• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Veelk

Banned
It seems ridiculous but it wouldn't be so bad if you couldn't move it as far as you can and/or he didn't have such long "hangtime"

Yup.

Something's gotta give. Right now, literally everything about Doomfist is fantastic.

His mobility is amazing. His DPS is incredible. His ability cooldowns are short. His gun automatically reloads itself while you use your abilities, meaning you have no downtime if you alternate with your abilities. His health is higher than normal and can reach Tank levels of HP. His ult makes him immune to damage, even though he's still able to contest the payload and heal himself.

Other than a stronger than usual reliance on his abilities, there seems to be no downside to this character.

Gorillaz

It's unspoken but everyone knows he will get nerfed after PTR and a bunch between now and the next new character at blizz con

Blizzard already deleted one character lets see how long it will take to delete this one

Roadhog in his previous form made the game less fun to play. Hes fine now. He could use a slight buff but honestly he's a tank. Team him up with any close range dmg and it's game over. Tanks should require teamwork to get things done, they're tanks.

I can agree with the first part I guess, but no hero should have as terrible pick rates as hog or his current win rate. The last part is up for debate but you can argue that Roadhog is a tank because he creates space through pulling people out of position. I get your points and somewhat agree, but he is nowhere near balanced currently.

Funny, those barriers that Roadhog is also extremely good at destroying.

So you're only counting the seasons that are beneficial to you then?
1ltoz3MlB93.jpg

i1481622044966470.jpeg

Why would you use statistics from December to judge his power level now? Yes he was overpowered then, and so was D.Va, Ana, and Lucio. All of those characters have been changed to become worse. Your bias towards Hog is showing.

Yup.

Something's gotta give. Right now, literally everything about Doomfist is fantastic.

His mobility is amazing. His DPS is incredible. His ability cooldowns are short. His gun automatically reloads itself while you use your abilities, meaning you have no downtime if you alternate with your abilities. His health is higher than normal and can reach Tank levels of HP. His ult makes him immune to damage, even though he's still able to contest the payload and heal himself.

Other than a stronger than usual reliance on his abilities, there seems to be no downside to this character.

Idk about no downsides watching Seagull it seems like you can get the best of him really easily and bait him. Of Course this is like the first day, so as ppl get used to seeing him and ppl get used to playing him we'll see what gives.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Doomfist fires 6 pellets at 11 damage each and there's no damage fall off at all. Even with spread that gives him a surprisingly long range, especially since the spread is actually fairly tight.

I'd say his gun's range is noticeably better than Sombra's, even though your shots have a tiny bit of a travel time.

At 40m, he can reliably take off about half of Pharah's health in a single 4 shot clip.

antitrop

Doomfist fires 6 pellets at 11 damage each and there's no damage fall off at all. Even with spread that gives him a surprisingly long range, especially since the spread is actually fairly tight.

I'd say his gun's range is noticeably better than Sombra's, even though your shots have a tiny bit of a travel time.

At 40m, he can reliably take off about half of Pharah's health in a single 4 shot clip.

The falloff on his primary is 7-10m, according to some post on Reddit that was testing this shit.

Veelk

Banned
Idk about no downsides watching Seagull it seems like you can get the best of him really easily and bait him. Of Course this is like the first day, so as ppl get used to seeing him and ppl get used to playing him we'll see what gives.

Here's the difference though: Every other character, even the new ones, had some clear weakness. Some examples:

Tracer has the smallest healthpool of any character, making her clearly fragile. Mercy is not able to shoot a weapon while she's healing. Orisa is huge, slow and has a ridiculously long reload. Winston's gun is very weak. Without even playing the game, you can clearly tell what a vulnerability of these characters would be, just by looking over the basic abilities and design.

I don't see that with Doomfist. High health, good speed, good power, small cooldowns, automatic reload. He's amazingly good at seemingly everything.

Gorillaz

Here's the difference though: Every other character, even the new ones, had some clear weakness. Some examples:

Tracer has the smallest healthpool of any character, making her clearly fragile. Mercy is not able to shoot a weapon while she's healing. Orisa is huge, slow and has a ridiculously long reload. Winston's gun is very weak. Without even playing the game, you can clearly tell what a vulnerability of these characters would be, just by looking over the basic abilities and design.

I don't see that with Doomfist. High health, good speed, good power, small cooldowns, automatic reload. He's amazingly good at seemingly everything.

Doomfist has a severe case of tunnel vision with alot of his movements tho. In a actual competitive arena against a well communicated team He's not going to be eating that well. Just because seagull is styling on kids in PTR doesn't mean Doom is god status. He does look good right now tho.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The falloff on his primary is 7-10m, according to some post on Reddit that was testing this shit.

Well, I don't know about the exact numbers, but from my own testing i can say with confidence his range is noticeably better than sombra's. About half way between Sombra and McCree.

I guess that puts him as having about the 8th best range in the game, from my experience.

Veelk

Banned
Doomfist has a severe case of tunnel vision with alot of his movements tho. In a actual competitive arena against a well communicated team He's not going to be eating that well. Just because seagull is styling on kids in PTR doesn't mean Doom is god status. He does look good right now tho.

You can argue just as easily that this is people not being able to use him well enough to avoid mistakes since he's new.

Tunnel vision is a player dependent mistake. It's not inherent to the character itself. So, mechanically speaking, he seems without weakness.

rulerk1

How did Seagull so good? It's kind of unfair lol

Dafran is streaming again.....and getting subscribers and donations......

exYle

Yup.

Remember when Sombra was OP

Remember when Orisa was OP

I remember

Gorillaz

You can argue just as easily that this is people not being able to use him well enough to avoid mistakes since he's new.

Tunnel vision is a player dependent mistake. It's not inherent to the character itself. So, mechanically speaking, he seems without weakness.

He is also, just as you said, new. Like he hasn't even been on ptr for more then 12 hours. Alot of his kit is about jumping into the fray and starting shit. That can easily be punished by the right team.

Like I"m getting sombra flashbacks when people were saying she would change the meta. Let it sit for a few days first yall

ISOM

How did Seagull so good? It's kind of unfair lol

Dafran is streaming again.....and getting subscribers and donations......

Troller gotta support trollers.

And as for Seagull...yeah.. I wouldn't make any judgements on Doomfist based on his play because Genji looks broken in his hands as well.

Veelk

Banned
Remember when Sombra was OP

Remember when Orisa was OP

I remember

I wrote about this earlier. Sombra seemed threatening because she had a new ability that we didn't have a reference for how to counter. I think I remember people commenting how her gun was weak even then, but hacking was just a new thing we had no idea how it would work. For me, Sombra was more of a conceptual concern, since having your abiltiies taken away is a scary thing. As for Orisa, I never thought she'd be overpowered. Maybe others did, but her weaknesses were very apparent to me even in at the reveal.

But anyway, Doomfist isn't as alien a hero in terms of abilities as Sombra was. He's damage leading, close range attacker. We have that in other heroes, like Reinhardt, or Ulting Genji or so. Except we can clearly point to weaknesses of those characters, even without playing them. Reinhardt is huge and has limited projectile ability and his charge comes with a huge risk. Genji's hard to aim with because of the nature of his shuriken fire. These are mechanical weaknesses that you can see even without playing. And that's what I don't see with Doomfist.

I still might be wrong. You're 100% right that what looks OP on paper isn't necessarily OP in practice. But for now, paper is what we have, and on paper, Doomfist looks scary af

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Have you been watching Seagull's stream? Dude is dominating and is gonna main Doomfist for now.
Seagull isn't representative of the playerbase as a whole, lol and I meant Genji vs. Doomfist, sorry should've been more clear. :(

ISOM

Seagull isn't representative of the playerbase as a whole, lol and I meant Genji vs. Doomfist, sorry should've been more clear. :(

I know but you were asking for Genji mains..so I'm guessing they will like him like Seagull because of the mobility.

Edit: Didn't see the rest of your sentence. But what I've seen so far, is that Genji kinda gets owned especially if they both have their ults up.

Nimby

Banned
Find someone who talks about you the way Seagull talks about Doomfist.

His passive seems kinda "there" honestly. Doesn't seem like he needs it like Sombra and her wallhack.

exYle

I wrote about this earlier. Sombra seemed threatening because she had a new ability that we didn't have a reference for how to counter. I think I remember people commenting how her gun was weak even then, but hacking was just a new thing we had no idea how it would work. For me, Sombra was more of a conceptual concern, since having your abiltiies taken away is a scary thing. As for Orisa, I never thought she'd be overpowered. Maybe others did, but her weaknesses were very apparent to me even in at the reveal.

But anyway, Doomfist isn't as alien a hero in terms of abilities as Sombra was. He's damage leading, close range attacker. We have that in other heroes, like Reinhardt, or Ulting Genji or so. Except we can clearly point to weaknesses of those characters, even without playing them. Reinhardt is huge and has limited projectile ability and his charge comes with a huge risk. Genji's hard to aim with because of the nature of his shuriken fire. These are mechanical weaknesses that you can see even without playing. And that's what I don't see with Doomfist.

I still might be wrong. You're 100% right that what looks OP on paper isn't necessarily OP in practice. But for now, paper is what we have, and on paper, Doomfist looks scary af

The only one of his abilities that does a scary amount of damage is his alt-fire, and only fully charged at that, AND only if it A) actually connects and B) the enemy hits the wall. His shotgun is less effective than Reaper's and his two juggling abilities are pretty weak for damage. Both of them have an 8 second cooldown without Genji's reset, so his vertical mobility is fairly limited. And the alt-fire's hitbox seems about as big as Reinhardt's charge. His passive allows him to commit to a dive, which is what he has to do - Doomfist has escape options but none of which are as good as Genji's or Tracer's. He can be punished pretty hard

He has limitations...

1.) His hitbox is roughly the size of Zarya (big hitbox for an offense hero), instead of the smaller frame hitboxes other "offense" heroes have
2.) Projectile instead of hitscan, if he was hitscan he would be OP
3.) Main weapon has a spread, similar to a shotgun

It's still way to early to speculate about the abilities being OP right now, he literally just came out and the community in general has been way wrong about everything involving balance.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I don't play Genji, but even a no charge rocket punch seems to do enough damage to make the fight extremely one sided, and I haven't met a genji that can dodge it yet.

Pls stop looking at Seagull playing doomfist against a bunch of silver and gold players and demolishing them saying how overpowered he is

You can Watch Tviq scrimming against other pro players in custom games using Doomfist
http://www.twitch.tv/tvique

I was just about to post the VOD to this. In an organized team environment (albeit with some of the best players in the world) Doomfist was not performing very well.

Veelk

Banned
The only one of his abilities that does a scary amount of damage is his alt-fire, and only fully charged at that, AND only if it A) actually connects and B) the enemy hits the wall. His shotgun is less effective than Reaper's and his two juggling abilities are pretty weak for damage. Both of them have an 8 second cooldown without Genji's reset, so his vertical mobility is fairly limited. And the alt-fire's hitbox seems about as big as Reinhardt's charge. His passive allows him to commit to a dive, which is what he has to do - Doomfist has escape options but none of which are as good as Genji's or Tracer's. He can be punished pretty hard

Sure, if you use all those things individually, but that's not how you play the game, you combine them. I know not all of us are seagull, but you can easily dive in with a charge, then use your abilities to dive out using both verticality and horizontal mobility. His shotgun is weaker than Reaper's, true, but that doesn't mean it's weak, and it being on an automatic reload is a subtle but huge advantage that is going to help with damage dealing. And combine with the fact that he gets shields, and combined with the fact that his ult makes him invulnerable, and combined, etc, etc.

Second, I agree that something like Tracer's rewind is a better escape option, but that's not a mechanical weakness to not have the absolute best escape option. Which is what I'm getting at. Doomfist may not be the absolute best at literally anything he does (Reaper out-shotguns him, Tracer has better escape options, etc), but a mechanical weakness isn't just not being the absolute best in the game at a particular thing, it's about being weaker than the average. Everything about him though seems atleast better than average, and when you combine that all into one character, that combined is what can make him OP.

Still, I nevertheless agree this is ultimately speculation until we get to play him ourselves. I'm not losing my head over this. It's just a concern to watch out for.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
So wait, Doomfist has like, all of Dante's signature moves? Stinger, High Time, Helm Splitter, and even a regenerating health mechanic. He looks really fun to play though, and it'll be interesting to see how those traditional action mechanics play out in a FPS.

It seems much too early to say if he's gonna be OP though, his limited effective range, big hitbox, and middling escape tools could easily keep him in check I think.

Nimby

Banned
I was just about to post the VOD to this. In an organized team environment (albeit with some of the best players in the world) Doomfist was not performing very well.

Well, neither did Ana. People are just now starting to learn how busted Sombra is.

Ramirez

So, I bought the PC version on a whim to try out Doomfist, lol. I then remembered my PC is terrible, I'm struggling to maintain 40 FPS on Medium, ugh. This grind to 25 might actually take me months.

Owzers

So, I bought the PC version on a whim to try out Doomfist, lol. I then remembered my PC is terrible, I'm struggling to maintain 40 FPS on Medium, ugh. This grind to 25 might actually take me months.

We can't afford more people leaving PS4.

Nimby

Banned
If I recall correctly a lot of pro players thought Ana was good at launch they just weren't good with her yet.

The same applies then. Seagull thinks he's pretty busted, kill potential he has in enclosed rooms is pretty insane. And he definitely doesn't have "middling escape options"

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
People in PTR losing their minds if you don't lock in Doomfist in No Limits. lol

I know, it's crazy.

I want there to be more pharahs just to practice aim leading and uppercut rocketpunches on them.

The same applies then. Seagull thinks he's pretty busted, kill potential he has in enclosed rooms is pretty insane. And he definitely doesn't have "middling escape options"

Seagull hasn't played him in a competitive environment yet, and certainly not in any scrims.

Top Bottom