• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Yeah we shoulda known the lootbox change would benefit blizzard and not us.

I can't even begin to imagine the money they rake in from lootboxes.

Speaking personally, I'd rather not start off where I ended last season, as a combination of throwers, poor communication, & jerks have tanked my SR.

It's crazy dude. That's the reason I placed at 2002 this season. Ended season 4 at 2200 from a high of 2749.

Then half my 'bonus SR' games had people quit or troll because someone picked their OTP or wouldn't play a certain hero.

I was speaking more of competitive points. Seems everyone who hits diamond and realizes that's where their gonna stay, starts to throw and troll cuz they know they get the CP for getting to diamond.

caesar

Banned
bracket.PNG
RIP USA HYPERLUL

Blues1990

It's crazy dude. That's the reason I placed at 2002 this season. Ended season 4 at 2200 from a high of 2749.

Then half my 'bonus SR' games had people quit or troll because someone picked their OTP or wouldn't play a certain hero.

I was speaking more of competitive points. Seems everyone who hits diamond and realizes that's where their gonna stay, starts to throw and troll cuz they know they get the CP for getting to diamond.

For CP, I 100% agree with you. I had a match where our Grand Master Mercy player self-suicide (and only used resurrect while falling off the map), and when we were all going to report that player, he said "Go ahead, the reporting system is bullshit anyway."

Then we had another match where our teammate was a sexist homaphobe, harassing our female Reaper & gay Zenyatta players. While we were reporting the jerk, he laughed as 87 people had already reported him & nothing was done to stop his antics.

Players can get away with a lot, as they are not afraid of being reported. I generally wished the game had one similar DOTA 2's or SMITE, as you only have a certain amount of reports each week and it notifies you if action is taken/refunds the report since you’re ostensibly using the system appropriately. Punishments range from chat mutes to low priority queue where you’re forced to play a certain number of games only with other players that have been reported for toxicity/griefing. (There’s also a commendation system with similar limits.)

As you can guess, that latter punishment is rightfully seen as something to avoid.

Gorillaz

lmao at that matchup

I'm still recovering from japan eating america's lunch at EVO for SFV another lost is on the horizon and this time it's early as hell lol

Veelk

Banned
After looking at a lot of Mercy PTR vids, I can't help but think that she has become the single most necessary character in the game. There is no ability that any other character has that will be anywhere near as important as being able to bring people back every 30 seconds.

The other stuff, her infinitely firing gun, her nigh immortality while valkyried, her beam (and how it makes Orisa's ult obsolete), all that will still be good but a Rez every 30 seconds is immeasurably valuable.

For CP, I 100% agree with you. I had a match where our Grand Master Mercy player self-suicide (and only used resurrect while falling off the map), and when we were all going to report that player, he said "Go ahead, the reporting system is bullshit anyway."

Then we had another match where our teammate was a sexist homaphobe, harassing our female Reaper & gay Zenyatta players. While we were reporting the jerk, he laughed as 87 people had already reported him & nothing was done to stop his antics.

Players can get away with a lot, as they are not afraid of being reported. I generally wished the game had one similar DOTA 2's or SMITE, as you only have a certain amount of reports each week and it notifies you if action is taken/refunds the report since you’re ostensibly using the system appropriately. Punishments range from chat mutes to low priority queue where you’re forced to play a certain number of games only with other players that have been reported for toxicity/griefing. (There’s also a commendation system with similar limits.)

As you can guess, that latter punishment is rightfully seen as something to avoid.

You're dead on as to why people do it...Cuz they can. If they were forced to play with other trolls or leavers in low priority maybe they would wise up.

We're finally getting a report system on console so I hope it at least deters some of the trolls.

R0ckman

After looking at a lot of Mercy PTR vids, I can't help but think that she has become the single most necessary character in the game. There is no ability that any other character has that will be anywhere near as important as being able to bring people back every 30 seconds.

The other stuff, her infinitely firing gun, her nigh immortality while valkyried, her beam (and how it makes Orisa's ult obsolete), all that will still be good but a Rez every 30 seconds is immeasurably valuable.

Just tried a match, absolutely insane, these cant be pushed live.

MartyStu

I agree.

Bringing Zen(50% discord), Ana (Beyblade-Era) and Lucio(Pre-1rst Heal nerf) all back to their pre-nerfed states is the only way they could compete with that...thing...on the PTR.

This game makes people the worst, I get that someone leaving the group in comp is really frustraiting but I mean, everyone just instantly assumes they're c**ts that just left because they're trolling and not their internet went down and are actually just as frustrated about it happening as the rest of you? :\

I come back to messages like "REPORTED" "F**K YOU" etc. We weren't even in the midst of winning or anything it was still the first round.

"Why are you so angry?" - Lucio.

Veelk

Banned
I agree.

Bringing Zen(50% discord), Ana (Beyblade-Era) and Lucio(Pre-1rst Heal nerf) all back to their pre-nerfed states is the only way they could compete with that...thing...on the PTR.

The thing is, this legitimately does give a better playstyle to Mercy. No longer will her job be to hide so that they can undo whatever team wipe you managed by having it be a 5v6. It's just super powerful and I'm not even sure what numbers they can tweak to make it balanced. Even a solo-rez is an ult level ability, and it's hard to measure how you can put that on cooldown.

I think this could all work if Blizzard just decided to throw up their hands and go "fuck it, lets go crazy with this shit" and buffed everyone. Give back the healers all their power. D.Va gets to keep her buffs while keeping her 4 second DM. McCree gets his ability to land long distance shots back. Roadhog gets his damage back AND his hook has 2 seconds shaved off the CD. Bastion regains his omnic patch ironclad. Soldier gets nothing because fuck Soldier.

I'd atleast try it. It sounds crazy, but maybe it should be. Everyone's overpowered, so no one is.

jediyoshi

Somehow we've been through a bunch of events and I still don't have a clear sense, will the event end before or after the weekly reset? I feel like half have gone either way.

LiK

The events usually end earlier than reset. Better buy whatever event items you wanted before the actual deadline which is 28th.

R0ckman

The thing is, this legitimately does give a better playstyle to Mercy. No longer will her job be to hide so that they can undo whatever team wipe you managed by having it be a 5v6. It's just super powerful and I'm not even sure what numbers they can tweak to make it balanced. Even a solo-rez is an ult level ability, and it's hard to measure how you can put that on cooldown.

I think this could all work if Blizzard just decided to throw up their hands and go "fuck it, lets go crazy with this shit" and buffed everyone. Give back the healers all their power. D.Va gets to keep her buffs while keeping her 4 second DM. McCree gets his ability to land long distance shots back. Roadhog gets his damage back AND his hook has 2 seconds shaved off the CD. Bastion regains his omnic patch ironclad. Soldier gets nothing because fuck Soldier.

I'd atleast try it. It sounds crazy, but maybe it should be. Everyone's overpowered, so no one is.

How likely is this to happen? I need that McCree sniping back.

Blues1990

I agree with most of what you've said, but I'd make sure that Roadhog can consistently kill 200 HP (and below) heroes, rather than destroying D.Va's mech in two blows and erradicating Reaper from existence. He's a Zoning Tank and should punish players that go out of line, but he shouldn't kill 250 and above heroes. Especially since Reaper and Mei are supposed to be his counters.

Like I said in the other thread, good chance for Canada vs sk finals

I'm definitely rooting for my boys, but I'm not expecting anyone to dethrone the S.Korean team any time soon, unless something freaky happens.

You're dead on as to why people do it...Cuz they can. If they were forced to play with other trolls or leavers in low priority maybe they would wise up.

We're finally getting a report system on console so I hope it at least deters some of the trolls.

If it's anything like the current one for the PC version, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Blizzard, please hire this man. A game where everyone is godlike is far more fun than one where no one is. The worst, of course, is when you have bullshit characters like Genji running around deleting teams like a jackrabbit on crack, and that's okay, but then other characters need nerfs for "reasons". I want to feel powerful in games, not helpless.

R0ckman

From what I see on PTR Dvas changes aren't bad, but will either push people more into if they were really good Dvas are okay and are now terrible.

randome

I honestly think I've been playing this game too much. I'm starting to get so pissed off whenever I lose in comp. I think it's just because I'm not that good/not progressing and it's frustrating putting so much time into something only to end up being mediocre.

Talonz

I honestly think I've been playing this game too much. I'm starting to get so pissed off whenever I lose in comp. I think it's just because I'm not that good/not progressing and it's frustrating putting so much time into something only to end up being mediocre.

I love Comp when my team actively tries, but unfortunately most teams don't. The new and improved report system isn't going to be the magic fix to this either. It'll be at least a year before they implement any real change to try and fix it. The communication bans they give these people actually hurt the team members than they do the trolls.

I wonder why they don't go the DOTA2 route and have the player base weed out the toxic players and just group them all up in their own toxic games. I guess they think it'll ruin the sanctity of their precious matchmaking system.

Blues1990

Not enough haha. And I don't get enough dupes to make up the difference. Got 1750 and feels bad man 😂

That's unfortunate, man. At the very least, it will cost 1000 coins next year, so you have that option (provided you can't earn enough coins to purchase it before the deadline).

I've already mentioned it before, but I was really lucky with my boxes for this event. I hope that trend continues, as I want to save up to get the stuff I want for the Halloween Terror event.

Gorillaz

From what I see on PTR Dvas changes aren't bad, but will either push people more into if they were really good Dvas are okay and are now terrible.

Haven't seen too much PTR stuff so I guess we'll see the final word but I'm not liking what this does for the tank family general if she is now frail but just more glass cannon now

Kenai

Think I just earned my last chest, want to do other things before bed.

So I got: Sombra new event skin, Pharah new event highlight, Ana beachball emote, Lucio and Zarya old event skin and Lucio old event highlight. I also got McCree new skin but since I payed coins for it that doesn't count. And of course a bunch of cheaper stuff and a few non-event things. The only thing I wanted that I missed out on was the Reaper skin, and I'll just get his old Halloween one in a few months.

Not a bad grand total for spending 0 dollars, even if I am a bit miffed that I probably won't have enough coins for a single new legendary skin come Halloween even if I get a box every day to help whittle down dupes. The system is still better than the old one of course, but I wouldn't mind if they exp gained a bit faster at least sometimes.

R0ckman

Haven't seen too much PTR stuff so I guess we'll see the final word but I'm not liking what this does for the tank family general if she is now frail but just more glass cannon now

She's effective IF her team is doing a great job supporting her. I've seen two scenarios where I've seen her effective. She rushes in focus a character and rushes out with a Mercy right behind her to patch her up, maybe she has a Roadhog or something to help soak damage.

Sometimes they get lucky and from my last game my team was very bad strategically and didn't melt her mech, I was McCree just practicing my headshots but just quit the game because my team was just ignoring her (she was the only tank on the enemy team) and if I ever decided to help out by shooting her she would rush me and melt me. Then it got to the point that she would attack me on site.

She pretty much deletes pharah out of games now. Dont need soilder or McCree.

The above makes me wonder about the balance in the game, its just everywhere, and feels unprofessional. You have characters that basically become unsuable if the other team uses a character and then you have characters they claim should counter certain heros such as McCree being an answer to Genji but its conditional. Had a good Genji in a match that I could kill only at midrange, if he jumped me I was garunteed to die, and because he is so quick, baiting him to use reflect doesn't garuntee that he's playing into my hand, the time he has with reflect gives him more time to position himself to have an advantage over McCree. I feel like they don't really test this stuff.

KyleCross

I managed to get every Summer Games item from both years and enough competitive points for my next gold weapon. I officially feel like I'm done with Overwatch for awhile and want to finally play some other games... but I know I can't escape.

This is me exactly. I get so tilted and frustrated because I feel like I should be getting better but my SR and Win Rate are not reflecting that at all. So when I get throwers/people who don't care/idiots it just exacerbates the frustration. I climbed over 400 SR in Season 4 only to have nearly 300 of that taken away at the start of Season 5 and then I climbed all the way back up...to where I finished Season 4 at as well. If it happens again after placements in Season 6 then I am only coming back for events.

Nicolada

Managed to squeeze out Sombra's skin last minute. Tried it on in QP and slaughtered the other team to some Doomfist's annoyance. That was fun and out of nowhere.

Also got the old Zarya event skin tonight but she scares me so

Top Bottom