• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

I think if you're capable of creating and working in the environment that birthed Overwatch in a world where most people can't even code their way out of a paper bag, you are automatically good at making video games.

the environment that birthed this absolute disaster of game design? like the ONLY reason to put any time into this game is because it has a competitive mode with ranks and points but they fuck it up so bad that i still havent been able to put more than 50 hours into the game since release because its infuriating. its such an easy game to fix but too if the team werent so god damned incompetent. if there was some other fps with an actual competitive ladder type mode this game would die so fast

Nepenthe

the environment that birthed this absolute disaster of game design?

The one you keep talking about and presumably keep playing? Yes.

There are very few convincing contexts I'd entertain that determine Overwatch to overwhelmingly be a disaster of a game, even as much as I rage about stuff like Junkrat's (previous?) balance.

Edit: Wat? The only reason to play Overwatch is competitive mode? No really, wat? Seems to me the least likely reason to play it given how much bitching is had about SR balance and the inability to synergize with strangers as often as one would like. I play Arcade and Quick Play and couldn't be happier.

Seriously, at this point, I'd suggest taking Mei's advice.

HOLY SHIT GUYS! I DID IT! I FUCKING DID IT!

FFA VICTORY AS ANA!
V7tSuao.png

I'm so fucking hyped right now!

5 Characters remaining.

Widow
Rein
Zarya
Mercy
Lucio

Of those three, I've been practicing Widow, Rein, and Mercy regularly. I've placed 2nd with all of them multiple times. I've barely touched Zarya but I've mained her in previous seasons, so we'll see how that goes. Lucio on the other hand, I kind of forgot about him this whole time, and he's going to be a challenge for me. Will likely rework his button input.

I think if/when I get down to one last character, I might stream my attempts.

Lynchian

HOLY SHIT GUYS! I DID IT! I FUCKING DID IT!

FFA VICTORY AS ANA!
V7tSuao.png

I'm so fucking hyped right now!

5 Characters remaining.

Widow
Rein
Zarya
Mercy
Lucio

Of those three, I've been practicing Widow, Rein, and Mercy regularly. I've placed 2nd with all of them multiple times. I've barely touched Zarya but I've mained her in previous seasons, so we'll see how that goes. Lucio on the other hand, I kind of forgot about him this whole time, and he's going to be a challenge for me. Will likely rework his button input.

I think if/when I get down to one last character, I might stream my attempts.

Damn. Console aiming is painful to watch.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
would the feedback from the pro scene help.
this whole internal team just isn't working.

I'd bet you the Mercy rework is feedback from the 'pro scene' as they tend to complain about rez the most vocally
But the Doomfist nerf, for example, was feedback from the masses

the problem is they try to appeal to both and you can't do that in a hero based team based shooter. they need to find a side and stick with it(and honestly with them adding more and more heroes balancing around pro games is going to be a nightmare)

i agree wholeheartedly with that guy. Jeff should also be replaced

if your job is to make video games and you arent good at making video games, id say its warranted

the environment that birthed this absolute disaster of game design? like the ONLY reason to put any time into this game is because it has a competitive mode with ranks and points but they fuck it up so bad that i still havent been able to put more than 50 hours into the game since release because its infuriating. its such an easy game to fix but too if the team werent so god damned incompetent. if there was some other fps with an actual competitive ladder type mode this game would die so fast

You should apply for a job at Blizzard. You are extremely well spoken and clearly have a number of productive, fully-formed ideas that could represent a "quick win" for the Overwatch team.

Lucio would do well in the Chateau with all the opportunities for eviro kills, I'd think?

I tried that. My opponents wised up pretty quickly and just never came to that part of the map. :(

Tried it on Dorado as well with the giant health pack ledge, and the same thing happened.

Damn. Console aiming is painful to watch.

It's certainly a thing that has to be worked around. But I did just see that a Console player switched to PC but still used a Controller and recently broke in to the Top 500. So I guess it's not all bad.

Veelk

Banned
You should apply for a job at Blizzard. You are extremely well spoken and clearly have a number of productive, fully-formed ideas that could represent a "quick win" for the Overwatch team.

"Hey everyone, it's icecold from the overwatch team.

So, we're really excited about great update coming today. As of now, everyone with a rank below grandmasters is permanently banned from all game modes. We did this because we think this will greatly improve the experience for me. Overwatch is finally fixed!"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I stopped caring about favorites or characters months back. The only real kit I like from a challenging standpoint right now is sombras and there is almost no real reason to touch her setup right now anyway.

I mean I play a ton of characters but he is easily my favorite attack hero though I've been playing Sombra a lot lately just to ruin Tracers day. And sometimes I want a break from playing monkey.

I mean I play a ton of characters but he is easily my favorite attack hero though I've been playing Sombra a lot lately just to ruin Tracers day. And sometimes I want a break from playing monkey.

I played him almost exclusively in Comp after he was released. He was so fun, but I had to earn the respect of my teammate and prove I was worth being Doomfist over other more reliable DPS.

Then the nerf hit and I couldn't regularly prove that anymore. :(

pizzacat

Banned
I tried that. My opponents wised up pretty quickly and just never came to that part of the map. :(

Tried it on Dorado as well with the giant health pack ledge, and the same thing happened.

It's certainly a thing that has to be worked around. But I did just see that a Console player switched to PC but still used a Controller and recently broke in to the Top 500. So I guess it's not all bad.
Playing mercy only so the aim problem is still a thing

rulerk1

today could be the day i make it to masters. oh my god

What is with this phenomenon of support players playing dps when the team needs two support. I had a mtach today with a dude who played his 2 hour junkrat against the worst team comp to play him in instead of the combined 300 hrs as support. Dude was gm for three seasons too. like wtf

"Hey everyone, it's icecold from the overwatch team.

So, we're really excited about great update coming today. As of now, everyone with a rank below grandmasters is permanently banned from all game modes. We did this because we think this will greatly improve the experience for me. Overwatch is finally fixed!"

Below master would have been a more "accurate" jab tho

I have a solution that fixes everything. Un-nerf torb to how he was when his Turret fucking killed everything super fast and super easy. Do this one small thing jeff, and I will climb to the top.

Thank you.

Let me give some extra context for these changes.
First off, these changes will not be included with the other changes on the PTR, which will be coming out with the Halloween update. These Mercy changes are purely something that we're experimenting with, and there will likely be more changes coming to try out.
There was a bug where Mercy's Guardian Angel momentum wasn't slowed correctly sometimes when canceled. This was intensely frustrating for most Mercy players, but some players enjoyed trying to use this bug to gain extra mobility. This bug is important to fix so it doesn't feel like Mercy randomly gets out of your control, but we're looking seeing if there is a way to include some of what people enjoyed about this bug as new functionality for her.
To reiterate: These changes aren't hitting live any time soon. These are just things we want to try out for now, and they are likely to change.

At least Geoff says they aren't going to crap out Mercy's changes in an update next week.

they'll just wait until the next one

At least Geoff says they aren't going to crap out Mercy's changes in an update next week.

they'll just wait until the next one

Expected, no way something like this would make it live next week.

Also I agree with the guardian angel point, sometimes I wanted to rez and mercy went completely past my target not stopping as intended. It's not a frequent problem but still feels extremely unintuitive when it happens.

Nepenthe

I have a solution that fixes everything. Un-nerf torb to how he was when his Turret fucking killed everything super fast and super easy. Do this one small thing jeff, and I will climb to the top.

Thank you.

I feel like the turrets are fine, so long as you are crafty enough. However, I feel Torb needs better options to defend himself and his turrets with, because once a turret is down he's pretty vulnerable. I as Lucio shouldn't be posting up on a guy that is considered a legendary weapons expert. =/

Her Ult just feels so uninspired now. Just making a character do a lot of things a little better doesn't feel like an Ult. Not compared to how unique and special practically every other Ult in the game feels.
Yeah. IMO the change to her ult fundamentally changed the identity of the character and while it had its benefits (no more big team wipe fails) that was mercy. These “experiments” on the PTR sound like bandaids because they don’t actually know what she’s supposed to do anymore.

Chance

Her Ult just feels so uninspired now. Just making a character do a lot of things a little better doesn't feel like an Ult. Not compared to how unique and special practically every other Ult in the game feels.

This is precisely how I feel. It's not an ult in any sense of the word. It's a buff that now only lets her emulate a sub-par version of Orisa's ult or an infinitely nerfed Zen ult.

Bleugh.

Lemstar

I dunno. A game that has sustained a level of popularity like OW has can't be doing too much wrong in terms of entertaining its players.
I don't want to doompost too much, but a couple of publicly available metrics suggest that Overwatch's popularity is eroding significantly, and Blizzard has yet to announce a new account milestone despite multiple free weekends since hitting 30 million in April. I don't believe the game's sustaining as well as Blizzard wants you to think.

It'd cool to be wrong, but I doubt that Overwatch League is going to be a gamechanging success, either.

TrueBlue

I don't want to doompost too much, but a couple of publicly available metrics suggest that Overwatch's popularity is eroding significantly, and Blizzard has yet to announce a new account milestone despite multiple free weekends since hitting 30 million in April. I don't believe the game's sustaining as well as Blizzard wants you to think.

It'd cool to be wrong, but I doubt that Overwatch League is going to be a gamechanging success, either.

Huh. That's a shane, how significantly are we talking?

I finished my placement matches the other day and holy shit wait times are long. And now they put you in a skirmish while you wait even longer. Its just awful lmao

Frester

today could be the day i make it to masters. oh my god

What is with this phenomenon of support players playing dps when the team needs two support. I had a mtach today with a dude who played his 2 hour junkrat against the worst team comp to play him in instead of the combined 300 hrs as support. Dude was gm for three seasons too. like wtf

Probs tired of playing support tbh. I've been playing a lot less Zen lately because it can be maddening how much weight people expect you to carry when they're not filling their own roles or play in such a way that makes it impossible to play the support well.

Top Bottom