• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Winston was already getting played in the pro scene

that right there.

due to alot of the changes over time, Dive was already becoming more popular. bubble change was just the nail in the coffin,but it's the not the sole reason.

like I said...If we didn't see ALL of those other changes go through, and the ONLY change was bubble, then this wouldn't be the meta.

thats my point. It's just not bubble. it's a ton of other things. and winston isn't OP. just other heroes aren't viable with the meta due to changes.

Doomfist should change most of that tho, at least in regards to Dva and Winston

I would also say one understated factor is that Tracer basically has no viable counter to her. Like, I don't think she's overpowered exactly, but there's no hero that can specifically deal with her abilities. Mei is supposed to be one, but she basically always dashes away. It's kinda why I want to see Junkrat enter the meta a little. His traps is one of the few things that truly shuts down Tracer.

Tracer one taps a Junkrat quite easily actually. You're right in that nothing truly counters her. To be honest you could say that about a lot of Overwatch's heroes, few characters have counters so devastating that they would be at the level of counters in say, a MOBA. The thing that kind of counters Tracer is that she dies by a lot of abilities due to her 150 health pool. Lots of characters can take her down if the player is not careful, and many Tracer players including myself can attest to dying to some pretty random damage on a semi-consistent basis.

Wanderer5

I didn't realize that 6v6 Elimination came back, so I finally tried a few rounds at it, and oh man is it so much fun! Likely going to be my new favorite mode now.

I feel like we're agreeing, just disagreeing on which metaphor to use.

I just think saying it is THE reason is dismissive of so many other changes that lead to this. I mean, literally every tank got nerfed along the way except dva and winston, among a bunch of other things (lucio change, ana change, zen change, sombra change, etc) all of these changes just compound on each other.

that right there.

due to alot of the changes over time, Dive was already becoming more popular. bubble change was just the nail in the coffin,but it's the not the sole reason.

like I said...If we didn't see ALL of those other changes go through, and the ONLY change was bubble, then this wouldn't be the meta.

thats my point. It's just not bubble. it's a ton of other things. and winston isn't OP. just other heroes aren't viable with the meta due to changes.

Doomfist should change most of that tho, at least in regards to Dva and Winston

I don't think you get my point. Winston and dive altogether was viable, and then Blizzard decided to buff Winston. This took dive from a viable comp to the comp the meta COMPLETELY revolves around. Look at all the other characters getting played in dive.

Lucio - Is Lucio and will always be played.

Zenyatta - Gets played over Ana because discord is strong in dive, his heals can reliably hit small targets, and his abilities don't get blocked by Winston bubbles or defense matrix.

Tracer - Incredibly strong because mobility is king right now, but is somewhat meta dependent and will see less play the tankier the meta becomes.

Genji - Played in dive due to Winston combo and his dash resets. Saw practically no play when the meta was filled with tanks.

Soldier - Strong character but is disrupted heavily by Winston and D.Va.

The key to all these heroes revolves around Winston and D.Va being strong enough to either counter important heroes or amplify heroes into getting played. If Winston was in his current state but all the other heroes here sucked, he would not see play correct. But you could use that argument for every hero in the game to argue their power level. The truth is those two heroes are who is dictating what gets played right now because of their high power levels, and unless Doomfist can counter them hard enough (which I think he might be able to) Blizzard needs to adjust them.

Chance

Tracer one taps a Junkrat quite easily actually. You're right in that nothing truly counters her. To be honest you could say that about a lot of Overwatch's heroes, few characters have counters so devastating that they would be at the level of counters in say, a MOBA. The thing that kind of counters Tracer is that she dies by a lot of abilities due to her 150 health pool. Lots of characters can take her down if the player is not careful, and many Tracer players including myself can attest to dying to some pretty random damage on a semi-consistent basis.

Truth.

I don't think you get my point. Winston and dive altogether was viable, and then Blizzard decided to buff Winston. This took dive from a viable comp to the comp the meta COMPLETELY revolves around. Look at all the other characters getting played in dive.

Lucio - Is Lucio and will always be played.

Zenyatta - Gets played over Ana because discord is strong in dive, his heals can reliably hit small targets, and his abilities don't get blocked by Winston bubbles or defense matrix.

Tracer - Incredibly strong because mobility is king right now, but is somewhat meta dependent and will see less play the tankier the meta becomes.

Genji - Played in dive due to Winston combo and his dash resets. Saw practically no play when the meta was filled with tanks.

Soldier - Strong character but is disrupted heavily by Winston and D.Va.

The key to all these heroes revolves around Winston and D.Va being strong enough to either counter important heroes or amplify heroes into getting played. If Winston was in his current state but all the other heroes here sucked, he would not see play correct. But you could use that argument for every hero in the game to argue their power level. The truth is those two heroes are who is dictating what gets played right now because of their high power levels, and unless Doomfist can counter them hard enough (which I think he might be able to) Blizzard needs to adjust them.

I just think saying it is THE reason is dismissive of so many other changes that lead to this. I mean, literally every tank got nerfed along the way except dva and winston, among a bunch of other things (lucio change, ana change, zen change, sombra change, etc) all of these changes just compound on each other.

also, How many times are we going to keep nerfing Dva?

it sounds like you want 3 tank meta back? Nobody liked 3 tank meta. that was like the worst meta.

Worse than Dive meta.

I don't think anyone wants a "tankier" meta.

Genji saw tons of play before the 3 tank meta. tracer saw play as well. Referencing the 3 Tank meta is the worst.

also, How many times are we going to keep nerfing Dva?

it sounds like you want 3 tank meta back? Nobody liked 3 tank meta. that was like the worst meta.

Worse than Dive meta.

I don't think anyone wants a "tankier" meta.

Genji saw tons of play before the 3 tank meta. tracer saw play as well. Referencing the Tank meta is the worst.

I don't want 3 tank meta, I just want that comp to be viable and not have huge pick disparities that currently exist in the highest levels of the game. A wide variety of team comps and pick rates is the sign of a healthy meta. Overwatch clearly does not have one right now.

Like look at this shit https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-...t-and-meta-report-overwatch-contenders-review

I don't want 3 tank meta, I just want that comp to be viable and not have huge pick disparities that currently exist in the highest levels of the game. A wide variety of team comps and pick rates is the sign of a healthy meta. Overwatch clearly does not have one right now.

Like look at this shit https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-...t-and-meta-report-overwatch-contenders-review

I've seen it.

Overwatch hasn't had great parity since before the 3 tank meta. (even then it was still only flexible in the dps department) So, I don't know what to tell you.

This isn't shocking in regards to Blizzard balancing, if you've played Blizzard games.

it use to be Rein Zarya, lucio Ana, EVERY game. then it was Rein Dva Road lucio Ana EVERY GAME (or Zarya replacing Dva).

then it was Rein Zarya again (and a little Rein Road) and Lucio Ana.

now its Dva Winston Lucio Zen.

Rein not only got nerfed with his best ability, but also is broken, and almost made useless due to Better Sombra play/buffs and with Doomfist, completely useless.

I've seen it.

Overwatch hasn't had great parity since before the 3 tank meta. (even then it was still only flexible in the dps department) So, I don't know what to tell you.

This isn't shocking in regards to Blizzard balancing, if you've played Blizzard games.

it use to be Rein Zarya, lucio Ana, EVERY game. then it was Rein Dva Road lucio Ana EVERY GAME (or Zarya replacing Dva).

then it was Rein Zarya again (and a little Rein Road) and Lucio Ana.

now its Dva Winston Lucio Zen.

Rein not only got nerfed with his best ability, but also is broken, and almost made useless due to Better Sombra play/buffs and with Doomfist, completely useless.

I know about Blizzard's history with balancing I just refuse to accept it as the norm when they clearly want the game to be diverse.

The game actually did have a lot of diversity back in March during Apex Season 2, before Winston got the buff, as seen here.
It wasn't perfect with its hero usage but it was probably the best meta we have had in Overwatch to date. https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-...ta-report-something-strange-is-afoot-in-korea

I've seen a lot of discussion among pros that think Reinhardt might be back in the meta once Doomfist comes because he seems to be a good anti dive character and that allows for more static and tankier comps. Mostly becuase Doomfist can stop D.Va and Winton very well and that can allow Ana to see regular play again.

I know about Blizzard's history with balancing I just refuse to accept it as the norm when they clearly want the game to be diverse.

The game actually did have a lot of diversity back in March during Apex Season 2, before Winston got the buff, as seen here.
It wasn't perfect with its hero usage but it was probably the best meta we have had in Overwatch to date. https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-...ta-report-something-strange-is-afoot-in-korea

I've seen a lot of discussion among pros that think Reinhardt might be back in the meta once Doomfist comes because he seems to be a good anti dive character and that allows for more static and tankier comps. Mostly becuase Doomfist can stop D.Va and Winton very well and that can allow Ana to see regular play again.

And since then which tanks got nerfed? theres part of your answer

Blizz clearly wants the game to be diversed then they gotta be better at balancing. thats on them. but based on history this is nothing new.

sombra counters doomfist. and you know who else sombra shuts down? Reinhardt.

the reason I said Doomfist makes Rein useless is you do know, Doomfist could just right click uppercut Rein and pretty much nulllify the point of his shield if his team then follows up.

and Doomfist can just get away after that if they fail to follow up. Either way, Reins shield is nothing to Doomfist

And since then which tanks got nerfed? theres part of your answer

Blizz clearly wants the game to be diversed then they gotta be better at balancing. thats on them. but based on history this is nothing new.

sombra counters doomfist. and you know who else sombra shuts down? Reinhardt.

the reason I said Doomfist makes Rein useless is you do know, Doomfist could just right click uppercut Rein and pretty much nulllify the point of his shield if his team then follows up.

and Doomfist can just get away after that if they fail to follow up. Either way, Reins shield is nothing to Doomfist

Well yeah I know Doomfist destroys Rein, I just forgot to mention that. I'm just relaying information from the best players in the world, I don't truly know how he would survive in a meta where Doomfist exists.

The only tanks to get nerfed since than were Rein who wasn't seeing play at the time of his accidental nerf anyway and Roadhog who was just barely seeing any play when they got nerfed. I don't see how you continue to argue that Winston isn't overpowered when all the statistics support it and all the pro players say it.

Well yeah I know Doomfist destroys Rein, I just forgot to mention that. I'm just relaying information from the best players in the world, I don't truly know how he would survive in a meta where Doomfist exists.

The only tanks to get nerfed since than were Rein who wasn't seeing play at the time of his accidental nerf anyway and Roadhog who was just barely seeing any play when they got nerfed. I don't see how you continue to argue that Winston isn't overpowered when all the statistics support it and all the pro players say it.

Rein was still seeing play before his nerf. He got nerf, and broke and sombra got better. then sombra play started to get better too.

orisa already sucked (imo) and got nerfed and zarya got nerfed.

every tank except dva and winston got nerfed. Winston isn't OP.

also which pro players said Winston is OP.
I need some receipts on that.

Rein was still seeing play before his nerf. He got nerf, and broke and sombra got better. then sombra play started to get better too.

orisa already sucked (imo) and got nerfed and zarya got nerfed.

every tank except dva and winston got nerfed. Winston isn't OP.

Zarya was nerfed well before Winston's buff and Rein's usage was declining steadily as more and more teams realized the power of dive and learned how to play it properly.

Your statements are not backed up by any facts here, and you aren't saying anything transcendental about game balance. I don't know why you are continuing to fight against an opinion completely accepted by the smartest people in Overwatch. I understand what you mean about the other characters setting Winston up in a favorable meta (I actually think this slightly with D.Va as the meta could not be more perfect for her) but there is nothing that proves he is balanced yet all the other dive characters are OP. Winston (and D.Va) brought all these dive heroes into the meta, not the other way around.

only character that Id say is close to overpowered is Tracer atm. One team's Tracer play can change the outcome of a game and carry a victory by herself. (example envyus, some of the games they won were literally all due to Effect's tracer play)

strength and Op are not only 2 things but 2 different things.
Is Winston strong currently? sure. He's not OP tho.

there were Zarya changes after bubble. and Zarya still got nerfed is my point. whether it was partially before the bubble or not is besides the point.

and you are only proving my point. Rein was declining before his nerf. I was saying that alot of nerfs and changes only propelled Dive as Dive was ALREADY becoming more popular. it wasnt just one bubble change that put this into effect.

Veelk

Banned
Can anyone help me play Genji on console?

Is he just heavily team dependent, or can I just not get good with him for some reason? I have his jump bound to L2, his dash to x, which I think works as well as it can without a m/kB, but I never feel as in control with him as I do other characters. He's very hard to aim with for me. But when I play comp, I see plenty of good Genji's around. I try to use basic strategies, like dashing in only when I weakened the enemy, but more often than not I just get wrecked.

However, this is always quick play where no one gives a fuck. And I have had decent plays with him when the team I'm with is playing competently. Is he one of those heroes that you can only practice in comp with?

Can anyone help me play Genji on console?

Is he just heavily team dependent, or can I just not get good with him for some reason? I have his jump bound to L2, his dash to x, which I think works as well as it can without a m/kB, but I never feel as in control with him as I do other characters. He's very hard to aim with for me. But when I play comp, I see plenty of good Genji's around. I try to use basic strategies, like dashing in only when I weakened the enemy, but more often than not I just get wrecked.

However, this is always quick play where no one gives a fuck. And I have had decent plays with him when the team I'm with is playing competently. Is he one of those heroes that you can only practice in comp with?

I've been practicing with Genji in QP too and I've discovered it's better to practice 1v1s and get his mechanics down in QP before trying full team fight strategies. Mostly because Genji is a character where you need a good/aware team to back him up and do real damage, and you're not going to get that in QP.

Also I have his secondary fire mapped to X and have his jump and dash on L1 and L2 and that has been functioning pretty well for me.

lol just realized you're the same person who said this...

If you are reliably doing that you are facing some really bad teams.

so I cant kill a dva with discord as monkey unless the team I am going against is very bad, but monkey is overpowered

DUDE, which one is it!???!
lmfao you cant have it both ways my man.

LiK

Genji requires good positioning more than anything. Learn the maps inside and out. Know the best routes to health packs. Tons of Genji guides out there cuz everyone wants to learn him.

only character that Id say is close to overpowered is Tracer atm. One team's Tracer play can change the outcome of a game and carry a victory by herself. (example envyus, some of the games they won were literally all due to Effect's tracer play)

strength and Op are not only 2 things but 2 different things.
Is Winston strong currently? sure. He's not OP tho.

there were Zarya changes after bubble. and Zarya still got nerfed is my point. whether it was partially before the bubble or not is besides the point.

and you are only proving my point. Rein was declining before his nerf. I was saying that alot of nerfs and changes only propelled Dive as Dive was ALREADY becoming more popular. it wasnt just one bubble change that put this into effect.

I'll make one more response here because I'm at work and it's obvious we aren't reaching much of a common ground lol. I think about Tracer what you think about Winston, that she's not OP and should be changed but just that she's really strong in the current meta. I say that because she has gotten no changes since beta and yet her pick rate has been all over the place. That being said, I do think that Tracer players have gotten better with her over time and unlocked her full potential, particularly with how strong her pulse bomb can be in the right hands. There may come a time where she should be looked at for nerfs but I wouldn't go there yet.

Your second point is basically my above paragraph, although I will say that a hero's potential strength doesn't really matter if they aren't seeing much play. In a game with as few characters as Overwatch, a character's power level is pretty surface level in most situations.

I get what you mean that dive was already increasing, but if dive was already a balanced comp in the meta, wouldn't a huge Winston buff severely amplify the comp's power level?

I guarantee you all this talk will end up being pointless as Doomfist will hold Winston back anyway lol. That's the upside of having a lot of characters, there are more counters to keep specific heroes and team comps in check.

Genji requires good positioning more than anything. Learn the maps inside and out. Know the best routes to health packs. Tons of Genji guides out there cuz everyone wants to learn him.

I'd also recommend watching Seagull play Genji. Mentioned it a few pages back, but his videos really helped me learn optimal Genji positioning. Don't watch for the OMG team wipes with Dragonblade, but how he uses the verticality of levels to his advantage, routes he takes to health packs, how he engages and disengages teamfights, etc.

lol just realized you're the same person who said this...

so I cant kill a dva with discord as monkey unless the team I am going against is very bad, but monkey is overpowered

DUDE, which one is it!???!
lmfao you cant have it both ways my man.

Winston is OP but he's not THAT OP to where he can jump to the enemy backline and shred a D.Va mech on an every game basis.

I'll make one more response here because I'm at work and it's obvious we aren't reaching much of a common ground lol. I think about Tracer what you think about Winston, that she's not OP and should be changed but just that she's really strong in the current meta. I say that because she has gotten no changes since beta and yet her pick rate has been all over the place. That being said, I do think that Tracer players have gotten better with her over time and unlocked her full potential, particularly with how strong her pulse bomb can be in the right hands. There may come a time where she should be looked at for nerfs but I wouldn't go there yet.

Your second point is basically my above paragraph, although I will say that a hero's potential strength doesn't really matter if they aren't seeing much play. In a game with as few characters as Overwatch, a character's power level is pretty surface level in most situations.

I get what you mean that dive was already increasing, but if dive was already a balanced comp in the meta, wouldn't a huge Winston buff severely amplify the comp's power level?

I guarantee you all this talk will end up being pointless as Doomfist will hold Winston back anyway lol. That's the upside of having a lot of characters, there are more counters to keep specific heroes and team comps in check.

theorycraft aside. Winston isnt OP.

Winston is OP but he's not THAT OP to where he can jump to the enemy backline and shred a D.Va mech on an every game basis.

So Winston isn't OP. Got it.

Owzers

True genji's don't need guides or tactics.

theorycraft aside. Winston isnt OP.

So Winston isn't OP. Got it.

Because Winston can't do one specific action where he overpowers a counter and half the enemy team that means he's not OP? You're being very dishonest. I won't argue it anymore, I'll just let the data stand and let the opinion of every professional in this game show the truth.

So after thinking about it, here are my character rankings:

Prefer to play and have decent skill level with:
Reaper, Tracer, Junkrat, DVa, Winston, Lucio, Symmetra, Zenyatta

Not my favorites to play but technically competent with:
76, Torbjorn, Reinhardt, Zarya

Like playing but skill level depends on meta:
Mei, Orisa, Roadhog, Ana

Like playing as but have little to no skill with:
Genji, McCree, Pharah

Flat-out don't like playing as them regardless of skill:
Sombra, Bastion, Mercy

Will only play if Owzers is on my team trying to main a new hero:
Hanzo, Widowmaker

Because Winston can't do one specific action where he overpowers a counter and half the enemy team that means he's not OP? You're being very dishonest. I won't argue it anymore, I'll just let the data stand and let the opinion of every professional in this game show the truth.

does the data show winston is "OP" tho? what data? pick rate? by that logic Lucio has been the most overpowered character since this game out and still is.

stop it

Nimby

Banned
This is the second time we've had a "dive meta"

First time we had 50% discord and you ran Winston, Tracer, Lucio and Zarya all the time with Genji/Reaper as second DPS. Winston usage was rising close to 70% and Rein had dropped to almost 30%, then Zen nerfs and Ana was introduced. It was a really short meta phase, because before that you ran dive exclusively on KotH and Reinhardt comps elsewhere and it was just starting to shift.

Key point being, Winston was always good. D.Va might have had some untapped potential, Winston/D.Va dive comps were popular on maps like Numbani, but she also had 500 HP and it was before she got a buff to her defense matrix; this limited D.Va play a lot. The buff to her DM made it so it worked well, before it was stupidly inconsistent and you ran D.Va because it was triple tank and she was immortal. My fear is that if D.Va is nerfed, we got a secretly OP McCree and/or Reaper running around and without DM to shut them down you get some other busted and oppressive meta that overstays its welcome.

So I guess the whole point of this was, Blizzard need to take buffs/nerfs more liberally, except for most of the defense heroes and Symmetra (basically heroes who have always been super niche and borderline unplayable depending on the meta). Spend time trying to identify the issue with the current meta so you can make it less powerful but still a viable composition. Then work with the less powerful heroes so they can form new compositions or fit into old ones. Like others have said, there was a long period of time where triple tank and dive co-existed and was very evenly distributed in pro play.

finalflame

This thread: X hero killed me too many times in comp, they're OP! BLIZZ NERF NOW!

YXShJ.gif

I swear to god. Ever since launch. Someone gets salty because they got killed by some hero in comp too many times and snowball it into a "pls nerf".

Blizz needs to buff characters that aren't being used and not nerf the ones that are. Nerfing them won't make the other characters anything but useless.

finalflame

finalflame, you finally changed your avy

I did, I was tired of misleading you guys :p

I wish I could jump into the "the hero I hate to have to fight is OP" conversation a bit more constructively right now but I'm at work so shitposting will have to do until I can sit down at home and write down my thoughts long-form.

This thread: X hero killed me too many times in comp, they're OP! BLIZZ NERF NOW!

YXShJ.gif

I swear to god. Ever since launch. Someone gets salty because they got killed by some hero in comp too many times and snowball it into a "pls nerf".

Seriously though they should nerf McCree

Nimby

Banned

YXShJ.gif

Winston and D.Va's situation is not this. Winston and D.Va are dominating the ranked ladder in more than just GM now, Rein and Zarya usage has dropped significantly and Roadhog has completely tanked. It's not just pros anymore, ranked is picking up on the strats and their pickrates only continue to climb.

PC_Usage_Overall.png

does the data show winston is "OP" tho? what data? pick rate? by that logic Lucio has been the most overpowered character since this game out and still is.

stop it

When it comes to pro play you generally go by pick rate for who the strongest characters in the game are because they know what they're doing.

And yes Lucio is the most OP character in the game but he second Blizzard theoretically puts in another support that affects speed that would change.

I did, I was tired of misleading you guys :p

I wish I could jump into the "the hero I hate to have to fight is OP" conversation a bit more constructively right now but I'm at work so shitposting will have to do until I can sit down at home and write down my thoughts long-form.

Wait this was referred to me? I play quite a bit of Winston lol I'm just honest with myself and the state of the game.

Anne

I don't really use GAF anymore, but I can't resist being extremely petty here to say "I told you so" about Winston bubble buff. I remember people telling me things like CD was only nerfed over stacking or that he was only ever good in tournaments. Shit's wild y'all.

I've come up with some changes that should balance out the meta:

DVa - giant red button on the back of her mech that you can melee to automatically eject her from her mech

Winston - you can break his glasses with a headshot and instead of getting angry now he sits in a corner and cries the rest of the match

Pharah - every time you want to use her rocket jump you have to play a QTE mini game that changes buttons randomly each activation

Genji - every time someone presses the "healing" request as him he commits harikiri

Mercy - Each Rez now causes the next loot box to be earned to be white white blue white; this can stack over multiple loot boxes

Tracer - Recall has a 33% chance of sending her so far back in time she turns into a baby

I think this'll fix the meta guys.

Top Bottom