• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Azoor

I think he's pretty weak as is. The nerfs they did before he went live really hurt him. If a team just focuses fires on him for a bit, he goes down really fast.

The charged punch is his only real asset aside from Meteor Strike. He can be very useful to quickly get in and out situations like Genji.

LiK

The charged punch is his only real asset aside from Meteor Strike. He can be very useful to quickly get in and out situations like Genji.

I feel like his Ult isn't as great as I thought. It seems the kills don't happen unless people are directly in the center. People on the edge survive too easily. Everyone just runs away anyway. I really wish it was more instant when you click Confirm. There's lil a bit of delay to it. I'm gonna practice with his Ult more in Practice Range to make myself get used to it more.

i started back in comp. my reticle feels floaty when i move. missing my shots with ana now. RIP.

Probably need to readjust the sensitivity.

I feel like his Ult isn't as great as I thought. It seems the kills don't happen unless people are directly in the center. People on the edge survive too easily. Everyone just runs away anyway. I really wish it was more instant when you click Confirm. There's lil a bit of delay to it. I'm gonna practice with his Ult more in Practice Range to make myself get used to it more.

Do you think you might be playing too aggressive with him? I've had more success keeping heroes off the back line than I have had initiating fights. His ult is a pretty fantastic initiation tool to get a pick on a support, but I think all of us need to get more comfortable with it to do it consistently.

LiK

Do you think you might be playing too aggressive with him? I've had more success keeping heroes off the back line than I have had initiating fights. His ult is a pretty fantastic initiation tool to get a pick on a support, but I think all of us need to get more comfortable with it to do it consistently.

Been trying both types of play with him. Results have varied. I think I'll focus more on backlines and see how he does. Maybe I'll play him more like Genji but trying to escape with him is a bit tougher for me. I wish he could climb walls, lol.

I agree about using the Ult on Supports. It's a pretty easy way to get Zen to panic Ult. It's like clockwork every time I get that target on them specifically. If people use it to initiate and cause people to panic Ult to save themselves, people can def do a follow-up Ult to clean up the rest.

LiK

Sty finally released a Comp rant video showing examples from his own games. Of course, we've all been there to some degree.

Sty finally released a Comp rant video showing examples from his own games. Of course, we've all been there to some degree.

Just goes to show you that no matter where you are in the comp rankings, you're gonna run into it. I use to blame my lack of getting to Diamond on it, but really it's just me not playing enough and trying to flex pick more than just playing what I'm best at.

With that being said, Zarya's good again so I need to get in on comp...

Blues1990

I generally keep my mouse sensitivity at 6.50 for all the heroes across the board (and my mouse speed is set to 1800 DPI), but is there any benefit to increase/decrease the aiming speed for certain heroes?

I generally keep my mouse sensitivity at 6.50 for all the heroes across the board (and my mouse speed is set to 1800 DPI), but is there any benefit to increase/decrease the aiming speed for certain heroes?

I don't play on PC but I have heard that for aim intensive heroes low sensitivity is best and for heroes like Winston and D.Va high sensitivity is best.

Veelk

Banned
I genuinely think being able to share ult charge between heroes would mitigate a lot of the problems Sty brings up regarding mains.

It's strange that a game that is theoretically supposed to encourage character switching would lack this feature, since if people have an ult ready or even if they only have a large percentage built up, it's more worth it for them to hope they can get a game changing play with it than to switch to another hero and hope they can clean up their problems like that.

I don't know how it'd be for PC, but it would drive me crazy on consoles. I try to make my control schemes as universal as I possibly can. So when I put Jump on R2 for Genji, it kinda messed me up with my other heroes. But now I have Jump for R2 on nearly everyone (except Reinhardt) and it just feels overall better. Trying to have a different sensitivity for my heroes would probably mess me up more than anything.

Idk what my mouse dpi is set to. But in game it's 4 for most heroes. Lucio I generally keep it around 6. I used to have it higher because i just wrist it all because of smaller mouse area. Lol

I genuinely think being able to share ult charge between heroes would mitigate a lot of the problems Sty brings up regarding mains.

It's strange that a game that is theoretically supposed to encourage character switching would lack this feature, since if people have an ult ready or even if they only have a large percentage built up, it's more worth it for them to hope they can get a game changing play with it than to switch to another hero and hope they can clean up their problems like that.

Only issue with shared ult charge between heroes right now is that different heroes have different charge rates. A mercy or sombra can get charge fast and they can just switch off and blast an ult into the enemy team. If you equalize all charge rates you end up with chars being far less useful because their main advantage of being able to use ults fast is out the window.

It leads to a whole different set of problems which I don't think blizzard can figure out.

Veelk

Banned
Only issue with shared ult charge between heroes right now is that different heroes have different charge rates. A mercy or sombra can get charge fast and they can just switch off and blast an ult into the enemy team. If you equalize all charge rates you end up with chars being far less useful because their main advantage of being able to use ults fast is out the window.

It leads to a whole different set of problems which I don't think blizzard can figure out.

That's true. The only solution to that is to fiddle around with the numbers of the charge required for an ultimate.

Or, failing that, maybe make it so you only lose a percentage of your ult charge rather than the whole thing.

_Legacy_

Sty brings up legit points, we've all faced similar situations. Sad thing is, unless something is done to address the toxicity/leavers/throwers, it will get worse next season.

Only thing I can suggest is to run a 3/4 stack so at least you have the majority of the team. Doesn't always work of course but having at least 4 people in a group can help with communication and synergy. I two stacked a lot last season with mostly success, it's not worked like that at all this season because of the randoms who seem to want to sabotage as soon as something isn't working for them.

The babysitting thing is also true but worse on console because there is no in-game chat. I've directly messaged people before not to give up and sometimes we pull it back, sometimes you don't but you have to at least try.

I think I've played around 50% less in this season, compared to last. I'm not sure I know anyone who is actually playing comp regularly anymore.

Veelk

Banned
The babysitting thing is also true but worse on console because there is no in-game chat. I've directly messaged people before not to give up and sometimes we pull it back, sometimes you don't but you have to at least try.

Do you have a PS4 Pro? Because I've tried that (to get stacked teams to get into team chat), and because of how slow moving through menus can be (including the oddly long loadtime to send a message), I've had situations where it seemed that my PS4 all but froze and I was worried I was going to get kicked for inactivity. It's really weird. It just takes WAY longer than you'd think to go to social, then profile, then send message, write the message, send the actual message, then get back into the game.

_Legacy_

Do you have a PS4 Pro? Because I've tried that (to get stacked teams to get into team chat), and because of how slow moving through menus can be (including the oddly long loadtime to send a message), I've had situations where it seemed that my PS4 all but froze and I was worried I was going to get kicked for inactivity. It's really weird. It just takes WAY longer than you'd think to go to social, then profile, then send message, write the message, send the actual message, then get back into the game.

I play on XB1, it's far easier to get a group chat going.

MCD

Still playing everyday.

But unlike before, I usually wait for a mercy main to go online and team up with him/her. I find matches easier with a good Mercy on my side.

exYle

Dummy is a former NRG player.

He might not have been the best Ana, but it's still sad how badly he got witch hunted.

That's true. The only solution to that is to fiddle around with the numbers of the charge required for an ultimate.

Or, failing that, maybe make it so you only lose a percentage of your ult charge rather than the whole thing.

But here's the thing. If you look at the OW wiki, there are 'charge points.' I don't know if that's a unit the wiki used to measure how long it takes to build an ult, or if it's actually a behind the curtain number, but just like how each hero's ult charges differently, the ult point number is different. Meaning if Mercy takes 1625 charge points and Zarya takes 1875, if a Mercy player with her ult switched to Zarya, a new system in place could theoretically put the Zarya at only 85% of her ult. Obviously, numbers could be tweaked, but I think the infrastructure is already there.

Tawpgun

Not sure about high level play, but on consoles Doomfist does pretty well in an organized team. If you have a zarya to bubble him, and some kind of healing, he can be very good.

LiK

Not sure about high level play, but on consoles Doomfist does pretty well in an organized team. If you have a zarya to bubble him, and some kind of healing, he can be very good.

Barely anyone plays Zarya in my QP games so nope.

exYle

Care to provide what happened to him? It's been a while, but why is he not with NRG anymore? And a witch hunt? What?

I can only speak for the competitive Overwatch Reddit, but it seems like outside of that and a few Discord channels, that's the most active community following the pro OW scene.

Ever since NRG became NRG, it seems they've always had an issue with one or two players being the punching bag for the rest of the team. I remember it was Gods when he was on the team. I think there was some of it directed towards Clockwork too. But Dummy got so much vitriol directed his way.

Basically, before Seagull left, and I think before Harb and IDDQD signed on, whenever NRG played someone would draw attention to Dummy's poor plays and decision making. Eventually this narrative caught on, and it followed him for months. People would blame all of NRGs poor performances on him, and claim that they needed a better off-support to win more. Eventually Dummy was ousted from the team, which was pretty recent.

I have everyone set to 10 but I keep Mercy at 13 @ 400 DPI. I rarely shoot my gun as Mercy unless the moment is just right.

Mercy is the only hero and possibly Rein that I can think of that would be better to have increased sensitivity.

Blues1990

I don't play on PC but I have heard that for aim intensive heroes low sensitivity is best and for heroes like Winston and D.Va high sensitivity is best.

I don't know how it'd be for PC, but it would drive me crazy on consoles. I try to make my control schemes as universal as I possibly can. So when I put Jump on R2 for Genji, it kinda messed me up with my other heroes. But now I have Jump for R2 on nearly everyone (except Reinhardt) and it just feels overall better. Trying to have a different sensitivity for my heroes would probably mess me up more than anything.

Idk what my mouse dpi is set to. But in game it's 4 for most heroes. Lucio I generally keep it around 6. I used to have it higher because i just wrist it all because of smaller mouse area. Lol

I have everyone set to 10 but I keep Mercy at 13 @ 400 DPI. I rarely shoot my gun as Mercy unless the moment is just right.

Mercy is the only hero and possibly Rein that I can think of that would be better to have increased sensitivity.

Okay, thank you all for providing feedback. I'll mess around to see if anything sticks.

I can only speak for the competitive Overwatch Reddit, but it seems like outside of that and a few Discord channels, that's the most active community following the pro OW scene.

Ever since NRG became NRG, it seems they've always had an issue with one or two players being the punching bag for the rest of the team. I remember it was Gods when he was on the team. I think there was some of it directed towards Clockwork too. But Dummy got so much vitriol directed his way.

Basically, before Seagull left, and I think before Harb and IDDQD signed on, whenever NRG played someone would draw attention to Dummy's poor plays and decision making. Eventually this narrative caught on, and it followed him for months. People would blame all of NRGs poor performances on him, and claim that they needed a better off-support to win more. Eventually Dummy was ousted from the team, which was pretty recent.

Okay, that is pretty unfair. I've seen a lot of professional players make dumb decisions or poor plays.

I feel like he needs it so he crashes down instantly, but he can't crash down in his initial radius, to prevent him just Meteor Striking where he's standing.
As it stands, he needs another ult going off as a distraction to land it, such as D.Va throwing in her ult onto a point to scatter them, then Doomfist trapping them between a rock and a hard place, so to speak..

LiK

I feel like he needs it so he crashes down instantly, but he can't crash down in his initial radius, to prevent him just Meteor Striking where he's standing.
As it stands, he needs another ult going off as a distraction to land it, such as D.Va throwing in her ult onto a point to scatter them, then Doomfist trapping them between a rock and a hard place, so to speak..

Yea, I was expecting something instant like Rein Hammer or Zarya grav but it takes like another second which gives certain heroes like Zen Ult or Reaper Wraith to escape too easily. Really annoying.

Veelk

Banned
Yea, I was expecting something instant like Rein Hammer or Zarya grav but it takes like another second which gives certain heroes like Zen Ult or Reaper Wraith to escape too easily. Really annoying.

I agree that Doomfist's ult is weaker than expected, but if it was instant, it'd be a lot more BS because it will do insta-kill damage at the center of where he lands.

Which might not be an issue by itself as it is an ultimate, but there is the fact that it is currently uncounterable. If they want it to be instant, then there should be some way to stop him.

Had some quick play matches with the team synergy and ferocity of a great competitive match, what a glorious shift from the norm.
Terrifying Hanzo on the other team, the kind of guy who can get 5 kills with 4 arrows and then a scatter without missing a beat.
New and improved gravitron led to quintuple kill dragons on both sides of the match.

LiK

I agree that Doomfist's ult is weaker than expected, but if it was instant, it'd be a lot more BS because it will do insta-kill damage at the center of where he lands.

Which might not be an issue by itself as it is an ultimate, but there is the fact that it is currently uncounterable. If they want it to be instant, then there should be some way to stop him.

I feel like that you're able to hear his Ult voice clearly and also need time to aim it so you still have a lot of time when you see the large target radius to escape. Even Mei's Ult seems faster than his Ult. It needs to just initiate a lil faster, imo. So far, the only successful 3+ kills I've seen with it requires Zarya's Ult and it doesn't even guarantee kills.

LiK

I think what I'm saying is I think his Ult could be improved/tweaked. Who knows, maybe they'll work on it if the community complains.

I feel like that you're able to hear his Ult voice clearly and also need time to aim it so you still have a lot of time when you see the large target radius to escape. Even Mei's Ult seems faster than his Ult. It needs to just initiate a lil faster, imo. So far, the only successful 3+ kills I've seen with it requires Zarya's Ult and it doesn't even guarantee kills.

Yeah I don't think I've been killed by a DF ult ever. I been dumpstering on him in QP as well with McCree.

Speaking of QP, I always go up against diamonds and masters...but I'm a gold, the fuck sense does that make.

LiK

Doomfist is available to pick in Competitive now.

Godspeed.

Yeah I don't think I've been killed by a DF ult ever. I been dumpstering on him in QP as well with McCree.

Speaking of QP, I always go up against diamonds and masters...but I'm a gold, the fuck sense does that make.

you might have a better MMR than your SR. I've played against Masters and GMs in QP. They're no fun to play against, lol

20622112_10159170308175475_6602923118840918844_n.jpg

Why is this allowed to happen. Previous match got even paired with diamond players carrying silvers and gold

In a game where so much shit is happening at the same time it's so dumb to just blame a single player.

But even the casters are at fault too in this regard, when I'm seeing a game sometimes they keep shitting on some players.

Veelk

Banned
The main thing I'm looking forward to in the summer games while also kind of being afraid of is weapon skins.

I'd love to customize some of my skins for weapons, but I'm gonna hate all the people who don't care how bad one skin looks with another costume.

Jellie

I mean there is a reason he got shat on. He did a lot of questionable plays. Not just simple bad decision making but leaving his back line and rein to die to go one v one enemy ana in the front line and get murdered instantly is the first one I can think of off the top of my head. He was good mechanically but did lots of stupid shit.

Top Bottom