• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Yager

Banned
I honestly think this is the worst time to be solo Qing, try and find another to two stack or more, it's much better. I played with some near useless randoms today. From a random McCree who couldn't deal with a Tracer for a whole game, to a throwing widow who nearly cost us on Nepal. Also had a Tracer constantly wandering off alone and getting killed by enemy McCree on Gibraltar (on defence!!!).

The majority of these clowns all had more SR than me, that's the real kicker. To be fair we won those games but as a Reinhardt, should I really have to use my ults on solo enemy Bastion every time because our dps can't deal with him, also why am I having to over-extend to kill the enemy Mercy, isn't that Tracer's job?

Think I've said it a few times but the mentality of some people in this game never cease to amaze.

Randoms right now are beyond annoying. I don't like to brag about the game, but I'm 100% sure that most of the games we won yesterday went like that because of us. And I don't count that Oasis game, because it would've been an easy win if that guy didn't disconnect.

Also, we shouldn't have played those last 3 games, those were so awful. At least we ended up in a positive note overall thanks to the afternoon games.

Just read a couple of the posts above complaining about randoms ruining games, so I am not sure how much help I am going to get with this, but here goes.

I have never played Overwatch, but I have finally picked a copy up after listening to people constantly talk about the game on podcasts, at work, at the pub and just about everywhere. I am not great at online shooters, however I have always been able to jump in a win a few games of your usual COD deathmatch style modes and on those you can't really ruin others enjoyment by being shite anyway.

So good people of Gaf, any tips, tricks, advice on beginning characters or anything else you may have would be much appreciated and if I see you online...I'm sorry.

Just read a couple of the posts above complaining about randoms ruining games, so I am not sure how much help I am going to get with this, but here goes.

I have never played Overwatch, but I have finally picked a copy up after listening to people constantly talk about the game on podcasts, at work, at the pub and just about everywhere. I am not great at online shooters, however I have always been able to jump in a win a few games of your usual COD deathmatch style modes and on those you can't really ruin others enjoyment by being shite anyway.

So good people of Gaf, any tips, tricks, advice on beginning characters or anything else you may have would be much appreciated and if I see you online...I'm sorry.
Honestly just play the objective and fulfill your character role and you're doing better than most of the people everyone complains about :p

If you're a healer, find somewhere safe that allows you to heal your team without being killed. If you're a tank, don't run off and flank, stay with your team and help them.

Try and find a character you like and just play them. A lot. You'll get used to them, the feel etc, and work our your own strategies to deal with situations as you play. Then try and branch out and get good with someone from another class (Damage/Defense/Tank/Support) and hopefully be reasonably good with one or two from each.

Also just have fun. For 1 + 1/2 seasons I was basically a Mercy/Ana main but this season I've started playing more Reinhardt and Pharah in Comp and done pretty well, but I figure it also puts me in a better standing for Season 5 because I have more to offer the team :/

If you play Quick Play, don't worry about Team Composition too much. Most people don't seem to take QP even remotely seriously so its not that uncommon to run into a team that would give a Comp player palpitations.

Well I figured I should finish my placement matches for the points if nothing else.
I kept pondering why I kept getting matched up with people clearly above my skill level...

hFWSbnq.jpg

huh? nooooo, nah, that ain't right and this isn't humility, I lost more than I won, I was barely in diamond last I checked.
WHAT'S HAPPENING?!

Basically my matches have felt like this
506146.jpg

*reads post*

Master? Out of placements?

*stares at my SR*

giphy.gif

Honestly just play the objective and fulfill your character role and you're doing better than most of the people everyone complains about :p

If you're a healer, find somewhere safe that allows you to heal your team without being killed. If you're a tank, don't run off and flank, stay with your team and help them.

Try and find a character you like and just play them. A lot. You'll get used to them, the feel etc, and work our your own strategies to deal with situations as you play. Then try and branch out and get good with someone from another class (Damage/Defense/Tank/Support) and hopefully be reasonably good with one or two from each.

Also just have fun. For 1 + 1/2 seasons I was basically a Mercy/Ana main but this season I've started playing more Reinhardt and Pharah in Comp and done pretty well, but I figure it also puts me in a better standing for Season 5 because I have more to offer the team :/

If you play Quick Play, don't worry about Team Composition too much. Most people don't seem to take QP even remotely seriously so its not that uncommon to run into a team that would give a Comp player palpitations.

Thank you both very much, I appreciate it. Will jump in later and see how I get on.

*Oasis loads*

*immediately hit it off with team, do great together. We go up 2-0 running dive comp, both points captured 100% to 0%*

*third map loads, Winston goes Orisa, Soldier goes Mccree, Dva goes Hanzo*

Me: "Hey guys the game isn't over yet we shouldn't be memeing like this we'll probably lo-"

Team: "Nah dude, it's fine, these kids blow!"

*lose map*

*lose next map with no change in comp*

*lose third map with no change in comp for the reverse sweep*

I just... I just don't get it. I don't know. It perplexes me to a point where I want to maniacally laugh. Why do people do this? I have played multiplayer games my whole life and no other game has EVER had people do the strange things they do in Overwatch. They were all legitimately upset when we lost too, as if they couldn't understand why we lost... man.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akt56iQXyI4

zzzzz

Had 3 koth maps in a row tonight be comebacks from 0-2. The ups and downs of pseudo salt.

*Oasis loads*

*immediately hit it off with team, do great together. We go up 2-0 running dive comp, both points captured 100% to 0%*

*third map loads, Winston goes Orisa, Soldier goes Mccree, Dva goes Hanzo*

Me: "Hey guys the game isn't over yet we shouldn't be memeing like this we'll probably lo-"

Team: "Nah dude, it's fine, these kids blow!"

*lose map*

*lose next map with no change in comp*

*lose third map with no change in comp for the reverse sweep*

I just... I just don't get it. I don't know. It perplexes me to a point where I want to maniacally laugh. Why do people do this? I have played multiplayer games my whole life and no other game has EVER had people do the strange things they do in Overwatch. They were all legitimately upset when we lost too, as if they couldn't understand why we lost... man.

Upload footage of this stuff pls, I want funny viewings.

ohkay

This one.

Please don't use it though because if you do, you are ruining the game for everyone, not just the people on the other team.
This doesn't sound like an exploit. By leaving people behind to cap the flag again, they are shorthanding themselves if the entire other team is trying to recap their flag, so they should have an advantage in numbers.

2 legendaries (Pharah, Genji) and 2 purples (Tracer, Sym) in ~20 boxes so far, not bad.

It sucks when you see a purple/legendary pop and it's either regular stuff or currency, been getting a lot of purples and also two other legendaries not event related :(

So much good stuff in this event... not enough.

Back to back boxes: new Pharah legendary and then new Pharah guitar emote.

FeelsGoodMan

Instalocking Pharah from now on before Biscuit can get her?

FeelsAmazingMan

I've been playing all morning and had a lot of fun. Now I'm a newcomer to the game, so I decided to go against CPU with other players first and we fared quite well. I could have known that would come to an instant stop as soon as I truly went online against other players.

Good lord my ass gets demolished in ridiculous ways and everything I did during those CPU matches didn't matter at all here. Undoubtedly I was fighting against a few, if not all die hards that have been there since day one. That's my thing with getting into a online game much later, will I actually stand a chance?

I am planning on buying it and I will play as much as I can against others but also CPU for practice and hopefully I can get better and be an actual challenger to others. Of course as soon as your own team starts being lone wolves it's over anyway.

Limit

New to this game as well. I have been spending half of my time with healers. You can contribute a lot with them. Healer DJ is my fav.

Limit

Learn to master his walljump.

Yeah I should. Still in the phase of trying out characters and "what does this button do" mentality. Fun game.

BTW game came heroes of the storm Jaina key and hearthstone cards pack key. No interest in any of them. If anyone wants it let me know and it's yours.

I tried some matches in Arcade mode, well I didn't stand a chance at all, holy shit some people are fast and accurate.

But a few matches via quick play and it seems alright now. But maybe I'm wrong but getting into games like BF for example generally isn't this hard. I mean that in the sense of constantly getting killed left and right. I don't play BF1 much at all but when I do I still stand a chance.

But I'll just keep playing. I still enjoy it. :)

The 3v3 changes feel really nice. I feel like Blizzard has made it viable enough to be a major game mode on its own. It would be better to watch an eSports version of their 3v3 mode than it feels to currently watch competitive 6v6 right now.

Gorillaz

I tried some matches in Arcade mode, well I didn't stand a chance at all, holy shit some people are fast and accurate.

But a few matches via quick play and it seems alright now. But maybe I'm wrong but getting into games like BF for example generally isn't this hard. I mean that in the sense of constantly getting killed left and right. I don't play BF1 much at all but when I do I still stand a chance.

But I'll just keep playing. I still enjoy it. :)

Yea stick with quick play for a little bit then branch into arcade.

OW has a different vibe then BF and Cod since it pretty much relies on how well you know the hero your playing, how does it for with your team and then how does it setup against the enemy team.

Of course I got the D.va dance emote with my free PC box.

Since I fell in the hole of messing with every character's controls, for controller, are there any widely-used button remaps?

I know the big one is for Lucio you change one of the shoulder buttons to jump.

LiK

Comp is over. People taking their gold heroes into solo q in QP and playing like it's Comp. Cant even play it casually without getting stomped.

Finished my placement matches and ended up at 2200 SR.

I still will not be doing more competitive outside of placement matches. 6 out of 10 of my games had a leaver either on my side or the enemy's. It took 3 times to get into my last match because someone left immediately. People get ridiculously angry over any tiny thing that goes wrong; if we aren't curbstomping then to them we're a shitty team. I imagine its a lot better with a 6 man static group, but when you're doing it solo or with a 2-3 man group then it honestly seems like Russian Roulette and I'd rather be forced into that in QP or Arcade.

Perhaps I'll finally get a golden gun after season 6 ends?

I guess the lesson I learned this season in comp is that being a good healer is fine and dandy but you're relying on your DPS to pull through which is it's own goddamn nightmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akt56iQXyI4

zzzzz

Had 3 koth maps in a row tonight be comebacks from 0-2. The ups and downs of pseudo salt.

Upload footage of this stuff pls, I want funny viewings.
I'm thinking about streaming my time in OW purely to have a record of all the insane shit I go through lmao. Also, it'd be a good way to work on my gameplay (reviewing VODs).

My last game of the night was my team winning 5-4 on King's Row with a 6 DPS team comp. My team was so tilted after our defense stage that we all went DPS ("Shit DPS, I'll do it ffs." *everyone instalocks DPS*) and we just plowed through them lmao. I honestly couldn't believe it.

Anyone have general tips for playing CP maps?

I lose 3/4 of them. Once the enemy team gets nested, I don't know what to do to get them out.

For example, one team rolled Dva, Rhein, Hanzo, Mercy, McCree. I couldn't even tell you who the 6th was because we could barely get to the front line because of the Hanzo and McCree. Dva would chase down and immediately PUNK any squishy that tried to infiltrate.

I guess the lesson I learned this season in comp is that being a good healer is fine and dandy but you're relying on your DPS to pull through which is it's own goddamn nightmare.

Can be. I have had a ton of Comp games this season where I've been healing all over the place and keeping people alive as much as possible and sometimes the DPS have felt so ineffectual you'd swear we were down a few people. People still get offended at the slightest amount of criticism that could be nothing more than "Could you change to X? They might be more effective on this map/vs their tank(s)" but oh well :(

I feel like a pretty poor DPS if I play anyone outside of Pharah, but I feel like I have a good idea about target priority...yet I'll sometimes be in a game with a Soldier and another DPS and they don't attack the enemy Rein and it feels maddening.

I just bought Overwatch for PC after getting a new laptop. Up to this point, I've been a PS4 only player. I'm about level 250ish on PS4 with almost all of the skins from every event, as well as countless intros, sprays, etc. And damn does it hurt to start over from square one. It really, really hurts.

I know that JKap has made some claims regarding the reasoning behind not having PC & console accounts linked in terms of loot unlocks--something about licensing, basically pushing the blame to Sony and Microsoft--but I reaaaaaaaally wish I could bring my loot with me across platforms. I know asking for levels/competitive rank/etc to be cross-platform would be problematic, so I just want loot. JUST GIVE ME MY LOOT!

Chance

Fought a gold gun enemy Tracer on Lijiang last night and got a PSN message immediately after the match from her telling me I'm the best Tracer she's come across a while, with a smilie face.

: O

I was speechless. Never had my Tracer work complimented, unprompted, by an enemy before. Told her her Tracer was scary ^.^

This season needs to end so I can get my golden guns!

Fought a gold gun enemy Tracer on Lijiang last night and got a PSN message immediately after the match from her telling me I'm the best Tracer she's come across a while, with a smilie face.

: O

I was speechless. Never had my Tracer work complimented, unprompted, by an enemy before. Told her her Tracer was scary ^.^

This season needs to end so I can get my golden guns!

Ha, that's awesome. I like it when that happens. Got complemented on my Mercy a bunch, but when I started to play Pharah it was rough at the start :( Eventually I got ok/good and bumped enemy Rein off the map 5 times in a row on Nepal Temple (the indoor one with a pit). On the 5th time he alt + f4'd before he died. I take that as a compliment.

2353 and on a winstreak ugh I wish I didn't have to go out today lol

this might be my first season where I didn't reach plat and it's mainly because I just didn't play enough

when does s5 start? tuesday?

I SiR MartY I

Neo Member
Comp is over. People taking their gold heroes into solo q in QP and playing like it's Comp. Cant even play it casually without getting stomped.

I was just about say the same thing. I've tanked quite a bit of SR today from people picking heroes they have no time on and costing games.

Had a support main with nearly 80 hours on support characters pick Junkrat, a hero they've got 38 minutes on. A 12 hour Pharah picking Hanzo and people just running DPS heroes they've no experience with.

I had to stop, while I don't think people should be banned from picking a hero they're not good with, they should at least run them in QP to get a feel for the hero and their abilities instead of diving straight into comp and ruining it for others. Going to stop before I go mad, losing game after game isn't fun.

Overbuff doesn't make any sense. I had a 100% winrate on Winston and 66.7% winrate on D.Va this season. I just won a game where I played Winston on offense and D.Va on defense, and now my winrate is 75% and 50% respectively.

Just dropped 100 SR in 3 games (50 in one alone) as Mercy totally neglecting any progress I made today. All because of the same thrower in all three games.

I lost one before that strictly because the team wouldn't listen and group up. I play healers because they're my best characters, but in the 3000 SR range it's really frustrating seeing otherwise good players blow the match by running in as a solo Hog against 3+ players all the while you're saying in chat to group up.

Don't mean to rant. Just stupid salty right now

Top Bottom