• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
The butts are really good in this game.

I agree the backstory of the characters are amazing and come in different varieties.

Ambient80

Btw I heard a sort of argument between Pharah and Zen today. Zen commented on how it would be nice if human and Omnic could live together. Pharah said something about how she thought it was disgusting or awful that the two coexisted. Was sort of weird because if I'm not mistaken she wanted to be part of Overwatch who supported the coexistence of human and Omnic.

EDIT: Actually it may have been Zarya. That's much more in character for her. From far away I can get their voices mixed up.

Hey everyone,

Just curious what you all think is the best way going about learning a character. I'm at player level 9-ish on PS4 and didn't participate in the Beta.

The characters I like playing the most are D. Va and Mei. I also enjoy Lucio, Zenyatta, and Zarya at times.

So far, I usually switch characters to try to fill whatever role my team is missing, but the end result is that I'm not really familiar with any characters. I'd like to learn how to use Mei better, but she seems to contribute very little to the team.

I just don't feel like I'm contributing anything (except when I play Lucio). I'd like to learn how to play Hanzo, Widowmaker, and Symmetra one day.

tl;dr: Should you just pick one or two characters and stick with them even if it means a wonky team composition or just keep playing and switching and it will come to you eventually?

Just a little tip for D.Va that helped me become way more effective. D.Va is at her best when used for disruption on the objective. The shield, flying boost and detonate are all extremely effective at disruption and combined can completely change the tide of the game. The boost recharges fast so make sure you nudge people around with it as well as just use it for chasing or escape, it can really mess with some characters.

By far the greatest use of D.Va I've found so far though is using all three together. Aim it right and you can push them off of the objective while shielding yourself for the charge and then throw the detonating mech into a position that will force them to retreat even further. Just one kill with it and you can call another instantly and charge with shields up unleashing with the guns on arrival. You might die at this bit, but the amount of time and ground you just bought your team alone is very important.

It may sound pretty obvious, but the timing and placement on some maps can turn it into a move that 's doing more for your team in a single play than anyone else. Just remember D.Va is about pushing them back and as such, she's not good for all modes and maps.

i dunno how to zip around effectively. you need to be locked on to a teammate from a distance to use that right?

Nope, you just need to be pointed at a teammate. You'll zip to where they are at the moment, so if they are moving fast (or flying, etc.) you'll go to where they *were* when you hit the button.

Note that there's a setting for Mercy (in the Controls -> Hero Specific section) that makes the Guardian Angel (zipline) "prefer" whoever you're currently healing/buffing. While this can be super-useful (you can be pointed one way, and use it to zip backwards out of danger), I leave it the other way: I want to go to where the person I'm aiming at is, not where the person I'm healing has wandered off to. :)

LiK

Nope, you just need to be pointed at a teammate. You'll zip to where they are at the moment, so if they are moving fast (or flying, etc.) you'll go to where they *were* when you hit the button.

Note that there's a setting for Mercy (in the Controls -> Hero Specific section) that makes the Guardian Angel (zipline) "prefer" whoever you're currently healing/buffing. While this can be super-useful (you can be pointed one way, and use it to zip backwards out of danger), I leave it the other way: I want to go to where the person I'm aiming at is, not where the person I'm healing has wandered off to. :)

ah ok. thanks. didn't know it was that versatile.

ah ok. thanks. didn't know it was that versatile.

No problem. Once you get the hang of it, you can really pinball between teammates: there's a cooldown, but it's pretty quick. You also learn to rely on it, and figure out ways to leverage the speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O1VoUgzBl8

Here, I bait the Roadkill with a few pistol shots, and hide around a corner. I *know* he's going to come around and try to hook me (Mercy is too juicy a target), and so I start pointing at a teammate, and zip past him as he tries to hook.

Then the team takes him down, since he's out in the open. :)

Pics_nao

Anyone know if they ever fixed the huge lagging issue some people had? Trying to get my friend to get the game but he had awful lagging during the beta and refuses to get it unless it's been fixed.

Moonkeis

I'm really enjoying Lucio, it's a good break from Mercy. Being able to help the pace of your team and still do a good amount of damage, it really does remind of Bard in FFXI. :D

Cynn

Yup got my favorite skin color for Mercy and got the Gundam Skins for Pharah.

Well yes, I honestly hate the loot boxes are randomized instead of favoring your most played characters.

So instead of just grinding and hoping for a small chance of actually getting something I want, I said F--- it. Not bragging or anything but with all the overtime pay I get, it's not that big of a hit.

Seems like it would be better if you could at least buy currency and then CHOOSE what you want to unlock as opposed to buying lotto tickets with loot boxes.

ramyeon

I'm really enjoying Lucio, it's a good break from Mercy. Being able to help the pace of your team and still do a good amount of damage, it really does remind of Bard in FFXI. :D
Lucio was such a dark horse for me. Had no interest in him at all but once I started playing him I couldn't go back, so much fun and you feel like you can actually contribute a lot in a bunch of different ways.

Zomba13

Seems like it would be better if you could at least buy currency and then CHOOSE what you want to unlock as opposed to buying lotto tickets with loot boxes.

Then you wouldn't have people paying $100 or more on top of the price of the game. It's no wonder every game is doing the gambling route now.

Drewfonse

Lucio was such a dark horse for me. Had no interest in him at all but once I started playing him I couldn't go back, so much fun and you feel like you can actually contribute a lot in a bunch of different ways.

Aaaaaand my other favorite character. Game changer.

Xeteh

I love being a pest with D.Va. My aim kind of sucks so Tracer isn't a great option but hitting D.Va's thrusters and getting behind to drop Widowmaker or a healer feels great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom