• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

That is it! Weird though because I never have FPS or lag issues in game when I see this.

chtjMu8.png

Found info official info here. Choose Network Icons. - https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7779

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Reaper finally clicked for me. He is the pyro of Overwatch.

I've always liked loved the Pyro. W+M1 to victory!

Pyro? WTF? Reaper is as far from Pyro as possible. Reaper is closest to an aggressive Dead Ringing Spy, which is why I play him. For his shotguns to be effective at all you have to be VERY accurate, and then they're absolutely brutal.

I love how you can find a really passionate argument about why any character on the roster is OP.

It's incredible, Blizzard have really lived the "don't nerf power, buff weakness" design philosophy and it's made for absurdly fun gameplay. Roster-wise Overwatch has the closest thing I've seen to a fighting game roster in any other genre. Everyone can be useful in any situation if played accordingly.

Yeah, even though there are clear high tier (McCree, Lucio) and low tier (Bastion, Mei) with the right team comp or player skill Mei and Bastion can still wreak havoc. The gap between the heroes ability wise and the skill required to execute things aren't as high as in a fighting game though

Exile20

Being a mercy with a Winston dedicated to kill you is tough man. He just jumps behind who you are healing, kills you and jumps back. I just fed up and switched.

pigeon

Banned
Loving the game but now that I have more time in it I'm starting to see some negatives

- Bastion is just broken, I know he is counter-able but his loadout makes it so any person can get a endless string of kills with minimal effort. It's like playing missle command, point your cursor over a person and he is dead within a second. Rinse and repeat. Under 3 seconds to take out Reinhardt shields is bananas.

Bastion is one of the least popular competitive characters and I have to say one of the characters I worry the least about when I see them. It's not even about having to switch to a counterpick. He can only cover one avenue at once. Wait for your team to go one way, go the other way and kill him.

If your strategy is waiting for Reinhardt and walking up slowly behind his shield you will lose. Bastion is optimized to defeat that one specific strategy. Do something else.

- Allowing multiples of the same character. I feel like this should be a weekly mode and normal gameplay should have unique being manditory. Just played a Hollywood defence where we all used Torbjorn. While hilarious for novelty purposes there was no way in hell the opposing team would win, they never even got close enough to contest.

This team should be super beatable. Play two or three tanks and roll them up. People really don't understand how poor Torb turret DPS is (it's even worse against armor). The main reason the turret is dangerous is that people try to do things that it is optimized against (it tracks really fast and it has no falloff, so trying to stay at range and dance around will definitely get you murdered). Walk up to it with a tanky character and just hit it, and it will die.

I think that character stacking is a self-limiting problem. It's not any different than playing five mid in League. The biggest reason people don't do it is that it actually isn't a good idea.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Mercy that refused to heal anyone that wasn't a tank.
The amount of complete retards I encounter is fun.

I spectated a stack of my friends playing a game with a Mercy that was playing as if she was a healing station the entire game. She refused to get anywhere remotely close to combat. She just stayed far back, behind walls healing people before they went in to try and win the game for her. She never followed even her Reinhardt into combat. Once he was full HP she retreated and hid behind a wall again.

Ferrio

Banned
So McCree can animation cancel his reload with melee right? How does that work, I tried and the reload animation just restarts after the melee.

Exile20

- Bastion is just broken, I know he is counter-able but his loadout makes it so any person can get a endless string of kills with minimal effort. It's like playing missle command, point your cursor over a person and he is dead within a second. Rinse and repeat. Under 3 seconds to take out Reinhardt shields is bananas.
Makes no sense.

Except for Zenyatta

He needs to be buffed for sure, but he can still be useful. His auto attack is downright deadly with how accurate it is, and the discord orb can shred tanks. Of course, if he is your only healer you are going to be sad he isn't Mercy or Lucio, but if you already have one of those he is a solid pick. Not as solid as having the other healer but he can be useful.

So McCree can animation cancel his reload with melee right? How does that work, I tried and the reload animation just restarts after the melee.

You have to wait until the shots in your counter go to 6/6 then melee for it to count. Try with Reaper first, it's easier and way faster.

OVDRobo

Being a mercy with a Winston dedicated to kill you is tough man. He just jumps behind who you are healing, kills you and jumps back. I just fed up and switched.

Remember you're as mobile as he is. If he jumps at you, look for a distant ally and fly to them.

That said, If your experience is anything like mine, they're either snipers sat behind rocks that you don't have the line of sight on to fly to, or Genji/Tracer players behind enemy lines which would just get you killed anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

You're thinking of Reaper. His reload has a melee-animation cancel for the time being though it can't possibly be intentional.

Drewfonse

I know that there is really no right or wrong way to play this, but part of me feels lame for picking Junkrat on defense and Lucio on Attack 90% of the time. I'm more skilled with them as opposed to the other heroes, and contribute to wins at a higher rate. But who really cares? I'm having a blast and I'm helping the team. Game is awesome.

You're thinking of Reaper. His reload has a melee-animation cancel for the time being though it can't possibly be intentional.

It's not like reload cancels aren't really common in PC FPS, but Reaper's is a bit too good. The drastic difference between the cancel and full reload is almost a full second, and Reaper does enough damage as is.

Exile20

Remember you're as mobile as he is. If he jumps at you, look for a distant ally and fly to them.

That said, If your experience is anything like mine, they're either snipers sat behind rocks that you don't have the line of sight on to fly to, or Genji/Tracer players behind enemy lines which would just get you killed anyway.

The team we were playing against was just so much better so my team was either dead or spaced out too far. After the second death I was always looking for another team mate but no one was around.

ExVicis

I would hope not, it considerably shortens the reload time. That fact changed up how I play Reaper entirely. Before this fact I rarely if ever went for long range shots to conserve ammo.

OVDRobo

The team we were playing against was just so much better so my team was either dead or spaced out too far. After the second death I was always looking for another team mate but no one was around.

Yep. The frustrating experience of being a Mercy on a losing team. Seems like at a certain point the enemy just has your number and it's better to switch than expect your allies to adapt fast enough to protect you in a single match.

jacobs34

I love those a-ha moments when your team figures out how to get around a gimmicky team comp. Was having a hard time against a team of Torbjorns and bastions until we went to a couple of Faras and Junkrats and just waIked the payload to the destination. I love how there is always a counter to whatever the other team is doing.

Yep. The frustrating experience of being a Mercy on a losing team. Seems like at a certain point the enemy just has your number and it's better to switch than expect your allies to adapt fast enough to protect you in a single match.

It makes sense, that's playing Mercy. More then anyone else in the game Mercy HAS to die.

You have to wait until the shots in your counter go to 6/6 then melee for it to count. Try with Reaper first, it's easier and way faster.

This. The time saved with Reaper is absolutely incredible. I don't see a huge gain in McCree, because by the time you're able to melee cancel you're nearly done reloading.

pigeon

Banned
I know that there is really no right or wrong way to play this, but part of me feels lame for picking Junkrat on defense and Lucio on Attack 90% of the time. I'm more skilled with them as opposed to the other heroes, and contribute to wins at a higher rate. But who really cares? I'm having a blast and I'm helping the team. Game is awesome.

It's a tough balance. I want to learn all the characters, so I want to play a bunch of different people.

On the other hand, I want to win, so eventually I probably have to switch to Lucio or D.Va and carry these jerks*.

I kind of like control maps for at least drawing a very clear line for when I need to switch to my good character.

* 60% joking.

jacobs34

I think if there was ever a time to experiment with characters that you are not good at it is now, before ranked comes out. I feel a little guilty running Hanzo or Genji in games, but when I am in solo que and my team goes with a crazy comp, I tend to treat those games like practice. If we somehow make a game out of it I will switch to Winston or Lucio and go for the win.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

It has to be intentional. The first thing anyone would check for is something like this.

Zeliard

I like the Reaper reload speed trick. Adds a bit more mechanical skill to a hero that, while devastating in the right hands, is a bit more limited in that area compared to some of the other offense/defense heroes.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
I actually got a compliment from a random, saying I was really good. I got a few POTG's as Symmetry; which basically means I don't have to aim and just walk around placing turrets, and I switched between Pharah and Winston as well.

I like that being good in this game basically means playing smart. Because i expect my aim on ps4 will always be terrible, it's a matter of countering play styles of the opposing team and a more tactical approach to choosing characters and the general 'doing of stuff'.

PS4 EU Gaffers much?

I think that's a great way to describe how it's played. This game is the exact opposite of COD or BF for me. Don't have to be a master marksman to be competitive. I main Zarya now, and I rarely get the POG or get votes, but I feel I add value and I'm having a lot fun doing it. This game is overflowing with personality which is why I can't stop playing it.

Morzul on PS4 and I'm always looking to group up.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was in the beta as well. If it wasn't intentional they would have hotfixed it, although I still think it's a bit too good.

I saw a few different threads for this on reddit, and apparently what happens is the first shot gets off 2 frames faster than just reloading but then the rest of the shots sync up so there is no discernible DPS increase for melee cancelling.

It feels faster than that, to me, but I haven't done any actual testing on it.

Calcium

Banned
Welp, I caved and got $30 worth of loot boxes. You win, Blizzard. Managed to get Zenyatta's Ra, Reaper's Nevermore, Mei's Firefighter and Pharah's Raptorion. Got enough currency to get the Okami skin for Hanzo and I'm 25 away from getting Blackhardt for Reinhardt. Not bad.

Spoo

The more I play with my team, the more things change in this game.

I'm level 34 now, and usually getting matched with others I can tell are in a group. It's not about countering a single player now -- it's about countering builds. Like, how do you take down the classic Mercy + Bastion + Reinhardt combo, or something more insidious like a damage- and health-boosted Pharah. So much of it actually comes down to execution; combination of ultimates, to be sure, but also coordinated moves by players when they are in position to do their part. It's so awesome to actually *plan* something, and then pull it off.

In fact, I spend a *lot* of time playing as Pharah now. I can run interference which is fun, but usually in my team I'm just the bombshell; forcing the other team to take cover behind a reinhardt, and then flanking appropriately and using my ultimate to team wipe while being damage-boosted.

Seeing a single Bastion in a lame spot is no longer an actual concern. Just call them out, counter-pick if necessary, and go to town. It's the team's that are actually working together to make crazy plays that makes things hard now.

As I've said before but it needs to be stated again: I weep for people who solo queue in this and wind up in teams with < 3 people in the team. With 3 you can still get something going against teams; not always, but you can. Less than that, and it doesn't matter how good an individual player is, smart plays with a coordinated team trumps any number of stacked bastions not communicating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom