Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
The Power Of Love - Huey Lewis And The News
Don’t You Want Me - Human League
Centerfold - J. Geils Band
Bad Reputation - Joan Jett
Too Shy - Kajagoogoo
Walking On Sunshine - Katrina & The Waves
Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
Kids In America - Kim Wilde
Celebration - Kool & The Gang
Our House - Madness
Blue Monday ’88 - New Order
The Riddle - Nik Kershaw
Love Is A Battlefield - Pat Benatar
Super Freak - Rick James
Alive And Kicking - Simple Minds
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Gold - Spandau Ballet
Shout - Tears for Fears
Boys Don’t Cry - The Cure
Roxanne - The Police
Don’t Get Me Wrong - The Pretenders
Mickey - Toni Basil
Vienna - Ultravox
Don’t Go - Yazoo

Good soundtrack IMO, the only "bad thing" is that a lot of songs are in other rhythm games already.

In any case, my favorites are Tainted Love, Kids in America and Bad Reputation. <3

woodypop

Wow, some good tracks. Notables (that I don't already have via Singstar or Rock Band):

The Look Of Love - ABC
Forever Young - Alphaville
Dreaming - Blondie
Don’t Leave Me This Way - Communards
Don’t You Want Me - Human League
Centerfold - J. Geils Band
Bad Reputation - Joan Jett
Too Shy - Kajagoogoo
Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
Love Is A Battlefield - Pat Benatar
Shout - Tears for Fears
Boys Don’t Cry - The Cure
Mickey - Toni Basil

Will get!!

Portalbox

Yet another necrobump :)

April 2 DLC:

Road to Nowhere - Talking Heads
She Works Hard for the Money - Donna Summer
Strangelove - Depeche Mode

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Can't believe I Love The 80's is out this coming Friday. I've barely had chance to touch Party Classics!

I think if they are going the Singstar model (which it looks like), they need to leave a couple of months between releases, or at least start releasing more genre-specific releases, rather than just compilations of various eras.

Portalbox

cjelly said:
Can't believe I Love The 80's is out this coming Friday. I've barely had chance to touch Party Classics!

I think if they are going the Singstar model (which it looks like), they need to leave a couple of months between releases, or at least start releasing more genre-specific releases, rather than just compilations of various eras.

I agree, it's been less than a month since the release of PC worldwide and they're already pumping this one out. Kinda weird if you ask me.

As a side-note, I had a HORRIBLE time finding Party Classics at my local stores, hopefully the 80s disc will have a better launch worldwide.

tmarques

Does I Love the 80s have a US release date? Or is the PAL release region-free?

Not a huge fan of the franchise, but... Bette Davis Eyes? Sold.

frontieruk

I have my copy

teNvJ.jpg
:D

frontieruk

quick note, disk swap is still here, seems a bit more seamless, but it's still intrusive, start-up is laggy as it registers all your content and that of the store (I think). Other than that it's lips

cjelly said:

It is? God damnit...

Portalbox

Bzzt! Wrong! Never have I been so wrong with Lips' DLC.

It appears today's DLC is the following:
Reach Out I'll Be There - The Four Tops
I Can't Help Myself - The Four Tops
Baby I Need Your Loving - The Four Tops
The Four Tops Song Pack

AND!

Straight Up - Paula Abdul (it was a song from the Party Hits song pack before)
Pop Muzik - M
Ordinary World - Duran Duran

PopfulMail

Nice releases today. I'll be getting everything but Paula since I got that with PH. If they keep releasing 80's jams as DLC.. that will hopefully hold me over until they announce the 80's disc for the states.

Also... "Drive" by The Cars is up today as well.

komarkaze

Ordinary World - one of my household's favorites in SingStar. Just in time for a party tonight!

Good to see that the bonus pack stuff will finally be released individually, though I already have Straight Up too.

Portalbox

Anyone else happy that they released more than 3/4 songs? If only they did this all weeks :D , then we could finally have a decent competitor for the SingStar series :p

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Portalbox said:
Anyone else happy that they released more than 3/4 songs? If only they did this all weeks :D , then we could finally have a decent competitor for the SingStar series :p
Well, hopefully now they have released one song from the No.1 Hits 5-pack DLCs, the floodgates will open and they'll release the other 14. :p

Portalbox

cjelly said:
Well, hopefully now they have released one song from the No.1 Hits 5-pack DLCs, the floodgates will open and they'll release the other 14. :p

It appears this month will be focused on 80s DLC, hopefully this means I Love The 80s will FINALLY get a release date in North America:

(From the Xbox Press site)

GAME ADD-ONS

Game Add-ons add fuel to your game fire by opening updates, upgrading game features and often employing added weapons to your gaming arsenal. Check out upcoming Game Add-ons that enhance three of your favorite titles, making your gaming experience that much more fun. Also, every Friday in April, “Lips” (Microsoft Game Studios) will release new 80s tracks. From crooning Donna Summer’s hit “She Works Hard for the Money” to rapping, “Going Back to Cali” as LL Cool Avatar, “Lips” (Microsoft Game Studios will rock your living room and your world.

I guess this also confirms that "the floodgates are now open" for the Song Pack songs :D

Top Bottom