• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Watching TimtheTatMan's stream...all solo queue Master level players...they go 5 DPS 1 Tank 0 Healer on Attack because nobody wants to go healer.

Good to know that this happens on all levels.

Veelk

Banned
I don't understand why I keep seeing more Ana's in QP lately (and a little in comp).

This is console. Ana fucking SUCKS on console.

Just a quick question. If I'm consistently getting gold elims and gold/silver damage as Winston, does that mean I'm at an sr that's lower than I should be? If we still lose it's still my fault right? I feel like I'm doing everything right and making all the right decisions. I'm always taking dumb risks and getting away with it because the enemies are trash. I feel like I'm 1000 sr under what I'm capable of and I'm like 800 sr under my last 2 seasons highs. Maybe sr gain with Winston isn't good? Should I just play more Zarya?

Veelk

Banned
Just a quick question. If I'm consistently getting gold elims and gold/silver damage as Winston, does that mean I'm at an sr that's lower than I should be? If we still lose it's still my fault right? I feel like I'm doing everything right and making all the right decisions. I'm always taking dumb risks and getting away with it because the enemies are trash. I feel like I'm 1000 sr under what I'm capable of and I'm like 800 sr under my last 2 seasons highs. Maybe sr gain with Winston isn't good? Should I just play more Zarya?

Not necessarily. The medal system is really, really flawed because it doesn't account for the different roles different characters play.

For example, I once had a game where Winston got 87 eliminations. He was playing really well, but he took that as an excuse to rage at our DPS (reaper) for not doing his job. But Winston is supposed to apply feather damage to the enemy group as a whole, because it can hit multiple targets. So he should be getting a small piece of everybody, which means he would be getting more eliminations than reaper, whose meant to focus in on one character to do a bunch of damage.

Gold/Silver damage however might be more of an indicator, but still, you're hitting several people at once rather than just one at a time, so you'll be accruing that pretty rapidly.

All of which has nothing to do with your SR exactly. That, I don't know much about how to manipulate except to say that Winston right now is a really popular and powerful pick, so you'll have to do really well with him for huge SR gain. Zarya's fairly popular as well. That's important because when the system is calculating your SR, it's comparing you against all other players of that character. That's why the mercy exploit with the Rez exists. The less popular a character is and the better you are with that character, the more of a chance you have to rise with them, because you have less people to compete with that set what the standard of "Good" is.

So what I'm basically saying is if you want to rise with a tank, be a really damn good Orisa.

Blues1990

This hasn't been a thing since S2.
It's because no one likes babysitting dps characters who will just fuck off and leave you to fend for yourself once the fight starts, then spam "I need healing" when you're long dead.

I get that, but not all the Offense Heroes have a self-heal, nor the mobility to get to health packs. It just sounds suicidal to me.

Blues1990

Don't worry, they won't blame themselves when they lose either.

Fair point.

When I get back, im going to do my placements as Zarya, as I'm pretty warn from dealing with ignorant DPS players. At the very least, I can benefit from their stupidity, a la bubble then when they run in.

Veelk

Banned
I'm really glad Deathmatch exists to FINALLY allow a practice mode where you can actually practice, but that still leaves other types of characters out in the shit.

I'm trying to practice Orisa in QP and it reminds me why I should never practice characters in QP.

Edit: Holy shit, Doomfist against Orisa is hilarious. He charges up his punch and thinks he's gonna wreck shit like the other OR-15's and I'm like "FORTIFY, BITCH"

I love having Torb on my team when I'm Zen.

The armor on top of the shields is fucking OP

Yeah, I always save my armor for the supports and characters with shields like Zarya and call it on chat because I know how good it can be.

But then a wild Owzers appears with his Rein/Orisa and takes the armor.

fml

Plesiades

Unless the Halloween Horde Mode behavior was hardcoded somehow, we'll get an interesting variation of it thanks to all the hero reworks.

Well, I think I'm going to start playing comp this season. I sat out last season because I was kinda still new to the game. Not sure if I want to try to do placements solo queue, or try to get a group.

Schlep

Placement matches on my alt account and I'm getting placed with ~2600-2700. I really wish I understood the MMR system. On both accounts I get placed with people who don't seem to understand the basics of the game. I guess it's because I screw around in quick pay a lot.

Schlep

Ended up at 2417 on my alt (level 25). Final placement match as Zarya we won and I went 45-1. I don't understand their matchmaking at all.

For reference, main account is 3058 which is still a bit lower than I'd like, especially since there's still a lot of misunderstanding of basics at low diamond. Time to grind this season.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I dislike draws more than I do losses.

What a waste of fucking time for both teams when it's a draw. Sigh.

Kenji17

Banned
I've been playing Overwatch on PS4 since launch. Maybe it's different on PC vs console, but can someone calmly explain to me why Genji's ult isn't by far the cheapest one in the game?

Schlep

I've been playing Overwatch on PS4 since launch. Maybe it's different on PC vs console, but can someone calmly explain to me why Genji's ult isn't by far the cheapest one in the game?

Like any other ult, you just need a counter. Drop the beat usually counters. Transcendence always counters. Usually a good idea to run a counter character too like Winston or Symmetra.

I'd rank Reaper's ult as far cheaper than Genji's, especially since they're getting rid of its one counter (rez).

its by far the best dps ult. its quite poorly designed. he should not have infinite dashing

antitrop

New Hero Tier list: https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-...t-and-meta-report-and-the-gunslinger-followed

uTkfqN7.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
19,000 solo healing as Mercy with three 4-man rez ults

"FUCK YOU MERCY I NEED GD HEALS"
"Shame our Mercy sucks."
"would have been nice to get heals."

Alucrid

Banned
i go to the point, hit four with shatter, die

some dude on shrine

"you can't just walk up and earthshatter"

then i see the kill cam as i walk up with the shield as all five of my team stay back at the choke doing poking

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If you're solo-healing and the team is bitching about heals, you have every right to tell them to fuck themselves.

Half-way through, I asked if they'd prefer something else. I can happily Anna or Lucio, too. I suck at Zen, but I'll do it. Literally zero feedback as I'm chatting on mic. Just "Well do something!!" as my defensive McCree is 100 yards ahead of the rest of our team.

i go to the point, hit four with shatter, die

some dude on shrine

"you can't just walk up and earthshatter"

then i see the kill cam as i walk up with the shield as all five of my team stay back at the choke doing poking

Yeah, it blows my mind how many people feel like Rein's ult is for him and only him. I'm always calling mine out and it feels like 90% of the time the rest of my team just decides to fuck with the 2 or so enemies that haven't hit the ground. Rein's ult is clearly meant to be a feast for everybody.

EDIT:

I'm going to go all the way down to silver.

RIP in Pieces.

As someone who has NEVER gotten past my career high of 2,300 SR - and who has spent the last two seasons hovering between 1800-2200, let me tell you this: high silver and low gold is nothing but quick sand. I believe it's impossible to climb out - I'm almost tempted to start a new alt account. I posted earlier about how my buddy played the same 10 placements as me in S5 and started 500SR above me. He ended the season 900 above me. I'd watch him play and the communication and tw at 3,000 versus 2,000 is night and day - it's a completely different game.

antitrop

Half-way through, I asked if they'd prefer something else. I can happily Anna or Lucio, too. I suck at Zen, but I'll do it. Literally zero feedback as I'm chatting on mic. Just "Well do something!!" as my defensive McCree is 100 yards ahead of the rest of our team.

Solo-healing without at least a Symmetra shield gen/TP or Sombra hacked packs to back you up is bullshit, if none of them are willing to swap, there's no bending over backwards you can do to make it work. Just gotta take the L. All you can really do is hope the enemy team is equally pitiful enough to try running solo-heals, too.

Skel1ingt0n

Solo-healing without at least a Symmetra shield gen/TP or Sombra hacked packs to back you up is bullshit, if none of them are willing to swap, there's no bending over backwards you can do to make it work. Just gotta take the L.

And that, unfortunately, summarizes at least 50% of the games I play. :(

Alucrid

Banned

you can nullify it with sound barrier, trance, sleep dart, etc. you can interrupt with flashbang, hook, etc. if you apply pressure to him you can make him waste time with reflect. if you boop him away without his dash reset you can evade it. it's definitely a great ult but i wouldn't say cheapest in the game. take solace though, at least on controllers you can't really do instant 180s

antitrop

you can nullify it with sound barrier, trance, sleep dart, etc. you can interrupt with flashbang, hook, etc. if you apply pressure to him you can make him waste time with reflect. if you boop him away without his dash reset you can evade it. it's definitely a great ult but i wouldn't say cheapest in the game. take solace though, at least on controllers you can't really do instant 180s

Sombra hack does a number on Genji's ult, too, since he can't use the dash resets, but it is definitely the best Ultimate of all the DPS heroes.

Kenji17

Banned
I'd rank Reaper's ult as far cheaper than Genji's, especially since they're getting rid of its one counter (rez).

I don't see how Reaper's ult is worse. Reaper can barely move during his ult, so it's much easier to stop him. I've nailed a sleep dart on an ulting Genji maybe once.

Does flashbang actually stop Genji's ult? I know it stops Reaper.

Veelk

Banned
A good McCree can also flashbang and headshot, Roadhog can hook (or used to be able to) and shutdown, Zarya can graviton and he can't escape anymore. It's a strong ultimate, especially boosted by nano, but there are counters.

antitrop

Dragonblade works like Tactical Visor, once it's activated it won't be stopped by simple things like Flashgang, Sombra hack, etc. Death Blossom works like McCree's Deadeye, a flashbang or a hack will instantly stop it.

rulerk1

Every loss today was because someone switched to some useless heroes and did nothing. And I love how I get trolls on my team but when they get put on the other team then they play their mains and try hard. SR system needs to punish those who don't do much

Schlep

I don't see how Reaper's ult is worse. Reaper can barely move during his ult, so it's much easier to stop him. I've nailed a sleep dart on an ulting Genji maybe once.

If you happen to be clumped up, it's instant team death barring a Zen with ult and cat like reflexes. At least with a Genji blade or grav you have a second or two to react.

Veelk

Banned
If you happen to be clumped up, it's instant team death barring a Zen with ult and cat like reflexes. At least with a Genji blade or grav you have a second or two to react.

Hardly cat-like. Throw a dm up on that edgelord and he's done.....

...for now, anyway. Death Blossom lasts longer than 2 seconds.

Top Bottom