• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Talonz

Principal Designer Geoff Goodman said it does cuz they compare you to everyone else using the same hero in your SR range. He posted it in the Blizzard forums. This was why people started using off meta heroes more to boost SR rank. He revealed too much about the system, imo.

Also if you switch Heroes mid-match, you get penalized too! Your stats for all the heroes you played in that match won't be as good as if you played one hero the entire match. Your SR will suffer because of it.

Oh, and thank fuck I can turn the music and voices off. I don't need to listen to your shitty lore and character development blizzard. Just do what you do k?

Also if you switch Heroes mid-match, you get penalized too! Your stats for all the heroes you played in that match won't be as good as if you played one hero the entire match. Your SR will suffer because of it.

Haha, are you KIDDING me? So they penalize you for trying to adapt to the enemy comp? Hows Team Fortress 2 doing these days? It's free now right? Dp.

Ramirez

Who says Mercy POTG are boring??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Ji0s2Il-4

xQ8Gjmu.jpg

God I love hate mail.

Fucking lulz.

No wonder no one will switch.

I will switch to win. Not switching might end up causing a loss.

I know. I was just being facetious. It's just really dumb.

I hope they eventually add way more heroes or something because the same meta that changes with every update is so stale and boring. There's hardly ever any room for experimentation. Overwatch just becomes this one thing that works until they change things up and then becomes this one thing again. Nothing new and exciting ever happens it's just the same old strategy or a losing team.

You know how you gain SR? Winning games! Why would you NOT switch to try to win games, because you might gain 3 SR less if you had stayed the same character? Who fucking cares!
I can't believe how seriously people are taking this

You know how you gain SR? Winning games! Why would you NOT switch to try to win games, because you might gain 3 SR less if you had stayed the same character? Who fucking cares!

I always switch to counter. But the system as it is needs to change because it'll discourage switching. People are already stubborn as is when it comes to switching up their strategy midgame.

MCD

I switched mid-game from D.va to Tracer because no one was healing me yesterday and won. Switch is a must imo.

The only time I won't switch mid-game is Mercy. It can be pretty demoralizing when you see your only support switch up. Unless someone asks me or I'm really sucking I'll wait until the next round to switch.

MCD

The only time I won't switch mid-game is Mercy. It can be pretty demoralizing when you see your only support switch up. Unless someone asks me or I'm really sucking I'll wait until the next round to switch.

I'd switch from Mercy if I kept on dying (whether I fucked up or teammates not protecting me). If my team are selfish and no one's gonna go healer then why can't I be selfish too?

Geneijin

It's more about the people who don't flex. They're rewarded for ignoring team goals like dealing with a Pharmercy combo by losing less and gaining more merely by inflating stats with the one character they stuck with the entire game. It's enough of a difference where you can climb with a <50% win rate.

I'd switch from Mercy if I kept on dying (whether I fucked up or teammates not protecting me). If my team are selfish and no one's gonna go healer then why can't I be selfish too?

Yeah, I'll very grudgingly switch if I'm dying a lot. It takes a lot of pushback for me to switch from Mercy. If my team isn't protecting me and is spamming me with heals I'll probably switch.

Btw I tried Dual Zone and immediately switched back to Exponential Ramp. Something about the verticality felt off to me, it felt too close to the horizontal value. I prefer my vertical aim to have more resistance.

_Legacy_

I will switch mid-game if it helps the team, to anything that helps us deal with certain threats or to counter.

I didn't realise you can potentially get penalised if you switch. I guess it goes both ways though right? I've switched off healer to a dps in KOTH and ended up with several gold medals, so my stats would look better because I've died less but racked up kills and damage.

Yager

Banned

But solo healer as Mercy is SO MUCH FUN

cries

I don't mind switching heroes if that means we get a chance to win the game. I don't care if I get less SR, I'll take over losing a match any day. People who don't switch even if they're playing like shit are the worse (specially people that go DPS and can't get kills).

LiK

Indeed, gotta flex to win. You might lose less SR but it's still a loss and you're just basically throwing by trying to boost your SR which is counterproductive to your team. I will always switch because the SR gains from sticking with one hero isn't even worth that much. If you know you're being hard countered by the enemy and you won't switch, you only have yourself to blame.

So after lowering the Vertical sens down to the single digits, I found aiming to a little less cumbersome. Using linear zone.

Ana's a lot of fun, but I can only run her with tank heavy comps.

Fugu

The reason things like people not switching even if it causes them to lose happen is because your analysis of the situation is actually wrong. Generally speaking, you will end up with a higher SR in the long run by not switching and taking the loss unless you happen to be very good at the character you're switching to.

Blizzard is incentivizing the wrong behavior. It isn't the players' fault for adapting to a bad system.

edbrat

The reason things like people not switching even if it causes them to lose happen is because your analysis of the situation is actually wrong. Generally speaking, you will end up with a higher SR in the long run by not switching and taking the loss unless you happen to be very good at the character you're switching to.

Blizzard is incentivizing the wrong behavior. It isn't the players' fault for adapting to a bad system.

I'm surprised by this, hasn't Jeff talked about the importance of switching characters and not sticking with one? Are we sure you get penalised for switching mid-game, how does one test this?

seriously. how does blizz even do mmr. i have like 22hr each with zen and anna. why do they keep throwing more supports on my team. i check the other team, they have the right balance.

dawgparty

Now that I'm at 1900 SR I can't get out at all. I usually tank or heal but I feel like with either of these it's REALLY hard to affect the game enough to carry. Especially because my tank of choice is Zarya and she needs some backup.

Finally played some comp games and I went 3-0. I was even out of my comfort zone. For some reason everyone kept locking healers, so I got to play tank for all my games.

It's frustrating to me because I switch often, usually will play different characters on Attack/Defense, etc. And that's the way the game is supposed to be played - fluid, adapting to team comps, exploiting weaknesses. And yet because I flex around I'm worth less in competitive apparently over one-trick Mercy mains who get boosted to GM.

Is there any hope on the horizon that Blizzard is going to adjust anything for season 6? Or is it just going to be more of this shit from here on out?

Ramirez

lol so the damage builds up during rez invulnerability? didn't know that

Yup, it's a great time to use it, although I was not expecting her to do it there. I popped it because she was hiding behind the payload and just wanted to give her no escape, and got lucky, lol.

What sensitivity do you guys use on console? Just curious.

I was using 50H 40V, last night I changed it to 55/45 and played some mystery heroes.

Took a game or 2 but it feels better. I may take the horizontal to 60, but the vertical feels good to me.

Dual zone btw.

Question for you guys: relative new OW player just jumping into competitive...

I was under the impression it was actual matchmaking? The sides seem more lopsided than in quick play! Or is this just something during placement matches?

I really hope the "matchmaking" isn't just awarding a certain amount of points for beating or losing to a team that is x% better/worse than your team...

I was under the impression it was actual matchmaking? The sides seem more lopsided than in quick play! Or is this just something during placement matches?

I really hope the "matchmaking" isn't just awarding a certain amount of points for beating or losing to a team that is x% better/worse than your team...
Uhhhh that's not what matchmaking is.

That's what competitive OW is tho. But it's a lot more needlessly complicated based on individual performance for some reason.

This is a team game. My advice is find people you enjoy playing with and group up as much as possible. Seems lopsided when u solo queue because once shit goes South people throw n stuff.

Fugu

If you're a new player your first few matches are going to be wonky due to the high variances in skill in your games. The matchmaker has to do a lot of guessing when it comes to new players and some pretty big differences can come about with 12 new players.

I'm surprised by this, hasn't Jeff talked about the importance of switching characters and not sticking with one? Are we sure you get penalised for switching mid-game, how does one test this?
This is relatively easy to test yourself but there are millions of preexisting samples to look at.

It is known that an individual contribution factor exists and that this is affected by your hero stats relative to what others at your level accomplish. Since changing heroes invariably causes you to perform less well on these metrics (particularly if you change roles), you gain less SR.

We totally carried our team in the wins especially the Horizon one.

The best part of the night was being accused of throwing when you picked Solider and I picked Mercy on Gibraltar.

They did? I'm glad I missed that, it would of thrown me off lol. I don't take verbal abuse well in OW it kills my concentration.

Btw does everyone here use dual zone then? What does it do exactly? Like I previously stated, it feels like it makes verticality too loose. I need that weighty resistance to vertical cuz it helps me align and strafe headshot without losing that v too much.

Top Bottom