• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Anne

Why does everyone hate Hanzo?

He is only good if the Hanzo player is super legit, and being super legit at Hanzo is pretty difficult. He's very popular, and since he requires a large amount of skill to be passable you generally don't get a passable one on your team. Then when you play against Hanzo it's never fun to get hit by scatter. P easy to see why people don't like him.

LAM09

Managed to get to the final two Bastions in Uprising on Expert and then, it all fell apart. Reins that rush in are killing it.

jviggy43

Why does everyone hate Hanzo?

Anne covered some good points but I'll add- on top of needing to be super legit with Hanzo, which is especially difficult on console, there is virtually ALWAYS a better option for your team left on the table. Utility and opportunity cost, while he can be useful and some maps you see pros pull out Hanzo and a widow for (King's row for example), its generally for the first push and then its back to someone who is going to give your team a lot more flexibility and chemistry then someone who can't really push points and relies on precision headshots to get picks with. Also unless you combo his ULT, its generally pretty useless (although when you combo it you can get a team wipe if done properly).

Additionally, scatter arrow is a bullshit mechanic designed to give a character more of a fighting chance due to his inefficiencies as an all around character. If it brought me down to like 10hp and required one more shot, I would never bitch about it but because a character shoots a random scatter into a crowd and takes me from 200-0 instantly with no actual intent to aim at me, I will continue to advocate this is the most bullshit mechanic in the game.

Don't pick Hanzo.

Anne

I think people focus a bit too much on ult charge these days. Ever since the ult nerfs and team comps less dependent on ults have popped up it's not as big an issue. Doing somethign that leads to a play that gives up some ult charge is always more worth it. You'll get your ults anyways.

I posted this on the Overwatch forums; thought I would share it here as well:
Hello everyone!

I have only been playing Overwatch since January, but from the moment I first picked him I fell in love with Roadhog. He's absolutely the perfect character for me, and he is a big part of why I spend so much time on this game.

When Roadhog was changed in a previous patch to have a hook cooldown of 8 seconds while having a lower spread on his LMB, I was understanding. The hook combo is a powerful tool, and getting one every 6 seconds might have been a bit much. I thought 8 seconds was fine. I still think 8 seconds is fine.

However, the hook changes have led to some consequences that lead to a less enjoyable Roadhog experience.
1) When the hook was on a 6 second cooldown, it fit perfectly into Roadhog's reload rotation. Hook, kill, 3 shots, reload, and you have hook back up as well. With hook on a 6 second cooldown, Roadhog has to rely on his main weapon more. The developers realized this, and gave the LMB better spread, but I think another change is needed: Roadhog needs an increase in his ammo clip. Right now, he just spends too much time reloading; if his main gun is supposed to be used more, it should get more capacity. I think 5 or 6 rounds would be fine.

2) Roadhog's hook used to get some ridiculous kills, and it's good that the hook is more consistent now. However, the current coding eliminates most skill hooks as well. Right now, if I jump off a ledge toward someone to get enough reach to grab them from a platform, even on a hit my hook will break as I lose line of sight on the player. I do not think a change that lowers the skill cap of a character is a good one, and more importantly, these little tricks add a lot of fun to the character. I'd like it if the team continued to work on refining the code behind Roadhog's hook to allow for these situations to happen again.

3) When Roadhog's hook was initially "fixed" to always pull the target in front of him, it made the combo a lot more consistent, and as a low level player I found this refreshing. I knew who I could kill, and who I could not kill. After increasing the hook landing range to 3.5 meters, the kills became inconsistent. Can I kill Mei? Sometimes. Can I kill Ana? Maybe. It would be nice if the combo were just a bit more consistent than it is now. I've also felt like, because I have to move forward a bit to perform the melee hit portion of the combo, I often have to leave Roadhog in a more dangerous position to complete my combo, which means I have to play shy.

None of this about balance - I have no idea if Roadhog is balanced. I'm not that good at the game. But I do notice things, and he is less fun to play after the last patch changed him.

Regards,
Karst

exYle

I agree with giving Roadhog an extra shot in his gun, but not two. Losing hooks from LOS is an unfortunate consequence, but a necessary one to avoid any more bullshit hooks through walls - sorry, that one's gone and should stay gone. I have no real thoughts on your last point.

I agree with giving Roadhog an extra shot in his gun, but not two. Losing hooks from LOS is an unfortunate consequence, but a necessary one to avoid any more bullshit hooks through walls - sorry, that one's gone and should stay gone. I have no real thoughts on your last point.

I was thinking that a timer on the hook could change how it acts: if the target has been pulled for >0.2 seconds, then it always completes. That would eliminate the bs hooks while allowing for the skillshots, I think.

pizzacat

Banned
how can you charge a double barreled with more than two, reduce it by two

add three more seconds to hook cd for even thinking he should get more things

darklin0

Banned
The line of sight change is still bullshit in my opinion. >_>

I still blame Blizz for not properly animating how the chain reacts to environment, when you predicted the path of an enemy were able to throw a hook and dip behind cover.

I think Hog's in a good place now, his sluggish burst damage is part of his design so I really don't think giving him more ammo is a good idea. However, if any any further change were to be made to the hook, I think it would be appropriate to more dramatically reduce the momentum of the target at the moment of the hook, or for the hook to more rapidly begin to reel in once connected.

Speaking of momentum, I think a similar consideration could be made to McCree's flashbang, something like the duration of the stun only beginning to count down once that target's stationary. It's just real annoying to have the brief window of opportunity squandered because the enemy was still sliding around after being stunned.

My goodness, I can't seem to get any experienced players in Uprising mode. Why are there people with less than 500 SR playing Legendary mode?

Apathy

please blizzard, please bring back avoid player, I promise i will only use it to get away from horrible people that main widow/sym/hanzo and not the good ones

liezryou

I just came back to OW after a couple of months and i was quite bamboozled why roadhog felt so much different then before (he is my most played by a longshot). I was thoroughly confused when my perfect hooks into LMB weren't one shotting people they should have. Also i was reloading way more then i used to inbetween hooks.

To be fair, roadhog was a bit too strong back before these nerfs. However, now he feels really underwhelming. I think an increase to his magazine size would be a good step in the right direction.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
DFJ2BaG.jpg

SmU44w2.jpg

599d89220d4dd11bbbfe655865861e07f70e8f5f8af77e3dc6399a3c149e9fbe_1.jpg

shanafan

Match finding question..

I play Overwatch on PC, and there can be some downtime between matches, maybe like 1-2 skirmishes. It's not always fluid to go from one match to the next. Is this a player count issue?

For console players, Xbox One for example, do you notice a similar trend of 1-2 skirmishes between matches?

It gets annoying when I get called a Kephrii copy when I play quick play/competitive. Can't help what my name is man.

My group of friends used to all have gamertags that were just animal names. When we made the move to PC, we all kept them. One of them was Seagull. He is no longer Seagull thanks to a certain pro Overwatch player.

Foxxsoxx

Why is this game so insistent to match me up with 400-700s in Quick Play when I just hit level 100... I'm not even that great and I'm going against people with 5x my playtime...

I wouldn't mind it if it was a rare occasion but no, it's almost every match it's just a lobby of incredibly high skilled players. Hell I was going against 1000s earlier.

I wouldn't even mind if they were high levels but not amazing but nope, they're all beasts that know every in and out I'm telling you guys Blizzard is out to get me.

Dekutulla

Is there a bug with Roadhog's hook or something? I've had people I've hooked shoot upwards above my reticle twice now. The first time I thought it was because a Lucio on my team alt-fired them at the same time, but it happened without that recently.

Achieved the dream of a nice Orisa play of the game in my first real comp game with her, great way to cap off a night of great games with folks from here.

Top Bottom