• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
my friend mentioned that he saw that someone datamined the game and they said that the more you play as a certain character, the less likely you are to get items for that character in a loot box. Does anyone know if that is actually true. If so, wtf Blizzard

I"m sure it's been said a dozen times, but Zenyatta is probably the weakest hero right now. It doesn't matter if he can debuff people and can kill heroes in 3 shots. His attacks aren't hitscan, so chances are he'll be killed first anyway, and he has to put himself at risk to attack or use Orb of Discord while being the easiest character to kill. On top of not having the healing impact of Mercy and Lucio. And when it comes down to it, you want a healer who's alive.
He could use a buff for sure but I don't think he's the weakest. He's great against tanks right now but he's a bit too squishy given the nerf they gave his discord orb. He's very situational so I guess people will argue that he's fine as is or to buff him a little so that he's a bit more viable overall. I think a buff to his health to around 175-200 would be good.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Got this team wipe POTG a couple hours ago with Junkrat. The quality isn't as good as I had hoped even though the source was fine... but it's the best play I've been involved in.
Read the description for some more info; I'm going to bed. ;)

https://youtu.be/PwDd5fxTQmo

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
my friend mentioned that he saw that someone datamined the game and they said that the more you play as a certain character, the less likely you are to get items for that character in a loot box. Does anyone know if that is actually true. If so, wtf Blizzard

I mean that's what it seems like, but there're a lot of characters so I could be paranoid.

Got this team wipe POTG a couple hours ago with Junkrat. The quality isn't as good as I had hoped even though the source was fine... but it's the best play I've been involved in.
Read the description for some more info; I'm going to bed. ;)

https://youtu.be/PwDd5fxTQmo

Hahaha, perfect.

Does this friend of yours happen to have an uncle that works at Blizzard?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I hate that people don't just shoot the damn thing. A S76 or junkrat can break it pretty fast, to say nothing of Bastion.

Winston and symmetra can shoot through it directly as well.
As d.va I usually use my front shield, charge into him and start shooting as soon as I hit him. Usually it disperses the enemies behind him and I can knock out his shield.

Now if only random teammates would kill him then :/

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mei is Blizzard making a strong design statement that you could push the Pyro wayyyy harder than Valve ever did in terms of balance and still have a beatable character. (Just like Torbjorn is Blizzard making the design statement that TF2 Engineers are bullshit and always have been.)

Pyro puts out way more damage than Mei. You can't exactly throw Mei into a group of enemies and cause havoc like you can with pyro.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the POTG algorithm needs tweaking or they need to add cooperative POTGs. the number of times that i got a CLUTCH black hole as zarya only for the trashy tracer stan on my team to make her only meaningful contribution to the game objective by dropping a bomb on their prone-ass team and getting POTG for it is jusT.

zonezeus

I"m sure it's been said a dozen times, but Zenyatta is probably the weakest hero right now. It doesn't matter if he can debuff people and can kill heroes in 3 shots. His attacks aren't hitscan, so chances are he'll be killed first anyway, and he has to put himself at risk to attack or use Orb of Discord while being the easiest character to kill. On top of not having the healing impact of Mercy and Lucio. And when it comes down to it, you want a healer who's alive.

I love Zenyatta and he is my most played character, but he seriously needs some rethinking. I get it he's supposed to be a glass cannon and that his offense is meant to be his best defense, but some kind of survivability boost should be considered. One of the coolest ideas I've seen is that Discord orb could transfer some part of damage done as health, either to Zenyatta or to someone with a Harmony orb.

Bishop89

I just want to say, I am able to use every single hero very efficiently EXCEPT mercy..

She is just useless in my hands. Her lack of offensive capabilities is probably what im having such a hard time with.

Her laser pistol thing is piss weak and I feel like me healing my teammates just leaves me prone to getting hit and dying, and doesn't seem like its worth it. I think the other healers are much much better.

cametall

If true, it could be a way to get you to play other characters. I was actually thinking about this last night when I unlocked D.Va's junker skin. Haven't played her much at all and have unlocked no skins for anyone but D.Va and Rein, both who I haven't played much of.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Getting pretty much nothing but sprays and voices in my lootboxes. I finally got my Terran player icon back, though, so all is right.

It's super dumb that player icons are the only thing you can't buy with currency. I've gotten a bunch from boxes but not the specific one I want.

Pyro puts out way more damage than Mei. You can't exactly throw Mei into a group of enemies and cause havoc like you can with pyro.

Yeah, her blasts are pretty much exclusive to one person, and after holding them down for a few seconds you then need to line up a headshot. A good Pyro can flank and kill people within seconds, with the air blast to defend, the flare/shotgun to finish off, and a unique fire element that causes people to panic because it does damage.

the POTG algorithm needs tweaking or they need to add cooperative POTGs. the number of times that i got a CLUTCH black hole as zarya only for the trashy tracer stan on my team to make her only meaningful contribution to the game objective by dropping a bomb on their prone-ass team and getting POTG for it is jusT.

I don't see how they could change the algorithm such that the game understands the motives behind your actions. Frankly, I don't think I would want to see where that would lead.

I just want to say, I am able to use every single hero very efficiently EXCEPT mercy..

She is just useless in my hands. Her lack of offensive capabilities is probably what im having such a hard time with.

Her laser pistol thing is piss weak and I feel like me healing my teammates just leaves me prone to getting hit and dying, and doesn't seem like its worth it. I think the other healers are much much better.

Hold the button down and aim for the head. The pistol is stronger than you think.

Vestal

Couldn't disagree more. Playing zenyatta is knowing were to play and picking your spots. I have single handedly turned the course of a game by switching to him. He particularly excels on defensive situations were forward movement is limited and you can pick your spots and your line of sight to hit discord, get kills and heal people out.

My last game with him I had 5k healing 8k damage 18 kills and a total of 2k transcendence healing.

Gurrry

Im watching that tournament on twitch now. They have the player icons on the top saying how close each are to their ultimate (a feature I REALLY want in regular games), is this only for spectator mode??

I really hope they add this to the regular game. I think it would be awesome to know if you or your team mates have their ulti or not.

https://www.twitch.tv/taketv

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes, it should recognize "team kills". I mean the game already does so the POTG should be expanded to show off tag teams.

I was in a game where Reinhardt stunned 3 people with his ult while I, as Genji, ran into the fray with RYUJIN NO KEN WO KURAE and sliced all of them up. Guess who got the play?

I'd like a split screen side-by-side showcase so you can see the combo from both ends.

OVDRobo

Unashamedly going to admit here that if I make it into the commendations board and no one else votes for me, I always give myself a pat on the back if I think I deserved it.

Stops the salt from flowing if I feel I've been doing really well but no one else wants to recognise it.

I just had to do it with 39 eliminations as Pharah and most of the match on fire, though I will admit our Zenyatta was really good and I still think healers and tanks deserve them more than attackers just because most people don't want to play that role for some reason.

As for the POTG stuff, it does seem to have some level of logic rather than just 'highest kill streak'. I managed to make POTG as D.Va by finishing off a Reaper (7 damage lol) then headbutting a Winston and Roadhog off the side of the map in Ilios which was pretty damn sweet.

tumblr_o72eebDxGe1r5mu8do1_500.gif

Im watching that tournament on twitch now. They have the player icons on the top saying how close each are to their ultimate (a feature I REALLY want in regular games), is this only for spectator mode??

I really hope they add this to the regular game. I think it would be awesome to know if you or your team mates have their ulti or not.

https://www.twitch.tv/taketv

If you look at the overlay screen where you can see who's on your team and the enemy team, you can see a check mark under their portraits which indicates they have their ultimate ready.

Mutombo

I actually got a compliment from a random, saying I was really good. I got a few POTG's as Symmetry; which basically means I don't have to aim and just walk around placing turrets, and I switched between Pharah and Winston as well.

I like that being good in this game basically means playing smart. Because i expect my aim on ps4 will always be terrible, it's a matter of countering play styles of the opposing team and a more tactical approach to choosing characters and the general 'doing of stuff'.

PS4 EU Gaffers much?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably the most frustrating video game I ever played (especially on the last checkpoint were the defense respawns right on it). But for some reason I can't stop playing it.

Gurrry

If you look at the overlay screen where you can see who's on your team and the enemy team, you can see a check mark under their portraits which indicates they have their ultimate ready.

Oh shit I didnt even know that. Thats awesome! I wish it were on the screen at all times though, or atleast an option to turn that on. It would really help me personally with strategy.

Do you happen to know what that little orange lightning bolt with the circular arrow on it is? It appears in the top left screen randomly all the time for me.

Jesus Christ, was on a winning streak with a random team plus a friend and Blizz sent us to the main menu and got us against a team with one lvl 40, one lvl 39 and one lvl 38 while we were lvl 19, in the second round of a losing team with the point already being captured by the opposing team. Great stuff.

Robohasi

Neo Member
Anybody know of a good way to find people to play with? I'm really liking the game but on console nobody is on voice chat and I'm imagining it's a lot more fun if you're playing coordinated.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
welp my win streak lastd 3 games ;_; 3-2 now
dat 50/50

weemaster

My friend who lives in Jordan wants to play the game with me (he has a PS4). But every time he plays Overwatch he has constant lag for some reason. This thing doesn't happen to any other game (we played uncharted 4, driveclub, dota etc. together and no issues).

So is there a reason for this? Can it be fixed?

If anyone here lives in that area can help out it would be appreciated.

Guys?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yes, it should recognize "team kills". I mean the game already does so the POTG should be expanded to show off tag teams.

I was in a game where Reinhardt stunned 3 people with his ult while I, as Genji, ran into the fray with RYUJIN NO KEN WO KURAE and sliced all of them up. Guess who got the play?

I'd like a split screen side-by-side showcase so you can see the combo from both ends.

Yeah that would be nice. One of the free updates could be new duo POTG intros for every heroes, with splitscreen afterwards, so that when a good combo of ults like this can be properly displayed and recognized to everybody

Dreavus

Zenyatta is great when the other team isn't actively hunting him down. I feel pretty helpless when a sniper or flanker is making it his mission to kill me.

Annubis

As d.va I usually use my front shield, charge into him and start shooting as soon as I hit him. Usually it disperses the enemies behind him and I can knock out his shield.

Now if only random teammates would kill him then :/

I find that the best way to disrupt the other team hiding behind the shield is to charge him and keep going pushing him waaaaaaaaay behind his entire team.
Then, I have to assume my team will come in to kill them while they all focus me... which up to now has never happened =(

Bishop89

Hold the button down and aim for the head. The pistol is stronger than you think.

I'll give it another whirl.

Unashamedly going to admit here that if I make it into the commendations board and no one else votes for me, I always give myself a pat on the back if I think I deserved it.

Stops the salt from flowing if I feel I've been doing really well but no one else wants to recognise it.

its funny, if there is only one person on your team that makes it to the commendation board, pretty much everyone on the team votes for that person.

When im in a party with my friends and this happens we just cant stop laughing. Like as soon as its time to vote, the 1 person on our team will get like 5 votes almost instantaneously lol

Do you happen to know what that little orange lightning bolt with the circular arrow on it is? It appears in the top left screen randomly all the time for me.

That doesn't sound familiar. Perhaps it's a PC-specific thing? I've been playing on PS4, so it's possible I haven't seen it because of that, but I don't know.

Anybody know of a good way to find people to play with? I'm really liking the game but on console nobody is on voice chat and I'm imagining it's a lot more fun if you're playing coordinated.

Quote this post to see the Gaf list.

Mutombo

ya seriously. I met ONE guy on voice chat, which meant that i got an obligatory friend request. I see a lot of people 'joining voice chat', but I never hear anyone.

I guess it's not a common thing yet on consoles to team speak. I don't really do it, but I can imagine it being a lot more fun when communicating.

Dunlop

Loving the game but now that I have more time in it I'm starting to see some negatives

- Bastion is just broken, I know he is counter-able but his loadout makes it so any person can get a endless string of kills with minimal effort. It's like playing missle command, point your cursor over a person and he is dead within a second. Rinse and repeat. Under 3 seconds to take out Reinhardt shields is bananas.

- Allowing multiples of the same character. I feel like this should be a weekly mode and normal gameplay should have unique being manditory. Just played a Hollywood defence where we all used Torbjorn. While hilarious for novelty purposes there was no way in hell the opposing team would win, they never even got close enough to contest.

- POTG should have more of a metric than most kills. I know it is possible for rezzing the whole team but even when I did that I was outed by a bastion. I have never received POTG for Lucio, Zenyatta,Symettra unless it was kill related. Add heals and teleports as a criteria and maybe more people will actually play support.

overall no regrets, but I think as time goes on how mechanics will get abused

That moment when you get every single gold medal as Bastion, including healing done, and when the cards show up, your name is listed for "most healing done: ~700". Even the game doesn't want anyone to vote for Bastion, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom