• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Gorillaz

Yea I have to actually mentally talk to myself each time I boot up OW and ask do I want to go down Comp road today or not. Like I have to do a list of positive and negatives.

For the past 2 days I had to say no mas

Blues1990

Blizzard

give us Beardfist

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

tumblr_oec08bxCzV1usws96o7_400.gif

jviggy43

It is.

A few days ago I saw an interview with fankda (nº 1 in europe ps4, pharah main that reached 5000sr) and he was saying that until you reach master you should always try to play with a big stack (ideally 6) because of the lack of communication (language diversity) and the amount of throwers.

I have to agree with this opinion considering what I saw this season. I don't know if the matchmaking is just bad or if there's just too many trolls but I had my biggest win(10)/loss(13) streak this season and besides a good play here or there I felt like most of the games were decided by the matchmaking with a lot of one-sided games.

This. I got to diamond in S2 with a stack and it was great. But after that it was quite evident several people were holind me and friend back so right around master we duo qued and took off from there. Far less people in masters and up that throw (although you WILL still get some).

Veelk

Banned
*sigh*

Quickplay is genuinely the worst thing about overwatch.

I just can't get over the number of games where people genuinely do not give a shit about playing the game as intended. Because 'its qp lol', people make teams with no cohesion, no communication, no goddamn sense at all.

It's so goddamn motherfucking stupid. It ruins the game (unless your playing with a stack). If you quit enough games, you get punished for it. That threshold is rather high, but if you quit every game that gives you this stupid shit, you'll be quitting more than half of them. So you are punished for ditching out of this bullshit, people aren't punished for creating it in the first place.

kurahador

He stays in the sky for too long, imo. I understand they wanna allow time for him to aim but it's a bit too generous.

I don't understand why Doomfist ult give you the ability to aim. He's a close combat hero, his ult should be instantaneous.

Like charge in, ult, give 1 sec for everyone to realize his ult is coming in the spot he disappear and boom.

Owzers

*sigh*

I just can't get over the number of games where people genuinely do not give a shit about playing the game as intended. Because 'its qp lol', people make teams with no cohesion, no communication, no goddamn sense at all.

It's so goddamn motherfucking stupid. It ruins the game (unless your playing with a stack). If you quit enough games, you get punished for it. That threshold is rather high, but if you quit every game that gives you this stupid shit, you'll be quitting more than half of them. So you are punished for ditching out of this bullshit, people aren't punished for creating it in the first place.

Yeah...whenever it's just Pinku and me and we choose to abandon reason and play qp it's always bad, but usually we just send out the invites.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just want to know why there is literally always a widowmaker in QP. Usually on both teams.

I feel like I have to play Winston constantly in QP just for that shit.

Veelk

Banned
I just want to know why there is literally always a widowmaker in QP. Usually on both teams.

I feel like I have to play Winston constantly in QP just for that shit.

Because where else are you going to play her? Competitive where she is literally the single greatest liability in the game, moreso than even Roadhog is now?

Widowmaker is utterly broken on consoles and has been for pretty much a year at this point.

We need an unranked mode more than we need literally anything else.

The mystery I want to know is why I always get stuck on the team without a healer. I swear to god, it's a statistical enigma. If there is a game where there is only team has a healer, I'm always on the team without it.

with the lootbox change they reaally should have added guaranteed credits on level up

I've opened 5 boxes so far, no dupes, but no credits either and all wwbw for stuff I never would have bought.

It's gonna make it even harder to buy the things I want now...

Phu

Banned
with the lootbox change they reaally should have added guaranteed credits on level up

I've opened 5 boxes so far, no dupes, but no credits either and all wwbw for stuff I never would have bought.

I think that was their plan.

Anyway, finally decided to get around to my tenth and final placement match. Our Mercy was a thrower so that was nice.

exYle

Because where else are you going to play her? Competitive where she is literally the single greatest liability in the game, moreso than even Roadhog is now?

Widowmaker is utterly broken on consoles and has been for pretty much a year at this point.

We need an unranked mode more than we need literally anything else.

The mystery I want to know is why I always get stuck on the team without a healer. I swear to god, it's a statistical enigma. If there is a game where there is only team has a healer, I'm always on the team without it.

You're somewhat correct. The term is called confirmation bias

Veelk

Banned

It's almost like lootboxes that don't give you any control over what you get aren't actually fun or practical mechanisms and are made to be exploitative of gamers collectathon tendencies.

I enjoy getting costumes and emotes and all, because I like the content of it, and that means I've given a lot of money to Blizzard. And some of that I don't mind because it helps provide great support to the game and also for the hours I've put into overwatch, I feel it deserves it since I've gotten more play out of this game than literally any other in terms of hours put in.

But I'm just not a fan of the system itself.

You're somewhat correct. The term is called confirmation bias

Probably, but I swear to god, I genuinely can't remember the last game I had where my team had a healer and the others didn't and I check the enemy line up every game.

They said that we were getting around the same or even more credits than before with this new lootbox system. I really hope that's true because I much rather have dupes that give me currency than a random spray.

For example in the last event I got on average >50 credits per box (115 levels), enough to buy two legendary skins if I wanted to.

kaskade

Definitely nice not getting dupes. I opened 5 boxes and none yet. It felt like I'd get an average of one cup per box before which sucks, especially when it's voice lines and stuff like that.

Now Zen is my support pick, and I stopped giving a shit if people start talking crap and asking me to change to Mercy to solo heal. No man, I'm not doing that, you change your Hanzo, Widow or 3rd DPS, I'm not playing for you or your enjoyment, I'm playing because I want to win, yeah, but also HAVE FUN.

Same. I played Mercy in S1, and it wasn't any fun. Being hunted the entire time, having everyone calling for heals at all times. Nope. Zen only (or Lucio if someone else nabs Zen and we have 2 tanks).
Life's too short to play Mercy.

They said that we were getting around the same or even more credits than before with this new lootbox system. I really hope that's true because I much rather have dupes that give me currency than a random spray.

For example in the last event I got on average >50 credits per box (115 levels), enough to buy two legendary skins if I wanted to.
It'll be nice if that's true but I doubt it.

As seen on reddit

"Honestly just take roadhog out of the fucking game at this point, every time I see a teammate pick him I want to throw up. It's like one of my good friends had a stroke and is now a shadow of his former self, drooling and hooked up to a bevy of machines. I'm standing over him, choking up. I just want to smush a pillow into his face and end his suffering.
Goodnight, sweet prince."

antitrop

Solo-healing as Zen isn't really any more fun than playing Mercy, though. You have to spend more time micro'ing your Harmony Orb than fragging out, which takes all the fun out of playing Zen.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Probably, but I swear to god, I genuinely can't remember the last game I had where my team had a healer and the others didn't and I check the enemy line up every game.

I suppose if you never go healer, than statistically you are more likely to be on a team with no healers than the opposing team, with only 5 chances for a healer instead of 6.

The strange thing bout Hog is that they made it even easier to hook combo (put target directly in front of you)...then they said it was no fun.

Lulz, they really seem lost. Shoulda jus left his ass alone and put the hook on 8 second cd.

Jacqli

*sigh*

Yep, if you dont care about competitive, then you are fucked. They should add a reward to QP or making it more important. I think that people nowadays take arcade more seriously because of the loot boxes.

But I also think that if you do care about competitive, you are even more fucked. So there is something wrong with the game or community or both.

Veelk

Banned
I suppose if you never go healer, than statistically you are more likely to be on a team with no healers than the opposing team, with only 5 chances for a healer instead of 6.

I used to be willing to go healer in QP.

Now if no one else goes, I want to punish the team.

BigDug13

Solo-healing as Zen isn't really any more fun than playing Mercy, though. You have to spend more time micro'ing your Harmony Orb than fragging out, which takes all the fun out of playing Zen.

Still more fun than being attached to everyone with a huge healing beam that screams "come kill Mercy here". Zenyatta can heal more on the sly. Snipe people with right click, assist with discord, etc. More fun than Mercy even if you have to be more of a healing manager sometimes.

Veelk

Banned
Yep, if you dont care about competitive, then you are fucked. They should add a reward to QP or making it more important. I think that people nowadays take arcade more seriously because of the loot boxes.

But I also think that if you do care about competitive, you are even more fucked. So there is something wrong with the game or community or both.

I care about competitive, but like you said, that's the problem. Competitive is the only real way to play the game. The only place that people try to win the game as normal. Arcade too, but then you have to put up with dumb rules mystery heroes. If you want to play the normal game, then you have to play competitive.

But because SR matters so much, you can't experiment with anything. Stick to the meta or atleast what your good at or else you fall.

And you can go with the mentality of "Lol, SR doesn't matter, but the truth is that the quality of my matches has skyrocketed in platinum than what I had in gold for hte last couple months. I don't want to go back to the Gold. It was fucking awful.

Sygma

It's hard to get a handle on how good Doomfist is right now. Everyone is too shit with him, and since he's this giant ass mofo, whenever he tries to dive, everyone focus fires on him. I just kicked his ass with D.Va and mechanically he has all he needs to eat D.Va's lunch. If Roadhog still worked, he would utterly delete Doomfist from the game. We're talking Winston->Widowmaker levels of hard counter. I'm still hoping that that's the real reason he got nerfed to oblivion and we're getting old Hog back when the hype is all done.

I just think his immunity and traversal during his ult is just bad design. Every ability should have a counter in some way. Even Zenyatta's transcendence, immune to almost anything, still is vulnerable to movement effects, so a clever Pharah can concussion blast him into a pit.

With Doomfist, there is just nothing. He's just invulnerable and there's no stopping his meteor strike. The best you can do is survive it if your Mei and go into your icicle or Reaper and wraith out, but nothing to actually punish the player for using it at a bad time.

I mean technically speaking you should only be worried about a doomfist landing a fully charged rocket punch after you re out of armor. not like you dont have boosters to not avoid it. you can dm his left click and his slam does 125dmg max ... so yeah theres really only one scenario viable. Dva still being pesky. however doomfist + zen on dva make things interesting since you ll probably have to turn around in order to stop getting damage, and that will leave an opening for df to land a charged punch on a discorded dva

rulerk1

i get that Doomfist is a new hero so in time it wont matter as much but i feel like when i die to one it feels kind of...random. Only other character i felt like this was Hanzo.

Veelk

Banned
i get that Doomfist is a new hero so in time it wont matter as much but i feel like when i die to one it feels kind of...random. Only other character i felt like this was Hanzo.

It is about as random as Hanzo and Hog, which is to say that random at all. Like, yeah, sometimes you get hit out of nowhere, but it is your job to be aware of where the enemy is, what abilities they have on CD, and so on. You get some randomness in that, but you get randomness to every character ability, from walking into the line of Soldier's rocket burst + assault gun fire to Rein's charges or Zenyatta's volley.

This isn't a problem of the game as far as I'm concerned since it's counterable. That's all it really needs to be imo.

rulerk1

It is about as random as Hanzo and Hog, which is to say that random at all. Like, yeah, sometimes you get hit out of nowhere, but it is your job to be aware of where the enemy is, what abilities they have on CD, and so on. You get some randomness in that, but you get randomness to every character ability, from walking into the line of Soldier's rocket burst + assault gun fire to Rein's charges or Zenyatta's volley.

This isn't a problem of the game as far as I'm concerned since it's counterable. That's all it really needs to be imo.

idk man this seems super Random but he is only two days old so whatever, i will learn how to position against him in due time

i'm sure this has been mentioned but does anyone else hate how on consoles, doomfist's gun is on the left hand side but you use the right trigger to fire and his fist is on the right hand side but you use the left trigger to punch?

Blues1990

i'm sure this has been mentioned but does anyone else hate how on consoles, doomfist's gun is on the left hand side but you use the right trigger to fire and his fist is on the right hand side but you use the left trigger to punch?

It's the same with Mei's Primary and Secondary fire (when using a controller). It really messed me up when messing around with a PS4 controller for the PC version, so I had to remap them.

Blues1990

Symmetra + Ivy.

Looks good to me, maybe a healing whip of some sort.

Yeah, some of the stats for this character are pretty out there. I am happy that we are (potentially) getting more melee-oriented heroes for the game, as Reinhardt, Doomfist, and Genji (Dragonblade) are a lot of fun to use.

Veelk

Banned
So I finally decided to bite the bullet and just make try to fiddle with Blizzards custom game options. I reverted Hog's gun back to what it was to the best of my ability (4 shot clip with 35% of it's power back. No option to slow it down though), cut down Widow's CD abilities by 25%, and upped Winston's CD on his barrier by 10%. And of course Soldier is going to do 18 damage per bullet because fuck Soldier.

I just have it set as a preset, but now I need people to test it out. If Gaf is interested, we can try it out next time we do the PS4 party thing.

Edit - Note to self: reduce CD on McCree's roll too.

Blues1990

I foresee Doomfist Zarya Lucio becoming a thing

Zarya's bubbles are perfect to get a teammate out of a sticky situation, as I've bubbled a Winston multiple times when they go in the thick of it. I can definitely see Doomfist in a similar situation for being a bubble buddy.

Lucio will be Lucio....Because he's a bard with roller-skates.

If this is true, then cool. Otherwise, it's pretty impressive for a fake.

That's a lot of effort put in if that's fake. It all sounds cool though so I hope it's real.

Only problem is I wish the next like 3 heroes were tanks and healers. Half the heroes in this game are DPS. We only have 4 healers (plus 3 utility heroes that work as support) and really only 4 truly viable tanks.

Top Bottom