• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

I just bought the PC version. I am using this laptop.

I don't ever play games on PC. How do I make my framerate stable?
Make sure that you're using your GPU and not the built-in graphics chip on the CPU. I believe Nvidia Control Panel gives you the option to switch back and forth. Also follow the above advice too.

Anne

Imagine if Comp forces you to be locked into a hero you picked.

Would be bad as is. There's too many different ways to autolose at character select for people that know what they are doing. It's too late to change that part of the game now, just saying that designing the game around that idea hasn't worked out.

Overwatch knows how to mix in enough good games that I don't drop it completely. Super fun Numbani and Nepal games with Owzers and Pinku. If only Ned were alive.

This would significantly ruin everything about the game for me. Matches would be over before they even began by chance luck of what your teammates picked.

Meh, not much different than it is now. How often do the shit tier dps players switch off dps...never.

When people instalock dps, check their elims per life on that hero...you know if the L is comin or not.

jviggy43

Meh, not much different than it is now. How often do the shit tier dps players switch off dps...never.

When people instalock dps, check their elims per life on that hero...you know if the L is comin or not.
That doesn't matter because at least I can switch, and so can a few of my friends and that's all you need to help completely turn a bad composition. That would ruin the game. Hell,even think about what that would mean for pro level play, it would break it.

That doesn't matter because at least I can switch, and so can a few of my friends and that's all you need to help completely turn a bad composition. That would ruin the game. Hell,even think about what that would mean for pro level play, it would break it.

Yeah I mean, I'm not sayin that's the solution.

The matchmaking is beyond fucked, they need to do something to fix it. PTR or season breaks seems like a good place and time to try different things.

Cuz ya know...they're only temporary.

How come I am always one the team with actual noobs, while the enemy team is just bunch of smurfs.

I still need to adjust settings. Can't get an fps above 60.

Veelk

Banned
So can I complain about my teammates when I get gold medals in damage and eliminations as D.Va and you still lose?

Can I complain when I get two kills with my ult, then 2 more kills with my guns before dying and they STILL can't push it through?

Can I complain when my teammate is so fucking awful at focus firing that he can't help me kill a lonesome Mei for like 20 fucking seconds?

Bah. I try not to blame my teammates, but sometimes....sometimes....

And now I have a game with a Widow Main that can't get any kills. Lovely.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Because terrible players like to pick the high skill heroes and not do shit all game except feed and die.

So when people in chat ask them to play someone else...that's always their response.

They very rarely switch from my experience, they just leave chat like you posted above.

Is Doomfist really a high skill hero?

Like, literally all you have to do is learn to wait for your team to engage before going crazy with your rocket punches. It's not that hard. I would go as far as recommending him to bronze players who are looking for a dps to learn.

The only problem are the players who spent absolutely no time with him in quick play to have the tiniest clue what his abilities and limits are.

It's almost to the point where I would say building the game around switching heroes was a huge mistake. Things might just straight up be better off if that mechanic didn't exist.

Speaking as someone who was excited for the release of OW and with a lot of FPS experience, I bought and it at launch for about 3-4 days before dropping it and never returning because I felt that the hard counter/switching design philosophy simply lead to a lot of the characters lacking the mechanical depth or tactical options required to make them interesting. Every new character I tried, I felt like I'd seen everything they were capable of doing within 3-4 hours.

As a relative outsider, I'm of the opinion that the reason OW's community is so toxic is because the game design forces you to rely upon up to 5 strangers far more heavily than other teambased online games. Dota/League at least give you the early game 1v1/2v2 matchups where you can make a mark early through your own personal skill. In CS: GO a really strong player can clutch a round by themselves by making big plays and overcome a disadvantage. OW by design has the 6 of you go and fight the 6 of them from the beginning and that seems to be pretty much the entire gameplay loop.

This is also why I feel OW isn't very good viewing as an esport. Aside from the chaotic looking fights, there aren't enough instances of 'holy shit that guy just did that and I got to see it happen live'. There isn't any room for personal expression in playstyles. Every player on a given character looks like they're doing the exact same thing as every other player to a layman like myself, even if the commentators are trying to hype things up.

Is Doomfist really a high skill hero?

Like, literally all you have to do is learn to wait for your team to engage before going crazy with your rocket punches. It's not that hard. I would go as far as recommending him to bronze players who are looking for a dps to learn.

The only problem are the players who spent absolutely no time with him in quick play to have the tiniest clue what his abilities and limits are.

I honestly dunno man. I only played him like twice in the 6v6 elim mode.

I was referring to the widow/genji/hanzo's that say they'll swap if it's not working.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So can I complain about my teammates when I get gold medals in damage and eliminations as D.Va and you still lose?

Can I complain when I get two kills with my ult, then 2 more kills with my guns before dying and they STILL can't push it through?

Can I complain when my teammate is so fucking awful at focus firing that he can't help me kill a lonesome Mei for like 20 fucking seconds?

Bah. I try not to blame my teammates, but sometimes....sometimes....

And now I have a game with a Widow Main that can't get any kills. Lovely.

I'd say if you're losing as DVa with gold elims and damage, you probably are the problem. It means you're not spending much time shielding and being out of position to properly shield because you're too busy shooting people, and thus you might as well just play a DPS.

Her mega survivability when using matrix to keep yourself alive allows you to boost stats pretty easily when playing DPS style because you're staying around in fights for way too long, but it really does not help the team as they die behind you while you slowly whittle away the hp of a couple enemies and get those kills that feel good but do nothing to get you the objective.

Trust me, I've fallen into that exact same trap of constantly losing with gold metals with her. After I changed my mindset to curse myself every single time I use the matrix to protect myself instead of a teammate, my medals went way down but my win percentage went way up.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
I just got the spiteful no heal treatment because I had the gall to stay on doomfist on dorado defense after we took the whole map on attack.

Yeah the main thing holding Doomfist back right now is that quite a few teammates will immediately throw if you pick him since he's perceived as a troll pick. Sombra and Orisa used to be treated the same way though and largely don't inspire tantrums anymore, so hopefully it'll get better for him as well in a few months.

Veelk

Banned
I'd say if you're losing as DVa with gold elims and damage, you probably are the problem. You're not spending much time shielding and being out of position to properly shield because you're too busy shooting people, and thus you might as well just play a DPS.

Her mega survivability when using matrix to keep yourself alive allows you to boost stats pretty easily when playing DPS style because you're staying around in fights for way too long, but it really does not help the team as they die behind you while you slowly whittle away the hp of a couple enemies and get those kills that feel good but do nothing to get you the objective.

But I was on the objective, and my team was alive.

Somehow, 2 of the enemy team was too much for my other 5 guys to handle while I took out 4 myself.

I also make sure to use DM when I can to protect my DPS's, so it's not like I don't use it to protect the team, but DM can only do so much, especially when they got a Zarya, Mei, and Reinhardt on the enemy team. In that scenerio, D.Va is better off hunting her kills down.

Besides, that doesn't help answer how my Lucio wasn't capable of focus firing down an isolated Mei. And that match had me with a substantial amount of damage and elims too, so it's not like I was just the best out of a low standard.

How come I am always one the team with actual noobs, while the enemy team is just bunch of smurfs.

I still need to adjust settings. Can't get an fps above 60.

Did you limit your frame rate to display based? If so that explains that. If not, make sure everything is set to low, worst case scenario you put render scale to 50...

Quit quit quit quit quit. Fuck off TEAM.

You ok man? You might need a break from the game...

Veelk

Banned
You know what I would describe Overwatch as right now? Not fun. Not because it isn't, but because it's just not the primary emotion I feel playing it.

It's tense. The end of every comp game is met with an exhalation from me. "Whew, that was tough".

Sometimes that can be an awesome feeling, if it was a hard fought game. But a lot of times it can just be draining, even if the end is me winning.

I desperately need a "chill" mode in this game that isn't the dumpster fire that QP is. Arcade can possibly be that escape, but I don't have much fun with mystery heroes. It needs to be upgraded with something that prevents straight up stupid team comps so it's not completely random. Elimination can be fun, but I desperately want to play the game Comp offers, just without the SR dangling over the drain.

I'm currently at 2727 SR. I climbed my way back all the way from gold and even Silver. I think this is around where my general skill level is, so I'm comfortable here. But I can never be too comfortable because if I lose too many games, that means going back to the cesspit that is Gold. If I could play the game without worrying about that, I'd be much happier with it.

I'd say if you're losing as DVa with gold elims and damage, you probably are the problem. It means you're not spending much time shielding and being out of position to properly shield because you're too busy shooting people, and thus you might as well just play a DPS.

Trust me, I've fallen into that exact same trap of constantly losing with gold metals with her. After I changed my mindset to curse myself every single time I use the matrix to protect myself instead of a teammate, my medals went way down but my win percentage went way up.

Exactly this, and I know it's shitty for someone to hear, but all DVa mains go through this. I quit DVa and learned Zen. When I went back a few months later, my DVa was a shielding, peeling beast, and I know I am in for a loss most of the time if I have 4 golds and silvers.

It's almost to the point where I would say building the game around switching heroes was a huge mistake. Things might just straight up be better off if that mechanic didn't exist.

IMO it was always a dead end street. The problem with hero switching is that every character is in play and thus competes with every other character as an opportunity cost. Modern multiplayer games sustain themselves on a flow of updates and new content which includes new characters. Every new character added exacerbates the balance issue exponentially. It's sorta of like how a global variable is problematic in programming--a variable that 'touches' every other function and thus can be altered by anything. A few of these in a small program is no big deal, but in a complex one will create tons of fuckery.

A drafting stage with picks and bans like a full fledged moba will ease a lot of the pressure. I know Jeff explicitly said he didn't want this but I feel like it's inevitable. It prevents characters from having to compete directly against each other in terms of raw general effectiveness. In some drafts you have to settle for less but perhaps gain something in team synergy and so on.

On one hand, being able to switch characters mid-round has led to teams being able to reconfigure to approach a problem and solve it.

On the other hand, being able to switch characters mid-round has led to people swapping to Hanzo after they run into the enemy team and immediately die.

While I am generally for the idea of every hero being well-rounded, and I don't like the idea of characters "countering" one another, I'm not sure how you can get around things like Reaper vs. Winston. Winston would need a "get off me" punch on his rclick or something.

Did you limit your frame rate to display based? If so that explains that. If not, make sure everything is set to low, worst case scenario you put render scale to 50...

You ok man? You might need a break from the game...

No, I didn't. I think I must have done something, because I had frame rates in the 100s when I first started up the game. Settings are all low too.

I'll figure it out tomorrow. I need my comp fix so it's back to console for now

LiK

No, I didn't. I think I must have done something, because I had frame rates in the 100s when I first started up the game. Settings are all low too.

I'll figure it out tomorrow. I need my comp fix so it's back to console for now

Also all your beautiful skins are on console.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
But I was on the objective, and my team was alive.

Somehow, 2 of the enemy team was too much for my other 5 guys to handle while I took out 4 myself.

I also make sure to use DM when I can to protect my DPS's, so it's not like I don't use it to protect the team, but DM can only do so much, especially when they got a Zarya, Mei, and Reinhardt on the enemy team. In that scenerio, D.Va is better off hunting her kills down.

Besides, that doesn't help answer how my Lucio wasn't capable of focus firing down an isolated Mei. And that match had me with a substantial amount of damage and elims too, so it's not like I was just the best out of a low standard.

It's not about sometimes using it to protect the team, but damn near always using it to protect the team. As in it shouldn't once be used to protect yourself or be left fully charged.

Yes, some games are also unwinnable. That's simply unavoidable in any team game. But your discription of that game doesn't seem to match how DVas should be played to win. Like, it's not just about how many kills, but how quickly you got those kills and dva can't get kills very quickly at all.

A reaper for instance can get those kills much quicker, so the enemy doesn't have time to kill the rest of your team. If I as a DPS take forever to finally get my three kills, I still can only blame myself for a team fight loss. I sometimes blame the team when they die way quicker than can be expected of me to get kills, but a DPS DVa just can't be quick in getting those kills.

The times I have fun with the game are when I stop caring about the match itself and focus more on just getting the kills I can and generally just look out for myself... which really makes me part of the problem I guess. I don't do comp and I stick to QP most times, but still. Even in the shittiness that is QP, I have an easier and funner time just going DPS with something than trying to play healer/tank and be in a role to try to babysit my teammates. I think a lot of people has gotten into that mindset too; it's just easier to deal with, in QP at least, to just lock the character you want to have fun playing and screw the rest.

People seem to be more content to play what they want and lose rather than keep trying to change to fit the team. I had more than a few matches today where I kept changing to characters I'm not as good with to either counter the enemy or compliment my team members and we still lost. Every single time we lost and people got real pissy in the chat and there was a lot of finger pointing, name calling, and moodiness. And at the end I felt more irritated and miserable with OW than when I just stick to someone like Sombra and feel good about doing my thing regardless of whether it's helping the team or not.

And it's pretty sad. I'm not sure what the devs could do to make a proper composition more appealing, and I'm not sure what could happen to change the community's attitude and perception. One way would be to fix goddamn Roadhog because I goddamn loved using him before the goddamn nerf.

The route I see things going atm is that characters get more generalist tools so MUs are less extreme and switching starts to become a more niche concept. The Zarya/Reaper changes point to that. The proposed Hog/Junkrat changes point to that.

There is this impression that the game has like 5 different ideals going on all at once and people at the office can't decide as a group what to do at this point. In the end they'll have to just follow their players or things will only get worse.

What's MUs?

How does the changes to those characters give you the idea of switching not being as important from now on?

Also it would be nice to know some stats about the "role mains" that exist in comp (at least support/tank/dps) like number of players, hours played, rank, etc. I'm wondering if it's close, but I will assume it's not. Might be hard to have balanced games that way, one thing I noticed last time I played comp was that my teams were usually full of dps mains with luckily one healer (that usually ends up going sniper when things go to shit lol).

Best solution is to play in a 4-stack with tanks and supports and let the randoms play DPS and hope they're good, lol

I had a game with the gaf stack some days ago in Hanamura where the two randoms went dps and I got tilted by the end of the game because both of them never focused on the mercy, even when she was in the middle of the fucking point.

Usually it's a bad experience when the randoms instalock dps, especially when it's not their main role but they try to take advantage of a big stack to train their dps.

Overwatch knows how to mix in enough good games that I don't drop it completely. Super fun Numbani and Nepal games with Owzers and Pinku. If only Ned were alive.

I'll be on tomorrow when the event starts.

Haven't played at the usual hours, only at afternoon gmt and not OW for the most part.

Ned's been playing with us lately. You weren't on.

Yeah last game with a stack was that oasis one with you and Owzers.

I want to make an alt named Throwzers and never play tank or support.

Toxic.

MCD

Yesterday was fun. I lost two games but then teamed up with two bros and a sister and won 5 games in a row.

Fuck yeah 4 stacks is the best. Game is super fun when you have a good team.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I think I should just main quick play. I enjoy competitive when it actually feels like my team is committed to trying, but when you get tossed into a match where everyone refuses to work together on any level and won't bend from whatever the fuck they're doing. Yeah, instant loss.

Had a guy who said he was on a Reaper 10-win streak who only changed to Zen after we got rolled on the 1st point, a Hanzo, a Junkrat who immediately left the voice channel after our Tracer called him out to change at which point the Tracer just started shit talking him in match chat and a two stack that only wanted to tank. I try to tell the Junkrat to stop trickling in on the point alone and he goes Sym and at the point the whole team just collectively throws.

Other team has 3 plats 3 golds a 6-stack. The plats were all 26-2700sr one named smurfsupdude.

My team had 2 golds 1 silver and 3 level 30 and under doing placements. 3 placements and a gold were a 4 stack.

Lost 0-100% 3 rounds in a row, absolute crushing stomps. Matchmaking at its finest right there.

Decided to jump back in after not playing for over a month since the Summer Games are coming up soon.

I wasn't going to bother with comp but ended up giving it a chance and things went much better than the last time I played. There was much less toxicity and people weren't constantly throwing fits when I picked Hanzo.

Overall it went pretty well and I won almost all of the games I played. Now I just need to climb out of diamond after all that rank decay.

IMO it was always a dead end street. The problem with hero switching is that every character is in play and thus competes with every other character as an opportunity cost. Modern multiplayer games sustain themselves on a flow of updates and new content which includes new characters. Every new character added exacerbates the balance issue exponentially. It's sorta of like how a global variable is problematic in programming--a variable that 'touches' every other function and thus can be altered by anything. A few of these in a small program is no big deal, but in a complex one will create tons of fuckery.

A drafting stage with picks and bans like a full fledged moba will ease a lot of the pressure. I know Jeff explicitly said he didn't want this but I feel like it's inevitable. It prevents characters from having to compete directly against each other in terms of raw general effectiveness. In some drafts you have to settle for less but perhaps gain something in team synergy and so on.

They should've done what TF2 did and just balanced it around a small minority of heroes. As it is only a handful are viable, but they aren't as interesting or complex as they would've been if they were the focus of the game.

GamingKaiju

So I had a group rage msg me yesterday whilst playing CTF. I've had hate mail before but when a group of 4 are doing it it really made think why am I playing this shit.

Granted I wasn't on my A game I've had a few weeks out due to competitive burn out but Jesus does the OW community get toxic over silly shit.

Past few seasons I've only managed to maintain a gold rating and I think I'm fine with that now. D2 is out soon so I'll definitely be dropping OW for it.

Top Bottom