• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

accx

Standard disclaimers:
-I'm a PS4 console scrub.
-Overwatch is my first multiplayer shooter.
-I'm not very good.
-I have fun.

Tracer has a rhythm to her. She fires her guns for 1 second (if you hold down the trigger) and then takes a further full second to reload. One full clip of body shots gets you 240 damage, which means she can do 480 if she lands all headshots (good luck!). No other hero spends as much time reloading compared to shooting as Tracer, and that's where her rhythm comes in. In its most basic form, it is this:

Long ass super informative post.

Oh i forgot, i wanted to quote this earlier particularly because of the bolded part.
When i've been describing Tracer to my GF and how to play her (she's not interested but sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and listen to your boring SO going on and on), the first thing that came to mind was that it's a lot like dancing.
Always having 1 blink available and just... I don't know. Like you said, there's a certain rhythm to her.
In the beginning i used my blinks willy nilly (since i adore the speed) but watching VODs it became apparent that moving around requires a certain finesse. It helps having great spatial awareness as well. It's a certain flow to her. Fantastic hero.

Chance

Oh i forgot, i wanted to quote this earlier particularly because of the bolded part.
When i've been describing Tracer to my GF and how to play her (she's not interested but sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and listen to your boring SO going on and on), the first thing that came to mind was that it's a lot like dancing.
Always having 1 blink available and just... I don't know. Like you said, there's a certain rhythm to her.
In the beginning i used my blinks willy nilly (since i adore the speed) but watching VODs it became apparent that moving around requires a certain finesse. It helps having great spatial awareness as well. It's a certain flow to her. Fantastic hero.

...excuse me, I need to upload something. Fingers crossed I don't get distracted.

accx

...excuse me, I need to upload something. Fingers crossed I don't get distracted.

I loved your write up btw!

He has a massive ego, but other than that not really that bad.

Ah okay, i heard on harbs stream earlier that sinatraa is toxic so maybe that's where i'm getting it from? I dunno, i haven't watched any of their streams but in games with other streamers i follow they usually don't talk at all (which is fine), or are spewing some shit.
I mean, not xqc level but still. The game and pro scene needs more harbs and less xqcs, honestly.

Finally having a good couple of days, went from 3080 to 3278 since Thursday. Mostly been insta-locking D.va or Offense characters since good eliminations seem to be a problem at this rank.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Am I just an awful Genji player or is the current meta just way too spongey for him to be effective?

I've been training a lot as Genji lately, mostly on Deathmatch, I've been doing just fine on the 1x1. Whenever I change to competitive mode though... I can't do anything. I deal a lot of damage, nobody dies, when someone dies the freaking Mercy is right there to rezz it.

My participation on the matches are always kill the Mercy and die or die trying to. It's so annoying. Can't wait for her to get nerfed.
Genji is fine, he just has solid hard counters so you have to play around them.*

Meanwhile no one on my team will switch to a hard counter for him.

Chance

Dancing is a really good way to put it - her rhythm and flow is stupid-powerful, once it clicks for you. I remember the first time I tried her out. I fired her guns for 1 second, she reloads and I'm like "that's it?" So I built her ult and tosssed it on the bots in the target range and was like "that's it?!" After watching what Reapers and Genjis and Pharahs and Soldiers can do to teams, she seemed... mild, by comparison.

She's not mild. She is muy picuante.

This is a good example of Tracer's rhythm & flow from last night: https://youtu.be/y0g3R0XlbsY

A lot of nice examples of good Tracer choices in here, I think.
-I don't dive the Zarya and Widow with the intention of getting picks - I just want to turn their attention from my team, as they bolster our position on the payload, and quickly retreat when things get dicey (+sass).
-once I get the Mercy pick, I don't use any blinks as we clear the payload.
-perfect, beautiful headshots on Widow.
-usin' the rhythm on the Hog
-rollin' that Mercy+Bastion setup like a boss.

I loved your write up btw!

Thank you! I really need to turn that into a blog post.

rulerk1

now that i finally got the hang of new dva im loving how much fun she is now. I on a winstreak with her with insane kill participation/ damage. I feel like with the new dva i am actually contributing now. Masters here i come!

Owzers

Today and last night have been the worst overwatching games in awhile, just awful randoms both in what they say and how they play. Time to assemble a 5 stack?

useless ass mercy. i switched off healing at 6K (gold) and she still didn't beat that amount. the fuck were you even doing. oh. i see. too busy trying to res people going by that number. all she did was dmg boost people. didn't help the team one bit.

Blues1990

WHO SAID WHAT ABOUT A TRACER HALLOWEEN SKIN?!

Give me dat Bard Lucio!

fd5.png

Blues1990

Sooo kyooot!

I know being a bard has no relation to the Halloween season, but I still want it.

But if I wanted some new Legendary skins for the heroes, this is what I came up with:

Soldier: 76 - First Blood (Rambo III-inspired)
McCree - Werewolf/Vampire Hunter
Ana - Alchemist/Plague Doctor
Hanzo - Tengu
Winston - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
D.Va - Baba Yaga
Lucio - Lobisomem
Zarya - Aliens Jenette Vasquez

Chance

I know being a bard has no relation to the Halloween season, but I still want it.

But if I wanted some new Legendary skins for the heroes, this is what I came up with:

Soldier: 76 - First Blood (Rambo III-inspired)
McCree - Werewolf/Vampire Hunter
Ana - Alchemist/Plague Doctor
Hanzo - Tengu
Winston - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
D.Va - Baba Yaga
Lucio - Lobisomem
Zarya - Aliens Jenette Vasquez

I actually feel Tracer should get Wolfman/Van Helsing, as they are uniquely British characters.

As McCree is meant to be a quintessential American, I feel he should be the quintessential American monster: the zombie.

Why Baba Yaga for D.Va? oh my God chicken legged wood cabin MEKA YES - YES!

Also big thumbs up for Vasquez Zarya.

Colin.

Definitely feel like McCree needs a buff. I'd like to use him more, but currently don't see the point. He's so slow, takes 3/4 hits to take out 200hp heroes, and is very easy to counter.

Oh there's all kinds of Tracer tutorial vids! Was it Your Overwatch (YouTube) that had good ones?

Yup, those are good ones. But there was something about your simple- yet comprehensive- ruleset that would appeal to her playstyle. Tell her what to do and when and she can do it. But show her some cool little trick or meme-worthy stunt and she will spend the round trying to reenact it. She's 12, in all its glory.

Chance

Yup, those are good ones. But there was something about your simple- yet comprehensive- ruleset that would appeal to her playstyle. Tell her what to do and when and she can do it. But show her some cool little trick or meme-worthy stunt and she will spend the round trying to reenact it. She's 12, in all its glory.

Hmmm...

Y'know what? I just may!

Blues1990

I actually feel Tracer should get Wolfman/Van Helsing, as they are uniquely British characters.

As McCree is meant to be a quintessential American, I feel he should be the quintessential American monster: the zombie.

Probably because Tracer as a Ghost/Phantom would be much cooler. That, and there were a lot of unused voice lines of McCree wishing he had his silver bullets, an unused variant of his Ult voice line ("It's High Moon!"), and that he dressed up as a Monster Hunter in last year's comic.

211cabc88bb61044ebed0a3b6a0ab06d.jpg

Then there was this fan art that had sweeten the deal, so I'm down for this to be a thing.

380.jpg

Why Baba Yaga for D.Va? oh my God chicken legged wood cabin MEKA YES - YES!

Also big thumbs up for Vasquez Zarya.

To be honest, I couldn't think of many mythological monsters that would fit D.Va, and my friend suggested that one.

And I want that skin for Zarya. With the exception of her Summer Games skins, she was short-changed in the cosmetics department and I want her to have at least one bad ass Legendary. That, and it would be such a complementary skin to Soldier 76's Commando/Special Ops skins.

leng jai

2 CP map. We attack and go 2-0. Guy leaves and then someone else leaves straight after. Have to play 3 more rounds to avoid the extra SR penalty. OW comp in a nutshell.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Haloween event will probably be

Torbjorn getting his viking skin
Pirate Ana
Unfortunately Tracer getting one

I could see maybe Orisa getting one too. I want Matrix Sombra.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
re: van helsing skin

wouldnt be the first time a hero skin that obviously belonged to another hero's whole shibang would be given to tracer
maxresdefault.jpg

Veelk

Banned
I really hope the PTR patch comes through for D.va soon. It seems like it's a small QoL change for most, but for me, I can't get used to having to use melee or the boost to stop.

Gorillaz

doomfist is definitely getting a skin

each new hero has usually gotten a new look in the next event. Summer games being an outlier but ana got a Halloween skin a month or 2 after that release

Blues1990

its time to nerf mobility heroes across the board

I would love to use Mei as a deterrent towards the Genji/Tracer players that have dominated the current meta these past two seasons. Her role should be to protect, disrupt, and enable.

- Protecting supports by countering the flankers coming after them, shutting them down, eliminating them.

- Disrupting the enemy team by stopping them in their tracks, and making them take detours with Ice Wall and Blizzard.

- Enabling her team by freezing the enemy and splitting them up with Ice wall, helping them secure kills.

But in her current state, she cannot do these things effectively enough to be good at her job. She is too slow. Her abilities are too slow. Hell, most flankers can ignore her wall and escape her reach, as Mei is a terrible anti-flanker against more skilled players. 20 out of the 25 heroes have abilities that can easily prevent them from being frozen by Mei, making her a deterrent to them at best. Soldier: 76 can sprint jump across the radius of Blizzard!

I'll still play her, regardless.

re: van helsing skin

wouldnt be the first time a hero skin that obviously belonged to another hero's whole shibang would be given to tracer
It's not even limited to skins. So we've got an arcade mode and we're using an arcade cab as the icon, who would be represent this? Who in the cast is best represented by video games... hmm... hmm... I got it!

JltdUhu.png

Salarians

Halloween event is canceled, instead we're getting a Tracer appreciation event

Tracer gets three new legendaries and an assortment of other cosmetics, everyone else gets Tracer themed skins

source: my uncle is Jeph Kaplan

Top Bottom