• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Veelk

Banned
First time playing Overwatch in a while. Decide to practice Genji in QP.

Five games. 5 Widows. 3 of them looking awfully questionable for a precision character played on a controller. Enemy has more sensible teamcomp alteast half the time. As usual.

LiK

Played some Doomfist in PTR. Pretty fun. Seems easy to get into with his combos. If you're a fighting game fan, he should feel at home when you're trying to mix up combos.

Nimby

Banned
Seagull hasn't played him in a competitive environment yet, and certainly not in any scrims.

Determining strategies in scrims takes time though. You can't just say "He doesn't look too good" based off one persons scrims

Basically it's too early to tell from both sides of the coin.

finalflame

So, I bought the PC version on a whim to try out Doomfist, lol. I then remembered my PC is terrible, I'm struggling to maintain 40 FPS on Medium, ugh. This grind to 25 might actually take me months.

All low + 1x scaling + FXAA my dude. That's how I play on a GTX 1080 Ti and i7-7700K. Overwatch's art style holds up well enough that increasing graphical settings doesn't do all that much visually, IMO. Given I'm shooting for 300fps, but you should be fine turning stuff down and won't notice a difference plus you'll get lower input lag to boot.

Also, if for whatever reason you're running single channel (read: a single stick) RAM, put in a second symmetrical stick (usually a cheap < $40 upgrade) in that bad boy and watch your FPS get way better. Overwatch for some reason relies heavily on dual-channel mem bandwidth.

Ramirez

All low + 1x scaling + FXAA my dude. That's how I play on a GTX 1080 Ti and i7-7700K. Overwatch's art style holds up well enough that increasing graphical settings doesn't do all that much visually, IMO. Given I'm shooting for 300fps, but you should be fine turning stuff down and won't notice a difference plus you'll get lower input lag to boot.

Also, if for whatever reason you're running single channel (read: a single stick) RAM, put in a second symmetrical stick (usually a cheap < $40 upgrade) in that bad boy and watch your FPS get way better. Overwatch for some reason relies heavily on dual-channel mem bandwidth.

I'll give those settings a go, thanks!

Watching people slam into walls and ragdoll is seriously satisfying, lol.

Chance

Doomfist's ult is much easier to dodge.

It will most likely be used for zoning or to combo with another ult such as grav.

I've only seen players taking their time to aim it, which gives enemies a lot of time go spread out. I wonder if it'd be more effective if you used it more like Death Blossom, activating the dive as aoon as the reticle comes up?

Ahh strange. Keeping them all hidden for now I guess.

It'll probably be a quad-kill with his ult and something like knocking someone off the map with his charge attack. Or maybe something like Reinhardt's combo where you have to land a charge, uppercut, and slam all on the same person.

I still don't understand how the passive ability works exactly.

From what I've seen in some videos you gain like 30 barriers when using one of the abilities against an enemy going to a max of 400hp. But it seems like if we are using his ult it can go above that cap.

Here's a really interesting piece from Reinforce, the main tank of Misfits, on Doomfist's high level competitive viability.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...competitive_take_on_doomfist_the_future_meta/

And this is a pretty good read.

Gorillaz

since alot of highlight moves are you looking at them in first person I wonder if they will do one where you see doom go up and as soon as you look up he's just right there in your face lol

This game just gets me so mad

Theres a trophy to destroy 3 sym portals.

The stars align and I play against a Sym whose portals I destroy twice

Then she uses a shield generator. Youd think theyd update the rules to allow this to count but I manage to destroy it and get nothing

First time since I started playing OW with GAF where I logged onto PS4 and nobody was playing OW. Sad times. :(

EDIT: After I say this, I fall into a QP game where people pick Genji, McCree, Hanzo, Widow, and Sombra. Now I understand why nobody is playing.

Doomfist seems okay. Doesn't seem as OP as everyone says.

Can't really say much until he's on live.

I think the fact that he has very little range is going to balance him out a lot more than people think. He's going to have to be up close and personal and his moves, while making him mobile, are going to have a high skill cap. I think he'll be like Genji who is super powerful in the right hands, but there will be lots who think he's cool and then can't do shit with him except die.

Gorillaz

"Is that a pro doomfist" will now be the new line

Seagull already saying he's maining him which means now everyone that watches will think they can pull off half the shit he does on the average

We have come full circle a year later wow. Time really is a flat circle.

The cooldown has to be low because Doomfist has to sustain his shields.

Which made me realize that not only was Roadhog nerfed so Doomfist can shine, but ALSO, Reaper was buffed. Doomfist is a brawler that gets in and sustains himself through shield generation. He would have deleted Reaper's existence, so they had to give Reaper his own kind of sustain.

I said this in an earlier Doomfist thread. Nerf roadhog so people stop crying about his one shots and also to allow doomfist to shine. 2 birds one stone. What really pisses me off is the silence regarding the nerf. People love to praise Blizzard for listening yet they pull shit like this and stay completely silent about it when its obvious what their motives are. I'd have more respect if they flat out said they're nerfing hog for x and x reasons. No matter how dumb they are.

Veelk

Banned
Had an entire game of guys harassing this one bastion main for picking bastion, and at the end, they proposed this paradox.

The guy shouldn't play bastion because he is a bad hero.

We have a hard time because we have bastion on our team (both attack and defense).

He was bad at playing him (the enemy team had an attack bastion too, they ripped us apart)

So they bashed him for being a bad player.

And at the end, they concluded because he is a bad player, he should play bastion.

clara_what.gif

Blues1990

With regards to Doomfist's voice actor (Sahr Ngaujah), he definitely nailed down the vocal tone for a calm, highly intelligent and charismatic criminal that can back it up with enough physical prowess.

I personally can't wait to see how this character will interact with the other heroes from the game down the road, especially with the likes of Winston, Tracer, and Genji.

Play game as 76/Reaper, do mediocre, very short game where we successfully defend point A on Hanamura then cap point B nearly instantaneously, so stats are low.

Gain 20 SR.

Play a marathon game on Gibraltar where both teams push it to the end twice, final score of 7-6, play my heart out as Zenyatta and have an amazing game with stats well above anything I've done with Zenyatta before. Lose by a hair.

Lose 22 SR.

I...I don't understand. Why.

I played the PTR as Doomfist. He seems fun. I can take him down pretty quick with Soldier 76, so the whole OP comments seem overblown. He will probably be nerfed anyways. You can see him coming from a mile away if you are a longer range character.

Ramirez

I don't think ragdolls are affected by the quality settings. Let me know how it goes :)

Welcome, please jump on in, the water's just fine :)

I can stay over 60 with low settings, it looks rough, but oh well. Some of my Destiny buddies are donating me their old PC parts to play D2, so I'll have a fix soon. lol

I feel like watching some of Seagull's streams/videos has actually helped me learn how to play Genji better. Had a decent round as him - not stat wise because my team was awful, but I felt like mechanically I was definitely more competent.

finalflame

I can stay over 60 with low settings, it looks rough, but oh well. Some of my Destiny buddies are donating me their old PC parts to play D2, so I'll have a fix soon. lol

Boom! I think you'll get used to it. I think the game looks great at all low/1080p :)

Measley

Kind of mad that Doomfist isn't a tank, but damn his style is amazing.

Definitely going to try to get good with him.

I'm also going to use him to hunt down Genjis and Tracers!

Play game as 76/Reaper, do mediocre, very short game where we successfully defend point A on Hanamura then cap point B nearly instantaneously, so stats are low.

Gain 20 SR.

Play a marathon game on Gibraltar where both teams push it to the end twice, final score of 7-6, play my heart out as Zenyatta and have an amazing game with stats well above anything I've done with Zenyatta before. Lose by a hair.

Lose 22 SR.

I...I don't understand. Why.

You got screwed by the change they made to stat tracking. Used to be they took an entire game's stats and compared them to others, now it's 10 minute chunks.

It's a helpful change, except when it's not, like in your particular case.

Top Bottom