• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacific Drive | Review Thread

Trilobit

Wait! Why are there literal communist and transgender flags in a game about driving a car through a spooky zone?

Is this a DEI game? I was intrigued by the concept and the atmosphere looks top notch, but I just can't deal with that ideology.

Terenty

Yeah, it's a shame actually, after having played the demo I was about to buy it, but then it turned out the devs filled the game with the LGBTBARBEQ flags and stickers and I noped out.

Will not support this insanity in any way

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Donald Trump Rnc GIF by Election 2016

There are a variety of cosmetic stickers to find! Some of them reference life in the Pacific Northwest, your journey through the Zone, urban legends, etc.

For max clarity on including the pride flags in the detail station inventory at the start - we wanted to include these stickers because the representation of these communities is important to us, and we wanted players to have access to them immediately without the RNG of finding them on a trip into the Zone. Felt weird to make people 'hunt' for their own representation.

This is something we as a studio made the decision to include, and something we'll continue to stand behind.

iw studio (via reddit):

my question: so, aside from the lgbtq 'communities'(?), the rest of us are just sorta left to deal with our own 'representation'?...

it's glaring, built-in incoherence basically doomed this crap from the get-go...

raduque

What's really gonna piss y'all off is two of the radio voices are gay for each other.

As for the devs pushing their gender politics via gaming, well, I'm just not going to buy anymore of their games and I'm not going to play PD again.

I enjoyed the game, but once was enough, and I pretty much never talked about it again after finishing it. Instead, I'm going to start hyping Star Trucker!

What's really gonna piss y'all off is two of the radio voices are gay for each other.

As for the devs pushing their gender politics via gaming, well, I'm just not going to buy anymore of their games and I'm not going to play PD again.

I enjoyed the game, but once was enough, and I pretty much never talked about it again after finishing it. Instead, I'm going to start hyping Star Trucker!
hey, these devs are free to do whatever they want with their games, imo. it's the moronic, holier than thou community/representation so-called 'explanations' that are getting old. they make no damn sense. you either 'represent' everyone, or you don't, eh? so why is this particular 'community' constantly being singled out?...

Trilobit

One commenter in the reddit post above asked why they didn't just make it a free DLC instead. Good question, but then I read more about the company and they seem to use the game as a vehicle(no pun intended) for their ideology and sexuality.

So I'll pass on it. Glad I checked before buying as I was planning on getting it for PS5. Steam is much more generous with their refunds. Star Trucker looks sweet though, I'll wait for that instead. I just hope I can customize my cabin similarly to the space trucker episode on Cowboy Bebop.
Spider_Mike.jpg

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I heard insanely good things about this game from my friend who usually has good tastes. The only reason I haven’t gotten it yet is because I sold my Steam Deck.

I, quite literally, know nothing about this game except that it’s some kind of survival game where you drive a car. Sounds pretty cool. I’ve got enough to play at the moment, but I hope it comes out on game pass.

Top Bottom