• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Ended up going 3-1 tonight in comp solo queue. Every match people were on mics, no toxicity, good groups, and the match we lost was that marathon game which was still fine (except for a short episode where I kept yelling "get the Mercy" to my team and they proceeded to try and attack everyone but the Mercy, who healed everyone they attacked, and then they all died and Mercy rezzed the people they did kill).

Faith in OW restored a little between having a good comp night tonight and Doomfist looking pretty cool.

You got screwed by the change they made to stat tracking. Used to be they took an entire game's stats and compared them to others, now it's 10 minute chunks.

It's a helpful change, except when it's not, like in your particular case.

Dang. It's weird though - like I expected to get low SR from the Hanamura game just because I played two characters and it didn't last particularly long. I would have just thought I would have lost less SR for the longer game especially since I stayed as Zen the whole time and did pretty well in the stats they track for him for SR. Ah well. At this point I'm just going to stop caring about the particulars of how much SR I gain/lose a match simply because unless Blizzard specifically says they're going to improve it's calculations by next season, there's no real point in wondering about it.

God dammit.

I feel like every game today I have to have someone that goes widow, that does horribly at it and refuses to get off. It's so hard playing 5v6.

I'm shook. I climbed 350 SR today only playing support heroes, guess that just goes to show most of these hoes don't know how to position themselves as a support

Dang. It's weird though - like I expected to get low SR from the Hanamura game just because I played two characters and it didn't last particularly long. I would have just thought I would have lost less SR for the longer game especially since I stayed as Zen the whole time and did pretty well in the stats they track for him for SR. Ah well. At this point I'm just going to stop caring about the particulars of how much SR I gain/lose a match simply because unless Blizzard specifically says they're going to improve it's calculations by next season, there's no real point in wondering about it.

My anecdotal explanation is that Overwatch has an MMR rank for you. If you rise above it they start nerfing your SR. If you fall below it they give you more SR. Maybe OW has decided you are rising too high compared to your hidden MMR?

The irony is that I play two main Comp accounts. Same characters on both, for the most part. One has an MMR in high Silver, low Gold. One is mid-Gold. OW punishes or rewards me if I move 100+ SR in either direction on both accounts.

God dammit.

I feel like every game today I have to have someone that goes widow, that does horribly at it and refuses to get off. It's so hard playing 5v6.

Yeah, the "Gambler's Fallacy" applies to the snipers in OW. They think that it doesn't matter if they secure zero kills throughout the match, because they're going to get that solo Team Kill that wins the match, eventually.

I don't play snipers, in any game, but this thinking still baffles me. If I'm failing at my character's job, I switch. Always.

School being out for the summer is definitely having an impact on game quality across the board -- I even noticed it in comp. I'm US, if you are too add me up on bnet:

darkatnight#1407

i'm on EU :( I usually get 100-120ms lag in the US, so I don't know id anything can be done :(

So does everyone play comp here? Has anyone gone back to qp or arcade exclusively? I feel like the only people here who play OW do it for comp. To be honest, I only migrated to comp cuz I figured that it was where all the real team work happens, but it doesn't really feel any different then qp. I think I'm gonna try going back, see how it pans out.

Owzers

2-4 today in comp, kinda blah. A good Mercy game, a not terrible reaper game, a Torb win, and a terrrrrrible pharah game. I shouldn't play pharah. Doomfist will give me more attacker options when I flex my skills picking last. Though I'll have to instalock that...

Lemstar

You got screwed by the change they made to stat tracking. Used to be they took an entire game's stats and compared them to others, now it's 10 minute chunks.

It's a helpful change, except when it's not, like in your particular case.
the 10 minute chunking is only for display as far as anyone knows

Gorillaz

So does everyone play comp here? Has anyone gone back to qp or arcade exclusively? I feel like the only people here who play OW do it for comp. To be honest, I only migrated to comp cuz I figured that it was where all the real team work happens, but it doesn't really feel any different then qp. I think I'm gonna try going back, see how it pans out.
I think lik and owzer do stacked quick play some times idk about others. Also take a step bsck from comp if you have to I did last week.

I think lik and owzer do stacked quick play some times idk about others. Also take a step bsck from comp if you have to I did last week.

Yeah I'm totally taking a break from comp. I don't enjoy it anymore and I'm trying to force it too much. QP is gonna be my jam for the remainder of this season I think. I've just had two games and I was having a ton of fun :)

Also, nothing beats OW and a giantbomb, mysterious universe, double toasted or film sack podcast :p

Yeah I'm totally taking a break from comp. I don't enjoy it anymore and I'm trying to force it too much. QP is gonna be my jam for the remainder of this season I think. I've just had two games and I was having a ton of fun :)

Also, nothing beats OW and a giantbomb, mysterious universe, double toasted or film sack podcast :p

My man, I love my OW Arcade Grind for the week with a random long GB Video in the background

Owzers

I might try to get a quick play group together this weekend to practice Sombra, but it would still require teamwork and not everyone making silly picks.

Loot Box grind with old BeastCasts is my jam. Just grinded tonight to everyone explaining the horrific Halloween pranks they played as teens. Fuck teens.

Doomfist's design is a little lacking, but I guess it fits his corny name. It's all a bit too comicbook-y for my taste. The character concept seems fine though. His kit and mobility make him a good alternative for several heroes. The only concern I have is that he seems highly compatible with the popular dive comps. I was hoping his inclusion would counter that strat, but I guess that was never going to happen with an offensive hero.

I wonder where Doomfist will land once the usual "new hero is OP/shit" waves have passed.

That voiceover bloke they got is 100 times more suited to Doomfist than Terry Crews.

I'm so glad they didn't give in to stupid Internet peer pressure.
Yeah, same. The guy they have now seems to fit well, and Terry Crews would probably have played Terry Crews again, like he always does.

I exclusively play QP and Arcade. Season 1 was just an ugly experience to me, filled with bigotry and backseat gaming. Most people seemed frustrated that they couldn't break (back) into 70, and needed blamed anyone but themselves. QP and Arcade might be a clown show, but the only times I see toxicity is between competitive seasons and the week after new content are introduced.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I actually reached platinum after threatening to quit a couple days ago. Turns out all I needed to do was turn off all comms so I don't get tilted by the types of people who blame everyone but themselves for the loss.

Yager

Banned
This game feels so much different when playing with a good team. Last night with 5-6 stack we went 6-0, and the matches weren't even fair. The only one in which we struggled was Horizon attack, but managed to cap the first point in overtime and then we took B pretty easily. The other couldn't even get A when we were defending. We were playing FUCKING GREAT and not even communicating that much, only the essential stuff, because everybody knew what to do in their respective role. I was so happy yo be able to play Winston knowing that if went in I was being followed.

Legacy, man. We won on Gibraltar. We won on Eichenwalde. We won on Volskaya. What the hell man lol

Also:

Enemy Mercy: Heroes never die!

Reaper: DIE DIE DIE

Will never not make me giggle like a little kid.

Lulz, I sware.

There is no way you can get me to believe that the people I get on my team are actually trying to win the game.

Playing heroes they have less than 15 minutes on thru all modes, standing in front of enemy spawn on 2cp maps, NEVER switching even tho they are getting punished the whole game.

No one knows how to play this game, 37-6 on KotH but lose 0-3 was the first game of the nite and I should have got the message but I wanted to play some more...lulz.

Blues1990

"No hacks for you"

Every D.Va update gives me new reasons to love her.

"I think this piggy is a bit undercooked." is my personal favourite.

111.gif

"No hacks for you"

Every D.Va update gives me new reasons to love her.

D.Va is forever bae.

Playing heroes they have less than 15 minutes on thru all modes, standing in front of enemy spawn on 2cp maps, NEVER switching even tho they are getting punished the whole game.

Played a comp game with a Hanzo who wouldn't switch, whole team asking him to switch, his response is "it's just a video game, it doesn't matter who wins".

I said "why are you playing comp, just play quickplay".

He said "I like getting golden weapons".

Kain

I thought it was just an internet meme, but nope, I had a Genji yesterday spamming "I need healing" constantly with 190/200 or so. Jumping in front of my face and complaining in the chat. I didn't heal him once. It was qp so no real drama. And we won.

Blues1990

I thought it was just an internet meme, but nope, I had a Genji yesterday spamming "I need healing" constantly with 190/200 or so. Jumping in front of my face and complaining in the chat. I didn't heal him once. It was qp so no real drama. And we won.

Whenever that happens in a QP game, I just go back to spawn, switch Lucio to a self-healing character, and politely say "You can do it yourself".

It always pisses them off.

_Legacy_

This game feels so much different when playing with a good team. Last night with 5-6 stack we went 6-0, and the matches weren't even fair. The only one in which we struggled was Horizon attack, but managed to cap the first point in overtime and then we took B pretty easily. The other couldn't even get A when we were defending. We were playing FUCKING GREAT and not even communicating that much, only the essential stuff, because everybody knew what to do in their respective role. I was so happy yo be able to play Winston knowing that if went in I was being followed.

Legacy, man. We won on Gibraltar. We won on Eichenwalde. We won on Volskaya. What the hell man lol

Also:

Enemy Mercy: Heroes never die!

Reaper: DIE DIE DIE

Will never not make me giggle like a little kid.

GG's dude, been a while since we went 6-0. Yeah we did work in those games and were underdogs in a few of them as well. Horizon was close, I had to switch off Junk because I was getting damage but not too many kills, all about Torb on defense though. Felt good using my ult after I left the spawn room and seeing my turret assisting with 3 kills!

I think this season is all about the 4-6 stack, we've had so much success with it. Last time we went 4-0, this time 6-0. Another win on Gibraltar as well!

Obviously it's great to win but those games were really chilled, I feel like this is how the game should be. Makes such a difference without having a thrower and having good team synergy.

That Reaper ult was perfectly timed as well, haha.

Just won a 6v5 on Anubis. The dude dropped when we were defending and we still held them. Attack was looking pretty bad, but somehow we ended up winning. We had Torb, Sombra, Lucio, S76, and a Junkrat. They all had meta picks...lmao. This was Diamond with a few Plat.

I only got 26 SR for it. RIP

I-hate-u

It's hard to love D.Va right now when how absurd she is in competitive play right now.

Defense Matrix is too damn powerful.

PatjuhR

I can't believe that in this day and age there are still games where people leave the Bastions and Turrets uncontended. Before you do anything you take them out first.

LiK

They also need VAs who can do new voices whenever they can and also attend conventions to meet fans. Crews would be too busy to do any of that.

Banzai

Now that I've reached Diamond I think I'm gonna stop playing Overwatch until they've wised up about what needs to be done.

I mean, Doomfist looks incredibily fun but the last thing this game needs is another fun DPS. It just tells me Blizzard doesn't see the game the way i do right now.

Now that I've reached Diamond I think I'm gonna stop playing Overwatch until they've wised up about what needs to be done.

I mean, Doomfist looks incredibily fun but the last thing this game needs is another fun DPS. It just tells me Blizzard doesn't see the game the way i do right now.

I think Blizzard didn't really have much of a choice with Doomfist. The community whipped themselves up into a fervor over Doomfist after Sombra's release, between Terry Crews and expecting him to be next. Hell, Orisa lost points simply for being "not Doomfist" when she came out. And there really wasn't an option to make him anything other than Offense - maybe another Tank but that would be stretching it.

After Doomfist though, there isn't any big expectations on a particular character so they can come up with some new supports or a defense character that is actually useful in the meta.

Chance

I think Blizzard didn't really have much of a choice with Doomfist. The community whipped themselves up into a fervor over Doomfist after Sombra's release, between Terry Crews and expecting him to be next. Hell, Orisa lost points simply for being "not Doomfist" when she came out. And there really wasn't an option to make him anything other than Offense - maybe another Tank but that would be stretching it.

After Doomfist though, there isn't any big expectations on a particular character so they can come up with some new supports or a defense character that is actually useful in the meta.

Hammond or I riot!

It's hard to love D.Va right now when how absurd she is in competitive play right now.

Defense Matrix is too damn powerful.

But it's like this since July from last year!

It got that buff that allow her to eat the damage imediatelly after it's fired which made her have much more use in pro play after she had the armor nerf but besides that it's basically the same.

I swear people will always find something to compain about even if it was always there since the beginning. Not talking about you specifically.

Someday people will say Torb turret is overpowered.

Hammond or I riot!

That reminds me. So the Hammond rumor was completely debunked now, right? Because Hammond was supposed to be revealed next, soon after Horizon released?

Doomfist coming out also finally finishes off the leak/spoiler from back in January right? Between getting LNY, the next hero being an attempt at a new "anchor tank" and then the hero after that being Doomfist, they pretty much got everything? Was anything else in that rumor?

komaruR

But it's like this since July from last year!

It got that buff that allow her to eat the damage imediatelly after it's fired which made her have much more use in pro play after she had the armor nerf but besides that it's basically the same.

I swear people will always find something to compain about even if it was always there since the beginning. Not talking about you specifically.

Someday people will say Torb turret is overpowered.

It was on console Kappa

Jellie

That reminds me. So the Hammond rumor was completely debunked now, right? Because Hammond was supposed to be revealed next, soon after Horizon released?

Doomfist coming out also finally finishes off the leak/spoiler from back in January right? Between getting LNY, the next hero being an attempt at a new "anchor tank" and then the hero after that being Doomfist, they pretty much got everything? Was anything else in that rumor?
Wasn't it a mei origin cinematic too.

[/b]
It was on console Kappa

The major problem with Torb at the time was the hero stacking, turret was annoying as hell but I felt like after the one hero limit it really didn't make sense to stick with the nerf.

They already buffed the turret a bit a few patches ago, but I wouldn't mind if it went back to how it used to be.

The major problem with Torb at the time was the hero stacking, turret was annoying as hell but I felt like after the one hero limit it really didn't make sense to stick with the nerf.

They already buffed the turret a bit a few patches ago, but I wouldn't mind if it went back to how it used to be.

Ahhh, remember the days of hero stacking with six Torbs on a 2CP and how fun that was. Or when pro KOTH matches would devolve into nothing but Tracers and Winstons trying to stall/cap the point at the end?

Good times.
Not good times.

That was a strange night. For some reason I decided to play solo comp. I ended up going 12-2 and went from a 57% to 66%, 2500 to 2833. I haven't played comp in a long ass time. Near the end I had to stop, I started going up against Masters and people that have been top 500. I'd probably be +3k right now if I played Mercy. Oh well, pretty sure I'll hit Diamond later.

lol

Ahhh, remember the days of hero stacking with six Torbs on a 2CP and how fun that was. Or when pro KOTH matches would devolve into nothing but Tracers and Winstons trying to stall/cap the point at the end?

Good times.
Not good times.

Yeah Torb on console was pretty much broken because of that, with the coin-flip whoever got defense won the game immediately.

I didn't follow the pro scene at the time but I remember watching a game on Lijiang with the teams running two Lucios-Tracers-Winstons and that shit was like the worst thing ever, the stalling was off the charts D:

Top Bottom