• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

This game looks really good on the 3DS XL screen.

Is there not a way to pick which enemy you want to attack?

Roto13

I'm tempted to stick all of the Thing STickers in the museum just for the Sticky Wiki entries. I've only put the fan in there, but the description was funny. Voice modulator. :p

zroid

Banned
Some of you are really making it hard to not want to pick up this game immediately. Glad those "omg this isn't Paper Mario, what have they done with it?!" posts aren't indicative of the majority of players' impressions. Game sounds freaking awesome!

Except for the dialogue and the aesthetics, just don't go in expecting what you think a "Paper Mario game" should be, and I think you'll be fine. While it's incredibly different, so far I haven't found that to be a bad thing at all... if you keep an open mind.

There really is nothing else quite like this game, that I can think of anyway.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Oops I bought it.

Sorta ticked off about the comment after the first main boss, "wow you used a lot of fuckin stickers huh, maybe you shoulda used a different one," referencing a Thing Sticker that I had no way whatsoever of knowing that I'd need, and only an idiot would be carrying around for no reason, eating up all sorts of room in their inventory.

I'm fine with how the battle went, just annoyed by that comment! As if I should have known, somehow!

Except for the dialogue and the aesthetics, just don't go in expecting what you think a "Paper Mario game" should be, and I think you'll be fine. While it's incredibly different, so far I haven't found that to be a bad thing at all... if you keep an open mind.

There really is nothing else quite like this game, that I can think of anyway.

Reading stuff like this makes me want to play it even more. I liked SPM a lot so I guess I am already open to change.

The sticker museum sounds great. I get really addicted to stuff like that. Reminds me of the Nintendo museum thing in Wind Waker. I know I will have to get every single one.

jrDev

If you start a battle in a pool of poison and then stand around without taking an action for a few seconds, you'll take damage.
I kno, found out the hard way :p
I didn't actually notice that. So if you match 1 and 3, but not 2, do you attack the first and third enemies?
Not necessarily, I probably didn't word that correctly. The battle spinner slots stack, so if you miss the middle slot but match the first, you will get 2 turns, the second turn usually attacks the next enemy if the sticker is a single enemy sticker (as oppose to attacks hitting multiple enemies). Each turn slot just moves to a different enemy and then recycles back to first. For eg, scored 3 attack slots but only have 2 enemies, you put 3 jump stickers in slots. First jump attacks first enemy, second attacks second, third cycles back to first. Let me know if I worded that correctly lol...
This game looks really good on the 3DS XL screen.

Is there not a way to pick which enemy you want to attack?
I posted about this above ^^

I'm really loving it. The battle system is fun. The environments are interactive. I love pulling the stickers off stuff, the text is default fast, and the game is very beautiful, especially with that "looking inside of a glass" 3D and the pop-out 3D as well.

I tend to get excited when I find shiny stickers. Also I like the unintentional throwback to Mario RPG with the World Map. It was the first thing I thought about.

What do the different background colours behind each sticker mean? I assume in things blue is main quest and pink is not?

I really like how the reflections in the stickers move with the 3DS gyroscope!

Most RPGs start you out with such limited options that the first few hours of battling consists of doing the same thing over and over. What I love about this game is that it throws so many different stickers at you within a few minutes, and continues adding new ones so that you never have to resort to simple jumps and hammers if you don't want to.

Mory Dunz

Wait a second!

Does Bowser not talk in this game??

Him having a personality was such a great aspect that stemmed from the original Mario RPG. The game still looks great,but if he doesn't talk, that's a bit disappointing.

Can anyone confirm? I don't own the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got about 30 minutes into this, liking it so far. For whatever reason seeing the fact that the shiny stickers reflection is based on where you move the 3ds is fucking awesome to me, lol.

Rootbeer

Banned
Could not be happier with my purchase of this game... looks gorgeous (3DS XL here), funny, and the music is really really catchy. I'd heard mixed reactions over the music but I adore it. I keep humming the Decaltown theme!

I hope nintendo puts Super Mario RPG (snes) and the three GBA/DS Mario & Luigi RPGS on the eShop >.< I want to own them on my 3DS!

Artemisia

Banned
Newegg needs to get their shit together.

oprah7.gif

This shit is projected to arrive next Monday, a week after release. First VLR and now this?

Velcro Fly

Welp someone already linked to Trihex streaming. Guess I should read more of the topic before I post!

I will say that watching the stream is getting me hyped to play this game. Between the Epic Mickey demo and this stream, I will have a very fun first Christmas with my 3DS!

CrisKre

just finished level 4. Holy shit! this game keeps getting better. The charm-o-meters in the las couple of worlds just went berserk. Got me loling a few times. The
boo hunt
theme park cue and rollercoaster
and
the snow lifts
have been some of the most incredible levels with the most creative touches Ive played in years. Right now its tied with Super Mario 3d Land and Kid Icarus as the best game on the system, and I officially dont know what the FUCK reviewers where talking about. I didn't lack any item at all during the game so far. Some instances need thinking through but everything here is impecably designed. May be my GOTY (this and kid icarus anyway).

Nose Master

It's been said, but everyone who is poo-pooing the fact this isn't TTYD: quit. I was doing the same, and bought it on impulse. Everything (including the battle system) works. You don't want to fight enemies since you're not getting experience? Then don't.
But you'll miss out on sweet ass mariachi hat stickers.

It's actually harder (RPG wise) than every other Mario RPG I've played. I died in this once. Never got close in M&L, SMRPG, or previous PM games.

Fabrik

Banned
The GT review convinced me the game hasn't any big problems. Can't wait to play it. The focus on puzzles is a plus for me.

dock

Would it be bad to make this my first Paper Mario?

I've never played my Gamecube copy. It always sounds super long.

I'm also worried that I'll get Mario-fatigue. It comes out after NSMBU in the UK.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm also worried that I'll get Mario-fatigue. It comes out after NSMBU in the UK.

I think its my first too. Played a couple of mario & Luigi games on DS which are RPGish.

I might try and put some space between NSMBU and this, but lets see how long it takes to get through NSMBU first. If its fairly quick to do a basic run through, then I'd be happy getting this a week later.

Bernbaum

What are folk's opinions on this as a Paper Mario game?

I've played all of them and wanna now how this compares to previous entries.

NEO0MJ

No problem at all to make this your first PM game. It's not like there's a plot and this plays very differently from any other Mario title, Paper or otherwise.

just finished level 4. Holy shit! this game keeps getting better. The charm-o-meters in the las couple of worlds just went berserk. Got me loling a few times. The
boo hunt
theme park cue and rollercoaster
and
the snow lifts
have been some of the most incredible levels with the most creative touches Ive played in years. Right now its tied with Super Mario 3d Land and Kid Icarus as the best game on the system, and I officially dont know what the FUCK reviewers where talking about. I didn't lack any item at all during the game so far. Some instances need thinking through but everything here is impecably designed. May be my GOTY (this and kid icarus anyway).

whaty_zps131ab938.gif

So is this game worth picking up if you hated Super Paper Mario? I loved the Superstar Saga on the GBA but i've only played about an hours worth of the original Paper Mario and not played Paper Mario 2 at all.

Murrah

Banned
What are folk's opinions on this as a Paper Mario game?

I've played all of them and wanna now how this compares to previous entries.

Paper Mario's probably my favorite series (I dunno why I haven't been posting in here either) and this is an awesome game thus far but it's definitely way different than the others. It's like a cross between the structure of SMRPG and some kind of turn based strategy game. I wasn't feeling the game at all until I played it myself, but the battle system really is one of the most manically creative things I've ever experienced (even without the partners)

It's really hard for me to look at the first two PM Mario games objectively, but I honestly can see SS surpassing in at least the battle system department. And it's certainly better than SPM, and I actually liked (60% of) that. But it's definitely its own thing

StAidan

Well heck, the response on this thread has basically sold me on the game. I'll put it on my Christmas list though. My wife is pretty sure I've spent enough money on video games this year.

The only Paper Mario I've played thus far is SPM (Wii), which I absolutely hated because of the endless boring dialogue. Sounds like Sticker Star doesn't have that problem, and the battle mechanics sound really cool to boot.

Now to wait a month and a half to play it :(

watershed

Banned
So after putting in another hour or so into this game I am completely sold. I haven't been stumped by any obtuse puzzle yet. The battle system has really grown on me. I love the pace of battle and just how fun it is. The enjoyment I'm getting from this game reminds me a lot of playing TWEWY for the first time. There's just a sense of freshness and a brisk pace to both games. Bit of an odd comparison though.

Top Bottom