• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Nimby

Banned
Playing Lawbreakers makes me really appreciate all of the little things Blizzard really got right.

Particularly, fantastic art design and animation.

Yeah. Can't stand the art and voices.

Watching Seagull play it though, it looks fun. And the rocket character is more about hitting directs rather than choke spam, much more interesting to watch and play a character like that.

Paltheos

Man, Doomfist has quickly became my most hated hero to go against. It's really annoying getting one shot so damn much.

Likewise. I can't wrap my head around how Blizzard decided that Roadhog's one-shot - A combo dependent on an 8 second cooldown move that's stopped by barriers, getting booped, or getting slept from a a low mobility character who's largely vulnerable on cooldown - Is no good, but Doomfist's? A 4-second CD, cancellable, barrier-ignoring, one-hit kill if you happen to be by a wall in Overwatch from a high mobility, bulky character? A-OK! That's fucked up.

... I'm overselling the difference a bit, for sure, but these fall under the same umbrella imo, and dammit Roadhog was never a problem. With his slow, fatass moving around, limiting him outright to where he could be by virtue of not having any movement abilities, you'd know the number of places and the speed at which he could get there. Doomfist could be fuck anywhere.

And I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, but one of the things I hate the most about being killed by this character is that even if your team manages a revenge-kill (one of the things I hope for most in general after being killed and I'm sure it's the same for allot of people), he will probably get back to the point before you do. Doomfist can charge in like a maniac and as long as he gets one kill, he's probably helping the team.

RoaDhogs a 600 hp tank that can heal himself and everyone besides Roadhog mains complained how it's just not fun to play against them. How has everyone forgotten this? They fucked him up for sure, but that character is just fucking lame. I liked the slow hook idea, or the delayed shot after the hook to add a little more skill/ give the other guy a chance. 600 hp self healers shouldn't be able to 1 shot like he did.

Ramirez

RoaDhogs a 600 hp tank that can heal himself and everyone besides Roadhog mains complained how it's just not fun to play against them. How has everyone forgotten this? They fucked him up for sure, but that character is just fucking lame. I liked the slow hook idea, or the delayed shot after the hook to add a little more skill/ give the other guy a chance. 600 hp self healers shouldn't be able to 1 shot like he did.

Everyone complains about every character they don't main, lol. If you were getting hooked all game, you're bad at positioning, it wasn't due to him being OP.

If he was OP than his win rate would be high but it wasn't prior to his nerf. If you just think the hook combo was anti-fun than that's a different discussion.

Idk, getting hooked from behind cover was always (always) bullshit and that absolutely used to be a thing

You're right but that was a long time ago

Name a character no one ever complains about.

kurahador

I always complain about the hitbox size on those stupid icicles.

Can't imagine the horror if Blizzard decided to buff her firing speed.

Didn't know that was such an issue. I thought Mei is one of the more balanced character.

Speaking of crosshair, I wish you can set up different crosshairs for each heroes.
Really hard to spread shot effectively with Tracer without her default circle reticle.

xCobalt

anyone have crosshair settings that mimic the old short crosshairs? no matter what i try it doesn't feel right

https://imgur.com/a/Bb1eP

Didn't know that was such an issue. I thought Mei is one of the more balanced character.

Speaking of crosshair, I wish you can set up different crosshairs for each heroes.
Really hard to spread shot effectively with Tracer without her default circle reticle.

You definitely can have individual cross hairs. Make sure you select the Hero you want changes for.

jviggy43

Roadhog, a 600 hp character with zero mobility and zero defense mechanisms with zero long range abilities was essentially a free ult charge for anyone who even remotely understands positioning in this game. People complained and ruined a perfectly fine character that ended up cultivating the playstyles of the current meta. This game could use a character like old roadhog right now and doomfist and hanzo one shots are all far more unfair than roadhog ever was.

Also Zen during his 50% discord was nerfed so fast and mei has always been complained about for the most part during the early seasons (I mained her then so believe me I heard it all the time).

Gorillaz

Sombra still shuts doom down the easiest. With or without old piggy. He is as useless as tracer is without her blink and rewind.

Hog was them helping out the more mainstream only play OW once every 5 weeks type of people

is console still 20 tick

I think so, don't remember seeing anything realted to that in the patch notes.

Oof, Genji/Reaper player is nice to our team but he needs to tone down some of those slurs for enemy team lol

True. I didn't even notice it while we were playing.

so he threw in your game but he played seriously against you? wtf

He started as a widow again in this game, and he actually got two killing blows that gave them the point. Problem was that when he played with us he said the he was going to switch to a healer after and then he didn't, being a prick in the chat at the end (though I was pretty toxic by that point too). Wonder if he did the same with that team.

Paltheos

Roadhog, a 600 hp character with zero mobility and zero defense mechanisms with zero long range abilities was essentially a free ult charge for anyone who even remotely understands positioning in this game. People complained and ruined a perfectly fine character that ended up cultivating the playstyles of the current meta. This game could use a character like old roadhog right now and doomfist and hanzo one shots are all far more unfair than roadhog ever was.

Right. The way Roadhog fit into the game is pretty intuitive too. Use cover. Use the environment around you to avoid getting hooked (or break the chain after the 2.0 patch). And it's the same for other characters too. Widowmaker's an extremely dangerous character, kept in check by needing sightlines (and good aim) and limited mobility. On the flip side, you do have Junkrat who punishes using entirely closed spaces, but his bombs are relatively slow-moving and can be blocked outright. They also don't kill in one-hit, giving you an opportunity for counterplay. Shit, Tracer and Genji will usually kill me as Zen in 1v1s, but I have the *opportunity* for counterplay.

:mad: Doomfist doesn't care about any of that. And his playstyle encourages defensive measures of 'staying out in the open'. My first experiences lead me to believe he's dumb OP. ... At least from a glance. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see how he settles.

Nimby

Banned
Doomfist combines everything I hate about this game into one character.

Massive knockback that fucks your aim ✓
Extremely high kill potential with one-shot abilities ✓
Oppressive play-style that makes you scared to play in a specific area ✓

And his ult with new graviton surge has zero counter play. What do you actually do against that, is sound barrier enough?

EDIT: Go outside, get Widow'd. Go inside, get punched into a wall.

My first experiences lead me to believe he's dumb OP. ... At least from a glance. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see how he settles.

Yeah it's still hard to tell.

I don't think he is right now, he has one awesome move (rocket punch) that can feel that way, but the rest of his kit is nothing extraordinary. His hitbox is also insanely big for someone with 250hp+couple of barriers.

There's probably some kind of rhythm we should use to play as him, can't wait to see some good players trying him in a serious comp environment (like Seagull for example, he said he will come back to ow when doomfist is available in comp).

Jellie

inhouse_wip.png

Inhouse reminder. One hour.
Discord link is in the OP

IKizzLE

Doomfist combines everything I hate about this game into one character.

Massive knockback that fucks your aim ✓
Extremely high kill potential with one-shot abilities ✓
Oppressive play-style that makes you scared to play in a specific area ✓

And his ult with new graviton surge has zero counter play. What do you actually do against that, is sound barrier enough?

EDIT: Go outside, get Widow'd. Go inside, get punched into a wall.

His ult does around 3-400 damage head on, so several characters at full health can survive it while in a graviton, plus sound barrier will keep the whole cast alive.

As much as I love the idea that you can press a button to request and make your own highlights, so far all it's done is get me accidental highlights that then become hilarious because it's absolutely mundane things with the dramatic POTG music behind them.

As much as I love the idea that you can press a button to request and make your own highlights, so far all it's done is get me accidental highlights that then become hilarious because it's absolutely mundane things with the dramatic POTG music behind them.

Lulz. Came here to ask what ps4 users set that to, I was thinking about left d-pad since it's only for hero info.

Sygma

Everyone complains about every character they don't main, lol. If you were getting hooked all game, you're bad at positioning, it wasn't due to him being OP.

look, even harbleu said that he was spamming hook off cd because it was a chance of pick. have nothing to do with positionning .. road was complete cancer to play against. i really dont mind doomfist because hes nullified by either ana, tracer or sombra

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Roadhog wasn't overpowered, but his skill floor for being effective and getting kills was much lower than that of the DPS characters that should be focusing him down. So when low-ranked Hogs faced off against low-rank DPS, the DPS would either just get hooked endlessly all match or get frustrated and give up on trying to shoot him in favor of chasing down a Genji or some nonsense.

Like, ideally people would just learn basic positioning and the Roadhog problem would've disappeared, but people think they're already fantastic at the game and would rather see a "cheap" character get nerfed than have their assumptions challenged. So I think, at some level, the Roadhog nerf was Blizzard balancing around players' unwillingness to learn the game, rather than actual mechanical impact and efficacy.

Sygma

Roadhog wasn't overpowered, but his skill floor for being effective and getting kills was much lower than that of the DPS characters that should be focusing him down. So when low-ranked Hogs faced off against low-rank DPS, the DPS would either just get hooked endlessly all match or get frustrated and give up on trying to shoot him in favor of chasing down a Genji or some nonsense.

Like, ideally people would just learn basic positioning and the Roadhog problem would've disappeared, but people think they're already fantastic at the game and would rather see a "cheap" character get nerfed than have their assumptions challenged. So I think, at some level, the Roadhog nerf was Blizzard balancing around players' unwillingness to learn the game, rather than actual mechanical impact and efficacy.

theres just no counterplay to roadhog's mobility if he has a lucio speedboosting him. the moment you turn around to focus someone else or w/e, you re hooked. doomfist has to charge up to you and hes countered by so many things its not funny. what i love about df is his ability to punish careless dps heroes using ult. i killed so many genjis using blade on the ptr, same.for soldier and it felt really good

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Shouldn't Roadhog mains be happy that they have Doomfist to move over to for their beloved one hit kills for out of position heroes instead of complaining about some sort of hypocrisy of having another one hit kill ability?

Or are they worried that Doomfist will actually take skill to play?

Shouldn't Roadhog mains be happy that they have Doomfist to move over to for their beloved one hit kills for out of position heroes instead of complaining about some sort of hypocrisy of having another one hit kill ability?

Hog does take skill to play though.

Maybe the fact that some people think he doesn't is the reason why there are so many Hogs that just feed during entire games. The kind that uses the take-a-breather while surrounded by the enemy team.

I don't disagree, I main Pharah / Mei / DVa lol. but it wasn't a fun mechanic to play against. And it was a stupid character build. I've said he was stupid since day one, not OP. 600 hp, self healing, one shots, it's just not fun. A bad roadhog gives the other team ult he doesn't die over and over, I'd rather just pick a bad player off, more satisfying, better all around game. I don't miss Hog that much, Reins return has been great though!

People just like to complain. The other day nerfed Hog was tilting Pooh. He knows he's not actually still good, but getting killed bugs people.

And with Hog it was so easily quantifiable
"I got pulled away from my team and got killed, boo."

Paltheos

Come on, bro. We just talked about it on this page. I understand being late to the party, but don't talk shit about it when the conversation's in plain view.

Jellie

theres just no counterplay to roadhog's mobility if he has a lucio speedboosting him. the moment you turn around to focus someone else or w/e, you re hooked. doomfist has to charge up to you and hes countered by so many things its not funny. what i love about df is his ability to punish careless dps heroes using ult. i killed so many genjis using blade on the ptr, same.for soldier and it felt really good
Your own Lucio speed boosting?
Also hog straight up is trash right now.

Started playing this a few weeks ago on the PC, how often do skins show up in the loot boxes you earn? Got to admit I'm getting a little tired of leveling up only to earn spray tags I never use and maybe a voice clip I'll never use.

Also, is there no story to this game in the actual game?

Top Bottom