• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

I need to look up a character guide for Symmetra. Other than her turrets, I don't understand anything else about the way she plays.

She has a charge shot for distance and a beam for up close.

Apply shields to your teammates and take pot shots at the enemy team.

I need to look up a character guide for Symmetra. Other than her turrets, I don't understand anything else about the way she plays.

Keep shields on your team, keep your turrets up, then I think she works best as a flanker protecting her turret location. Once you see your turrets churning on someone, get behind them and lock your gun on to them, her DPS is real and will melt anything including tanks in seconds. About the only characters I'd be scared about are McCree and Reaper as both can kill you fast enough to escape before your turrets can finish the job.

Her close range beam charges up to full power over 2 seconds. It seems counter intuitive but if you are next to someone like Reaper or a tank your best strategy is to run around them up close and hold the beam.

Symmetra isnt bad, she just one of the worst offense heroes cuz her turrets and portals are usually out of place when the payload or cap moves, and if shes the only support then the healing aint gonna be there for the team like Mercy or Lucio. Requires a lot of map knowledge on where to play sentries/portals which I dont think the average player has right now. Most would be better off picking Lucio.

If you suck, just pick Lucio and stand around with ya squad mashing the E button. You're so fast nobody can kill you, you can escape any situation with speed up/e button, you pump out good damage with your left click that can legit kill people, you get people to the point faster, you heal them all by standing around, you have the most hype Ult in the game (*jumps in the air, music builds up*"LETS BREAK IT DOWN!" *echoes and reverberates waves of awesomeness) and its effective like all the time. He's the best support.

Sifl

Famous last words, "Guys don't get mad that I'm using Widowmaker on attack, I'm really good with her."
We lost both rounds 100 to 0. Wasnt solely the Widowmakers fault, but yea lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
heres a tip. Zenyatta's ult protects himself from D.Va's ult, but not the team mates as I found out yesterday ;_;

You have to be really careful with turret placement as Symmetra if there's an enemy D.Va. I had most of my layout wiped out by a D.Va ul, which is part of what lost the game.

I think I still got the most votes for player of the match though, haha.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Famous last words, "Guys don't get mad that I'm using Widowmaker on attack, I'm really good with her."

Widowmaker is really good at taking out Bastions that are posted up in the back. Attacking with Widowmaker has it's purposes.

Rizzi

Her turrets are awful, anybody with half a brain is going to go "Oh there's a Symmetra on their team I'm not going to run blindly around a corner", and they are very easy to destroy.
The range on her primary fire is literally two feet, and her secondary fire is the slowest fucking thing ever.

Cynar

A good widowmaker on attack can help a lot. They have to push with the objective though and a lot of players just like to hide and snipe. Completely ignoring her great mobility, poison mine, assault rifle. Plus her ultimate let's you see where the enemy team is.

Please don't be that guy.

Plus she's awesome at taking out bastion and turrets.

abundant

You have to be really careful with turret placement as Symmetra if there's an enemy D.Va. I had most of my layout wiped out by a D.Va ul, which is part of what lost the game.

I think I still got the most votes for player of the match though, haha.

It's the same with Junkrat's Rip Tire.

Surprisingly, Hanzo's ult doesn't work.

Mupod

I play Symmetra sometimes to change things up. It depends on the enemy team comp really. If they have a Winston he's going to jump around and wipe out all your turrets. If they're all Tracers and Genjis with a Reinhardt you can make their lives miserable. Portal is incredibly good if you hide it well but also map dependent. Most of the maps where I play Symmetra, I never play her for the entire match unless we stop them at the first point.

BigDug13

Symmetra isnt bad, she just one of the worst offense heroes cuz her turrets and portals are usually out of place when the payload or cap moves, and if shes the only support then the healing aint gonna be there for the team like Mercy or Lucio. Requires a lot of map knowledge on where to play sentries/portals which I dont think the average player has right now. Most would be better off picking Lucio.

If you suck, just pick Lucio and stand around with ya squad mashing the E button. You're so fast nobody can kill you, you can escape any situation with speed up/e button, you pump out good damage with your left click that can legit kill people, you get people to the point faster, you heal them all by standing around, you have the most hype Ult in the game (*jumps in the air, music builds up*"LETS BREAK IT DOWN!" *echoes and reverberates waves of awesomeness) and its effective like all the time. He's the best support.

I loved the Everquest Bard class. Lucio fits my style for that reason. Group speed, group healing, tiny bit of crowd control.

As far as Symmetra one thing I noticed about her portals. When the payload reaches a checkpoint, her portal gets reset so that you aren't stuck redirecting the spawning team to the wrong location. I thought that was a nice touch.

heres a tip. Zenyatta's ult protects himself from D.Va's ult, but not the team mates as I found out yesterday ;_;

His ult makes himself invulnerable and makes his teammates heal super fast (150HP/sec. I think?), so yeah, it's not gonna protect them from everything.

I've definitely seen good offensive Widowmakers. But that will be one more spot that isn't on the frontlines, soaking up damage, flanking the enemy, putting down fire and pushing the objective. You better make sure you have some good DPS/flanking/Tank/support classes to compensate for only 5 people pushing up maximum.

My Zenyatta tho

Just played a game and we were on defense about to fail and someone on our team was trying to get one or both of our snipers to stop sniping. And the guy playing Hanzo refused to switch because "he picked sniper first". Got a solid laugh out of that.

pigeon

Banned
I feel like people are only a little off about the POTG's is because it seems like every single one of them is a bastion sitting in a corner or a tjorborn turret sitting in the corner.

I base this off the chat room in my games each time one of these happen. I think they need to just adjust how often those characters get those POTG's.

Id honestly rather the POTG goto a person who gets 1 bad ass kill rather than bastion melting 4-5 dudes in turret mode.

It's not just them, I think PotG could use some refinement. Although if PotG is actually just meant to be super troll that's also fine, because I have seen a lot of PotG recently that ended with the person getting killed in a comical way.

My favorite troll Play of the Game was last night, where it was a Junkrat activating his ult, moving it about two feet forward and crashing it into a wall, killing himself but also getting a double kill.

no, someone pressed Q while you pushed the payload across the map yourself.

As somebody who routinely picks up the gold medal for objective time, I feel this. I wish I could get more recognition, but I'm also like, how do you make a play of the game video for pushing the payload? Time lapse?

I think they should just make the "time on payload" card cooler.

I've definitely seen good offensive Widowmakers. But that will be one more spot that isn't on the frontlines, soaking up damage, flanking the enemy, putting down fire and pushing the objective. You better make sure you have some good DPS/flanking/Tank/support classes to compensate for only 5 people pushing up maximum.

I encountered Widowmakers that ran around the map spraying people with the SMG, it was painful to watch.

spiritfox

Her turrets are awful, anybody with half a brain is going to go "Oh there's a Symmetra on their team I'm not going to run blindly around a corner", and they are very easy to destroy.
The range on her primary fire is literally two feet, and her secondary fire is the slowest fucking thing ever.

I guess I play with people without half a brain, cause I keep getting turret kills.

Keep in mind that the turrets apply slow too, so it'll make it easier for your teammates to get kills. Treat them like traps, place them near health packs and flanks so that you can snipe off escaping enemies and alert you to any flankers. Your primary fire is surprising deadly up close, don't be afraid to jump into the fray.

Of course, Winston is a hard counter so don't use her if he's in the game.

I encountered Widowmakers that ran around the map spraying people with the SMG, it was painful to watch.

Had one of those in KOTH. Like bruh, if you're gonna do that shit, just pick Soldier. Better assault rifle with pixel perfect five shot bursts, , cluster missiles for burst damage, sprints back into and out of battle, and a big health pool cuz of his E special.

It is possible to play well as Widowmaker on KOTH, if you position yourself right, taking down the Pharahs and Junkrats and Reapers of the world, using your Ult when ya can , knowing when to escape bad situations...but running on the objective with ya spread heavy machien gun is definitely not it.

zonezeus

My Zenyatta tho

Zenyatta is a DPS beast masquerading as support with tiny tiny healing capability thrown in just for the sake of labeling him as Support. I honestly think he and Symmetra should be re-labeled as Defense and a couple of real Support heroes should be added as soon as possible.

adz2ka

There's nothing I love more than carrying a team of Reapers/McCrees/Soldier76s who think they're contributing with their 5 kills and 0 objective kills while I'm using Mei. Her survivability is insane, and if don't have her in your team on control your team is gimped.

LiK

Has anyone managed to get that Zenyatta achievement for killing 4 discorded enemies within 6 seconds? How is that even possible?

There's a lot of trophies I noticed require dumb luck to get. Kinda wish they were less MLG but they do give people that challenge if they try to get them. I'm not even gonna bother. Just get whatever I happen to get.

MGrant

Symmetra's fun to me. She's my most played hero, though I only play her on defense, and even then only on some maps. And I generally switch to Mei if the enemy starts approaching the final checkpoint.

You gotta set up your turrets on the flanks to make sure the enemies are funneled down one path to your damage dealers. You can use them kind of like an alarm system to know which path the flankers are taking. If you cluster them, make sure to leave enough space between them, and put them in strange places so that they take more time to find and take down, but don't make them so far apart that they can't all simultaneously attack a target coming through whatever path you're trying to trap. This works really well on Dorado (crashed train, side caves) and King's Row (back of the two-door building next to A, back of the statue on the roundabout).

Left click is the tool you use to let a enemy know "you fucked up." Use it when you see a low-HP hero trying to go it alone, or to help your teammates focus someone down. It works best against mechless D.Va, Genji, Hanzo, Junkrat, Widowmaker, and even Soldier 76 when you can get the drop on him. When it's charged, it can take down tanks fairly effectively, too. It loses to Reaper and McCree, and you're not likely to be in range to use it on Bastion or Pharah. You can also use it on healers if they're dumb enough to not be behind their teammates. Don't use it on the front lines.

Right click is really only good for three things: bypassing Reinhardt's shields, disrupting widowmakers, and stopping an advance down a straight path. It does a fuckton of damage, though, which makes it very discouraging thing to be hit by.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Has anyone managed to get that Zenyatta achievement for killing 4 discorded enemies within 6 seconds? How is that even possible?

Don't assists count too? Just keep the discord ball on the enemies and hope your team kills them in the order you discord them lol.

If it was you needed to kill them, yeah, I think that would be impossible.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when you lose the first game of the day against 2 widowmakers and no tank

feelsbadman

BigDug13

I'm getting pretty good at solo laying in front of the payload with Lucio. Or pushing the payload from behind solo and if anyone gets in front, giving them a little burst to knock them back and move the payload a few more feet. I like standing right in front of a Reinhard doing nothing but shooting his shield to bait him into lowering it to swing at me then POP, launched backward.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Zenyatta is a DPS beast masquerading as support with tiny tiny healing capability thrown in just for the sake of labeling him as Support. I honestly think he and Symmetra should be re-labeled as Defense and a couple of real Support heroes should be added as soon as possible.

Calling Zen's healing capability tiny is just wrong. His heal orb is actually great since you don't need to be anywhere near people to toss it on them and even if they break line of sight they still get most of the healing they need out of it in the few seconds it lasts.

His DPS is silly good tho. Discord orb is one of the most underrated abilities in the game along with Mercy's attack hose.

DryvBy

There's a lot of trophies I noticed require dumb luck to get. Kinda wish they were less MLG but they do give people that challenge if they try to get them. I'm not even gonna bother. Just get whatever I happen to get.

Tons of 0%s too still. I'm sure someone will find out a way to nerf them. I'm just going to have fun and focus on the game.

Also, am I crazy or is the Xbox One version really blurry compared to the PS4/PC? I have it on all systems and just launched PS4 last night. Just seems to look a lot better.

That depends on whether or not assists are counted.

If not, cheating is the only way.

Don't assists count too? Just keep the discord ball on the enemies and hope your team kills them in the order you discord them lol.

If it was you needed to kill them, yeah, I think that would be impossible.

Assists better count! I usually don't care about achievements at all, but these ones unlock nice sprays :/. Don't think I'll ever get that one though, except through insane luck

Mupod

What's the best way to get through a Reinhardt shield quickly? Having so much trouble with them.

I hate that people don't just shoot the damn thing. A S76 or junkrat can break it pretty fast, to say nothing of Bastion.

Winston and symmetra can shoot through it directly as well.

LiK

Tons of 0%s too still. I'm sure someone will find out a way to nerf them. I'm just going to have fun and focus on the game.

Also, am I crazy or is the Xbox One version really blurry compared to the PS4/PC? I have it on all systems and just launched PS4 last night. Just seems to look a lot better.

People who did comparisons also say PS4 has brighter colors than PC by default from some video. Dunno, guess DF will need to work their magic.

I hate that people don't just shoot the damn thing. A S76 or junkrat can break it pretty fast, to say nothing of Bastion.

Winston and symmetra can shoot through it directly as well.

When I was playing as Junkrat, I would spam nades at that shield. Wish other people in the team would help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom