• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

HiiiLife

I think the only thing just as worse as people who lock DPS (who also suck incessantly) are the players who refuse to switch. regardless of the role.

Blues1990

Gosh, the main thing I've learned playing Doomfist is that there are a ton of players who absolutely refuse to play anything but DPS. The amount of folks I've seen pick Genji as our 4th DPS, or just plain throw because their DPS spot got taken, is out of control.

Even if they designed a bad ass Tank or Support Hero, no one would pick it, all because they wouldn't go pew-pew-pew or ka-blam.

MCD

I think the only thing just as worse as people who lock DPS (who also suck incessantly) are the players who refuse to switch. regardless of the role.

I played with a guy named DPSNoSwitch on Xbox. He played Torb for three rounds on Ilios.

We lost.

Blues1990

You're probably right. Masculinity is really weird.

It's a multitude of factors than just masculinity. Ego, wanting to become the next big thing (after watching several popular DPS streamers), thinking they will get better if they keep hitting themselves against a brick wall (without learning some core fundamentals), etc.

Also, while Support classes have long been considered the most crucial element to secure victory (MOBA's like League of Legends and DOTA 2 have spiced up the tools of supports through variety and more nuanced mechanics, and the team behind Overwatch addresses that problem in intelligent ways), they’re under-appreciated and sometimes under-played. And why not? While DPS are out making huge plays, supports tend to lurk in the back or to the sides, healing, buffing, and shielding. Their jobs are equal parts stressful and inglorious, & unless if they're doing their job poorly, they are easily taken for granted & most of the blame is placed on them for a crappy performance that may not have entirely been their fault.

Besides, most DPS and Tank players think such roles are that to people who ensure wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing tube men ad displays don’t soar into traffic and cause the most hilarious tragedy of 2017. While players can vote to show their appreciation after matches, they’re not always incentivized to cooperate with or even focus on supports mid-match that produces results.

Also, I've found that some players (especially newer ones) are simply confused by the likes of Ana, Lucio, Symmetra, & Zenyatta. Mercy's role is easy enough to figure out, but their roles aren't as clearly defined, not to mention pretty much everyone else in the game.

Theorry

It's a multitude of factors than just masculinity. Ego, wanting to become the next big thing (after watching several popular DPS streamers), thinking they will get better if they keep hitting themselves against a brick wall (without learning some core fundamentals), etc.

Also, while Support classes have long been considered the most crucial element to secure victory (MOBA's like League of Legends and DOTA 2 have spiced up the tools of supports through variety and more nuanced mechanics, and the team behind Overwatch addresses that problem in intelligent ways), they’re under-appreciated and sometimes under-played. And why not? While DPS are out making huge plays, supports tend to lurk in the back or to the sides, healing, buffing, and shielding. Their jobs are equal parts stressful and inglorious, & unless if they're doing their job poorly, they are easily taken for granted & most of the blame is placed on them for a crappy performance that may not have entirely been their fault.

Besides, most DPS and Tank players think such roles are that to people who ensure wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing tube men ad displays don’t soar into traffic and cause the most hilarious tragedy of 2017. While players can vote to show their appreciation after matches, they’re not always incentivized to cooperate with or even focus on supports mid-match that produces results.

Also, I've found that some players (especially newer ones) are simply confused by the likes of Ana, Lucio, Symmetra, & Zenyatta. Mercy's role is easy enough to figure out, but their roles aren't as clearly defined, not to mention pretty much everyone else in the game.

POTG is also a huge factor with some of those people.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
It's a multitude of factors than just masculinity.

You're right of course, I was being reductive. And in a lot of ways fault lies with Blizzard for not doing a better job of highlighting the impact that Supports have on each match. Like, even just with medals, there's 3 related to damage/kills and only one for healing, despite most games having an equal number of Supports and DPS.

Also, I've found that some players (especially newer ones) are simply confused by the likes of Ana, Lucio, Symmetra, & Zenyatta. Mercy's role is easy enough to figure out, but their roles aren't as clearly defined.

This is valid as well, but you'd hope folks who have dozens or hundreds of hours invested in this game would've branched out a bit and learned some of the other roles.

I dunno, I guess my frustration ultimately just stems from Competitive being full of folks who aren't playing to win. I understand that people just want to mess around and have fun and that's totally fine! But a whole mode already exists for that, and their super-cool attack Torb makes Competitive less fun for everyone else who's trying to work as a team and play the objective.

POTG is also a huge factor with some of those people.

Yup this is a point worth thinking about.
Consider how with one solid ult the likes of Genji or McCree can sail to an easy PotG, the player doesn't even have to be that good in all honesty, my Genji play is both rare and sub par and I've been able to carve my way to a few PotG with Dragonblade.

Meanwhile I play as Ana quite a lot and I've still yet to ever get a PotG as her, even when i'm having a 20 second flurry of team mate saving, enemy ult sleeping (this one never being considered cheeses me something fierce, I have saved lives so much like this and the game gives no fucks) and nanoboosting madness, the game wont take that into account but it will consider say a Genji who burns his dragonblade on three people who aren't even near the objective.

Widow is another one where she can smash out a real solid sharpshooter PotG on the losing team but in reality none of those plays were actually helping halt the payload from sailing into the point.

In general I'm sure we all like the buzz you get from being PotG, but when I consider how heavily weighted it is in favour of DPS ults, the sheer amount of "Ryūjin no ken o kurae!" finales highlighted, well you can see why certain characters are always being locked into quick play.
And it in turn can just reinforce these people to believe that they were indeed that super carrying player, even if say the DPS only jumped up to the gold kills medal AFTER slumming it all game long until they pulled off that one ult.

Theorry

Consider how with one solid ult the likes of Genji or McCree can sail to an easy PotG, the player doesn't even have to be that good in all honesty, my Genji play is both rare and sub par and I've been able to carve my way to a few PotG with Dragonblade.

Meanwhile I play as Ana quite a lot and I've still yet to ever get a PotG as her, even when i'm having a 20 second flurry of team mate saving, enemy ult sleeping (this one never being considered cheeses me something fierce, I have saved lives so much like this and the game gives no fucks) and nanoboosting madness, the game wont take that into account but it will consider say a Genji who burns his dragonblade on three people who aren't even near the objective.

Widow is another one where she can smash out a real solid sharpshooter PotG on the losing team but in reality none of those plays were actually helping halt the payload from sailing into the point.

In general I'm sure we all like the buzz you get from being PotG, but when I consider how heavily weighted it is in favour of DPS ults, the sheer amount of "Ryūjin no ken o kurae!" finales highlighted, well you can see why certain characters are always being locked into quick play.
And it in turn can just reinforce these people to believe that they were indeed that super carrying player, even if say the DPS only jumped up to the gold kills medal AFTER slumming it all game long until they pulled off that one ult.

Yeah. I play Lucio alot and i only get POTG when i boop 2 or more people off.

kurahador

I remember nano-boosted a Genji with Ana and managed to get triple kill by last hitting the enemies he slashed with nade, even kill feed clearly said I killed them.

POTG? Genji with that exact kill. The fuck.

Yeah. I play Lucio alot and i only get POTG when i boop 2 or more people off.

On this note, sometimes you get people taking the healing role as Lucio playing with such intent to bop people off stage for the PotG that they aren't actually healing or speed-boosting anyone but themselves half the time.

Cappa

Banned
I just want people to at least attempt to win, I know I'll run into throwers in comp, but holy shit. My PC experience has been much worse thus far compared to my PS4 experience as far as the players go.

from what I see/hear PC comp is just as shit, if not worse, unless youre at the GM level and even then there is still a substantial amount of bad games.

Theorry

Did they say anything yet about Doomfist his hitbox? Because that fist has a way to large hitbox. People miss all the time but for some reason you still get hit.

HiiiLife

What is it with PC players being so snobby toward console players?

There's no more evidence I need to confirm that you're a neck beard with silly shit like that lol.

Owzers

Gosh, the main thing I've learned playing Doomfist is that there are a ton of players who absolutely refuse to play anything but DPS. The amount of folks I've seen pick Genji as our 4th DPS, or just plain throw because their DPS spot got taken, is out of control.

Mercy, one tank, four dps new meta.

Blues1990

IIRC the New Year event had some leaks a couple of nights before the event. They happened to be sourced from I believe the Chinese servers?

In retrospect, I found it funny that people found those leaks to be questionable and thought they were incredibly elaborate fakes.

You're right of course, I was being reductive. And in a lot of ways fault lies with Blizzard for not doing a better job of highlighting the impact that Supports have on each match. Like, even just with medals, there's 3 related to damage/kills and only one for healing, despite most games having an equal number of Supports and DPS.

This is valid as well, but you'd hope folks who have dozens or hundreds of hours invested in this game would've branched out a bit and learned some of the other roles.

I dunno, I guess my frustration ultimately just stems from Competitive being full of folks who aren't playing to win. I understand that people just want to mess around and have fun and that's totally fine! But a whole mode already exists for that, and their super-cool attack Torb makes Competitive less fun for everyone else who's trying to work as a team and play the objective.

People's attitude to their healers are hard to understand, namely DPS players. Maybe there is something else at play, but I rarely had this issue when playing the PS4 version, where people were fairly nice and understanding to their healers. On PC, it's the total opposite and people will shit talk you no matter how good you are.

When people ask for healing and both healers are down, I REALLY wish the game would automatically make the character who pushed the "I need healing" button say something like:

"Our healers are dead, I'll need to find a health pack."

Why? Because there are a lot of players who will mute their team, in voice chat, in text and their chat wheel. But will still hit the heal me button, and you just can't communicate back and that is insanely frustrating. If the game told them themselves they need to find a health pack, you can't mute your own character's shout outs.

AngryMoth

Anyone know how match making works on ps4 with regard to regions? Is it IP based? Moving to china this week and wondering if I'll need to make an asian psn account to avoid high ping

Cappa

Banned
Anyone know how match making works on ps4 with regard to regions? Is it IP based? Moving to china this week and wondering if I'll need to make an asian psn account to avoid high ping
I play on a US psn account and I live in Europe the game matches you in the region your ip is.

It's Sunday AKA throwers day.

To comp or not to comp...
Even quick play is worse than usual today I'll warn you now.

5 DPS/snipers and one healer meta! (Of course I'm the healer, sometimes I get to play tank!)

Edit-
I've lost seven games of doomfist elimination straight trying to get my last arcade box, maybe it's time to stop playing

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

This is great feedback. What would you as a player want to see done to expand on POTGs and how they're rewarded?

Thewonandonly

Damn I'm so sick of people playing doomfist wrong or at least in my opinion it is.

The first incident is when I pick doomfist on defense on I think Anubis or somethign. This fucker starts yelling at me about how doomfist is trash on defense. I try to calmly tell him "doomfist is a anii flanker your sapose to fuck up the tracer or genji in the back lines". He comes back " no you stupid fuck it says attack so he is a fucking attack and since you said that I know you fucking suck as him so imma just play widowmkaer and be better then you. I had 4 golds on defense while he sucked. Changed on attack to pharaoh and we won but come on bro.

Then just today I had someone pick him on KoTH. Allright cool stick back and take out the flankers once we capture the point. Nope he decides he wants to be frontline and initiate every battle. Dude was constintaly the first one to die in each battle. Wouldnt have one of me as reaper and are soilder didn't go ape shit.

GUYS I KNOW DOOMFIST SAYS ATTACK BUT HE FUCKIMG SUCKS AT IT!!!! TWO OR MORE POEPLE NEAR YOU AND YOUR DEAD UNLESS BY TANKS.

DONT FLANK STICK WITH TANK!
DONT FLANK STICK WITH TANK!

Theorry

This is great feedback. What would you as a player want to see done to expand on POTGs and how they're rewarded?

No so much focus on kills. I know its difficult to do. But yeah A Genji didnt maybe made those kills if Ana didnt boosted him or a Lucio did a soundbarrier.

Almost half the games I've played where someone's playing DoomFist, someone's like "Fuck DF, bring back Hog". C'mon Blizz, listen to the people

antitrop

People's attitude to their healers are hard to understand, namely DPS players. Maybe there is something else at play, but I rarely had this issue when playing the PS4 version, where people were fairly nice and understanding to their healers. On PC, it's the total opposite and people will shit talk you no matter how good you are.

When people ask for healing and both healers are down, I REALLY wish the game would automatically make the character who pushed the "I need healing" button say something like:

"Our healers are dead, I'll need to find a health pack."

Why? Because there are a lot of players who will mute their team, in voice chat, in text and their chat wheel. But will still hit the heal me button, and you just can't communicate back and that is insanely frustrating. If the game told them themselves they need to find a health pack, you can't mute your own character's shout outs.
I get insulted by Platinum and Diamond players in QP all the time for my healing, and I'm Grandmaster. :(

So many times I've been called a shit healer by people several ranks below me and then get a 40% damage healed card or some shit at the end of the match. People just want to be pocketed all the time, they're not actually paying attention to what's happening with the rest of the team.

I had a Platinum Genji the other day trying to tell me how I should be using Discord Orb. I'm pretty fucking sure I know how to use Discord Orb effectively, thanks Plat Genji.

I always like getting shit on for my healing, getting that 40% healed card, and then still get bitched at that I was apparently "only healing the tank".

Is there a way to turn off text chat altogether on PC?

I always like getting shit on for my healing, getting that 40% healed card, and then still get bitched at that I was apparently "only healing the tank".

Is there a way to turn off text chat altogether on PC?

Hit P then click the toggle for text chat boxes for team and all chat. You can disable everything really.

antitrop

What ever happened to the duo POTG Jeff talked about a couple seasons ago?

It's basically impossible to get POTG as Ana, the nano'd player ALWAYS gets it.

Only time I've ever got an Ana POTG was from throwing a nade into a 5-man Grav in a rather uneventful game.

Theorry

Finally convinced a buddy of mine a couple of days ago to do Comp. He isnt the best but he was just only playing QP because said he wasnt great. Told him is not really the way to play and comp is also if you are not very good. He is now in Silver and enjoying the game way more. With people atleast trying and not 5 dps in one team without a healer.

It's tricky to narrow this down because I'm aware that the team have mentioned in the past that they're looking or at least looked into other ways of approaching the algorithm that goes into PotG and I by no means have the knowledge as to how the bits and pieces work here.

In any case I think one of the ideas mentioned was to somehow denote any other players who may have had a sizeable hand in someone's PotG. Going back to Ana for instance, a nanoboost related PotG is something like "always the bridemaid, never the bride" for the support here if that makes sense, which can feel a bit deflating as the clip ends with Genji putting away his sword and teabagging his spray. Zarya also has an ult that can lead to incredibly strong team plays but PotG is more likely to sidestep her when it comes to the end of match clip unless she managed to dish out the bulk of the damage.

So in order to highlight the teamplay aspect of what goes into a game changing play I do wonder if it's possible that the PotG highlight intro segment could perhaps include the characters that assisted in a small way, as well as having something akin to the end of match cards dictating very succinctly why they're up there in a similar way to how Sharpshooter/Lifesaver can be highlighted (Zenyatta for instance could present Offensive/defensive assist, Orisa shield damage absorbed/ Halt assist/ damage boosted depending on circumstance).

In general I think it's important to highlight teamwork, often I think many of us may have a great moment be it a PotG contender or not, and as such we'll think "damn I'm good!". But often these moments, if you went back to watch will contain all manner of assists just out of sight that allowed that moment to take place, like a Torb turret pumping in that little bit more damage and the Lucio beat being pumped at the right moment to compliment soldier's sights managing to wipe a team.

I guess the current setup just tends to skew more towards situations that involve a lot of damage being dealt in a brief time (right down to knocking people off edges, coming to think if it that could warrant its own naming like Sharpshooter has at this point).

Thing is I could go on trying to figure out some optimal ideas that are pretty unrealistic here, such as should a DPS player who otherwise contributed very little to the match on the whole be weighted the same as the stronger teammates even with a triple kill high noon? on the support side of the coin, consider a Mercy who kept getting picked off due to poor placement managing to jam out one big revive because she strolled out of spawn at just the right moment, or the Lucio who had terrible healing but bopped two dudes off during the first minute of an Ilios match.

I figure I'll try and wrap this up with a short summary of my stream of consciousness, Put more emphasis on team working plays and ones that either saved or won a game, since the game is rarely one man show try to present that in PotG somehow, consider other categories alongside the likes of lifesaver and sharpshooter to mix things up and place less emphasis on big damage.

Of course I know this is all way easier said than done.

Shredderi

Coming from a long break, I immediately notice that no one uses tanks anymore. Almost literally. Most matches are without tanks at all from both sides? What happened? This new flanker only-cancer meta is ruining my life even more now.

Coming from a long break, I immediately notice that no one uses tanks anymore. Almost literally. Most matches are without tanks at all from both sides? What happened? This new flanker only-cancer meta is ruining my life even more now.

Hey...we can either have a tank or a healer, pick one. We sure as fuck can't have both.

Finally convinced a buddy of mine a couple of days ago to do Comp. He isnt the best but he was just only playing QP because said he wasnt great. Told him is not really the way to play and comp is also if you are not very good. He is now in Silver and enjoying the game way more. With people atleast trying and not 5 dps in one team without a healer.

Shit I see plenty of 5 dps team in gold still.

Top Bottom