• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

So if there turns out to be a jester or plague doctor skin for Sombra, this basically confirms the 4chan leak? So far they got the Mcree Hunter skin right.

Basically completely overhaul everything about getting into games. Change QP modes, changed ranked queues. Seriously scrap their entire user experience and idea of how game modes work.

Make a decision to bring designs back towards high powered FPS demigods with explosive mechanics and less away from just being gimped ass MOBA characters that over rely on their teammates for everything.

I gave them well over a year since I started having these problems to remotely fix it. They didn't. In fact it's only gotten worse outside of some minor cases.
I've been in a bit of a similar situation and have been hard pressed to find the motivation to play Overwatch over any of the other rooty tooty point and shooty games in my rotation just because of how to a fault the game makes you co-dependent on randoms. I was pretty hopeful early on because the game was pretty malleable and while I had my issues, significant changes were on the horizon and the potential was there. But the game's solidified more and more into something to where it doesn't seem realistic to get what I want out of it anymore. It's a game that paradoxically feels like it expects too much to allow for a casual experience, but kneecaps you hard to feel very competitive.

Anne

The game you want is Quake Champions. That game might seem like it is ripping off overwatch with heroes or whatever but it doesn't play like OW at all, it's still FPS ass FPS and every character is individually powerful, you can make a difference by yourself and of course no shitty objectives like OW.

I'm well aware of what the game is, I'm just not sold on it yet. Seems neat.

I've been in a bit of a similar situation and have been hard pressed to find the motivation to play Overwatch over any of the other rooty tooty point and shooty games in my rotation just because of how to a fault the game makes you co-dependent on randoms. I was pretty hopeful early on because the game was pretty malleable and while I had my issues, significant changes were on the horizon and the potential was there. But the game's solidified more and more into something to where it doesn't seem realistic to get what I want out of it anymore. It's a game that paradoxically feels like it expects too much to allow for a casual experience, but kneecaps you hard to feel very competitive.

Basically this too. Part of the issue isn't even that the game is that bad. It's just the more it gets figured out, the more it turns into a game where you just rely on grouping into a play. I can't shit on Blizzard too much for that, but I can say a lot of their games end up with this feel to it and I'm personally not into that particular flavor.

I will say the design decisions they made, while some good for the sake of balance, have definitely pushed the game into this state as well as how players figured things out. Hell, some of those changes I wanted not realizing how it would basically neuter shit later on down the road. I just didn't expect shit like Ana or D.Va or Winston or even Lucio would turn out post universal ult nerf. I also never expected Roadhog to get dumpstered or for DPS to become a mostly different class.

randome

Thats my biggest issue with the game, thats i guess just unavoidable: you're at the mercy of whoever you get grouped with. Conversely, it's amazing when you meld perfectly with a bunch of random people. I love and hate soloQ.

Gorillaz

I thought the same as Anne last year giving it a year to see how it goes but more so about how dependant the game is on teammates to the point you can't really impact much on your own. It's too many hurdles mentally to just play and alot of games are lost in the spawn room before the door opens. It was my biggest fear of OW last year and one of the reasons I put Titanfall 2 over it as the better shooter of the year. OW doesn't have much freedom to actually play or do what you want without reminding you that a teammate can negate it all.

It also doesn't help that it has identity issues in wanting to be both competitive and causal at the same time

pizzacat

Banned
They must balance for one community and one only

Everyone else will follow.

Giving low skill ceiling, simple characters power over others doesn't nothing in casual play

Blizzard Arena looks so bleak, dark, sad. I'm not seeing any big screens for the audience too?

Can't enjoy this when the audio is low or bad even if the teams are stacked today.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So if there turns out to be a jester or plague doctor skin for Sombra, this basically confirms the 4chan leak? So far they got the Mcree Hunter skin right.
Leak seeming more and more like bullshit

The mere skin was pretty obvious as everyone was asking for it last year dye to the comic

And why would sombre and Ana get a jester and plague doctor skin when muskrat has a jester skin and reaper has a plague doctor skin

Why do they even have a PTR if they never eve respond to feedback and don't utilize changes?

Like seriously when was the last thing that didn't make it to live?

Basically this too. Part of the issue isn't even that the game is that bad. It's just the more it gets figured out, the more it turns into a game where you just rely on grouping into a play. I can't shit on Blizzard too much for that, but I can say a lot of their games end up with this feel to it and I'm personally not into that particular flavor.

I will say the design decisions they made, while some good for the sake of balance, have definitely pushed the game into this state as well as how players figured things out. Hell, some of those changes I wanted not realizing how it would basically neuter shit later on down the road. I just didn't expect shit like Ana or D.Va or Winston or even Lucio would turn out post universal ult nerf. I also never expected Roadhog to get dumpstered or for DPS to become a mostly different class.

I wrote about a lot of Overwatch's problems a long time ago but you couldn't be critical of the game back then.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=225875843&highlight=#post225875843

I would say most of these problems are still present but some stuff is outdated. This was written before the Lucio rework for example. But I got my ass roasted with a picture of kermit the frog on fire. My position is essentially unchanged but the stuff I've written has gotten positive reactions now that the honey moon period ended. I remember some people were saying that Overwatch was this Ur-game and that shooters like Quake and Unreal were no longer relevant. It's kind of funny to think about that now that Overwaffle is getting pasted by Cuphead on twitch.

I just wanted Teamfortress 3 with waifus and instead I got Smite 2 with even more memes. Oh well, at least I have the warm bitterness from being right on the internet.

Had a FFA match this morning with four Junkrats running about simultaneously; three of them finished in the top four, and one was leading the match but dc'd near the end.

Ragnarok

Was rooting for Cloud 9 haha. First time I've watched videogames where I got invested as if I were watching a good sports match so that's cool!

Why do they even have a PTR if they never eve respond to feedback and don't utilize changes?

Like seriously when was the last thing that didn't make it to live?

Zen Discord change, and they often tweak numbers. It isn't useless, but I also don't think they've communicated about the vision of the game or the PTR much. Even though Kaplan is one of the most visible directors in gaming, I don't know what he wants Overwatch to look like as a game.

Just a question for anyone really, i've got a 5 loot-box code from the twitch prime loot stuff. I don't play overwatch and if anyone wants it just be the first to reply to this message. Its 5 standard loot-boxes so none of the fancy event ones. and no guaranteed legendarys, i gave away that one ages ago.

Blues1990

Just a question for anyone really, i've got a 5 loot-box code from the twitch prime loot stuff. I don't play overwatch and if anyone wants it just be the first to reply to this message. Its 5 standard loot-boxes so none of the fancy event ones. and no guaranteed legendarys, i gave away that one ages ago.

I'm down.

ISOM

Playing Mercy and flying around superfast with her ult is fun. But all these rezzes -_-. Mercy is permarun now lol.

Shredderi

Anyone else feel like Blizz maybe regretting the whole Mercy Rez mechanic a bit? I have a feeling like they're looking back on it now and feel it makes balancing a lot harder because it's such a poweful mechanic and the whole game tends to revolve around it at times. They're seemingly nerfing the mechanic bit by bit and boosting others to make it still viable. The dream of course is that they would work into a build of Mercy that has some changes that makes her viable and fun without rez at all.

Zen Aku

Overwatch is probably one of the worst community I've ever been in. People rather lose games than switch characters. It's like wasting time and losing because of your ego is more important than swallowing your pride and try to win.

Anyone else feel like Blizz maybe regretting the whole Mercy Rez mechanic a bit? I have a feeling like they're looking back on it now and feel it makes balancing a lot harder because it's such a poweful mechanic and the whole game tends to revolve around it at times. They're seemingly nerfing the mechanic bit by bit and boosting others to make it still viable. The dream of course is that they would work into a build of Mercy that has some changes that makes her viable and fun without rez at all.

Wish they would just delete her honestly, she's cancer to the game.

Overwatch is probably one of the worst community I've ever been in. People rather lose games than switch characters. It's like wasting time and losing because of your ego is more important than swallowing your pride and try to win.

Truth.

Talonz

And it's at all SR ranks of the game too. Blizzard just seems to put their head in the sand at the problem too.

Shredderi

This is so true. Either it's because of ego or because of "having fun".

I wrote about a lot of Overwatch's problems a long time ago but you couldn't be critical of the game back then.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=225875843&highlight=#post225875843

I would say most of these problems are still present but some stuff is outdated. This was written before the Lucio rework for example. But I got my ass roasted with a picture of kermit the frog on fire. My position is essentially unchanged but the stuff I've written has gotten positive reactions now that the honey moon period ended. I remember some people were saying that Overwatch was this Ur-game and that shooters like Quake and Unreal were no longer relevant. It's kind of funny to think about that now that Overwaffle is getting pasted by Cuphead on twitch.

I just wanted Teamfortress 3 with waifus and instead I got Smite 2 with even more memes. Oh well, at least I have the warm bitterness from being right on the internet.
Oof, the amount of shitposting that just amount to "hey look, a long post". Though a lot of what you touched on there are things that I've found true as well, especially with how homogeneous the BM can be to where something managed to get filtered into something with a bit more variety, heh.

Gorillaz

this was always going to be the outcome everyone told themselves else wise because they liked the art style, approach, "an fps that's not really an fps" and general honeymoon phase

Of course my final game to get into Masters is getting Gate Keepered by fucking Nepal.

I swear I hate Capture maps with a passion

Yup, getting steamrolled by a Roadhog and Junkrat while our Reaper is doing jack shit.

Yup, one of our DPS literally got butthurt we werent winning the first round and threw himself off a ledge every respawn.

I love this game

Then I get Illos next game....

Talonz

They did in the beginning. People abused the method so they don't have to play against better players.

It was a good system except for that side effect. I wish they would have tweaked it instead of just abolishing it. Maybe they can't be on your team, but the other side? If there are a ton of avoid players against an account they need to look at it manually and see what is going on. If it's too good player syndrome then they need to make the account immune to avoid player and have the reporting system as the fall through for the account.

Top Bottom