• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

randome

RIP in Pieces.

As someone who has NEVER gotten past my career high of 2,300 SR - and who has spent the last two seasons hovering between 1800-2200, let me tell you this: high silver and low gold is nothing but quick sand. I believe it's impossible to climb out - I'm almost tempted to start a new alt account. I posted earlier about how my buddy played the same 10 placements as me in S5 and started 500SR above me. He ended the season 900 above me. I'd watch him play and the communication and tw at 3,000 versus 2,000 is night and day - it's a completely different game.

Yeah man, getting to platinum again (let alone getting to diamond) is an impossibility. Especially because the disparity between SR lost when I lose and SR gained when I win is even higher. I'll probably just play on my alt account lol.

Send me a FR and we'll duo later. Just don't drop to silver lulz.

Lmao, it's almost liberating though. It's like I'm taking out all my frustrations on myself--I'm not good enough to soloQ but Im too proud to admit it so I keep going.

LiK

Every loss today was because someone switched to some useless heroes and did nothing. And I love how I get trolls on my team but when they get put on the other team then they play their mains and try hard. SR system needs to punish those who don't do much

I've just been playing my best and not dying too much. So far I've won more than lost in solo and duo and actually reached season high twice. Guess it'll be a grind until you get people in games that are legit trying to win.

I was with killdatninja in duo last night and someone on our team left. We still won cuz the randoms didn't give up. What a game.

Lmao, it's almost liberating though. It's like I'm taking out all my frustrations on myself--I'm not good enough to soloQ but Im too proud to admit it so I keep going.

Take it from someone who plays solo all the time, its random as fuck. If you're not lucky to get flexible players you're gonna take the L no matter what.

Having a weird issue lately where the game randomly throws out a melee attack when I am clicking left mouse button to fire. Happens a lot on McCree, Tracer, and Widow. It's driving me crazy. I have nearly 700 hours in this game and I'm definitely not fat fingering lol.. Had no issues until the latest patch.

Anyone else run into this?

but keep adding DPS heroes, Blizzard

Watching TimtheTatMan's stream...all solo queue Master level players...they go 5 DPS 1 Tank 0 Healer on Attack because nobody wants to go healer.

Good to know that this happens on all levels.

Is the main reason due to low SR gains?

The issue isn't that there are too many DPS heroes or that the "gains" aren't as good (otherwise Quick Play would have a bunch of healers), but that being a healer just isn't as fun for most people as shooting people in a first person shooter. When Reinhardt was one of the game's best characters, my teams often argued about who has to play him, and it's because you spend a huge portion of your match semi-AFK pacing back and forth looking at everyone else having fun through a blue-tinted window.

If Blizzard wants people to play healers more, then they will go the Paladins route and make them able to kill people reliably. Healer vs. DPS should not be a foregone conclusion, and a story like "I killed a Soldier with Ana!" shouldn't be a surprise. Healers and tanks should be able to kill things roughly as well as DPS can. When this is true, people will stop complaining about playing either role (when a DPS is "forced" to switch to a healer by the team, they almost always pick Zenyatta).

If character are differentiated by role-utility instead of damage capacity, the game enters a more interesting and balanced state. Players switch off of the healer role because they die. Why do they need to switch? Because they feel powerless. Empower them, and they will just respawn and try again.

rackham

Banned
Don't mean to ask the same question again but does no one know any recent tip/how to play videos- maybe even for Junkrat?

Eh I'm done. I don't have the patience for this game or the dumb asses that play. I've never played a game that's pissed me off as much as OW and it's just not worth it. OW is addictive but I hate it. So I'm deleting it and making room for Titanfall and Yakuza Kiwami. Thank you and fuck you blizzard.

blanchot

i wish i could carry on this game like i can on counter strike. i think that is why it's so frustrating. you're relying on your team mates to play their roles as well as you. and when they don't, the whole team comp unravels. i am a very, very chilled person but this game summons anger from me i never knew i had.

antitrop

They changed Mercy's Huge Rez Achievement requirements on the PTR. It's now "Resurrect 6 players in one life".

No idea if they're going to be able to work out that change on consoles, but that's how it will be on PC.

I love having Torb on my team when I'm Zen.

The armor on top of the shields is fucking OP

And they are so happy for that Healing Orb. Like they stutter in place for a second. "What is this strange thing that appears to be healing me?"

I love my Torbs and their "fuck you, flankers" turrets.

rackham

Banned
I seem to be having trouble getting out of the 2300 SR. Win a few/lose a few. Is that the game telling me something or should I look for a solid group of people? I usually play Soldier and always have 3-4 gold medals in the match.

Alucrid

Banned
placed at 2995. didn't play much of only did placements of season 4 and stopped after a few matches in season 5 so it's my highest rating yet on pc.

Finished my placements 5-5. Got placed at a new career high. Previous high was 2499 back a few seasons ago. Finished last season at like 2431. Got placed at around 2531. Felt pretty good. Not sure if placements were based on MMR or because I didn't play with my friends.

rackham

Banned
Just had my easiest win of the season on Gibralter map. Was Soldier 76. Opposing team didn't even make it to the first checkpoint. Destroyed them on offense. Feels bad cause one of their team mates left at some point but fuck it. It's happened to me more times than I can count this season.

The ranking system SUCKS and I'm sure that's news to no one. Why am I going down in rank when one of my team mates leave the match near the beginning? Then we have to sit there and play the game for 10-15 minutes almost definitely losing anyways.

For fucks sake just disable SR loss when that happens Blizzard. Fuck you. :)

Schlep

I seem to be having trouble getting out of the 2300 SR. Win a few/lose a few. Is that the game telling me something or should I look for a solid group of people? I usually play Soldier and always have 3-4 gold medals in the match.

Around this level now with my alt. You've basically got to play a role that lets your teammates live through their mistakes. Zarya or Winston bubbles, Lucio on heals most of the time, Symm shield gen, Rein or Orisa shields, etc.

Of course, you also need to be doing damage and getting elims when possible. At this level you see a lot of people who, especially on console, think of the game more like Call of Duty than a team game. If they keep dying repeatedly, wins will be infrequent.

Also, same as at any level, you're going to get lucky and unlucky. Sometimes you'll end up with people who should be ranked much higher, and other times with people much lower. Filling the gap from the lower skill players is difficult at any level.

R0ckman

Lol randoms think "Group up" means an auto advantage, no point in grouping up if you guys don't take the fight to the point in KotH.

rackham

Banned
Lol randoms think "Group up" means an auto advantage, no point in grouping up if you guys don't take the fight to the point in KotH.

I usually use the "Group Up" speak when I need people on the point to move that shit faster and I see them near but not on the point.

The more annoying thing is when assholes spam "I NEED HEALING"

Bitch, the healers can see that you're low on health. It doesn't do anything but annoy people when you spam it. And if you care about healing so much, play a fucking healer. So fucking terrible in the beginning when everyone picks something that's not a healer and you have that one shit lord who keeps spamming "I NEED HEALING" instead of playing a healer.

The game telling you you don't belong is when the SR is consistently out of balance for a win compared to a loss, either way.

I'm about where you are, SR-wise, and am bracketed between 2100-2450 if I want equal SR gains and losses.

Just had my easiest win of the season on Gibralter map. Was Soldier 76. Opposing team didn't even make it to the first checkpoint. Destroyed them on offense. Feels bad cause one of their team mates left at some point but fuck it. It's happened to me more times than I can count this season.

The ranking system SUCKS and I'm sure that's news to no one. Why am I going down in rank when one of my team mates leave the match near the beginning? Then we have to sit there and play the game for 10-15 minutes almost definitely losing anyways.

For fucks sake just disable SR loss when that happens Blizzard. Fuck you. :)

Blizz's motives are good here, even if the actual experience is shit: they want to prevent, at all costs, teams ganging up on one player if they're losing and bullying them into quitting so no one else loses SR.

Swig_

Has there been any word if they're ever going to have items other than golden weapons to spend comp points on? I don't like the golden weapons.

Has there been any word if they're ever going to have items other than golden weapons to spend comp points on? I don't like the golden weapons.

Yes there has been word. There likely won't be any further rewards. Jeff Kaplan said they're regretting ever putting rewards into competitive.

Top Bottom