• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Blues1990

I get insulted by Platinum and Diamond players in QP all the time for my healing, and I'm Grandmaster. :(

So many times I've been called a shit healer by people several ranks below me and then get a 40% damage healed card or some shit at the end of the match. People just want to be pocketed all the time, they're not actually paying attention to what's happening with the rest of the team.

I had a Platinum Genji the other day trying to tell me how I should be using Discord Orb. I'm pretty fucking sure I know how to use Discord Orb effectively, thanks Plat Genji.

Yeah, people flinging insults are the worst. And in your case, they'll insult you even if you are able to keep your team alive 90% of the time.

So dumb.

This is great feedback. What would you as a player want to see done to expand on POTGs and how they're rewarded?
I am not super knowledgeable about how PotG is calculated. Is it some kind of math formula based on damage and healing?

If so, I would like you to consider two changes:
1) A multiplier < 1 for ult damage and healing. In most of my games, the PotG is just an ult that happened to kill three people. That might be the most damage done, but it becomes stale to watch these go off over and over. Watching a much explode for the 300th time isn't very exciting. Sure, sometimes that's the best play and needs to be shown, but less frequency would be nice.

2) As far as I can tell, capturing the objective doesn't factor into the PotG. If a play leads to an objective getting captured, I think that should be factored in. Sometimes we are at 0 seconds on the clock and I ult two people to win the match. I think that is worth more than a random ult that killed three but led to nothing.

I also think this game desperately needs Unranked mode like HotS.

So this is not just me? Something really has changed? So much attackers.

People stopped caring. This season has literally been the worst one and has beaten people down into only wanting to goof off. I keep running into random one shot mains who will only play their chosen character. Now it is Torb in every game with 3 other DPS. Even on payload maps they are playing as if it is deathmatch. Comp is really about the same as QP just longer matches.

On top of that I am tired of the n-word being dropped in chat every match. I keep reporting, but have no clue if that does anything.

Anne

I've started to get the impression that Blizzard is balancing/designing the game more around the fact that "maining" characters seems to be the way most players approach the game.

I've started to get the impression that Blizzard is balancing/designing the game more around the fact that "maining" characters seems to be the way most players approach the game.

Except the matchmaker. It will give you 5 dps mains almost every single game.

It really can't be that tough to put support, tank, dps mains together...can it?

It really can't be that tough to put support, tank, dps mains together...can it?

I would prefer a queuing system where you pick your character then it matches to appropriate players and classes. Seems like it would lead to less frustrating matches.

Theorry

Doing some placements on my secondary account.
How is this fair?

4c9fd41b-ddf9-40d4-9f6xshv.png

I would prefer a queuing system where you pick your character then it matches to appropriate players and classes. Seems like it would lead to less frustrating matches.

Yeah I mean, it couldn't be any worse than what we have now. Maybe they could try that in between seasons or something.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I get insulted by Platinum and Diamond players in QP all the time for my healing, and I'm Grandmaster. :(

So many times I've been called a shit healer by people several ranks below me and then get a 40% damage healed card or some shit at the end of the match. People just want to be pocketed all the time, they're not actually paying attention to what's happening with the rest of the team.

I had a Platinum Genji the other day trying to tell me how I should be using Discord Orb. I'm pretty fucking sure I know how to use Discord Orb effectively, thanks Plat Genji.
Ehh, I was just in a comp match on Hollywood 2nd Point Attack and a guy in a duo stack told me I held res all game when I had been stuck doing largely single target res's because the entire team kept trickling in. Bonus: They were Genji and Hanzo and did a shit job of killing Pharah and Reaper who ate the backline the entire game and our Zenyatta was practically begging them to switch and the Hanzo goes McCree with 2 seconds on the clock.

Anne

I get the feeling there is a solution coming for this at some point. The idea of "everybody is a flex player and switching is mandatory" has been a pretty glorious failure, and some of the recent buffs/nerfs and general balance decisions tend to point towards them just embracing the fact people are heavily attached to characters.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I wonder if making wins and losses a flatrate with maybe a minor modifier for medals or performance relative to team/enemy team would incentivize flexing.

Shredderi

People stopped caring. This season has literally been the worst one and has beaten people down into only wanting to goof off. I keep running into random one shot mains who will only play their chosen character. Now it is Torb in every game with 3 other DPS. Even on payload maps they are playing as if it is deathmatch. Comp is really about the same as QP just longer matches.

On top of that I am tired of the n-word being dropped in chat every match. I keep reporting, but have no clue if that does anything.

Damn. Well, I can't stand this new meta of attackers. It's everything I hate in overwatch in every match now. I was pretty easy to get angry before but now it's nothing but rage for me so I think I'mma take another long break from the game.

Anne

I wonder if making wins and losses a flatrate with maybe a minor modifier for medals or performance relative to team/enemy team would incentivize flexing.

It won't. Nothing is going to get people to start flexing at this point. We are far far far beyond changing player behavior on that end. They're gonna have to start designing around it at this point, which it looks likely for them to start doing.

I get the feeling there is a solution coming for this at some point. The idea of "everybody is a flex player and switching is mandatory" has been a pretty glorious failure, and some of the recent buffs/nerfs and general balance decisions tend to point towards them just embracing the fact people are heavily attached to characters.

I hope you're right.

Thewonandonly

I hope you're right.
I mean I guess but what about the people that are flexers like me. I can play anyone preety good on comp besides McRae and genji. One of my favorite parts of overwatch is using counters and stuff. Like don't give up on that blizzard becuase some fuck wad wants to play tjorborn on KOTH or something.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It won't. Nothing is going to get people to start flexing at this point. We are far far far beyond changing player behavior on that end. They're gonna have to start designing around it at this point, which it looks likely for them to start doing.
We're in the darkest timeline.

jviggy43

I mean I guess but what about the people that are flexers like me. I can play anyone preety good on comp besides McRae and genji. One of my favorite parts of overwatch is using counters and stuff. Like don't give up on that blizzard becuase some fuck wad wants to play tjorborn on KOTH or something.

Yep. I hate hearing people say they can play heals or something. It basically means if you aren't doing your job at DPS/tanking we can't move you around so were then stuck with someone playing a position that isn't getting it done.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Damn I'm so sick of people playing doomfist wrong or at least in my opinion it is.

The first incident is when I pick doomfist on defense on I think Anubis or somethign. This fucker starts yelling at me about how doomfist is trash on defense. I try to calmly tell him "doomfist is a anii flanker your sapose to fuck up the tracer or genji in the back lines". He comes back " no you stupid fuck it says attack so he is a fucking attack and since you said that I know you fucking suck as him so imma just play widowmkaer and be better then you. I had 4 golds on defense while he sucked. Changed on attack to pharaoh and we won but come on bro.

Then just today I had someone pick him on KoTH. Allright cool stick back and take out the flankers once we capture the point. Nope he decides he wants to be frontline and initiate every battle. Dude was constintaly the first one to die in each battle. Wouldnt have one of me as reaper and are soilder didn't go ape shit.

GUYS I KNOW DOOMFIST SAYS ATTACK BUT HE FUCKIMG SUCKS AT IT!!!! TWO OR MORE POEPLE NEAR YOU AND YOUR DEAD UNLESS BY TANKS.

DONT FLANK STICK WITH TANK!
DONT FLANK STICK WITH TANK!

I just got the spiteful no heal treatment because I had the gall to stay on doomfist on dorado defense after we took the whole map on attack.

People are weird. Still won at least.

Anne

You're acting like you still can't flex or that people aren't already picking Torb in 100% of games anyways. Most likely thign is they have some system to roughly pair up equal numbers of support/tank/DPS players and people can figure out what to do from there.

IT might not even happen tho. I would be surprised if it wouldn't because the way people play the game is already highly toxic.

Thewonandonly

You're acting like you still can't flex or that people aren't already picking Torb in 100% of games anyways. Most likely thign is they have some system to roughly pair up equal numbers of support/tank/DPS players and people can figure out what to do from there.

IT might not even happen tho. I would be surprised if it wouldn't because the way people play the game is already highly toxic.
Ya the more I thought about it the better it sounds. But if I'm always paired with dps then I will never be able to play t

Mr Git

Hey...we can either have a tank or a healer, pick one. We sure as fuck can't have both.

Probably the main reason my playtime with d.va has shot up to 50~ hours in the last couple of months - aside from her being fucking ace - is because I'm kind and I wait until everyone has picked and more often than not, no tanks. No healers is also frequent but I'm still tepid wank with Zen so my insta pick to fill that hole is still to come.

It should be fine honestly. Players like us will still be able to flex to what is needed.

Thewonandonly

I really just wish people would switch.

I don't give a fuck if your a widow on attack. I mean I may be a little angry but I won't ask you to switch or anything and will see how you play.

But if they have a fucking Winston and tracer doable teaming you at all cost then I don't care if your mister snipey McSnipes your ass ain't getting a kill. Therefore you are not contributing at all so it's 5 v 6 meaning we lost.

Like just switch don't let your ego get the best of you. I've been playing doomfist on defense a lot and if I get slaughter within the first minute I change to something to counter. Like people say they want to win well then switch you salty ass genji or tracer...

TrueBlue

Maybe Blizz could implement a pool system in which you pick 3 or so heroes that you take into a match and can switch when necessary? Maybe they could limit the picks to one per class as well?

Might encourage flexing and help to alleviate pick issues. Could also help zero in on trolls/throwers since they have to be proactive in being twats.

The amount of times I have to say, "Everyone needs heals." is ridiculous.
PS- If you're into going off on adventures, Zen is not going to be able to help you. You're thinking of Health Packs.

Theorry

Maybe Blizz could implement a pool system in which you pick 3 or so heroes that you take into a match and can switch when necessary? Maybe they could limit the picks to one per class as well?

Might encourage flexing and help to alleviate pick issues. Could also help zero in on trolls/throwers since they have to be proactive in being twats.

Gigantic has a great system for that. You pick 5 hero's and will try to give you your first choice if possible and it will matchmake also on getting a good balanced team.

Anne

The route I see things going atm is that characters get more generalist tools so MUs are less extreme and switching starts to become a more niche concept. The Zarya/Reaper changes point to that. The proposed Hog/Junkrat changes point to that.

There is this impression that the game has like 5 different ideals going on all at once and people at the office can't decide as a group what to do at this point. In the end they'll have to just follow their players or things will only get worse.

LiK

Best solution is to play in a 4-stack with tanks and supports and let the randoms play DPS and hope they're good, lol

The route I see things going atm is that characters get more generalist tools so MUs are less extreme and switching starts to become a more niche concept. The Zarya/Reaper changes point to that. The proposed Hog/Junkrat changes point to that.

There is this impression that the game has like 5 different ideals going on all at once and people at the office can't decide as a group what to do at this point. In the end they'll have to just follow their players or things will only get worse.
I think it's a better direction for the game. Pharah shouldn't need specific picks to be dealt with.

HotS is smart about this. You choose your hero before a Quick Play match. They put you in a random team, but they try to match the enemy team to have a similar structure.

So if you have 5 DPS and 1 tank with no healer, HotS will make sure the enemy team has the same structure. I think it would be good for OW to explore similar options.

I bought this game for Roadhog. Lol. :(

It's ok, they'll switch if it doesn't work...

Why is this said all the time. I had a doomfist last night who said the exact thing. He was dying constantly and on the switch from attack to defense someone asked him to switch to tank instead of being another DPS. He proceeded to curse and then shut off comms sitcking with DPS. The same thing happens every time with people who go with a high skill DPS.

In retrospect, I found it funny that people found those leaks to be questionable and thought they were incredibly elaborate fakes.

People's attitude to their healers are hard to understand, namely DPS players. Maybe there is something else at play, but I rarely had this issue when playing the PS4 version, where people were fairly nice and understanding to their healers. On PC, it's the total opposite and people will shit talk you no matter how good you are.

When people ask for healing and both healers are down, I REALLY wish the game would automatically make the character who pushed the "I need healing" button say something like:

"Our healers are dead, I'll need to find a health pack."

Why? Because there are a lot of players who will mute their team, in voice chat, in text and their chat wheel. But will still hit the heal me button, and you just can't communicate back and that is insanely frustrating. If the game told them themselves they need to find a health pack, you can't mute your own character's shout outs.

The worst are the ones on mics screaming "Heal me, why don't you heal me, you suck *healer character*".

Yeah, it's because the enemy team keep swarming on me and I get no protection, while you just keep shooting anything with no focus, getting no kills and feeding the enemy healer ults.

I just bought the PC version. I am using this laptop.

I don't ever play games on PC. How do I make my framerate stable?

Seems like a decent laptop, keep the resolution to your native screen resolution. Render scale at 100 (or less, no reason to go less than 75%), tweaking this will give you the most value for frame rate. I would set things to medium and tweak from there, medium will give you graphics comparable to PS4.

Make sure that:
Vsync is off
Triple buffering is off
Reduced buffering is on

Why is this said all the time. I had a doomfist last night who said the exact thing. He was dying constantly and on the switch from attack to defense someone asked him to switch to tank instead of being another DPS. He proceeded to curse and then shut off comms sitcking with DPS. The same thing happens every time with people who go with a high skill DPS.

Because terrible players like to pick the high skill heroes and not do shit all game except feed and die.

So when people in chat ask them to play someone else...that's always their response.

They very rarely switch from my experience, they just leave chat like you posted above.

Anne

It's almost to the point where I would say building the game around switching heroes was a huge mistake. Things might just straight up be better off if that mechanic didn't exist.

Top Bottom