• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Lulubop

tenor.gif

I guess? Trust me, I'm not boasting about that win. The last thing I want to do is put Soldier in a good light.

But you know, you can't really beat heal station as a tactical advantage. Or his ult, frankly, because that bursts down opponents quicker than they can react usually. And if you need burst damage, you have his rocket.

God, fuck soldier.

lol if you actually think soldier is op or bad design. by far the least stupidly designed character/abilities in the game

Owzers

Worst moment on koth today: tracer has ult and asks to be solo resed, mercy does so, Zarya ults and tracer gets her ult eaten by a dva.

Our team never recovered despite winning the first round.

Kakaroach

I went 5-5 in placements and got put 100 SR above where I finished last season. Feels good, still think it would take me a while to get to plat, but who knows. Good start to the season at least!

On PS4, I turned off messages from people not in my friend list. Had to do that because of spam messages when I was playing Trials in Destiny. You might also get abusive messages as well as those PSN spambots so now it's even more of an incentive to do it. I used to get both good and bad messages for my performance in OW from randoms but I don't care for spam in my PSN inbox so I'm leaving my setting as is.

Also- I've received 5 separate team-up requests from people on the opposing team during matches in the last few weeks. Maybe they're just trying to distract me, but that is how the DDS attack works on PS4, too. Time to disable non-friend messages, I guess.

I genuinely feel it's an indictment of Soldier that I can do that well on him. Clearly he should be nerfed. How about instead of 19 damage per bullet he does....9

While I love your intense Soldier loathing, the truth is that Soldier is Soldier. He is the entry level character for the CoD crowd. He is a necessary evil, and is easy meat for a decent Zen. Zen up and kill him. DVa up and stay in his face the entire match. Etc. Soldier isn't a plague on the game, he's just another obstacle.

LiK

Also- I've received 5 separate team-up requests from people on the opposing team during matches in the last few weeks. Maybe they're just trying to distract me, but that is how the DDS attack works on PS4, too. Time to disable non-friend messages, I guess.

Yea, some kids will do that during a Comp match just to distract people. Not worth the hassle.

Swig_

I've been told this border is even higher than gold.

2017-09-0302_49_23-ov2zqw2.png

This is freaking crazy, and i thought i play a lot with my silver border lol

How?

I had one of those in one of my ranked games today. I wonder how many hours per day you'd have to have played to get that border. It's insane. I feel like I play a lot (along with having a social life and a full time job) and I'm only halfway through bronze. Althought there was a period of a few months that I didn't play.. maybe three. But still I'd maybe be silver by now if I had played that. A far cry from gold or platinum. It's insane.

New Roadhog is actually...kinda good? Just that ability to stay alive and keep pressure on a choke or a point is crazy. He just doesn't die unless your whole team is already dead too. I went like 20-2 with him on ruins tonight

Veelk

Banned
While I love your intense Soldier loathing, the truth is that Soldier is Soldier. He is the entry level character for the CoD crowd. He is a necessary evil, and is easy meat for a decent Zen. Zen up and kill him. DVa up and stay in his face the entire match. Etc. Soldier isn't a plague on the game, he's just another obstacle.

I kind of exaggerate my hate for him for comedic effect on here, but I legitimately do think that he isn't good for the game. He's boring to play, he's boring to play against. Everything is more interesting when he's not around. You know, back when the game was first out, Soldier wasn't as good or prominent in games I feel. I didn't mind him existing then, I just thought he was boring.

I took that to mean his intended role was like that of Bastion. He's good for new players who are looking for mechanical familiarity and easy to pick up until you realize that you should be playing the actually cool and interesting characters with the unique mechanics.

I still think he should fit in that role. I think that he should be characters pro-teams laugh at the idea of picking in a serious match because he's the character meant for newbies to ease themselves into the game, not a borderline mandatory pick. "No, pick Mei, she can freeze enemies and set up walls! Or Junkrat, he can litter the ground with traps and mines!"

That's the soul of overwatch. All these wierd, outlandish characters, and Soldier is just...CoD guy. The kind of character you could get in any FPS. If Soldier's role is to be the easy entry to the game, that's fine. If his role is to be the jack of all trades character, that's also fine. I just feel he's not a jack of all trades. Perhaps not a plague on the game, but I do think he's too good at everything he does.

LiK

Not sure if redling the update fixed anything but dual zone suddenly feels good again. Need to test it out more.

kuYuri

Haven't played Overwatch in months, decided to hop in recently with some acquaintances. Second night of playing, got that Huge Rez achievement with Mercy just in time before the rework without really thinking of going for it. 👍

giphy.gif

Ironically, that play didn't end up being PotG, instead it was another three man Rez that I performed earlier ended up getting it, lol.

LiK

LMAO, in a game with DeiCide and the we have 3 DPS with Bastion and they can't even kill Pharah. I killed her more often as Zen.

Edit: Whoa, buffed Orisa is great. Used her in Attack and Defense in Horizon and we won. Her sped up bullets make such a huge difference.

LMAO, in a game with DeiCide and the we have 3 DPS with Bastion and they can't even kill Pharah. I killed her more often as Zen.

Edit: Whoa, buffed Orisa is great. Used her in Attack and Defense in Horizon and we won. Her sped up bullets make such a huge difference.

Soo many dps!

That Pharah was was on fire at least 75% of the match...that bastion was so lost.

Also, wtf @ 3 2cp maps in a row? I've never seen that happen before.

LiK

Soo many dps!

That Pharah was was on fire at least 75% of the match...that bastion was so lost.

That Bastion had golden guns but zero game sense. Kept shooting straight ahead when the Pharah was shooting above us. Would've been a win if he concentrated on Pharah over everyone else in the first point.

Edit: yea, 3 2CP maps in a row was lame. At least we won one.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Taking out Pharah with Rocket Punch is maybe my favorite thing to do in the entire game. It really feels like it shouldn't work as often as it does.

Yeah Orisa was fun before, but she's super fun now. Being able to hit smaller heroes reliably is a big deal for her.

fhqwhgads

Is it just a console thing or do players in general have no idea how you deal with sentry set ups? It's so annoying when teams are getting creamed by Bastion and Torb of all people.

Yager

Banned

Buffed Orisa is pretty good. Tried her yesterday in defense Horizon, her bullet speed and barrier buff make her a great defense tank for the first point. I had FUN playing her for the first time. I'm an Orisa main now.

Skii

I kind of exaggerate my hate for him for comedic effect on here, but I legitimately do think that he isn't good for the game. He's boring to play, he's boring to play against. Everything is more interesting when he's not around. You know, back when the game was first out, Soldier wasn't as good or prominent in games I feel. I didn't mind him existing then, I just thought he was boring.

That's the soul of overwatch. All these wierd, outlandish characters, and Soldier is just...CoD guy. The kind of character you could get in any FPS. If Soldier's role is to be the easy entry to the game, that's fine. If his role is to be the jack of all trades character, that's also fine. I just feel he's not a jack of all trades. Perhaps not a plague on the game, but I do think he's too good at everything he does.

I don't find him boring to play or play against. You can't engage him if he has healing station but he gets destroyed by so many characters once you bait it. He's a good check for characters like Tracer and Pharah who I'd assume would be even more dominant on PS4 if he wasnt a decent pick. I don't really see anyone on PS4 happy that Pharmercy is a mandatory pick but you have a problem with Soldier?

Soldier should always be good because being good with him is entirely dependant on mechanical skill and positioning. He's not someone like live Mercy who requires zero skill to play at GM level.

He really isn't too good at everything he does. He's not even picked that often in pro level after his nerf. Characters like Tracer and Doomfist are way better than Soldier.

My placements were absolutely terrible. That being said after being placed in high plat I went like 8-2 playing Junkrat.

Junkrat is almost as broken as launch McCree. Hell maybe even more broken.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The people in gold rank actually choose better team comps it's kinda nice lol.

I think it's because they don't realize how bad they are at playing all the roles. A lot of them probably could climb higher if they learned to stick to the role they're best at and not care about team comp as much.

Machina

Banned
Just uninstalled this for good.

I don't hate the game, but unless you have a team of friends you regularly play with, it is unplayable solo.

7-3 in my placements. Did not enjoy any of the games at all. People just want to play what they want, which isn't bad, but a lot of these games could have went much smoother. Ended up getting placed pretty much exactly where I left off before decaying to 3k. What's the point of doing 10 placement matches? They need to lower it. I probably should have ended up higher, but you know, I flexed and swapped during my games so I probably got punished for it.

Playing competitive on Nepal.

Holding the Shrine down, enemy D.Va pops their ultimate too early leaving them at the bottom of the stairs. So shouldn't really need to take cover, yeah? Nope. Friendly Roadhog hooks it up the stairs wiping out our entire team. We go on to the lose the round and match.

That's enough competitive play for me this season.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I am close to uninstalling as well. There are so many trolls and throwers in this game it's no fun anymore.

I'm in the same boat.

You know why people throw? Because when we have Widow and Hanzo on offense, and our healer is Anna, what the fuck is the point?

rulerk1

ive been playing QP since about 9:40 and ive won one match. I would love it if there was auto switch feature for people who arent performing well on hero. No even wants to switch and i dont even think they know they aren't doing well. At least put a suggestion up when they die

Is it just a console thing or do players in general have no idea how you deal with sentry set ups? It's so annoying when teams are getting creamed by Bastion and Torb of all people.
It sure feels like it most of the time (PS4). Like it's not that difficult team, just quit running head-on into them.

Top Bottom