• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Gamerdude99

Neo Member
Idk, getting hooked from behind cover was always (always) bullshit and that absolutely used to be a thing

I was wondering why I never hit hooks as much as I used to! I took a 2 year hiatus on this game and I still try to hook people over barriers and stuff.. didnt know you couldnt do it anymore

But yeah, roadhogs pitiful in my opinion. He was my main, and Im best with him, but picking him is a sure loss. Pretty much any character in the game just walks away from a super hard to hit hook

Veelk

Banned
Started playing this a few weeks ago on the PC, how often do skins show up in the loot boxes you earn? Starting to get a little tired of leveling up to earn spray tags I never use and maybe a voice clip I'll never use.

Also, is there no story to this game in the actual game?

For the most part, no. You get little descriptions in the Hero Gallery of the costumes that show some lore. Everything else is just some voicelines and designs that show off each characters personality or interactions with other characters. The maps are also events that happened in some way or another, but of course the actual events of the game are noncanon because we don't have characters fighting clones of themselves or certain characters working with others when they hate each other.

The biggest actual story event that actually happened mostly as depicted in the game was during the anniversary event where we replayed a battle that happened a while back with characters that were actually there in their overwatch uniforms, but you can't play that anymore.

I still think there's a place for Hog but I figure the Hog mains know more than me.

As for early discussion on Doomfist, the ult making him invincible is pretty silly, otherwise he doesn't come across too potent, I figure if we're cool with Genji's ability to harass, kill, escape and pulverise with his ult then Doomfist is fine.

jviggy43

That feeling you get when you and your friends go on a 10 game win streak. Praise be to the matchmaking gods for the randoms that have been serviceable but at least better than the enemy team.

Gorillaz

You know what's funny. Im over here playing this LawBreakers Beta thing from Cliffy B on the Sony Playstation 4 Home Entertainment Console and I go to the player list and see 2 options. One is mute and the other is report.

Maybe Overwatch is the RC cola and LB is the Coke Cola in this case

jviggy43

Roadhog wasn't overpowered, but his skill floor for being effective and getting kills was much lower than that of the DPS characters that should be focusing him down. So when low-ranked Hogs faced off against low-rank DPS, the DPS would either just get hooked endlessly all match or get frustrated and give up on trying to shoot him in favor of chasing down a Genji or some nonsense.

Like, ideally people would just learn basic positioning and the Roadhog problem would've disappeared, but people think they're already fantastic at the game and would rather see a "cheap" character get nerfed than have their assumptions challenged. So I think, at some level, the Roadhog nerf was Blizzard balancing around players' unwillingness to learn the game, rather than actual mechanical impact and efficacy.
All of this is spot on. People here argue that they nerfed him because players FELT like it was unfair or cheap, rather than actually being cheap. That is an incredibly silly way of saying "balance the game around players who don't want to learn the game".
theres just no counterplay to roadhog's mobility if he has a lucio speedboosting him. the moment you turn around to focus someone else or w/e, you re hooked. doomfist has to charge up to you and hes countered by so many things its not funny. what i love about df is his ability to punish careless dps heroes using ult. i killed so many genjis using blade on the ptr, same.for soldier and it felt really good

What mobility? If he was being speed boosted by lucio the whole team better be with him otherwise thats two free picks for your team. If Hog is flanking you, that should be a pick 10/10 times if your team is playing together. And if your attention isn't on where you are relative to the fight or a flanking hog, that again is the problem of the player not recognizing position and their surroundings of other players. Hog shouldn't be having success flanking given his low mobility and lack of defensive mechanisms. One call out and your team should converge and then you have a 6v5 situation to push with. And if hes flanking at the start of a fight, that means youre starting with a 6V5 advantage as well.

It took an entire afternoon of solo queue playing but I went 7-2 in competitive and finally breached Platinum. Now I only feel like slightly less of a drag on my GAF compadres if we do competitive.

First game was a loss and thought it was a bad omen, then I went on a 4 game winning streak, and then I almost quit after the second loss because there was a 3-stack who was just blaming everyone but themselves and being super toxic, and would refuse to play with more than one healer. So I was a little disheartened but every other match had been fine so I decided to keep going and won another 3 games in a row after that. Most everybody was pretty cool if they were in voice and very cooperative.

Also I did something I swore I would never do...I played Mercy twice in comp...and won both times. I feel ashamed. But I didn't hide and did tempo Rezzes so I figure I made up for it.

EDIT: Also I did predict I'd climb the week Doomfist was out since all the awful people would be in QP playing as Doomfist, and lo and behold...

Gamerdude99

Neo Member
Solo queue matchmaking hasnt improved at all. Im still in bronze yet consistently 4 KD and always push objectives hard.

I dont get why, if you lose, but do individually well, your ranking wont take such a hit? I was 30-4 in one recent game and still lost

I was wondering why I never hit hooks as much as I used to! I took a 2 year hiatus on this game and I still try to hook people over barriers and stuff.. didnt know you couldnt do it anymore

But yeah, roadhogs pitiful in my opinion. He was my main, and Im best with him, but picking him is a sure loss. Pretty much any character in the game just walks away from a super hard to hit hook

Not possible as the game hasn't been out that long. Hope you meant 2 months.

jviggy43

Solo queue matchmaking hasnt improved at all. Im still in bronze yet consistently 4 KD and always push objectives hard.

I dont get why, if you lose, but do individually well, your ranking wont take such a hit? I was 30-4 in one recent game and still lost

K/D doesn't really mean much in this game to be honest.

Started playing this a few weeks ago on the PC, how often do skins show up in the loot boxes you earn? Got to admit I'm getting a little tired of leveling up only to earn spray tags I never use and maybe a voice clip I'll never use.

Also, is there no story to this game in the actual game?
There's a lore that you can follow online. There was recently an improvement to the crate unboxing. Now you're not as likely to get duplicates in boxes.

My go to suggestion is to save up for skins, particularly around when the event may happen. We should maybe this week have some news on the upcoming event.

So all my purples so far since lootboxes 2.0(5)have been coins, and my single legendary drop was coins as well.

Seems the added coin drop was mainly for purples and legendaries.

I'm almost at 14k so let's get this event goin blizz.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
People here argue that they nerfed him because players FELT like it was unfair or cheap, rather than actually being cheap. That is an incredibly silly way of saying "balance the game around players who don't want to learn the game".

I should add that I don't think that this kind of balancing is an invalid choice on Blizzard's part, necessarily. It's just a reality that a huge percentage of the player base isn't going to learn all the ins and outs of the game, and an undertuned Roadhog makes the game more fun for those players and the folks stuck on teams with them. It's the same reason why they've been so hesitant to buff defense heroes, and it's why Dhalsim usually ends up being low-tier in Street Fighter.

That said, I do hope they can find a way to limit Roadhog's frustration factor without utterly destroying his winrate. Right now he's competing with Ana and Widowmaker for worst winrate in the game.

MCD

I hate zarya so much right now. Can't do anything to escape her ult unless someone counters with a healing ult or res.

Fuck this. Absolutely disgusting.

randome

So all my purples so far since lootboxes 2.0(5)have been coins, and my single legendary drop was coins as well.

I've noticed that too with purples--almost always seems to be coins.

Blunoise

hey guys Im new to overwatch and was just wondering what mains should i focus on for competitive? Righ now i use D.va, mei, lucio, and zeny are those good to stick with? also is console gaming in the competitive scene or is it mainly PC that goes to the big tourneys? thanks

Jellie

hey guys Im new to overwatch and was just wondering what mains should i focus on for competitive? Righ now i use D.va, mei, lucio, and zeny are those good to stick with? also is console gaming in the competitive scene or is it mainly PC that goes to the big tourneys? thanks
Dva lucio and zen are really good right now. Mei is pretty bad but can work on certain maps in ranked play (Hanamura defence and Nepal village). Console has some tournaments but are miniscule compared to PC. The largest PC tournament just had its grand final on Saturday which might be worth watching. Lunatic Hai VS Kungdoo Panthera in Apex season 3 grand final if interested.

Paltheos

Bad luck I'm guessing. I've had 3 legendaries so far, all new skins. I don't know how many epics but... 1? 2? coin drops.

Bad luck I'm guessing. I've had 3 legendaries so far, all new skins. I don't know how many epics but... 1? 2? coin drops.

I'm fine with it, I rather the coins for the event items honestly. Just something I noticed is all, but rng gonna rng.

I'm level 400+ so anything I've wanted I already have.

Blues1990

At lower ranks (Bronze-High Silver/Low Gold), play your best heroes. Don't just play X hero because "We need X hero, can you play them?" from a teammate. Learn one Hero at a time, and minimally one from each category. Since you got D.Va (Tank), Lucio & Zenyatta (Support), I'd suggest learning to play Soldier 76 in the Offense Class, as he's an easy to pick up hero from that group & is overall a pretty flexible character to play as.

Learning another tank will also help, such as Winston or Reinhardt, but I'd look up guides for using them effectively, as I've seen way too many Reinhardt and Winston players just charge in on their own and die a quick, horrible death. Overwatch Central has a solid Master Guide series of videos on the heroes, so it's worth watching them to get some good tips. This guy has some solid guides on Lucio's wall ride mechanic, so go and watch them and practice to get competent with it.

If you need any other tips, feel free to ask.

I hate zarya so much right now. Can't do anything to escape her ult unless someone counters with a healing ult or res.

Fuck this. Absolutely disgusting.

I save my Zen ult for only this if she's in the game. Guaranteed there's a Genji, Reaper, D.Va, and/or Hanzo, just waiting to take advantage of it.

Although I've never had anything happen like what happened to Antitrop in his highlight.

At lower ranks (Bronze-High Silver/Low Gold), play your best heroes. Don't just play X hero because "We need X hero, can you play them?" from a teammate. Learn one Hero at a time, and minimally one from each category. Since you got D.Va (Tank), Lucio & Zenyatta (Support), I'd suggest learning to play Soldier 76 in the Offense Class, as he's an easy to pick up hero from that group & is overall a pretty flexible character to play as.

Learning another tank will also help, such as Winston or Reinhardt, but I'd look up guides for using them effectively, as I've seen way too many Reinhardt and Winston players just charge in on their own and die a quick, horrible death. Overwatch Central has a solid Master Guide series of videos on the heroes, so it's worth watching them to get some good tips. This guy has some solid guides on Lucio's wall ride mechanic, so go and watch them and practice to get competent with it.

Skip the Defense heroes until you have 2 in each of the others. There are almost always better options.
The rest is really good advice, but it really matters where you're placed SR-wise. Advice is very different for Silver as opposed to Diamond, say.

Owzers

It took an entire afternoon of solo queue playing but I went 7-2 in competitive and finally breached Platinum. Now I only feel like slightly less of a drag on my GAF compadres if we do competitive.

First game was a loss and thought it was a bad omen, then I went on a 4 game winning streak, and then I almost quit after the second loss because there was a 3-stack who was just blaming everyone but themselves and being super toxic, and would refuse to play with more than one healer. So I was a little disheartened but every other match had been fine so I decided to keep going and won another 3 games in a row after that. Most everybody was pretty cool if they were in voice and very cooperative.

Also I did something I swore I would never do...I played Mercy twice in comp...and won both times. I feel ashamed. But I didn't hide and did tempo Rezzes so I figure I made up for it.

EDIT: Also I did predict I'd climb the week Doomfist was out since all the awful people would be in QP playing as Doomfist, and lo and behold...

Platinum...but also a rival Mercy main. At least you're not a Lucio main.

Blues1990

Skip the Defense heroes until you have 2 in each of the others. There are almost always better options.
The rest is really good advice, but it really matters where you're placed SR-wise. Advice is very different for Silver as opposed to Diamond, say.

Definitely, but given that we don't know much about this players experience with FPS's (and he/she has mentioned they are new to the game), I'm going on a limb to assume said player will be placed pretty low and I'm offering advice for that bracket.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
First game of comp of the day and a duo throws because they one guy doesn't get to play Widow. Fucking Christ

Blunoise

Dva lucio and zen are really good right now. Mei is pretty bad but can work on certain maps in ranked play (Hanamura defence and Nepal village). Console has some tournaments but are miniscule compared to PC. The largest PC tournament just had its grand final on Saturday which might be worth watching. Lunatic Hai VS Kungdoo Panthera in Apex season 3 grand final if interested.

Ah ok thanks guys. I think I will go with pharah for offensive, I wish some of the newer characters were good, I heard they were bad

Veelk

Banned
Ah ok thanks guys. I think I will go with pharah for offensive, I wish some of the newer characters were good, I heard they were bad

Not at all.

Ana has been functionally OP before everything went dive comp. I would say she still is, she's just not good in this particular meta, but her healing and general kit is still very strong.

Sombra isn't a strong DPS, but with a tiny bit of teamwork, her hacking is incredibly powerful and can determine entire teamfights.

Orisa isn't bad, she's just very unremarkable for a lot of different reasons.

And Doomfist is generally agreed to be a tad OP at this moment.

Definitely, but given that we don't know much about this players experience with FPS's (and he/she has mentioned they are new to the game), I'm going on a limb to assume said player will be placed pretty low and I'm offering advice for that bracket.

Oh, totally, I was trying to get him to give us his SR so we could tailor some specific advice, it wasn't a dig at you at all.

Trying to figure out why none of the regular PS4GAF are on at the regular time...oh because I'm one of the few people on earth that doesn't watch Game of Thrones I guess.

Platinum...but also a rival Mercy main. At least you're not a Lucio main.

Isn't that what you wanted? A sea of Mercy mains?

I'm one of the few people on earth that doesn't watch Game of Thrones I guess.

There's 2 of us.

Jumped up 100+sr after this fuckin flu finally went away. I really shouldn't have been playing while mildly hallucinating from cold medicine pain killers and some crucial as fuck bud.

I can't lie tho, it was fun as a bitch.

BigDug13

Not at all.

Ana has been functionally OP before everything went dive comp. I would say she still is, she's just not good in this particular meta, but her healing and general kit is still very strong.

Sombra isn't a strong DPS, but with a tiny bit of teamwork, her hacking is incredibly powerful and can determine entire teamfights.

Orisa isn't bad, she's just very unremarkable for a lot of different reasons.

And Doomfist is generally agreed to be a tad OP at this moment.

If you think of Sombra as support and not DPS her damage is good. She provides healing for your team and heal denial for enemy team and hacking support. She should have been put into support.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Genji is a weird hero. It seems like he is useless to the team in 99% of the games I play, but there's always that one random game where the Genji player dominates. I guess every hero has this (played an unstoppable Junkrat earlier), but with Genji I often wonder just how high that goddamn skill ceiling is. Is he actually a valuable hero in competitive nowadays to the point where you shouldn't just go for someone like Soldier? 9.9/10 times someone is using Genji at my SR (Gold) it seems like they'd fare better with literally any other attack hero. It's kind of disheartening for someone like me who wishes he could handle the bastard.

Hanzo is becoming the reason I don't want to play this game anymore.

Every game where I have to go up against one is insufferable for me. Like at this point I don't care if I succeed in defeating him most times, I'm miserable just dealing with him.

jviggy43

Hanzo is becoming the reason I don't want to play this game anymore.

Every game where I have to go up against one is insufferable for me. Like at this point I don't care if I succeed in defeating him most times, I'm miserable just dealing with him.

What you don't like getting one shot by an ability that doesn't even hit you?

Genji is a weird hero. It seems like he is useless to the team in 99% of the games I play, but there's always that one random game where the Genji player dominates. I guess every hero has this (played an unstoppable Junkrat earlier), but with Genji I often wonder just how high that goddamn skill ceiling is. Is he actually a valuable hero in competitive nowadays to the point where you shouldn't just go for someone like Soldier? 9.9/10 times someone is using Genji at my SR (Gold) it seems like they'd fare better with literally any other attack hero. It's kind of disheartening for someone like me who wishes he could handle the bastard.

I don't know how good they are overall, but there are plenty of Gold Genjis who can wreck my Zen and the other healer 2 out of 3 times they try.

3 stacks who all go DPS are just the worst.
Or so I thought. Tonight I had a 3 stack who went all Defense, first three picks my team made. That we almost won upset me more than when they originally made their picks.

Veelk

Banned
I once had a genji that kept my entire team at the first choke point on Hanamura on attack. He just kept dashing in, getting a kill, then retreating behind the shield, over and over. Somehow, no one was ever able to put enough damage to kill him despite that I discorded him every time he stuck his neck out. I didn't see him die one time.

I don't know if he was just that good or if my team was just that shit.

Top Bottom