• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

TsuXna

Seriously. It was already the best set up ult in the game - wtf? Most heroes couldn't escape it anyway!

Most of the characters in dive meta can easily escape it. This patch is more anti-dive. I think changes overall are pretty good except Doomfists.

Thank you. I simply post my opinions about the game and that's it. If they don't like it, they don't need to engage with me. I put them on ignore cuz of how hostile they become. Not worth my time.

You're welcome. Now, as a show of gratitude, please post many more Zen videos.

Veelk

Banned
Between Doomfist being a hard counter to D.Va and these patches that put her in danger, I'm concerned that Blizzard is trying to remove the best character in the game out of the meta.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Most of the characters in dive meta can easily escape it. This patch is more anti-dive. I think changes overall are pretty good except Doomfists.

anything to avoid buffing the actual anti dive solution
tumblr_inline_omzmofhZF71r89a0z_540.png

Veelk

Banned
anything to avoid buffing the actual anti dive solution
tumblr_inline_omzmofhZF71r89a0z_540.png

How would you go about buffing him? Other than tweaking his damage settings, which could easily result in some problems.

I like Torb and everything, but I'm weary of his autoaiming turret dominating maps like he used to in ye olde days of hero stacking.

mcccree buff but helps for slow people who takes awhile to aim at their head.

down 200sr points.

last game. how you going to do a 5 stack with 3 mercy main.

exYle

How would you go about buffing him? Other than tweaking his damage settings, which could easily result in some problems.

I like Torb and everything, but I'm weary of his autoaiming turret dominating maps like he used to in ye olde days of hero stacking.

Torb's OP-ness came from stacking only. He deserves his original damage back

Fugu

Because people disagreeing with you isn't flaming. Personal attacks, like what you did with LiK, are. Like what happened today. That wasn't LiK who was flaming. That was LiK being attacked over a misunderstanding (and a whole shit-load of building resentment, apparently).

Look, I really don't know how this board should function. I like the social aspect of it, but apparently others don't. So what's the answer here? Is this a social board for people who play OW? Is it a place for serious players to discuss high-level stuff? Seriously, I'm fairly new here and to Gaf, so I don't know.

I do know personal attacks are not okay. You will not convince me I'm wrong about that.
I implore you to go through my post history in this thread and find an example of me personally attacking anyone. Seriously! Go ahead. You won't find one.

You will, however, find a whole lot of me trying to help people who ask questions, questions that often get buried because this thread is becoming increasingly cliquey. And yes, you will also see me telling Lik that I think that telling people to leave voice chat is bad advice because it's bad advice and just about anyone who's played this game long enough and well enough will tell you that, but you won't find me personally attacking him.

MORE ARMOR!

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
I'm glad they nerfed the vertical mobility of Seismic Slam. The movement options it afforded were so strong that it seemed like it would rarely ever be used as an actual attack, which felt pretty counterintuitive given how the ability is described.

That Zarya change is huge. Will be fun stopping Genjis and Tracers in their tracks.

I don't really care for most of Doomfist's skins, but the Avatar one is so good that I reckon I'll grab it immediately.

MCD

That Zarya buff? What?

So as a D.VA and Tracer main I can't get out with dashing/blinking/recall?

This is bullshit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

quicker upgrade time, making him not so reliant on sticking to one spot in a game where that's just not very viable.

IKizzLE

That Zarya buff? What?

So as a D.VA and Tracer main I can't get out with dashing/blinking/recall?

This is bullshit.

Makes sense for an ability which is essentially a miniature black hole. Was always dumb that a bear trap could stop a walking mech but not the remains of an exploding star.

Anne

I hate the Zarya and McCree changes. Let's just remove every ounce of counterplay in the game so even the dumbest players don't mess up an ability.

I implore you to go through my post history in this thread and find an example of me personally attacking anyone. Seriously! Go ahead. You won't find one.

You will, however, find a whole lot of me trying to help people who ask questions, questions that often get buried because this thread is becoming increasingly cliquey. And yes, you will also see me telling Lik that I think that telling people to leave voice chat is bad advice because it's bad advice and just about anyone who's played this game long enough and well enough will tell you that, but you won't find me personally attacking him.

I believe you mocked LiK for what you thought was him implying he could be Grandmaster if he tried (that wasn't what he said, exactly, but you jumped on him for it). That is flaming.

And the sad thing is, I appreciate your input, always have, and even agreed with you 100% on the communication argument. But you went too far and too hard over what should have been a simple correction- "Most people will do better with comms on, your personal experience aside."- but turned into a personal attack.

So the takeaway here is, we do read and appreciate your advice, even if it feels like your posts are being buried. And please let your knowledge and desire to help shine through- don't use logically iffy tactics and attack posts to try to win an argument.

MCD

Makes sense for an ability which is essentially a miniature black hole. Was always dumb that a bear trap could stop a walking mech but not the remains of an exploding star.

But if I have recall I should be able to escape. If I don't then it's my fault for using it etc. With D.VA at least I can defense matrix my team.

As a still plat level player all these changes because of some higher level or meta or whatever really makes the game totally unfun.

No more grouping up on the objective then. Let's all split up because the enemy got a fucking Zarya.

Anne

As a still plat level player all these changes because of some higher level or meta or whatever really makes the game totally unfun.

This has nothing to do with higher level play. Zarya is bad because Defense Matrix counterplay boils down to killing D.Va. That makes black hole unusable for the most part. This change does nothing but make it easier for low level players to kill shit in gravs for free. It's a stupid change and has nothing to do with how the game actually works at any skill level.

Blizzard just doesn't want counterplay in the game in a general sense is what this looks like. They want you to only counter things with the designated method.

MCD

This has nothing to do with higher level play. Zarya is bad because Defense Matrix counterplay boils down to killing D.Va. That makes black hole unusable for the most part. This change does nothing but make it easier for low level players to kill shit in gravs for free. It's a stupid change and has nothing to do with how the game actually works at any skill level.

Blizzard just doesn't want counterplay in the game in a general sense is what this looks like. They want you to only counter things with the designated method.

:( This is even more insane.

MCD

games tonight. 1-6

is S5 over yet.

I was watching tips and tricks for Tracer on YouTube by a cool guy named Dips I think. The best advice I got from him:

Never let a loss streak get you. Never tilt. Always stay positive.

Relax. Don't play comp for a bit. Play Arcade or QP and come back to comp when you can feel it.

Just have fun. Don't look at SR too much.

It's nothing new, we've been in a game where the only reliable counter-play against Earthshatter was another Reinhardt. The McCree one is more of a QOL thing because despite being the counter for certain characters, it was goofy to have them at times completely negate the stun time of flashbang because of how they jank off an edge.

Anne

It's nothing new, we've been in a game where the only reliable counter-play against Earthshatter was another Reinhardt. The McCree one is more of a QOL thing because despite being the counter for certain characters, it was goofy to have them at times completely negate the stun time of flashbang because of how they jank off an edge.

The McCree change drastically changes how I fight against McCree if I'm on Tracer or Genji. Before I could rely on making a shot very difficult or going around geometry to make it harder. High level McCree players could get around this by holding E for the best moment, which wasn't hard. Now the skill part of that match up on both sides is gone, because some Gold McCree players can't learn to be patient or aim.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's kind of crazy that they keep looking at tanks and offense characters and the like while neglecting how niche the defense heroes are pretty much across the board

The McCree change drastically changes how I fight against McCree if I'm on Tracer or Genji. Before I could rely on making a shot very difficult or going around geometry to make it harder. High level McCree players could get around this by holding E for the best moment, which wasn't hard. Now the skill part of that match up on both sides is gone, because some Gold McCree players can't learn to be patient or aim.
I mean McCree is about as basic a hero as you get. He's a pistol with pocket sand. Genji still has an ability that can turn it against him, and Tracer has a get out of jail button against so many matchups that it's fine for her to actually have something more reliably stop her.

Blues1990

I mean McCree is about as basic a hero as you get. He's a pistol with pocket sand. Genji still has an ability that can turn it against him, and Tracer has a get out of jail button against so many matchups that it's fine for her to actually have something more reliably stop her.

They could give McCree a whip?

At least it would give the excuse to give him an Indiana Jones-inspired skin.

I was watching tips and tricks for Tracer on YouTube by a cool guy named Dips I think. The best advice I got from him:

Never let a loss streak get you. Never tilt. Always stay positive.

Relax. Don't play comp for a bit. Play Arcade or QP and come back to comp when you can feel it.

Just have fun. Don't look at SR too much.

im just farming comp point at this point. just need 100 more wins to get another golden weapon. lol

That never really bothers me.

I think it takes a lot of awareness to know when to suicide on the point and when to stay alive. It's the most chaotic point of the game, so it's very easy to not know if a teammate is going to take care of it for you, or the clock/overtime meter is running out. And it's probably pretty rare for a suicide to end in a win like that anyway, since your tanks are probably dead if they aren't on the point, and you're not likely to turn the tide as you die on the point.

It seems like a type of recency effect to me, where people inflate the importance of the very first and very last moment, and completely forget about the middle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_position_effect

You see this all the time in professional sports interviews, where the interviewer wants to ask about something that happened at the start or end of a game, and the athlete well versed in the flow of the entire game redirects to something in the middle as the most important moment.

I find it a pretty important for self improvement in any videogame to actively work against falling into that fallacy in self reflecting on why I won or lost a game.

Absolutely it can make a difference. Step on point before the time runs out and you trigger overtime. All of a sudden Tracer is with you, then Lucio, then the tanks. I've seen it happen many times.

There is absolutely nothing to gain by not going on point at the end. Who cares if it's suicidal if your going to lose anyway?

Anne

Let me tell you guys a story about a character named Roadhog. This character had a 6s hook with no LoS check that led to a one shot combo. He was pretty good, but there was this thing where the hook didn't always place people directly in front of him. Good Roadhog players would complete the combo anyways 99% of the time. Bad ones didn't. At this point in time there was a lot of debate about how Roadhog worked, but he wasn't running completely rampant in lower ranks because the skill check wasn't consistently landing.

Eventually, Blizzard added a LoS check to the hook while also removing the skill check on landing the combo. This was a big nerf to him, but in lower ranks people were suddenly getting murdered left and right by every Roadhog that could hit shift. There was a big outcry that this was actually a buff, meanwhile in high level play overall it was a nerf. In the end, Roadhog ate nerf after nerf until he was eventually just useless and without a strong combo.

Now look at the direction they are moving with McCree. This is overall a big buff, but you're about to deal with people that are blind killing you with this thing. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months they decide this combo is too good and end up nerfing FtH or headshot damage later on down the line. It's not actually too good, but it's going to feel bad to get hit by it in Plat.

Veelk

Banned
Let me tell you guys a story about a character named Roadhog. This character had a 6s hook with no LoS check that led to a one shot combo. He was pretty good, but there was this thing where the hook didn't always place people directly in front of him. Good Roadhog players would complete the combo anyways 99% of the time. Bad ones didn't. At this point in time there was a lot of debate about how Roadhog worked, but he wasn't running completely rampant in lower ranks because the skill check wasn't consistently landing.

Eventually, Blizzard added a LoS check to the hook while also removing the skill check on landing the combo. This was a big nerf to him, but in lower ranks people were suddenly getting murdered left and right by every Roadhog that could hit shift. There was a big outcry that this was actually a buff, meanwhile in high level play overall it was a nerf. In the end, Roadhog ate nerf after nerf until he was eventually just useless and without a strong combo.

Now look at the direction they are moving with McCree. This is overall a big buff, but you're about to deal with people that are blind killing you with this thing. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months they decide this combo is too good and end up nerfing FtH or headshot damage later on down the line. It's not actually too good, but it's going to feel bad to get hit by it in Plat.

I'm on console, so this buff is going to make McCree marginally usable for a few seconds before players remember they can just use soldier who is basically the same as McCree but better in every way.

Top Bottom